• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

Eh I disagree, I think all of the visual effects in GOW3 look great.

And even if you count the lightning as a negative, it still eats every other console game for lunch. It's just not better, it fucking obliterates everything around it.

You're welcome to disagree, but let be perfectly clear: I don't care.

sheeit I just made myself hype for this game, if only for the visuals

The part that looked the best to me was Gaia's heart/insides towards the end of the game. Just stared at the TV for a while.

BHK3

Banned
Even though I didn't want this game to happen, I want them to at least do god of war 1 proud.

Have a challenge of the gods thats actually hard. They got easier in 2, and somehow even easier in 3. The psp ones were total jokes, I thought 3's challenges were meant for babies but the psp ones can be beaten by a squirrel.

Yeah... How can the gameplay be more epic than GOW3's when he's not supposed to be a God or as raged as he was in the trilogy.

Well IIRC, he was fucking pissed after what Ares did to him so I doubt that will change. I think what the trailer is alluding to is what he was like before that betrayal. Yes he was a crazy son of a bitch before he killed his family but I'm sure he was a bit more balanced because they were there as well. Remember how he was in Chains of Olympus with Caliope? He definitely has a less angry side to him. He's just one passionate SOB and when you piss off someone who's passionate it turns to rage.

As far as gameplay, I think large scale war would definitely be EPIC and that's something that hasn't been done very well yet in action games. Heavenly Sword tried valiantly but there were way too many issues. I'm sure the guys in Santa Monica have a plan.

I definitely want to play through the story of how the Barbarians descended on the Spartans without warning. It's possible that Kratos had decided not to pursue his goal to make the greatness Sparta known throughout the world after speaking with his wife. But then he had no choice but to fight when the Barbarians attacked. And it was during this battle that he asked for the aid of Ares. This was a critical point in his life and it set in motion all the events we have played through in all the GOW games.

That's what really intrigues me; we finally get to dig into who Kratos really was before he was betrayed. Yes we saw how he was as a child in Ghost of Sparta but we never got to see the man he had become.

I think this game is going to be fucking epic and I'm ecstatic it is a series prequel. To be honest, a sequel to GOW3 that involved Kratos would have turned out fucking stupid more than likely. Though I'd still day one that shit.... lol

Nice trailer. I'm eager to see/hear more about it.

siEFF.jpg

Kmvsa.jpg

owJQK.jpg

Jq01G.jpg

yPjkD.jpg

VDbpm.jpg

Qb5oo.jpg

BmSOe.jpg

4qu2c.jpg

gVyWY.jpg

Gettin me hyped. I need to playthrough this game again.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Just so things are clear. Look like the order (chronologically) the games are set is this, from "oldest" to "newest":

GOW: Ascension
GOW: CoO
GOW 1
GOW: Betrayal
GOW: GoS
GOW 2
GOW 3
It looks like it'll be next to GOW1 based on the description though.

Mario007

i asked this in the other thread but when is the official reveal? We might get a few screenshots and/or a dev interview on the psblog

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
i asked this in the other thread but when is the official reveal? We might get a few screenshots and/or a dev interview on the psblog

Sounds like it's tomorrow, or today depending on where you live.

I'm not interested in the timeline of this GOW, it's a massive bummer for me.

Will still play. But I can't help but feel it won't be nearly as epic as 3 where he's fucking killing titans and shit. Man o man.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Wish GOW: Betrayal got PSN released so I could get trophies, would have made it a Septupology with Ascension

Gsak

It looks like it'll be next to GOW1 based on the description though.

The trailer shows Kratos "breaking" the chains (which were bestowed upon him by Ares). It also mentions the "blood oath" (when he swore his loyalty to Ares, in order to defeat the Barbarian King) to an "Unjust God" (Ares).

Chains Of Olympus is set during his 10 years of service to the Gods, after he has killed his wife and daughter and forsaken Ares.

Ascension is probably gonna tell that story.

Persona7

Banned
I was hoping for a female protagonist this time around.

I guess I'll do exactly what I did with GOW 3. Wait for a price drop and play it during the summer.

I've only played God of War 3 (relatively new Playstation owner) and I am totally down for another PS3 God of War game. Really excited to see what it looks like.

