• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War 3 spoilerepicrific thread of discussion

Cartman86

Banned
The way the story was told reminded me too much of some Japanese games. Just convoluted for no reason at all. I suppose it was poor writing, but the way they would speak about Pandora's Box and what was contained in it didn't make much sense while I was playing it.

Cartman86

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
From a story perspective, the game could have used the approached Shadow of the Colossus did. You start the game out as a hero, but as you commit more and more unspeakable acts of violence, the morality turns to gray, and you start to question if your motivations are pure or commendable at all. But by making the gods just as vicious and violent as Kratos, they make both sides pretty unlikable, which makes it difficult to get invested in either angle. Slowly painting Kratos as the bad guy would have been a lot more interesting than how it really turned out.

One quick and dirty idea of how they could have changed things from a gameplay perspective is by having the environment slowly change around you depending on what gods have died. Pathways would become flooded, outdoor areas would be pitch black, locusts would halt your progress, and other fairly minor though impactful changes.

Aside from the two Titan sections, the game doesn't do anything the previous games in the series haven't already done. Taking advantage of the dying earth would have given it a stronger identity, more diverse art (which is already great), and added a bit more variety in exploration.

Of course, I'm not a game designer. It just seemed like an aspect that wasn't pushed far enough.

This is what I was hoping for and sort of expected at one point in the game. I wanted the game to take a step back (since it was the end) and say "Hey you know what? This is badass and all, but Kratos is a fucking psychopath." I'm glad he killed himself at the end because he "deserved" it.

To your point that both the Gods AND Kratos are bad so who do we root for? That is true, but I think it would've been great to bring back all the innocent people Kratos killed and make them our sort of "heroes". Have them by the end punish Kratos for his crimes.

Captain N

I could be wrong...but right before the water puzzles..there is some things you can read. I thought one of them said something about the other child of Zeus. Ikarus...I'm pretty sure it was spelled with a K instead of a C.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Not sure if anyone has posted this, but by far the biggest disappointment in God of War 3 was the lack of significant return of the ship captain.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Dogenzaka said:
Not sure if anyone has posted this, but by far the biggest disappointment in God of War 3 was the lack of significant return of the ship captain.
I was hoping he would appear too. I laughed my ass off when he showed up in II. At least there was that little sheet of paper that he wrote about Kratos but I was hoping he would be there more.

I always knew Kratos would off himself after it's over. I guessed jumping off the cliff though. Kratos basically have nothing. He had a chance to have something if Pandora survived. If she didn't sacrificed herself Kratos would have something to live for a second chance but most likely Ghost Zeus with super hax would kill him.

Animator

Dogenzaka said:
Oh wow you are so wrong it hurts. The puzzles in GoW2 were so incredibly awesome the fact that the team lazily left everything but block-pushing out is what makes this game inferior to GoW2 in some way.

Wtf? I know you have a hard on for gow2 but incredibly awesome puzzles, really?

Every damn puzzle in gow is the push block slowly to place and sometimes push block to place while racing a time limit or push block to place while enemies attack repeatedly.(thank GOD they sped up the block pushing speed in gow3, its better than gow2 for this reason alone)

The puzzles in gow3 were way better and much better spaced than gow 2 or 1.

Did anybody notice when Kratos was bashing Zeus the evil black thing flew away from his mouth? Maybe there is still that evil plague from Pandora in the world after the ending since it flew away.

Jb

Animator said:

I liked that every puzzle was centered around a unique gameplay mechanic this time around (the portals, the M. C. Escher stone...) . That said I was disappointed to see how few of them there was.

Baha

Dogenzaka said:

He was referenced in one of the notes you find in Hades though. Or rather he wrote one of the notes.

Le-mo

So when Kratos opened Pandora's Box in the first game the power of hope gave him the ability to transform into a giant to slay Ares? That didn't part doesn't make sense to me.

So the final scene after the credits seems to suggest that Kratos is still alive, right?

It seems like they're setting up a fourth game where, in order to save the world, etc., Kratos must resurrect Zeus.

