• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War 3 spoilerepicrific thread of discussion

gow3-banner.jpg

Here we discuss everything from beginning to end about God of War 3. There are no restrictions as to saying if the game is shitty, good, mediocre or anything about it.
Now don't come here and compare it to any other game on another console. Only PS3 owners of the game and PS3 comparison only!

Now Ill start!
Great story and a shocking ending but wtf with Gaia betraying kratos and telling him he was a pawn. I know it all started with the great war of the titans but I think Kratos had the right to kill Zeus from the beginning and would love to see the titans being at his side always and helping him kill the gods! It was both sides war! Kratos had enough betraying! Killing his family from the beginning was enough and then Zeus?!

godofwar3boxart.jpg

I just finished it, the first half was amazing, but I thought that the second half really drug and the ending was kind of meh. It is still my favorite of the 3 GoW games. I just wish that there was more gods to kill and less puzzles to solve.

-PXG-

I approve of this thread. I haven't beaten the game. I just rescued Pandora and making my way out of the Labyrinth. This game...this fucking game. Just wow.

I loved it. But I do think putting a titan in the last scene of the game would have really finished the series on an epic note.

I do like the symmetry of a tree life and blue flame playing a large part in the ending of UC2 and GOW3.

I really liked the experiment of the Zeus fight with fighting game mechanics. Stig told HipHopGamer that he thinks they have a very good fighting engine and they thought about adding a two-player fighting game mode, but couldn't get it in. I get what he means after playing that Zeus fight. Not that it's any great shakes by fighting game standards, but it would have been good fan service.

-PXG-

templeusox said:
I loved it. But I do think putting a titan in the last scene of the game would have really finished the series on an epic note.

I do like the symmetry of a tree life and blue flame playing a large part in the ending of UC2 and GOW3.

Uncharted 3: You go back in time to ancient Greece.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The 2D portion of the final fight was really enjoyable. Just lots of countering and timing. I like that. Brutalizing Zeus was kind of nuts. You could just mash O until your hand falls off.

I was tremendously disappointed with the lack of Linda Hunt.

I loved chasing Hermes around in the rain. Fight with Hercules was fucking boss, I also really liked that crazy ass scorpion boss that just came from left field.:lol

shwimpy

Credits are rolling as we speak... Ending itself was okay but how it was presented was pretty badass. Although, the first person stuff made my head hurt.

Boss battles (except for the Scorpion) were amazing and the combat was perfectly tweaked that it felt so smooth. I finally used another weapon in the series!

Graphics were obviously top notch and I really can't see another developer top it any time soon. (Last Guardian, maybe?) Just jaw-dropping set pieces and character-models.

oh, and lol @ that one (Frequency-like) puzzle that Sessler was flabbergasted at. It felt so out of place but thankfully it was short and easy.

Sony devs are on a fucking roll. Can't wait to see what SSM has in store next.

...FUCK, I missed the last scene after the credits as I was typing this. Can someone tell me what happened?

shwimpy said:
Credits are rolling as we speak... Ending itself was okay but how it was presented was pretty badass. Although, the first person stuff made my head hurt.

Boss battles (except for the Scorpion) were amazing and the combat was perfectly tweaked that it felt so smooth. I finally used another weapon in the series!

Graphics were obviously top notch and I really can't see another developer top it any time soon. (Last Guardian, maybe?) Just jaw-dropping set pieces and character-models.

oh, and lol @ that one (Frequency-like) puzzle that Sessler was flabbergasted at. It felt so out of place but thankfully it was short and easy.

Sony devs are on a fucking roll. Can't wait to see what SSM has in store next.

...FUCK, I missed the last scene after the credits as I was typing this. Can someone tell me what happened?
You see a trail of blood, presumably Kratos', which goes over a cliff.

I'm glad we have this thread

Kratos punches Hercules' face off. You look at him in the water and there is no face on him. shit!

That was probably the best kill because Hercules was such a glory hound. Him or Hera, at least.

Y2Kev said:
The 2D portion of the final fight was really enjoyable. Just lots of countering and timing. I like that. Brutalizing Zeus was kind of nuts. You could just mash O until your hand falls off.

I was tremendously disappointed with the lack of Linda Hunt.
Yeah the 2D fight was awesome I loved it in God of War 2 where you fought the spartan in the dark and thought that was a really good idea!

Also the MP mode is a good idea too but I dont think it would have worked and gotten as much hype as UC2 but of someone dedicated time and cooked up some ideas it would have worked

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Y2Kev said:
Brutalizing Zeus was kind of nuts. You could just mash O until your hand falls off.
:lol yeah, kept on hitting O and just seeing red for a long time and said this can't be right, so stopped then the game proceeded...:lol that was crazy

lunlunqq

what's with Athena? all of a sudden wants to end the reign of Olympus and gets hold of the power herself??? so death by Cratos' hand actually made her a crazy bitch who's completely out of her mind????

