• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension (PS3, Series Prequel) - Live stream 8AM PST 4/30

KingK

I'm actually pretty excited about the multiplayer. It looks pretty fun. Hopefully they also have some co-op modes and horde type modes, because I could see myself playing the shit out of that with my buddies who love GoW.

Hopefully 3D support means they'll be able to get in split-screen multiplayer. IIRC, 3D was the reason ND was able to add split-screen to Uncharted 3. In the stream, Todd mentioned that split screen hadn't been decided on yet, but I really hope they're able to get it in.

Thrakier

What a bunch of shit that 1up article is:

"I instantly recalled these comments as the megaclops fought against the worst case of blinding since King Lear, despite having murdered thousands upon thousands of digital creatures in my quarter century of gaming. The violence I'm most accustomed to comes in abstract, cartoonish, and mostly unrealistic depictions, and usually lasts just as long as it needs to for the sake of game flow. "

Just not true. The worst cases of violence we have is that in modern shooters like Modern Warfare, which sells bazilon of copies and gets universally praise from the press. Violence is not only about the explicity, it's about the context as well. The context in God of War is a fairy tale (somewhat), a brutal one, yes, but still. They can show blood and gore as much as they want (f.e. the movie "Brainded"), it will never be as brutal as the realistic approach many other games take.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
So Kratos is trying to break his bond with ares?

That isnt really the great origin story I was hoping for.

Thats set after Kratos kills his family so he will still be the rage filled ash skinned chain blade swinging guy he was in every other game.

I was expecting a pre Ares and pre chain blades Kratos. a true origin story that forced them to reinvent the god of war combat.

This seems like just another "kratos goes on a adventure" game like Chains of Olympus that doesnt really add anything to the fiction and just exists because they wanted another god of war game on ps3.

I would be ok if this game was being made by ready at dawn and the SSM team was working on something new but have SSM wasting there talents on this is just disappointing.

Oh and it has Multiplayer......

Honestly, I'm failing to see anything wrong with any of the things bolded above. Lol.

I've been a fan of the series since the original, and I've played every console/handheld release (minus the mobile phone version, of course).

When it comes to God of War, I want Kratos. I want to play as Kratos.

If you are going to:

A) Set it in a new mythology (Egyptian, Norse, Ancient Japan, Ancient China, etc),
B) With a new protagonist
C) With a new combat system/gameplay elements (making it larger, more Zelda like, for example)

Then, it's not really God of War is it? You are basically describing a new IP. Each of the Final Fantasy games could have been released as a brand new, stand alone RPG. They are, however, branded "Final Fantasy" for obvious reasons, namely capitalizing off of the name, Final Fantasy.

I can see them moving on to another setting, and calling it "God of War," to capitalize on the franchise name, but I'd prefer it to be it's own game, not shackled by the staples and tropes of the God of War franchise.

I think setting a new God of War game in ancient Egypt could be very limiting. I'd prefer a new series, set in ancient Egypt, without having to shoehorn God of War into it.

Santa Monica is certainly one of the most talented studios Sony has under it's belt, and I'm glad they are now two teams, working on multiple projects, but I kind of like my "God of War," Kratos only.

Kojima tried to replace Snake with Raiden in MGS2, and it just didn't work out. Fans are attached to the characters that birth a series.

I'd be just as annoyed if Nintendo made a new Super Mario Bros game, but Mario was no longer the main character. Or a new Metroid, where Samus was no longer the main character.

Kratos is an interesting character. His complete detachment and rage is what makes him fascinating. That someone that...cold, could exist is always fun to watch. There are plenty of other games on the market with the "noble hero," whose actions and motivations are always honorable and respectful.

Kratos is full on gray area. Maybe Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Evil. He is out for his own ends, because all that mattered to him was taken away, and the dude just doesn't give a fuck anymore. That's part of the reason why I love his character so much. Maybe the series hasn't done enough to make us see where he's coming from. ie, we probably really should play a scenario before he loses his family; where we see him interacting with his wife and Caliope, Heavy Rain style - (Kratos brushing his teeth and drinking orange juice while waiting for his wife and Caliope to return for her birthday party - LMAO).

In all seriousness, between the 5 released GoW games, I know a lot about Kratos, but I certainly won't scoff at more awesome adventure on the PS3. GoW3 was such a tease as to what God of War could be on the PS3.

Just look at the jump GoW2 made over GoW1 on the PS2. I'm whatever about the Multiplayer, but I can't wait to see what SSM pull off with GoWA, now that they have all that experience coding on the PS3. It's going to be amazing.

Tookay

Lol what the hell. Based on that snippet, he's never played a GOW game, only seen some preview coverage? Why did they put him on this if he's squeamish lol.

So you're squeamish if you feel uncomfortable about tearing a chained up creature's jaw open and then ganging up on it with your bros to prop its eye open so you can stab it?

I mean, I've played GoW and, yes, it's over-the-top and that's what this series is known for, but I kind of agree with his sentiment honestly.