Or maybe he just goes after Buddha. Who knows.

I enjoyed the game a lot, but it wasn't the second coming like all the reviewers claimed it to be. Games that refuse to compromise on issues like annoying invisible walls and frustrating QTEs aren't "ballsy" as much as they are "obsolete." The graphical presentation was incredible, I'll give this game that much. The story was pretty uninteresting though.

Ballistictiger said:
If she didn't sacrificed herself Kratos would have something to live for a second chance but most likely Ghost Zeus with super hax would kill him.

He still had Hope since before Pandora had sacrificed herself, he could have unlocked it a different way.

I thought GoW3 did a good job at making Kratos seem somewhat sympathetic despite all the savage shit he has done. He clearly has massive rage issues that he can't control and they somewhat explore this through the game before the final two key scenes. When he has to chose between saving Pandora and attacking Zeus, you could tell that he wanted to save Pandora (especially if you played CoO and know of his relationship with his own daughter) but the rage build up from Zeus taunting him that he lost it and bum-rushed him. Then at the end when he is able to forgive himself, at least, he is able to make a choice best for the people I guess.

Seriously, Gaia dicked him over big time. He did all the sisters of fate stuff, went back in time to save them so they'd help him get Zeus, and she is like "lol fuck off you were just my pawn".

Linkzg said:
Then at the end when he is able to forgive himself, at least, he is able to make a choice best for the people I guess.

It seemed less like he cared about mankind and more like he reeeeaaally just wanted to stab himself.

The two just happened to coincide that one time.

Fimbulvetr said:
It seemed less like he cared about mankind and more like he reeeeaaally just wanted to stab himself.

The two just happened to coincide that one time.

actually, thinking about it was more that he wanted to stop Athena from getting the power first

lets just say that his priorities were:

1) piss off Athena
2) stab himself
3) see if he was even strong enough to kill himself
4) help humanity

-PXG-

Dogenzaka said:

There is a piece of paper on the ground in Hades that mentions him. But yeah, I wish he made an appearance too :(

Filldough

Didn't see anyone else mention this, but when Kratos kills himself, it looks like he dies on top of a carving of a Phoenix. So is that representative of some kind of rebirth for him after he kills himself?

As for Athena helping Kratos, she claims that she reached enlightenment so perhaps in this she came to understand the need to kill off Zeus for the sake of Humanity. Though it really doesnt explain why she wants to help humanity...

The hope and fear stuff was a little contrived after all we've experienced as Kratos... I just didn't see that as a logical conclusion to his story. Kratos is not a man of dreams and hope, he's a man of action, a perfect pawn. He is thoughtless in his goals, he decides what he wants and goes after it with reckless abandon.

That said, it was still interesting.

OMG at the zeus face bashing at the end haha. I must have pushed circle for five minutes straight before I finally calmed down and realized he was most likely dead haha.

Oh, and as for the controversy, I just assumed it was Kratos killing himself, I mean thats not exactly the logical conclusion for him. Or at least I didn't see that coming.

Filldough

Linkzg said:
actually, thinking about it was more that he wanted to stop Athena from getting the power first

lets just say that his priorities were:

1) piss off Athena
2) stab himself
3) see if he was even strong enough to kill himself
4) help humanity

I agree with the first point, Kratos is tired of being used. Everyone has used him thru the course of the series, its almost like he realized he was just a tool of destruction and was tired of destroying everything. The end where he relives the death of his family, its like he's letting go of all that shit finally. Remember he tried to kill himself before and the gods kept preventing it cause they needed him for their own nefarious purposes. Its as if he's finally realized the only way to stop reliving these nightmares is to kill himself.

templeusox said:
That's it man. I can't take it anymore. You're the inaugural member of my ignore list. I can't do it anymore. Everything you say is bitching and moaning about some tiny detail. It's why you have the most posts in the GOW3 official thread and double of the amount of the next most. I tried to bite my tongue for as long as I can, but enough is enough. It's unbearable.
I think this was the point of this thread! To argue what you like and dislike about this game. Respect everyones opinions like they do yours. Youre defending this game as if you were David Jaffe himself! Its a game dude, calm down.

dread9

Banned
Did everyone wait until the end of the credits? Also, did you guys catch the references to Kratos' brother more than once, especially at the end when Zues says Gaia should have used the "other one"?