Raziel

glad this got leaked. leaked hard.

thats what you get for announcing a fucking announcement. no more cock-teases like that, please.

A new character? Unless it's set in the same universe (and that would be hard given the story arc) then it may as well be a new IP called something else. GoW and kratos go hand in hand.

i dunno, i guess people care about that for arbitrary reasons. it's not like there's integrity in story's flow or anything. They just need a new character with new things to rage kill, bam, it's a GoW game.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
The trailer shows Kratos "breaking" the chains (which were bestowed upon him by Ares). It also mentions the "blood oath" (when he swore his loyalty to Ares, in order to defeat the Barbarian King) to an "Unjust God" (Ares).

Chains Of Olympus is set during his 10 years of service to the Gods, after he has killed his wife and daughter and forsaken Ares.

Ascension is probably gonna tell that story.

Did you guys not read the Amazon description?
"Join Kratos as he seeks freedom, redemption, and the clarity to avenge his family in the most ambitious God of War adventure in the series so far."

Unless Amazon fucked up, that sounds very God of War 1.

Then there's the whole "WILL VENGEANCE BRING REDEMPTION". Sounds like vengeance is another theme in this game.

Ugh, I'm tired of this bullshit whining many people are doing over Kratos' character, Kratos still being the main character, and the setting still being greek mythology.

Spoilers may follow for GoW1-3:

Lets get something straight. Kratos was always, always a rage filled violent guy. He was born in a society where they throw babies away at the slightest detection of deformity. He was brought up as a warrior. And long before Ares, he was rampaging and conquering shit everywhere. He is not a nice guy, he is not meant to have popular redeeming qualities. He wants to win everything. He is just a rage filled killing machine, the ultimate badass. And that is how the developers designed him. From the very first game you could kill anything in your way, including killing innocent people for health orbs.

As Ares said, the only thing holding Kratos back from becoming even greater was his family. Then Ares took that away by placing his family in a village that Kratos was told to attack. At his point, when he looses his family, Kratos realizes the wrongs he had been doing, but by that time its too late for redemption/change in character. He already lost all he had to lose, his only chance to be a good person. Athena comes along and promises/implies that she can get rid of his misery over this loss, if he kills Ares. So Kratos focuses even greater rage and conviction against the god of war. He completes his mission, and Athena (being a dick) backtracks out of her promise. Kratos is still miserable, so he goes to kill himself. Athena, being a dick again, doesn't let him and places him on the throne as new god of war, at least playing to the side of him that loves power/conquest.

God of War 2 and Kratos is still miserable, the other gods don't welcome him well, and he's got nothing to do. So he goes back to his old ways, the one thing he's good at, waging war. Zeus comes along, takes away his power (denying him as a god), and then kills him. At this point Zeus was already being affected by fear released from Pandora's box. Enter Gaia, and she doesn't let Kratos die, and encourages him to fight back and seek revenge. Seems like good enough motivation to me. Remember, Zeus also raped his mother (probably). At this point Kratos isn't fighting for his family anymore, in fact I don't think they are mentioned in GoW 2 or 3 (except for when he mistakes Pandora for Caliope). So Kratos meets Zeus, can't win, gets the titans to help.

God of War 3 is just continuation of his revenge against Zeus. He doesn't care for the other people, but will kill them if they get in his way, which they do. I see nothing wrong with story or character here, both are consistent. Also to note is that if Kratos didn't take on the Gods at all, the infection of Pandora's box's evils would take over Olympus and screw everyone anyways, including mortals probably. And in the end, Kratos releases hope into the world, all good.

As for the setting, well no that wouldn't work. Greek mythology is one of the roots of the series, going anywhere else would be 'jumping the shark'. There would be a disconnect between setting and character. Make a different game for different mythology if need be. I'm not even sure that there is a notorious god of war in Egyptian mythos. The greek settings and creatures have been spectacular in every game.

Trevelyan

Banned

thats what you get for announcing a fucking announcement. no more cock-teases like that, please.

They didn't announce anything, they teased it. An announcement would have been a sony press release stating that on the 19th they would reveal a big game.