Y2Kev

lunlunqq said:
what's with Athena? all of a sudden wants to end the reign of Olympus and gets hold of the power herself??? so death by Cratos' hand actually made her a crazy bitch who's completely out of her mind????
It actually kind of works as motivation for her to help Kratos at all really. Otherwise she should just fuck off or something.

The Kronos boss battle is the high point of the game for me. Incredible. Like you just can't believe what is going on. I was practically spazzing out as it was happening. I thought my PS3 was about to initiate boosters and fly back to 2040 where it came from.

Linkzg said:
I'm glad we have this thread

Kratos punches Hercules' face off. You look at him in the water and there is no face on him. shit!
Yeah hercules fight was freaking awesome! I never knew I was going to fight him! When I heard the steps I was like, fuck another giant Minotaur?! The I heard Kratos saying Hercules! That made my fucking night! Also fighting Hades and seeing him with his mask off was awesome! And Kratos crushing his skull like it was made off playdoh! I wish I was sitting there as I watched him do that.

-PXG- said:
Uncharted 3: You go back in time to ancient Greece.

It would be interesting to play as regular dude Kratos, no white ash, healed up by Tenzin, who was alive in Greek times because he's immortal.

All dat rage is replaced with glibness and a bag full of quips.

Baha

-PXG- said:
The sex scene is pretty boobtastic.

And really funny I might add. Loved the whole "this is mature audiences only" & "Parents shouldn't let their kids play this" :lol

Y2Kev

templeusox said:
I'd like to see an attempt to sum up the trilogy's story in a short paragraph.
Kratos is a Spartan who likes war. One day he meets his match against a barbarian tribe. Pledges his soul to Ares, the god of war, in exchange for his temporal body. Becomes the bitch of Ares. Ares sends him all over the place to do bitch work. Ares ends up having Kratos kill his family. Ares then goes apeshit and starts killing shit in Athens, the city of Athena. The other gods get pissed. Recruit Kratos to take him out in exchange for what Kratos believes to be the removal of the memories of his killing his family. He kills Ares, they lie. No shit. He tries to kill himself. Athena makes him the God of War. He goes on many campaigns with the Spartans as god of war. This pisses off the other olympians. Athena says stop it but Kratos doesn't care. Zeus tricks Kratos into giving up all his powers. Kills him. Kratos goes back in time to reverse his fate (involves killing Gabourey Sidibe). Instead of just reversing time and saving his family, he brings all the Titans back from the Great War and starts a war with Olympus. Ends up betrayed by everyone. Kills everyone. Possibly dies.

Hades 3x
Sex 4x
Tits 90x

The one retcon I kinda don't get is Pandoras Box. We already opened that shit. What's with all the crap about reopening it?

cnizzle06

Banned
Linkzg said:
It would be interesting to play as regular dude Kratos, no white ash, healed up by Tenzin, who was alive in Greek times because he's immortal.

All dat rage is replaced with glibness and a bag full of quips.

I thought it would be cool if in the swimming scene when he's in his conscious, his white ash and red blood began to wash off and leave a trail behind him. Kinda symbolizing his self-forgiveness.

-PXG-

templeusox said:
I'd like to see an attempt to sum up the trilogy's story in a short paragraph.

Athena asks Kratos to kill Ares because he is causing too much destruction. At the same time, Kratos seeks revenge on Ares for tricking him into killing his family. Later, he uses Pandora's box to kill Ares and thus, he becomes the new God of War. But, it turns out that Kratos becomes more of a pest than Ares ever was. Zeus kills Kratos. However, Kratos is brought back to life by Gaia and is tasked to seek the Titans and the Sisters of Fate, in order to go back in time and stop Zeus from killing him. Kratos kills the sisters, goes back in time and stops Zeus from killing him. Zeus and Kratos fight, but in the end Athena is killed by accident. Kratos then goes back in time further, to team up with all of the Titans, so that they can have one final showdown with Zeus, and the other Gods on Mount Olympus. After a battle with Poseidon, Kratos falls off Mount Olympus and into Hades. After escaping Hades, and killing many Gods, as well as Cronos, Kratos makes it back to Mount Olympus and kills Zeus. Because the world is now in chaos (after killing all of the Gods) and getting his revenge against Zeus, he kills himself, in hopes of finally getting the peace and rest he had sought for so long.

So much more shit happens. It's REALLY hard to condense the story.

cnizzle06 said:
I thought it would be cool if in the swimming scene when he's in his conscious, his white ash and red blood began to wash off and leave a trail behind him. Kinda symbolizing his self-forgiveness.