Also, what intrigues me most about this series are the bonus videos from the first god of war. I can see there being a 4th god of war with a modern environment. Clearly Kratos is NOT dead!

dread9 said:
Did everyone wait until the end of the credits? Also, did you guys catch the references to Kratos' brother more than once, especially at the end when Zues says Gaia should have used the "other one"?

Also, what intrigues me most about this series are the bonus videos from the first god of war. I can see there being a 4th god of war with a modern environment. Clearly Kratos is NOT dead!
Well seeing as the gods had ghost that could probably happen. But I mean ghosts of Gods?I can clearly understand Kratos becoming the real Ghost of Sparta now that he really is dead. But wasnt his brother dead? I remember hearing about it and him being cast to Hades underworld. But yeah maybe a sequel or a prequel as to who is kratos brother could happen

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
According to my brother (who pretty much called every fucking thing in the game before it happened and confused the hell out of me. He reads mythology or something, idk) he mentioned something about Athena wanting to wipe the slate clean (so to speak) and do it her own way. Possibly meaning that she wanted the hope powers to take over the land and attempt to rule the people herself better than Zeus did?

Other than that, not too many problems. Dogenzaka, you need to remember that you are playing a video game. Holy shit, I don't think I've ever seen anyone nitpick as crazily as you are doing with this game. Chill out, jeesh.

Dogenzaka said:
Really? That's the biggest one? Is it?

Also, Kratos showed affection to Pandora because he saw her as a surrogate Calliope. Zeus made that very clear before the end battle.

templeusox said:
That's it man. I can't take it anymore. You're the inaugural member of my ignore list. I can't do it anymore. Everything you say is bitching and moaning about some tiny detail. It's why you have the most posts in the GOW3 official thread and double of the amount of the next most. I tried to bite my tongue for as long as I can, but enough is enough. It's unbearable.
:lol :lol :lol

Jim

Filldough said:
Didn't see anyone else mention this, but when Kratos kills himself, it looks like he dies on top of a carving of a Phoenix. So is that representative of some kind of rebirth for him after he kills himself?

I noticed that right away. The pattern around him is definitely a Phoenix, whether or not his rebirth means "living" or just "being free from his rage/nightmare", who knows.

Also, I just figured tossing himself off a cliff (as he tried previously, unsuccessfully), was a nice touch. If that indeed is what happened. Was it the same cliff?

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Also, Kratos showed affection to Pandora because he saw her as a surrogate Calliope. Zeus made that very clear before the end battle.l

I never had a problem with that part of Pandora's character(how it was handled is another thing, but eh).

The biggest problem with Pandora is her function in the plot.

She is the box's key yes? Yet Kratos opened the box without her already.

Not only that but if she has similar properties to the box and the box is immune to the flame; why did she disappear and extinguish the flame at the same time?

If anything she should be able to go through the flame with no repercussions.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Animator said:
Wtf? I know you have a hard on for gow2 but incredibly awesome puzzles, really?

Every damn puzzle in gow is the push block slowly to place and sometimes push block to place while racing a time limit or push block to place while enemies attack repeatedly.(thank GOD they sped up the block pushing speed in gow3, its better than gow2 for this reason alone)

Are you joking? You have to be.
In God of War 2, you saved someone from committing suicide by warping time. In fact a lot of the puzzles had to do with manipulating time. You used a man's body to stop a conveyer belt. You sacrificed creatures by the flame, you bled people on an altar, you protected translators from being devoured, you freed giant horses, you let a man fall into a giant campfire to get your Rage, you used sunlight in a puzzle to melt ice, you helped birth a phoenix, you destroyed a giant silkworm by trapping her by her own loom's instruments, and ALL of the puzzles were well-designed, pretty good length, most were large in scale, and all had significance to the current events of the game.

