• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater: Resurrection |OT| "You have three orders..."

Not a problem. I also edited the list since I figured out a few more VA's (or at least became more certain of their roles).

Finally getting around to starting this. Always have trouble customizing my MC to have just the right look. In the meantime, does anyone have any good idea on who the VA's are for the created character? Here's what I got for the female MC:

Voice 1: Christine Marie Cabanos (Madoka from Madoka Magica)
Voice 2: Erica Mendez (Ryuko Matoi from Kill La Kill)
Voice 3: Eden Riegel (Isabaeu in Shin Megami Tensei 4)
Voice 4: Cristina Vee (Shantae)
Voice 5: Erin Fitzgerald (Chie Satonaka from Persona 4)
Voice 6: Cindy Robinson (Makoto Nanaya in Blazblue)
Voice 7: Bonnie Gordon (Rainbow Mika from Street Fighter V)
Voice 9: Caitlin Glass (Elma from Xenoblade X)
Voice 10: Lauren Landa (Karin in Street Fighter V)
Voice 11: Erica Lindbeck (No clue)
Voice 12: Julie Ann Taylor (Kokonoe in Blazblue)
Voice 13: Cassandra Lee (Lin from Xenoblade X
Voice 14: Carrie Keranen (Irina from Xenoblade X)
Voice 15: Abby Trott (No clue)
Voice 16: Marisha Ray (Effie from Fire Emblem Fates)
Voice 17: Kira Buckland (The "independent" avatar voice in Xenoblade X)
Voice 18: Wendee Lee (Haruhi Suzumiya)

I have no clue on the rest of the female voices.

As for the guys, Here's what I got, confirmed or otherwise.

Voice 1: Robbie Daymond (Tuxedo Mask in the Viz Sailor Moon dub)
Voice 2: Vic Migonogna (Edward in FullMetal Alchemist)
Voice 3: Christopher Corey Smith (The Emperor in Final Fantasy)
Voice 4: Matthew Mercer (Chrom in Fire Emblem Awakening)
Voice 5: Lucien Dodge (Amuro Ray in Gundam Origins)
Voice 6: Doug Erholtz (Squall Leonhart in Final Fantasy)
Voice 7: Dave B Mitchell (Liu Bei in Dynasty Warriors 7 onwards)
Voice 8: Todd Haberkorn (Natsu Dragneel from Fairy Tail)
Voice 9: David Vincent (Jin Kisaragi from Blazblue)
Voice 10: David Lodge (Jiraya in Naruto)
Voice 11: Steve Staley (Hubert Lhant in Tales of Graces)
Voice 12: Either Michael Sinterniklaas (Gwin in Xenoblade X) or Sam Riegel (Phoenix Wright). Seriously can't tell who it is between these two.
Voice 14: Bryce Papenbrook (Take your pick)
Voice 15: Keith Sliverstein (Mondo Owada in Dangan Ronpa)
Voice 16: Kirk Thornton (Jin in Samurai Champloo)
Voice 18: Kaiji Tang (Odin and Shiro in Fire Emblem Fates)
Voice 20: Grant George (Shinjiro in Persona 3)
Lenka: Robbie Daymond (He's also SwaySway in Breadwinners)

Pretty sure voice 13 is voiced by a woman. The rest I can't figure out.

Also quoting for the new page.

Edgeward

Took down the Dyuas Pita, end of chapter 6 boss. Hard enough to bring that bastard down but then they had to add a Prithvi as well. Hard to seperate with just your cpu buds. Took 25 mins to do, first time it ever even went past 20+. Had the cpu die a few times too. Nit to mention myself. Had to stun grenade spam once it got to the 5 min warning because nonway I wanted to retry that mission again

Still on chapter 6, progressing slowly every week day as I play it during my lunch at work lol.

EDIT: just finished the chapter, which means I am done with vanilla and go on to the Burst story section. Woot.

Also, I added a bunch more review links to the OP for folks to check out. I included the one you mentioned Li Kao!

ChrisDM

Still on chapter 6, progressing slowly every week day as I play it during my lunch at work lol.

EDIT: just finished the chapter, which means I am done with vanilla and go on to the Burst story section. Woot.

