• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension New Single-Player Screenshots

Derrick01

Banned
nice bullshots

Haven't seen a PS3 game before now huh? It's all real man.

Why is everybody jizzin' over this?

1. It looks no better than GoW3 (which is fine, cause GoW3 was already a pretty damn good looking game)

I still can't tell how this looks any better at all. It has the advantage of taking place in a daylight setting so it can show off more lighting than 3 had, but really I can't tell the difference at all.

Endo Punk

The art style is so much better than GOWIII. These pics definitely whet my appetite and there is no way I am going to spoil the first 30 minutes. People wanted more SP well it seems SSM are now showing far too much! Nooooooooooo

Vire

Pretty amazing how much detail is lost in Youtube compression.

I bet the artists at SSM must die when viewing that 30 min intro vid compressed like that...

KJllrYj.jpg

Nope.

underwater creatures. :(

nice bullshots

lol

I thought I was done with this series after IIIs unsatisfying latter half of the game. I thought wrong.
Ordering the GoW Collection II ASAP, haven't played GoS yet.

G_Berry

Banned
These are clearly bullshots to some extent.

Seems as though the PS3 is the only console that gets a free pass when bullshots are posted.

Anyone saying they are bullshots must be "out of their minds" or they must have "never seen as PS3 game before" Posts like this make me want to hurl.

Yeah it's a good looking game but ffs.

Endo Punk

Am I the only one who still wanted GOW after the 3rd one? Seeing a lot of 'I thought I was done after GOWIII' posts. Maybe because I haven't played the PSP games so didn't burn myself out on the character and world. Not to mention that Kratos is a like a stress ball and helps me to relax lol.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

Seems as though the PS3 is the only console that gets a free pass when bullshots are posted.

Anyone saying they are bullshots must be "out of their minds" or they must have "never seen as PS3 game before" Posts like this make me want to hurl.

I'm as critical as the next guy, but unless I'm sorely mistaken I remember thinking the same thing of the GoW III shots where I thought "clearly some of these are bullshots" but in the end I do believe they were actually representative in terms of AA.

As others have said... why don't you go watch the 30 minute video in 720p.

GOW gets a free pass, because their games ALWAYS look like the best games of the generation. They have a fixed camera to thank for that. As well as a team that's learned to make the most of each mb. They have a system where Sound, Modelers and Animators, all have conversations for each character on screen. They excel at making the most of the budget given to them for each level,character, and event.

I'm not really a graphics whore, but those screenshots alone are making me rethink my decision to wait for this to get a bit cheaper before buying. Looks amazing!

i-Lo

GoW3 was known for its IQ. But all this talk is cheap. There is factual, not anecdotal, evidence in that 30 minute starter segment video where you can take a look for yourself. Otherwise, you are free to deny it just like flat earth society denies the earth is spherical. Facts remain unchanged by opinions and presumptions.

image.php

LastNac

I posted in the other thread but I will do so in this one as well. For those of us who are fans of cinematic presentation that the God of War developer-controlled camera can pull off so well.

From IGN:

"Ascension. Looking back at some of those PS2 boss battles, it was clear how far the franchise has come in storytelling. I remember God of War III really stressing scope with camera pans and wide shots, but God of War: Ascension is taking that even further."

tumblr_m13gikDVmv1r01r28.gif

velociraptor

419kww.png

ScOULaris

Surely this one can't be in-game, right? The rest clearly are real-time, but this one looks like concept art to me. Look at the wrinkles on his head and the clenched jaw detail. That isn't present elsewhere in the footage or screenshots that I've seen.

GOW 3 was one of the best looking games this gen. I still think it tops uncharted 2-3 both artistically and technically.

The writing could use a little work, though.

Boss Man

agree with this. just watched the youtube. It looks good, sounds good etc. But its the same old gameplay over and over. Set piece, hit boss, QTE, hit boss again, boss is dead.

It looks boring and the gameplay is the same as the last one. they really need to do something to reinvent the series as the actual gameplay looks very standard.
You guys should try the demo. It plays a lot differently.

Surely this one can't be in-game, right? The rest clearly are real-time, but this one looks like concept art to me. Look at the wrinkles on his head and the clenched jaw detail. That isn't present elsewhere in the footage or screenshots that I've seen.

In-game.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
agree with this. just watched the youtube. It looks good, sounds good etc. But its the same old gameplay over and over. Set piece, hit boss, QTE, hit boss again, boss is dead.