What did God of War 3 have? The part where you burn the man in the beginning? The rest was turn/push crap and a music-minigame that lasted maybe 1 minute. There was hardly any fun puzzles in this game, it's disappointing and it's almost a left out feature. The Labyrinth, which if you think about it, should have been the most interesting puzzle area in the game (it's fucking Pandora's Labyrinth) ended up being a cube you fight enemies in.

Fimbulvetr said:
I never had a problem with that part of Pandora's character(how it was handled is another thing, but eh).

The biggest problem with Pandora is her function in the plot.

She is the box's key yes? Yet Kratos opened the box without her already.

Not only that but if she has similar properties to the box and the box is immune to the flame; why did she disappear and extinguish the flame at the same time?

If anything she should be able to go through the flame with no repercussions.

Well, I think the fact that he was able to open it without a key was what drove Zeus to make Hephaestus create her and the "lock", no? To make it more secure? Or was Zeus' plan to make it more secure only him putting the box into the flame?

Blech. The plot really is kind of a mess.

Dogenzaka

Banned
i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Well, I think the fact that he was able to open it without a key was what drove Zeus to make Hephaestus create her and the "lock", no? To make it more secure? Or was Zeus' plan to make it more secure only him putting the box into the flame?

I have to apologize to everyone who disagrees with me, but tossing away the pre-launch hype and ignoring the gorgeous graphics, I think that, besides the INCREDIBLE scale in a few key areas of the game, and a couple of great boss fights, the game isn't that much different or better than the past games. I think the past games did tighter plot-lines, better puzzles, more varied gameplay segments and more varied, interesting scenery. I think GoW3 might have suffered from the lack of time it had due to creating a new engine for the PS3, or it might have suffered from Barlog's departure, I don't know. But I know it wasn't what I was expecting when the incredible first segment of Poseidon and his death was really the pinnacle of action for the entire game, and wasn't really met or surpassed in the hours throughout (except the Cronos fight holy omg). Olympus was also pretty bland, if you ask me, compared to the Island of the Fates. A lot of it was just caves, rocks, and generic temple-looking-rooms.

Disappointing to me, really.

But it's okay. It's understandable. SSM did all this in 3 years while creating the best engine on the PS3 to date. It's admirable, but looking at it at a dead-honest perspective, I think that besides a couple of absolutely breathtaking formula changers, the game is not that "stand-out" from the other games in terms of level, plot, and game design.

Just finished it. Here's some quick thoughts.

-The intro sequence is probably the best half-hour if I've ever experienced with a video game. Beautiful stuff.

-I greatly enjoyed the boss battles, but they lacked the awesome diversity of GoW II. Helios gets it good, but I wanted a fully fleshed out battle with him. He deserved it. Loved Hades. Didn't care much for the Hermes sequence. Wish there were more 'beast' battles like the Giant Scorpion. Zeus reminded me of the fight with Shredder at the end of TMNT Arcade when he starts cloning himself. My fave would probably go to Hercules.

-Speaking of Hercules, shouldn't it be Heracles? I suppose the name Hercules is a little more recognizable, but still not accurate.

-Chronos. I mean...wow. Wow.

-Combat was very fun. Honestly, after coming off the heels of Baynoetta, I didn't really adjust well going back to GoW. It's a slower pace, but that's only at first. The new weapons are all great, and I loved being able to switch them during combat. Really encouraged using them all diversely and equally, though I was a bit biased for the Hades blades.

-The story. Honestly, very disappointed on that one. I felt the game had such a great first half in this respect, and it seemed like it was really going to hit a stride, but then it just kind of fell flat on its face. Like someone said before, the climax all seemed really "Japanese". That's probably not the best way to put it, but there's a lot of stupid convoluted shit going on once all is said and done. Pretty messy.

-The infinite Zeus pounding was interesting. I just kept mashing circle, but after a few minutes of no change in blood-vision, I thought "Oh, I guess I'm suppose to stop."

-Somewhat glitchy game. Ran into some weird stutters, pop-in, and a yellow-dotted load screen towards the end. Oh, and I just started my Titan run, and fell right through Gaia after failing a QTE. Nice.