Also, I added a bunch more review links to the OP for folks to check out. I included the one you mentioned Li Kao!

Gaming Trend is wylin' hahah nah, game just isn't for everyone and I totally get how some aspects can be a bit grinding on people (pun intended?).

Gaming Trend is wylin' hahah nah, game just isn't for everyone and I totally get how some aspects can be a bit grinding on people (pun intended?).

That's the very nature of these games though. It's like saying shooting enemies in a shooter game is repetitive :p Well yeah it is, but that's how these games work.

At least amongst the grind you have a story, crafting and customization to push you forward.

ChrisDM

That's the very nature of these games though. It's like saying shooting enemies in a shooter game is repetitive :p Well yeah it is, but that's how these games work.

At least amongst the grind you have a story, crafting and customization to push you forward.

Absolutely. I do feel glad at least that we live in a world where you can find a reviewer/Youtuber/blogger/whatever that you have similar tastes with and we no longer have to solely rely on reviewers or entire publications that will dismiss a genre entirely.

Absolutely. I do feel glad at least that we live in a world where you can find a reviewer/Youtuber/blogger/whatever that you have similar tastes with and we no longer have to solely rely on reviewers or entire publications that will dismiss a genre entirely.

Yeah I was actually thinking of not even including reviews because of people's fixation with the numbers, but I hope that at least folks can find some insight into the game by reading them. Again, the big item is GE2RB sure, but this is a great remaster of a cool game that sets a lot of systems and story up for it.

Edgeward

The last few parts of Chapter 6 are just lazy. Do a mission, the Doc asks for mats related to the previous mission, give mats, and then it repeats for like 3-4 times. You don't even fight anything new or in a new area, just easy rehashes. Oh well, I think I am on to the real boss of this and completing the normal story.

Gonna have to start partying up with people because the CPU allies are now at a point where they will exhaust all their restoratives and die a couple times

Beat it! Took a while to figure out how to damage it but I ended up stumbling onto a good pattern. Sakuya died too damn much though in the fight.

I may have just found a bug? I just completed the 3rd mission in Rank 7, and a cutscene showed up at the end. That is all fine and well, but the odd thing was how the narrator was speaking in Japanese while on the background, the character's voice acting was clearly that of the English counterpart. It's worth noting that the game was supposed to be completely dubbed, and has no option for Japanese audio.

Anyway, that aside I had forgotten about how Burst felt the first time I played it. GE Vanilla (up to chapter 6) is great and all, but the designs remain the same. With the Burst expansion (which is what we got anyway) more chapters were added, along with story and new monsters to battle. Again I had totally forgotten how the Burst section felt like an iteration to GE. The story segments and cutscenes feel more dynamic, the enemy designs are more interesting and the battle animations look cooler. All of this translates very well to this remaster, which gives this section more powerful weapons along with a handful of new predator styles that allow for some really cool combos.

ChrisDM

I may have just found a bug? I just completed the 3rd mission in Rank 7, and a cutscene showed up at the end. That is all fine and well, but the odd thing was how the narrator was speaking in Japanese while on the background, the character's voice acting was clearly that of the English counterpart. It's worth noting that the game was supposed to be completely dubbed, and has no option for Japanese audio.

Anyway, that aside I had forgotten about how Burst felt the first time I played it. GE Vanilla (up to chapter 6) is great and all, but the designs remain the same. With the Burst expansion (which is what we got anyway) more chapters were added, along with story and new monsters to battle. Again I had totally forgotten how the Burst section felt like an iteration to GE. The story segments and cutscenes feel more dynamic, the enemy designs are more interesting and the battle animations look cooler. All of this translates very well to this remaster, which gives this section more powerful weapons along with a handful of new predator styles that allow for some really cool combos.

I wish you had a video of that bug lmao and cannot wait to get past Chapter 6!

I wish you had a video of that bug lmao and cannot wait to get past Chapter 6!

I do have it, as a matter of fact. Even though I played on my Vita this is something that I could easily record by transferring my save to my PS4 and going to my movies archive in the game and use the share function.

The cutscene's name is "Wandering Soul" for those who are wondering, and again, it can be viewed in the archive once you get past that point in the story. I went back to double check and it is still playing with two different audio layers so it wasn't just a one time bug. They most likely forgot to switch the audio files for this specific narrator speaking.