They mentioned Trojans in the game. I hope that means that Troy will be in the game.
A God of war spin on the Trojan war would be epic, and who wouldn't want to fight with/against Achilles.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
But, it's a fantasy setting. With fantasy characters, and over the top violence.

If it's not his thing, it's not his thing, but I can understand people laughing at his squeamishness over fictional characters in a video game.

It's not like PETA is going to be protesting the treatment of cyclops' anytime soon.

I can see Kratos killing Achilles. lol. Turns out it wasn't his heel that did him in, Kratos just ripped off his foot and bludgeoned him to death with it.

i-Lo

"Peripherally" is the key term mentioned in that "preview". Clearly he isn't the right person for that job. This kind of knee jerk reaction is more surprising considering what GoW3 portrayed. The objectivity of the preview went right out of the window with this one.

Personally I get extremely queasy when it comes to gore in film but video games still haven't reached that level of photo realism to induce the same emotion.

I remember watching behind the scenes of GoW2 a long time ago. In one instance, there was a round table discussion among devs and play testers. One of the play tester said that killing and ripping apart enemies was therapeutic for him after a frustrating day at work. He also wondered if things could be even more brutal. I think GoW has always been that medicine to satisfy the desire to commit uber violence given violence is in our nature. It's like masturbation for violence at home. It's much safer this way.

KingK

Ok. This worries me. I don't want the SP-graphics to suffer just because of 3D support : /

uncharted3plane.gif

Like I said, 3D support could be a good thing if it leads to them being able to put split screen into the multiplayer. I wouldn't be concerned about the graphics at all. I'm sure the single player will look better than God of War 3 did.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Hmm, appears to have aped rotating objective (ala Warzone in KZ). That is a very good thing. I can't say I really care about MP though.

I think I'm alone here but I think the gore in gow series is very classy unlike many other series like mortal kombat or postal where I thought the gore is actually just for cheap laughs. Yes gow its very gory and brutal and it's very unapologetic about it, but I think the fact that it's unapologetic about it is what make it classy and not tasteless to me. That head ripping scene in gow 3, that felt so real, some people will definitely feel squeamish watching that, but I don't laugh at it, I think it show how far gone Kratos has become

I felt horrible for many of the gods death in gow3, I think no one deserve that kind of death, and I felt I'm a horrible person if I laughed at it even though some part of me admit that it was a cool scene. I dont felt that kind of emotion in other games gore like mortal kombat.

Riggs

Banned
People complaining about gore in a GoW game, I don't even know what to say. Not excited about MP but it may be fun. Sure hope so, I love GoW!!

I actually agree, that was also my first reaction to the footage, although my problem wasn't so much with the eye as much as the jaw being split apart. Too much is too much, especially when it looks this realistic. It's not a huge problem - yet - but I really see no need for such extreme violence in games of this type.

This shows that they're doing it right. They're getting the type of reaction that Mortal Kombat should've received for its fatalities had they pushed the limits. Push that gore bar as far as possible!

nib95

Banned
I actually agree, that was also my first reaction to the footage, although my problem wasn't so much with the eye as much as the jaw being split apart. Too much is too much, especially when it looks this realistic. It's not a huge problem - yet - but I really see no need for such extreme violence in games of this type.

Where do you draw the line? What game types should be permitted to have violence of this type? Why is shooting someone in the face, or blowing limbs off ok but not slicing someone's jaw? And what are your thoughts about violence in movies? (Cinema still ousts video games when it comes to violent extremities.)

Then you shouldn't be in this thread...

Toppot

Disappointed that all we really got was multiplayer. Does look like they have given good thought to the online and I'm open to it being good.

I want that single player though! More story and more epicness.

Derrick01

Banned
People complaining about gore in a GoW game, I don't even know what to say. Not excited about MP but it may be fun. Sure hope so, I love GoW!!

It seems to happen every time. We had a bunch of whiners even on Gaf after the god of war 3 E3 demo.

"OMG TOO YUCKY!!!". It's a lame phase that most will get over as time goes on.

This shows that they're doing it right. They're getting the type of reaction that Mortal Kombat should've received for its fatalities had they pushed the limits. Push that gore bar as far as possible!

I think the point is that if you're going to do gore, you have to treat it very well. You should feel horrible after watching a particularly bloody scene, otherwise you're actually cheapening the violence, making people think that violence is funny and okay when its not.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I think the point is that if you're going to do gore, you have to treat it very well. You should feel horrible after watching a particularly bloody scene, otherwise you're actually cheapening the violence, making people think that violence is funny and okay when its not.

Yes, the issue of brutal violence against gigantic Cyclopes is one of the most serious issues of our time.

Asriel

The 1UP article makes some pretty good points, so I think it's silly to dismiss it immediately.

That said, God of War had always been a tacky, trashy, and tasteless series that will appeal to some and repel others.

I love the series for it. But to expect everyone to love it is naive. It's going to turn people off, and so what if Bob Mackey is one of them? He doesn't get to express his opinion because of that?

Leckan

Why does every single God of War game have a different director (don't know about the PSP games)?