-Icarus vents got pretty old and pale in comparison with the Pegasus sections in GoW II.

-Music is great as usual.

-Was Linda Hunt's only contribution to the game the opening credits? Pretty bummed about that one. I wonder if she refused to do more VW than that? She's not Gaia, and the ending credits just dub her as the 'Narrator'. Also, special thanks Elijah Wood? Hm.

-Puzzles just weren't as good as GoW II's.

-Oh yeah, the game looks pretty damn stunning.

-My ranking of the GoW games: GoW II > GoW III > GoW I > GoW: CoO.

Dogenzaka

Banned
MyEpitomeCliché said:
Just finished it. Here's some quick thoughts.

-The intro sequence is probably the best half-hour if I've ever experienced with a video game. Beautiful stuff.

-I greatly enjoyed the boss battles, but they lacked the awesome diversity of GoW II. Helios gets it good, but I wanted a fully fleshed out battle with him. He deserved it. Loved Hades. Didn't care much for the Hermes sequence. Wish there were more 'beast' battles like the Giant Scorpion. Zeus reminded me of the fight with Shredder at the end of TMNT Arcade when he starts cloning himself. My fave would probably go to Hercules.

-Speaking of Hercules, shouldn't it be Heracles? I suppose the name Hercules is a little more recognizable, but still not accurate.

-Chronos. I mean...wow. Wow.

-Combat was very fun. Honestly, after coming off the heels of Baynoetta, I didn't really adjust well going back to GoW. It's a slower pace, but that's only at first. The new weapons are all great, and I loved being able to switch them during combat. Really encouraged using them all diversely and equally, though I was a bit biased for the Hades blades.

-The story. Honestly, very disappointed on that one. I felt the game had such a great first half in this respect, and it seemed like it was really going to hit a stride, but then it just kind of fell flat on its face. Like someone said before, the climax all seemed really "Japanese". That's probably not the best way to put it, but there's a lot of stupid convoluted shit going on once all is said and done. Pretty messy.

-The infinite Zeus pounding was interesting. I just kept mashing circle, but after a few minutes of no change in blood-vision, I thought "Oh, I guess I'm suppose to stop."

-Somewhat glitchy game. Ran into some weird stutters, pop-in, and a yellow-dotted load screen towards the end. Oh, and I just started my Titan run, and fell right through Gaia after failing a QTE. Nice.

-Icarus vents got pretty old and pale in comparison with the Pegasus sections in GoW II.

-Music is great as usual.

-Was Linda Hunt's only contribution to the game the opening credits? Pretty bummed about that one. I wonder if she refused to do more VW than that? She's not Gaia, and the ending credits just dub her as the 'Narrator'. Also, special thanks Elijah Wood? Hm.

-Puzzles just weren't as good as GoW II's.

-Oh yeah, the game looks pretty damn stunning.

-My ranking of the GoW games: GoW II > GoW III > GoW I > GoW: CoO.

Agreed with pretty much everything you said.

i_am_not_jon_ames said:

Nope, Pandora is a byproduct of the box's creation. She's existed for as long as the box has.

YYZ

God of War II is better, but the fact this is on PS3 and is upgraded in many ways makes it at least equal. If you took II and transferred it into this engine and tweaked a few things, it would undoubtedly be better. The puzzles were a lot better, thanks for reminding me. I think they dumbed this one down or something.

Dogenzaka

Banned
YYZ said:
God of War II is better, but the fact this is on PS3 and is upgraded in many ways makes it at least equal. If you took II and transferred it into this engine and tweaked a few things, it would undoubtedly be better. The puzzles were a lot better, thanks for reminding me. I think they dumbed this one down or something.

Yeah it's kind of "dumbed down", but I think time has a part to play in what couldn't make it in the game. I'm sure if they had the time they could have put in an interesting Helios fight.