I tweeted at them about it, since this may still be something they can patch before the game releases everywhere on the 30th, although I'm not sure of its something that can be done easily across all platforms, and whether it is even worth it if there are no legal implications.

ChrisDM

I do have it, as a matter of fact. Even though I played on my Vita this is something that I could easily record by transferring my save to my PS4 and going to my movies archive in the game and use the share function.

The cutscene's name is "Wandering Soul" for those who are wondering, and again, it can be viewed in the archive once you get past that point in the story. I went back to double check and it is still playing with two different audio layers so it wasn't just a one time bug. They most likely forgot to switch the audio files for this specific narrator speaking.

I tweeted at them about it, since this may still be something they can patch before the game releases everywhere on the 30th, although I'm not sure of its something that can be done easily across all platforms, and whether it is even worth it if there are no legal implications.

Just saw your tweet, so hoping they will see it and respond. Going to retweet and tag them again!

Been playing this a lot recently, how's the online community?

Apparently it isn't crazy active from what I hear, but you could pretty easily find someone to play with albeit with some caveats.

Edgeward

Whoa, facing a Hannibal for the first time. You can tell this was a new monster for the expansion. So much more details and animations in it.

OniBaka

Apparently it isn't crazy active from what I hear, but you could pretty easily find someone to play with albeit with some caveats.
Actually yeah it's not out in eu regions yet but when it does it would be 2 that would be active.

I'm half way on difficulty 6 I think.

UCBooties

Ugh, I just got my butt kicked in the mission Regal Bones. It was especially annoying because Hibari started the mission by saying how important it was to keep the two Aragami seperated and as soon as I engaged the Kongou to try to draw it off the Pita came running. That is not a good map for trying to keep Aragmi seperated.

I find the Pita pretty obnoxious overall actually, even in missions where it is the only enemy. I haven't found a gear combo that works well for it, most of the time its just pouncing all over the place. I never die as often against any other kind of Aragami as I do against that thing. I've only failed two missions so far and both were against that the Dyaus Pita.

Yes, Pita is very annoying on its own. Add a Kongou spinning all over the place and this mission becomes quite the challenge if you don't mind your defence and heals. It's a fight in which you gotta keep moving and chipping damage off the two. Kongou is the easiest to put down so he will go down first. After that you will still have about half or so of health on Pita, but it will be significantly easier to fight it.

UCBooties

Also, can I just take a moment to say "fuck Kanon?"

Now that
Sakuya and Alyssa
are gone she's the last pure medic available. Playing any kind of melee buld with her is a nightmare, especcially short blade. Have fun trying to get anythig done when your teammate is constantly kocking you away from the enemy or knocking you into it's attack range.

I still don't like shortblades, even with the improved arial combo, three hits just isn't enough to justify how low their damage output is. I'm trying different things since I wasn't getting anywhere with a hammer against Dyaus Pita but I can tell you that the shortblade isn't it. I was hoping that the option to both slash and pierce was going to make them great for going after enemy weakpoints but it really hasn't been working out for me.

UCBooties

Oh, no doubt she has the best quotes. I love her good mission quote:

"Hey, I did pretty good today! Almost no friendly fire or anything!"

And I'm just like... but you shot me 30 times?

Edgeward

For those types of missions, I try to order the group to split up and hope you can catch one of them on a 2 v 1. Takes a few tries but you gotta deal when it's just you and the AI. Has to be easier with humans to divide and conquer.

SkyOdin

Ugh, I just got my butt kicked in the mission Regal Bones. It was especially annoying because Hibari started the mission by saying how important it was to keep the two Aragami seperated and as soon as I engaged the Kongou to try to draw it off the Pita came running. That is not a good map for trying to keep Aragmi seperated.

I find the Pita pretty obnoxious overall actually, even in missions where it is the only enemy. I haven't found a gear combo that works well for it, most of the time its just pouncing all over the place. I never die as often against any other kind of Aragami as I do against that thing. I've only failed two missions so far and both were against that the Dyaus Pita.