That would have been an amazing ending.

Y2Kev said:
The one retcon I kinda don't get is Pandoras Box. We already opened that shit. What's with all the crap about reopening it?

Athena mentions that while Zeus stored Evil into the box, she also threw in Hope because the Evil couldn't be contained alone (?)

In GoW1 when Kratos opens the box, the both Evil and Hope get released. Evil goes to the gods and screws with their heads while Kratos gets Hope. In GoW3, Athena believes that Kratos only took the Evil and Hope was still contained in the box. At the end of the game she keeps acting like you just got that Hope power from when Pandora put out the flame a few moments earlier, but Kratos actually had it since GoW1 and it was repressed due to his anger and self-hating.

Still a bunch of plotholes and retcons, but w/e

cnizzle06 said:

I was expecting the white ash to leave during the final scene where you destroy Zeus. Would have made the entire first person thing more impactful too since you wouldn't know you were normal until the camera changed.

-PXG-

Two things that don't make sense in God of War II.

1) Why didn't Kratos stop himself from killing his family when he had control of his thread? Why not just stop the Barbarians from the East from attacking in the first place?

2) Wouldn't the Sisters of Fate know that it was in Kratos' destiny to kill them and take control of his fate? If not, wouldn't the foundations of the existence collapse because he deviated from his destiny?

I know it sounds silly, but just a thought.

Y2Kev

Linkzg said:
Athena mentions that while Zeus stored Evil into the box, she also threw in Hope because the Evil couldn't be contained alone (?)

In GoW1 when Kratos opens the box, the both Evil and Hope get released. Evil goes to the gods and screws with their heads while Kratos gets Hope. In GoW3, Athena believes that Kratos only took the Evil and Hope was still contained in the box. At the end of the game she keeps acting like you just got that Hope power from when Pandora put out the flame a few moments earlier, but Kratos actually had it since GoW1 and it was repressed due to his anger and self-hating.

Still a bunch of plotholes and retcons, but w/e

I was expecting the white ash to leave during the final scene where you destroy Zeus. Would have made the entire first person thing more impactful too since you wouldn't know you were normal until the camera changed.
Yeah but what was the point of opening it now? Shouldn't kratos have been like "i already did this shit" and "i didnt need pandora to open it last time"

1) Why didn't Kratos stop himself from killing his family when he had control of his thread? Why not just stop the Barbarians from the East from attacking in the first place?

CONSUMED BY RAGE

2) Wouldn't the Sisters of Fate know that it was in Kratos' destiny to kill them and take control of his fate? If not, wouldn't the foundations of the existence collapse because he deviated from his destiny?

There was quite a big deal made in gow2 about how impossible it was to change fate. not even the gods fucked with the sisters. but i think kratos could do it because it made an awesome game

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
So at the end when Gaia and Zeus are talking, Zeus says to Gaia he should have chosen the other one, does Zeus mean Herc or a other possible Kratos brother?

Y2Kev said:
Yeah but what was the point of opening it now? Shouldn't kratos have been like "i already did this shit" and "i didnt need pandora to open it last time"

Remember at the start of GoW2 he put all his powers into that sword?

wait, that makes even less sense. Should the hope have gone in the sword? or in the river styx?

whatever!

Y2Kev

Corran Horn said:
So at the end when Gaia and Zeus are talking, Zeus says to Gaia he should have chosen the other one, does Zeus mean Herc or a other possible Kratos brother?
I heard this too and it isn't really developed. gow4 made by someone else confirmed

Remember at the start of GoW2 he put all his powers into that sword?

wait, that makes even less sense. Should the hope have gone in the sword? or in the river styx?

whatever!

haha yeah

um guys Im replaying the game as we speak here. Counting the scenes that are pre-rendered using the game engine. Im on easy mode using fear kratos as he deals more damage and makes things easier. Ill let you know how many scenes are. Also you can tell us about the glitches youve found.

Can anyone confirm on the first Zeus fight when you die if the loading background was white and if youve experienced yellow dots? Thats a big concern for me

Corran Horn said:

Kratos had another brother that wanted revenge on him or something. It was in GoW1 where they also mentioned Zeus was Kratos' father, and that turned out to be true, so maybe if there is a sequel it will deal with his brother.

Captain N

I don't know about you, but I feel like Kratos could be viewed as a bad guy as well from the mortals point of view. I see a new here coming along in God of War 4.

Y2Kev

Captain N said:
I don't know about you, but I feel like Kratos could be viewed as a bad guy as well from the mortals point of view. I see a new here coming along in God of War 4.
I definitely don't think kratos is a good guy. he's basically responsible for everybody...EVERYBODY...being wiped out. hera says (btw hera's awesome as a drunk) that everything he touches falls to shit and it's really true

Magnus

I'm not 100% on what the so-called controversial moment near the end of the game is, but have a strong idea.