What I would give to have a fight with Helios in the skies atop his flaming chariot. Perhaps the fight could have started out with him swooping down at you on your battlefield with enemies, channeling fire onto sections of the ground. As he swoops down, you catch him with your blades and a QTE appears and it damages him and his chariot. Perhaps he stops for a moment and you tear up his horsies. If they wanted to make the Icarus wing flying sections interesting, they should have made one where you fly up and catch up to his chariot, climb on top of it, attack his horses, cause him to spiral out of the sky, and fight him as they plummet to the earth. Then decapitate him ^_^

I would love to hear from someone at SSM what the fuck happened to the story in this game. The other games had some plot holes, but I thought the story in Gow I, and II were great. In 3 it doesnt even make any sense. Why the fuck would Kratos need the box again when, A) he had already opened it, and B) he had killed a bunch of gods already. It feels like the whole thing with the box was forced into the game to give Kratos a reason to care about someone, so they could make him seem more human.

It would have been so much better if instead of spending half the game pushing blocks and pulling handles trying to open the box again, if they had just had Kratos fight more gods and titans. There were so few real boss fights in this game, I dont understand their thinking with that at all. The lava titan you stab once in the eye and he falls to his death, Hellios you push a couple buttons and he is dead, Hera dies as soon as you touch her, and Hermes you have to hit a few times and then he is done.

All the talk from the devs before the game came out about you battling on the titans themselves, was like 40 minutes total. You wind up spending way more time hoping around on boxes. Great game but they could have, and should have, done so much more.

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Maybe Kratos DIDN'T need the box, but Athena made him get it because she thought Hope was still in there. Right?

Yep. Both of the powers within the box were released when Kratos opened them the first time.

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Maybe Kratos DIDN'T need the box, but Athena made him get it because she thought Hope was still in there. Right?

But Kratos already opened the box and got the power to kill the gods from inside of it. There is no benefit to him to go do her stupid task. She should have realized that what ever she put in the box must have come out when Kratos opened the box. At the end she also tells ratos that she knows he has her power because she can see it in his eyes, but she has seen and spoken to him a bunch of times since he opened the box the first time, why didnt she see it before?

yankeehater said:
But Kratos already opened the box and got the power to kill the gods from inside of it. There is no benefit to him to go do her stupid task. She should have realized that what ever she put in the box must have come out when Kratos opened the box. At the end she also tells ratos that she knows he has her power because she can see it in his eyes, but she has seen and spoken to him a bunch of times since he opened the box the first time, why didnt she see it before?

It was locked away by his guilt supposedly.

YYZ

yankeehater said:
Because he needed Pandora's help to find it with that dark world sequence at the end.

luffeN

In my fight with Hercules when I once clipped through the floor after getting one of his heavy punches and fell to death.

beast786

Being a GOW fanatic. I had high hopes. But this game surpasses even that.

In my opinion it surpasses GOW II in every way. Enemy diversity, combat mechanics, scale and puzzles .

Amazing game. :D

just finished it and here are my quick thoughts:

- puzzles were better in gow 1/2 - i mean come on a guitar hero style music puzzle? wtf weaksauce

- graphics are amazing, up there with uncharted 2 for best of this generation...i think they beat uc2 for the lighting...

- story was solid even with the plot holes being discussed although i wish the focus would have not been pandora's box again and instead more titans vs. gods focused...

- boss fights: loved hercules, hades and esp chronos, loved the fact that the different weapons actually were useful..

- music: amazing best of the trilogy

- glitches: had one freeze and sometimes my wings didnt work and i just fell to my death...

- level design: generally liked everything except hated the labyrinth and thought there was too much underground 'cave' levels (but i give a -1 for any game that does this too much)...also felt that there was too much level design 'cheating' with space warps/grapple points to just basically go anywhere at anytime...

Jubs

The Cronos fight was amazing. Best boss fight in the game imo.

Zeus fight was kinda lame. Clones of himself? Zipping around? Eh. Zeus looked like amateur hour compared to Poseidon.

I was hoping we could fight more Titans. Weren't there six or seven of them scaling Mt. Olympus?

I didn't like the Claws of Hades all that much. The Cestus Gauntlets were awesome though. I was using those more than the Blades of Exile.

Top Bottom