Dyaus Pita is a nasty opponent no matter what. They actually changed it pretty heavily for Ressurection too. The blade wings are completely new to this version of the game, and they changed all of the weapons you can make form its parts (not the only changes to Aragami from previous versions). So it might be ever tougher than it was originally. I guess that comes with being upgraded to a Deusphage.

The only advice I can relate is to try to engage it from long range instead of close range. A sniper rifle can help a lot against Pita. Keep your distance when you can, stay healed, don't let it trap you in small rooms.

The 2nd Corrosive Hannibal fight in Difficult 10 is really hard, its attacks do so much damage and it keeps dual wielding. I don't have a lot of space here >.>

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
The 2nd Corrosive Hannibal fight in Difficult 10 is really hard, its attacks do so much damage and it keeps dual wielding. I don't have a lot of space here >.>
stun grenade and snare trap will help you give a breathing room. Try to target his non-gauntlet hand since it will down him. When he does his dual wielding, block it or move toward his back. Good luck.

Also, can I just take a moment to say "fuck Kanon?"

Now that
Sakuya and Alyssa
are gone she's the last pure medic available. Playing any kind of melee buld with her is a nightmare, especcially short blade. Have fun trying to get anythig done when your teammate is constantly kocking you away from the enemy or knocking you into it's attack range.

I still don't like shortblades, even with the improved arial combo, three hits just isn't enough to justify how low their damage output is. I'm trying different things since I wasn't getting anywhere with a hammer against Dyaus Pita but I can tell you that the shortblade isn't it. I was hoping that the option to both slash and pierce was going to make them great for going after enemy weakpoints but it really hasn't been working out for me.

You could try double jump, predator, or dash so that you reset to neutral stance allow you to do another aerial combo when using shortblades.
For example: aerial combo->predator air->aerial combo-> jump -> aerial combo-> airdash-> Aerial combo. Not really useful against Dyaus Pita, but it sure is useful against flying enemy.
As for Dyaus Pita, i'm using elemental shortblades to defeat him. Try to slash his back leg or front leg to down him, then when he grow his wing, he will start doing his quick pouncing attack. Pay attention to his movement since he will always end it with blade wing thrust. Then he will usually do 'growl taunt'. That's a good time for you to attack. And use stun grenade and Snare trap to help you.

The "Dog Mines" mission was thus far the closest call I've had in this game. Used up all my endurance, all of my healing items too. I was able to finish both enemies with only 3mins to spare. I was SWEATING.

Jamiaro

I have not played any Monster Hunter-esque games before. Is this a good game to start? Considering either this or Toukiden: Kiwami.

Edit: And it seems that I can't buy God Eater: Resurrection from EU PSN without Preordering God Eater 2. Sucks ass.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Done with the game story mission.final boss (mission 13 last story mission) is a bitch so i 'cheat' a bit, i'm using gun build to HDH that aragami in less than 5 minutes...

Fun game from start to finish. A bit repetitive by design and the stage and background was clearly a leftovet from psp version. Character art looks nice, bgm are great. So yeah, i enjoy my time with it. Think i'm going to finish optional mission and challenge before truly done with this game and i'll definitely will play GE2RB when it released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgZ8Y7djtQc

raw

I'm not ready.

Edgeward

With how good GE2 looks, I am thinking of stopping two weeks before release so I don't get burned out.

Until then, gonna make a bee line for the end game

With how good GE2 looks, I am thinking of stopping two weeks before release so I don't get burned out.

Until then, gonna make a bee line for the end game

Yup there's that too. GE2RB is an improvement to the formula in every single way. I wanna go in full of hype, don't want to burn myself out specially since I have played Burst before.

Ascheroth

Still better than us PC folks. Can't even start with Resurrection until 2 is out :(
Well, I'm going to take my time with that one regardless. No need to rush..

UCBooties

I'm into the Burst story line now and I'm back to maining scythe and assault. Some of the new predator forms unlocked after
the end of the main story line
are awesome. It feels like it's a lot easier for me to stay in burst now and I have a fairly simple bullet recipe that has been working well for a lot of fights at mid-range. I'll see how far down the upgrade tree I get before I get to the end of the story.