It looks boring and the gameplay is the same as the last one. they really need to do something to reinvent the series as the actual gameplay looks very standard.

Of course it needs to play as a God of War game. The core MUST stay the same otherwise people would bitch about it not being GoW anymore and what have you done to this series this is not the God of War game i know and love bla bla

that underwater boss was in the short teaser they showed. its real.

Z_Y_W_Y

Banned
Am I the only one here that's a little disappointed? I mean, it sure looks fricking amazing, easily one of the best looking games of this gen and one of the best looking PS3 games, but... It looks EXACTLY like GoW3, which is kind of sad since SMS said they were using only 50% of their engine capability in GoW3, was hoping for a huge junp in their next GoW game, and there is none...

Sn4ke_911

Am I the only one here that's a little disappointed? I mean, it sure looks fricking amazing, easily one of the best looking games of this gen and one of the best looking PS3 games, but... It looks EXACTLY like GoW3, which is kind of sad since SMS said they were using only 50% of their engine capability in GoW3, was hoping for a huge junp in their next GoW game, and there is none...

glasses.jpg

Firstly, I think it does look better than God of War III. Better lighting, details, animation etc. Secondly, I think the overall scale of the environments and diversity is gonna be far superior.

Zen

Banned
The tech is amazing, too bad about the main character and game play :(

It (the gameplay) if some of the best in the genre hands down, that's the reason they're the genre leader in terms of sales and populrity They acheive a product that is far better rounded than their competitors and execute it all on a level that no one else has been able to match. Well, Kratos got reduced to something of a meat head post GoW1, something they tried to address in 3 at the end via Pandora's box, but this game seems to be taking a stab at making him more fleshed out.

Did you see the reveal video? to me that looked a lot better than GoW3 and the game is tackling much harder environments this time around (brighter with a lot more detail and color).

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Looks good, still kind of wish they had waited for PS4 for this. They can do GoWIV on that I guess.

jett

D-Member
It (the gameplay) if some of the best in the genre hands down, that's the reason they're the genre leader in terms of sales and populrity They acheive a product that is far better rounded than their competitors and execute it all on a level that no one else has been able to match.

What? What? WHAT?

No it's not. GOW is at the far bottom of the combat totem pole. Bayonetta, DMC4, Darksiders 2 and DmC all tower above it. SSM desperately needs new blood if they're going to keep making this sort of game. It's all about set pieces and epic moments for them but the actual gameplay is left in the dust.

Sn4ke_911

Looks good, still kind of wish they had waited for PS4 for this. They can do GoWIV on that I guess.

I don't understand comments like this. Why would you say that? aren't the graphics pretty enough for you? imo this is the best looking console game yet.

Untold Legends still looks better than any Xbox 1 game (judging from that video).

Ascension looks fantastic, but nextgen titles will blow it out of the water.

Edit: Is that water boss Charybdis? Looks absolutely insane.

Sure the rendering and level of detail are probably better in Untold Legends, but GoW2 sure looks far more impressive as a spectacle. Ascension will definitely hold up just because of how over the top it is.

As for the gameplay, what I like about God of War games is the fluidity and animation. It controls so well, even if the mechanics are simplistic compared to others in the genre.

Looks awesome and I LOVE how it looks more like GoW 1 & 2 stylewise. More lighter color palate. Looks much better than GoW3's darker style. The cut scenes in the PS2 GoW games should be jealous.

That being said, I can't help but feel this game will only last 5 hours. They say its as long as GoW 1 but for some reason I am expecting a shorter game.

meta4

What? What? WHAT?

No it's not. GOW is at the far bottom of the combat totem pole. Bayonetta, DMC4, Darksiders 2 and DmC all tower above it. SSM desperately needs new blood if they're going to keep making this sort of game. It's all about set pieces and epic moments for them but the actual gameplay is left in the dust.

Nonsense. GOW manages a perfect combination of accessibility and depth. It need not be some combo heavy game to do this. Set pieces btw are part of gameplay.

For eg check this version of the demo - http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_god_of_war_ascension_e3_demo_direct_feed_-27579_en.html

He neither uses the repair mechanic in the combat nor the blade upgrade combos yet it is as satisfying to play as ever. Sure you can use those in the demo if you want but it plays perfectly and feels satisfying without doing that as well. The gameplay just works perfectly. There is a hypnotic addictive quality to GOW combat which is why it is so popular.

Mr.Fresh

What? What? WHAT?

The gameplay is fine. And why would they follow other people when they are the genre leader?

Top Bottom