Gsak

Then there's the whole "WILL VENGEANCE BRING REDEMPTION". Sounds like vengeance is another theme in this game.

Read more carefully :

"The trailer shows Kratos "breaking" the chains (which were bestowed upon him by Ares). It also mentions the "blood oath" (when he swore his loyalty to Ares, in order to defeat the Barbarian King) to an "Unjust God" (Ares).

Ascension is probably gonna tell that story."

darkwing

yes I believe in Amazon more than Sony's trailer

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

I dont get this argument, do you just want to wake up one day and see random news appear?
At least this way you know something is coming and hype is build

Smokey

Will be a nice swan song for PS3.

God of War 3 is still the best looking game on the system and arguably the best looking of this gen.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
^ But how will "vengeance" be incorporated in that?

Ugh, I'm tired of this bullshit whining many people are doing over Kratos' character, Kratos still being the main character, and the setting still being greek mythology.

Spoilers may follow for GoW1-3:

Lets get something straight. Kratos was always, always a rage filled violent guy. He was born in a society where they throw babies away at the slightest detection of deformity. He was brought up as a warrior. And long before Ares, he was rampaging and conquering shit everywhere. He is not a nice guy, he is not meant to have popular redeeming qualities. He wants to win everything. He is just a rage filled killing machine, the ultimate badass. And that is how the developers designed him. From the very first game you could kill anything in your way, including killing innocent people for health orbs.

As Ares said, the only thing holding Kratos back from becoming even greater was his family. Then Ares took that away by placing his family in a village that Kratos was told to attack. At his point, when he looses his family, Kratos realizes the wrongs he had been doing, but by that time its too late for redemption/change in character. He already lost all he had to lose, his only chance to be a good person. Athena comes along and promises/implies that she can get rid of his misery over this loss, if he kills Ares. So Kratos focuses even greater rage and conviction against the god of war. He completes his mission, and Athena (being a dick) backtracks out of her promise. Kratos is still miserable, so he goes to kill himself. Athena, being a dick again, doesn't let him and places him on the throne as new god of war, at least playing to the side of him that loves power/conquest.

God of War 2 and Kratos is still miserable, the other gods don't welcome him well, and he's got nothing to do. So he goes back to his old ways, the one thing he's good at, waging war. Zeus comes along, takes away his power (denying him as a god), and then kills him. At this point Zeus was already being affected by fear released from Pandora's box. Enter Gaia, and she doesn't let Kratos die, and encourages him to fight back and seek revenge. Seems like good enough motivation to me. Remember, Zeus also raped his mother (probably). At this point Kratos isn't fighting for his family anymore, in fact I don't think they are mentioned in GoW 2 or 3 (except for when he mistakes Pandora for Caliope). So Kratos meets Zeus, can't win, gets the titans to help.

God of War 3 is just continuation of his revenge against Zeus. He doesn't care for the other people, but will kill them if they get in his way, which they do. I see nothing wrong with story or character here, both are consistent. Also to note is that if Kratos didn't take on the Gods at all, the infection of Pandora's box's evils would take over Olympus and screw everyone anyways, including mortals probably. And in the end, Kratos releases hope into the world, all good.

As for the setting, well no that wouldn't work. Greek mythology is one of the roots of the series, going anywhere else would be 'jumping the shark'. There would be a disconnect between setting and character. Make a different game for different mythology if need be. I'm not even sure that there is a notorious god of war in Egyptian mythos. The greek settings and creatures have been spectacular in every game.

the-rock-clapping.gif

Gsak

Even though I love Greek mythology (I'm Greek), and will probably always be my favorite "arc" of this franchise, whatever happens, I still disagree. God of War isn't about the God of War anymore. It's a whole franchise that can explore different mythologies, and kind of intertwine them in a way. If Sony wants to keep the franchise going, they're going to have to bail out of the Greek boat, and go with something new. Look at every other franchise out there that finished their trilogies; they're all moving on.

Only Bioware is at a dead end with Mass Effect, because they fucked themselves over with that ending.

Well, well... A fellow Greek gaffer? Καλώς τον!

And yes, I agree. Eventually they have to let Greek mythology go.

Top Bottom