I'm into the Burst story line now and I'm back to maining scythe and assault. Some of the new predator forms unlocked after
the end of the main story line
are awesome. It feels like it's a lot easier for me to stay in burst now and I have a fairly simple bullet recipe that has been working well for a lot of fights at mid-range. I'll see how far down the upgrade tree I get before I get to the end of the story.

The enemy design improves so much right off the get go once you finish the Vanilla campaign. It really makes me look forward to whatever other forms they added to GE2RB.

Ephidel

Finally got around to starting this in the last week or so.

I tried to recreate my GEB character.
I couldn't seem to get a match on the eye shape I used back then and couldn't quite get the skin right, but decided it was close enough :)

Then I got to the voices.

Oh dear god, so many of them are irritating. Can I be a mute? :|
It was so hard to find one that I both liked and didn't think would drive me crazy.

To be fair, the voice actor for 4 is freaking awesome with how well she sells the manic singing thing, but I could not play with her voicing my main. I actually like 5 as well for similar reasons, the voice actor is great, I just... don't think I can bring myself to use that voice myself.

I was very tempted to use 6, but I think I'd find that voice a little too distracting.

In the end it was between 7 and 9.
7 had the upside of the call 'How can I be out of bullets? They're not out of living' and the downside of the call 'I need some scouts to go find me those monster-baddies'.
9 sounded relatively normal, a little military... I went with 9.

I'm now stuck with someone who I'm pretty sure announces that she needs a "deity sized deuce" on occasion after missions, even though I know I never heard that phrase during my mass voice-testing spree ¬_¬

Testing all the weapons I still prefer long blades and spears (although I do miss spinning my spear around). I quite like scythes too, it feels a little overpowered but maybe that will even out later. It's fun to mess around with, anyhow.
I'm still not a fan of short blades, but I am practicing a bit because I'm sure I'll need one sooner or later. I did laugh at the fact they've made spear and scythe versions of the Yang blade though.
Also, for the first time ever buster blades have clicked. It's weird. I've never been a buster blade person, but after some practice on some unfortunate Chi-Yous it's kind of working for me.

Overall I'm probably swapping weapons more than I have in any of the previous games. I'm still definitely not making proper use of gun-form though.

They seem to have been a little sloppy with the editing. Mostly missing words, but also spelling errors.
The character interludes seem to suffer from more oddness than the main story (... or maybe that's just because I've played entirely too many side missions just so I could get more character interludes instead of actually progressing with the story).
On top of the spelling mistakes and missing words, in several of them the voice acting doesn't match the subtitles. In some of them it's almost unnoticeable (Alisa has some spoken contractions that are written out in full) or very minor (Licca's 'sneak a peek' versus 'take a peak'). In others it's more obvious, like Brendan's 'free the beast', albeit mostly because that voice fragment is used in multiple versions of the scene, so you're more likely to hear it. One of Kota's is quite different too, with the spoken text being "Dr. Sakaki looks all benign with that smile but he can be frickin' draconian" versus the written "Dr. Sakaki can be a real tyrant, you know?"

The skill stuff is worse. The name-swapping that leads to "binder" being a skill that inflicts hold, not bind, is almost intentionally irritating.
The Oracle Absorption personal ability is messed up too, using Melee ATK HP Absorb's description instead of the one that says it gives OP, the way you'd expect a skill named Oracle Absorption to (and the way the skill description that shows up if you press start, or go to the skill database, says it does).
And mission text is also a bit iffy. I remember a couple of mentions of sunder damage when GER doesn't actually use the term Sunder (GEB used sunder/crush/pierce, GER uses slash/crushing/piercing).

Going back to the interludes though, I really like them, they're fun.

Hitting the gym with
Brendan
TJImh1g.jpg
bRitebQ.jpg

Combat training with
Kanon

Flower arranging with
Shun

Investment For Dummies with
Karel

Drinking with
Lindow

Listening to music with
Gina

Freaking out
Hibari
with
Tatsumi

Shogi with
Gen

And there's quite a few variations, which is cool. Anyone know how many variations each character has?

I never had a 'shipping target' for my character in the original GE, but I think I'm totally into Gen this time. ... or would be if it wasn't implied that my character is below drinking age at best and younger than Kouta at worst. Kouta is 15. Gen is 62. There's age gap relationships, and then there's whatever that would end up being.
:(

Ah well.