As I was playing it, and came to the 2D Zeus boss fight, I thought, maybe this is it. Felt like some straight up classic SF or Mortal Kombat shit.

Then you have a first-person combat segment against Zeus, which also felt unorthodox. Maybe it was the internalized non-combat "Fear" segment with Kratos running around in the dark.

But then we got that insane ending to the confrontation with Zeus. Where every player would come to the realization at a different moment that they could keep pummelling the fucking shit out of him, and toy with him, or stop at any time. Out of everyone I talked to, everyone figured that out at a different instant. I mean, it's a small, minor gameplay freedom, but it's a moment that seemed to resonate with everyone I know who's completed the game. You get free reign to ravage a god's lifeless body, and you can't even see it because your vision is completely splattered with blood. That's Kratos' last violent act against another. He's literally blinded by blood. It's insane, brutal, self-reflexive, fun, liberating and so very dark.

So yeah, my vote is for that moment being the foreshadowed controversial apex of the game. :lol

I definitely felt like the game was too short upon completing it. My chief complaints were that the Labyrinth sequence (once you got out on top of the blocks and were forced to make some terribly angled jumps with R1) was awful and dragged on too long, and that the Titans were woefully under-used throughout the game, with at least one more major encounter involving them remedying the situation significantly.

Other than that, just plain WOW. I can't decide what my eyes want for dinner instead, other than Uncharted 2. Just plain gorgeous.

As my first completed God of War game, I can say that it was a complete pleasure to play as the conquering villain (in a sense). To cause so much chaos was totally exhilarating. :lol

Having him become the tool that essentially frees the world of Titans and Gods and restores Hope to the people was kind of a Disney Magic moment. Beautiful, but somewhat out of place.

Question regarding Hercules:

It was amazing to see him voiced by Kevin Sorbo. What a hilarious and perfect surprise. Was the character in previous God of War games?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
SixStringPsycho said:
um guys Im replaying the game as we speak here. Counting the scenes that are pre-rendered using the game engine. Im on easy mode using fear kratos as he deals more damage and makes things easier. Ill let you know how many scenes are. Also you can tell us about the glitches youve found.

Can anyone confirm on the first Zeus fight when you die if the loading background was white and if youve experienced yellow dots? Thats a big concern for me
Only glitches I encounerted was sometimes double jumping/wings wouldnt happen and Ill just fall to my death.
Other time was when fighting Chronos, the screen for frames at a time turn orange (color of Chronos' skin). Happened in the middle of the battle and only for short time.

Y2Kev said:
I definitely don't think kratos is a good guy. he's basically responsible for everybody...EVERYBODY...being wiped out.

but at the end he does give the people Hope and let them make their own world free of the gods rule.

If there is a GoW4, it will probably be about a power struggle. I think what Athena wanted was to control things her way instead of Zeus'. Maybe that's where Kratos' brother makes an appearance.

Ok Ive just noticed something. If you play the game logged in PSN depending if youve received a message or signed or whatever, the game will and I repeat will hiccup like a scratched disc. If anyone noticed this when not logged in let us know.

Captain N

Linkzg said:
but at the end he does give the people Hope and let them make their own world free of the gods rule.

If there is a GoW4, it will probably be about a power struggle. I think what Athena wanted was to control things her way instead of Zeus'. Maybe that's where Kratos' brother makes an appearance.

I could see god of war 4 being about his brother and Kratos coming in at the very end of 4.

Linkzg said:

Kratos' brother in real mythology is Nike. I smell a sweet product tie-in game on our horizon.

Linkzg said:
Kratos had another brother that wanted revenge on him or something. It was in GoW1 where they also mentioned Zeus was Kratos' father, and that turned out to be true, so maybe if there is a sequel it will deal with his brother.
Great fucking idea! I hope Santa Claus hears you!
Corran Horn said:
Only glitches I encounerted was sometimes double jumping/wings wouldnt happen and Ill just fall to my death.
Other time was when fighting Chronos, the screen for frames at a time turn orange (color of Chronos' skin). Happened in the middle of the battle and only for short time.
Ive encountered plenty. Some of them might not be considered glitches but cutscences have been repeating over on some seconds or the music

Stealth edit Mwuahahah

george_us

Loved it personally even though I thought the ending was weak and some of the logic was a bit strange. Like why the fuck is Kratos looking for Pandoras box when he's more than capable of snapping a god's neck with his bare hands (oh hey Hera!) or taking on Titans. I also thought the puzzles weren't as inventive as they were in God of War II but they were still amazing. Combat was amazing though.

Top Bottom