Are they doing this on purpose or what?

Why does every single God of War game have a different director (don't know about the PSP games)?

Are they doing this on purpose or what?
Every single director felt so worn out after finishing a god of war game that they felt they need to distance themselves away from it for some time.

:lol, Kratos was pulling eyeballs out and ripping heads off in the last game with extreme detail as well. Ridiculous to start complaining now.

As for the multiplayer, it looks good, I guess, but I'm not sure how much I really wanted multiplayer in this game. We'll see how it ends up.

GOW should be full of brutal violence and gore it's base on Greek mythology , all you have to do is read a few stories to see that how thing should be .

Where do you draw the line? What game types should be permitted to have violence of this type?

That's subjective, of course. I'm definitely not advocating censorship, except perhaps that of the self-imposed type. As someone has said a bit earlier, context is everything. I love horror films/games, although I'm generally not a fan of brutally realistic depictions of physical violence. It fits there. Comical violence, as seen in films such as Braindead or Severance, is fine with me, too. It can also be justified if it's there to deliver an artistic message (like in Cutting Moments, for instance), which is clearly not the case here. If it's none of those, then it's there just for exploitation purposes - which is not necessarily something to condemn either, I just personally feel they're taking it too far. This is a hugely popular mainstream series, after all, one supposed to depict at least somewhat heroic acts. I don't like the sadistic spectacle they're making out of it (I also hated those x-ray moves in Mortal Kombat, by the way), but to each their own.

Hauk

Neo Member
How in the hell do they incorporate a multiplayer system into GoW? Everyone just smash attacks and random spells deathmatch style on an arena?

nib95

Banned
That's subjective, of course. I'm definitely not advocating censorship, except perhaps that of the self-imposed type. As someone has said a bit earlier, context is everything. I love horror films/games, although I'm generally not a fan of brutally realistic depictions of physical violence. It fits there. Comical violence, as seen in films such as Braindead or Severance, is fine with me, too. It can also be justified if it's there to deliver an artistic message (like in Cutting Moments, for instance), which is clearly not the case here. If it's none of those, then it's there just for exploitation purposes - which is not necessarily something to condemn either, I just personally feel they're taking it too far. This is a hugely popular mainstream series, after all, one supposed to depict at least somewhat heroic acts. I don't like the sadistic spectacle they're making out of it (I also hated those x-ray moves in Mortal Kombat, by the way), but to each their own.

Kratos is, and always has been a ruthless, murdering, violent, maniacal soldier of war. He has little to no compassion and is fuelled by a lust of either power or vengeance. There's little that's heroic or noble about him, and such violent acts probably fit his character better than any other video game character out there.

I think you're missing the boat on this one.

I think that they achieve that on some level. Some people in the GoW threads today have mentioned that they feel sorry for the monsters. But at the end of the day we're talking about an industry that builds games around murdering hundreds/thousands of enemies over the course of a game. It's going to be difficult to make the majority of people feel "horrible" about slaughtering them.

But I don't think that it makes people think that extreme violence is okay. I love the gore in GoW, but I absolutely can't handle real gore. Just watching MMA will make me turn away whenever someone breaks a bone or when someone has a big gash on their head. But games really aren't a big deal for me when it comes to gore, so I like to see them do whatever they can. Push the limits to see what the ESRB will accept.

GOW is all about brutality and gore. I hope they push the boundaries even more.

untitled-8ymjog.gif

Yuterald

So, this is the "Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One" & the "Lara Croft and the Guardian of Life" of the God of War franchise? I watched some of the footage and it looks really boring, to be honest. Man, God of War hasn't been interesting since the PS2 games. I think I'll pass on this.

KingK

GOW should be full of brutal violence and gore it's base on Greek mythology , all you have to do is read a few stories to see that how thing should be .

Seriously. Anybody complaining about the gore should go read Oedipus or something. The dude gouges his own eyes out because he found out he was sleeping with his mom. Greek mythology is fucked up.

Akainu

GOW is all about brutality and gore. I hope they push the boundaries even more.

untitled-8ymjog.gif
The more I look at it the more I wonder if it even has a skull. It mouth shouldn't flap around like that even if the jaw was cut if half should it? And it's lip is really flappy. And you people whining about violence in God of War should just get out.

From the mind of Todd Pappy: The dude who thought of the press the analogue sticks to poke Poseidon's eye out.

The dude is a sick bastard, but I like what I see so far.

Akainu said:
The more I look at it the more I wonder if it even has a skull. It mouth shouldn't flap around like that even if the jaw was cut if half should it. And it's lip is really flappy. And you people whining about violence in God of War should just get out.

Look up Glasgow Smile/Grin. If the jaw was split in two vertically, I think it would be that loose. Glasgow Grins only slice the cheeks in half and they disfigure pretty badly.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think I'm pretty much desensitized to gore in video games. I don't really think what we're seeing here is extreme or anything, but I can understand if people find it gross. It's going to get an A rating anyway so I feel they should go all out with the gore. I'd even go as far as to say that it defines this franchise.

Top Bottom