I assume (characters)
Annie and Feddie
will get interludes when
their non-alt versions show up
? They
do still show up, right? Actually, when the 'real' versions show up to do they replace the alts or show up in addition to them or what?
. Hrm. I'm curious now even though I hadn't given it much thought beyond how weird it was to
have them available at the start before

UCBooties

I took a few days off from this game but now I'm back into it on the Dificulty 8 missions. I don't think I'll ever get the hang of the bullet crafting aside from basic things like sticking a bomb orb to an enemy or converging lasers.

One thing that is bugging the hell out of me though is this: What the hell am I supposed to do with GAP? I still haven't found anything to spend it on.

Ephidel

The Hold Hits I personal ability costs GAP (a whole 1), and I assume based on its name that later on a Hold Hits II might appear, which would also cost GAP, but that's me guessing.

That's all I've seen so far, but then I'm only just starting Difficulty 5.

Edit: Actually, now I've done the Kongou mission there are a bunch of personal abilities with a GAP cost.

So Pre-Difficulty 5
Hold Hits I (1Gap, 25Ap)

Difficulty 5+
Trap Stock I (1Gap, 150Ap)
Restore Post Stock 1 (1Gap, 150Ap)
Hold Hits II (1Gap, 75Ap)
Attack Up on Aid II (1Gap, 150Ap)
Defense Up on Aid II (1Gap, 150Ap)
Attack Up on Rescue II (1Gap, 150Ap)
Def Up on Rescue II (1Gap, 150Ap)

Difficulty 5+, Character Specific (Characters in brackets and spoilers)
Healing Shot : Adjust (2Gap, 600Ap) (
Shio
Annette (Alt)
)
Healing Beam (2Gap, 1000Ap) (
Shio
Annette (Alt)
)

SkyOdin

Finally got around to starting this in the last week or so.

I assume (characters)
Annie and Feddie
will get interludes when
their non-alt versions show up
? They
do still show up, right? Actually, when the 'real' versions show up to do they replace the alts or show up in addition to them or what?
. Hrm. I'm curious now even though I hadn't given it much thought beyond how weird it was to
have them available at the start before
Glad you have been enjoying the game. To answer that question though:
Fredrico and Annette do show up with their normal gear when the story gets to the Burst chapter. They do get interlude scenes too. Strangely enough, they the real versions exist as completely separate characters from the Alt versions. So not only are their personal skills different, you can deploy two Annettes at once.

Also, I sympathize with your trouble in finding a good voice for bringing back a character from the PSP version. They new voices just don't match up with the originals at all.

Update for the Voiceover bugs.
That is really nice! If a little late, considering I saw the end of the Burst storyline just last night. I haven't seen any major bugs such as Japanese voiceovers, but one of the game's most dramatic lines delivered at the climax of the Burst storyline had a voice/text mismatch.

Overall, the localization is kinda strange in this one. It has a ton of charm, but has a ton of problems with editing for grammar and story consistency. I often get the impression that the localizers simply gave the voice actors a LOT of freedom in interpreting their lines and characters, and based most of the localization on what the voice actors did rather than the other way around. While I may never know if that is true or not, the emphasis was certainly on character personality rather than overall consistency and coherence.

Despite the some of the problems with editing, I have been enjoying the story. The main story was more fully fleshed out with story scenes than I remembered, and had pretty good pacing for the most part. The Burst storyline was a fair bit more padded out than I recalled, but the cutscenes were really good. As a whole the game has had some trouble sticking to its main plot and developing it properly, but it is quite ambitious for a game of this genre and manages to make things a lot more fun than a pure material grind would be. It certainly is a lot better than the mess that was Freedom Wars. And now I get to see the new stuff they added for this version. Hopefully it isn't too much of a grind, since I've been falling a bit behind on my weapon upgrading over the last two chapters.

OrochiJR

Just a quick question about preordering GER and GE2RB in Europe since the OT doesn't really answer it: I understand that in the US you get GER to download immediately upon preordering digitally. Is this true for Europe also, or do you get GER only when GE2RB releases?

I would cancel my physical and switch to digital if I could get some GER in before the launch of part 2.

Top Bottom