• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension Viral Game: Earn Exclusive DLC, Early Demo Access

Word, loving the webstore right now. Just got the code from the GOW website and popped over to the SEN website, input the code, boom, all done.

JJD

Thanks jett!

Can I log off once my download has started and delete the local user account on my PS3?

If you delete the user account you used to download it, the demo will be inaccessible.

Delete it only if you don't want to play the game anymore.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Hey guys

it wont let me sign into psn

comes up with this

" you cannot sign in into another persons account"

:(

thanks for this jett. appreciate it.

Calibur

222222222248sa7.png

Is this Last years old Demo or the new 30min Demo?

JB1981

How do you guys feel about this demo? First things first, the graphics are astounding. Once again SSM has outdone themselves. The tech on display is extraordinary.

That being said, this demo didnt do much for me. Maybe I am going crazy but the controls don't feel right to me. They feel a little "laggy" for lack of a better term. The camera in certain instances was pulled back too far. Kratos' chains don't feel like they are having impact when they come into contact with enemies. The enemies in the demo were boring to me. I felt like I was doing more button mashing than normal. I have not played God of War 3 in some time but its combat mechanics felt tighter and more refined to me.

Lastly I don't feel the story makes it very clear at what point in the Kratos saga this games takes place in. Aside from being visually stunning I was disappointed by this demo. I will wait for reviews

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
How do you guys feel about this demo? First things first, the graphics are astounding. Once again SSM has outdone themselves. The tech on display is extraordinary.

That being said, this demo didnt do much for me. Maybe I am going crazy but the controls don't feel right to me. They feel a little "laggy" for lack of a better term. The camera in certain instances was pulled back too far. Kratos' chains don't feel like they are having impact when they come into contact with enemies. The enemies in the demo were boring to me. I felt like I was doing more button mashing than normal. I have not played God of War 3 in some time but its combat mechanics felt tighter and more refined to me.

Lastly I don't feel the story makes it very clear at what point in the Kratos saga this games takes place in. Aside from being visually stunning I was disappointed by this demo. I will wait for reviews

It was pretty much as I expected from watching the video of it. I don't think it really puts its best foot forward as far as combat goes. The chains feel weak and there are a lot of enemies to kill and not a lot of moves to kill them with. I don't share your complaint about the combat feeling loose; I like the speed and animation tweaks. The enemies, though, aren't very interesting. They also don't always have the highly visible glows when they attack, which could make parrying more difficult, especially when the camera's at a distance and things are getting busy on screen.

The cut to pre-rendered cutscene is pretty obvious when the boss is first introduced, but that's not the kind of thing I care much about.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but the camerawork during the boss is... not perfect. Same for when you're in the room while the giant hands are holding it. I couldn't tell what was happening or where I was a lot more often than I'm used to in a GOW game. This doesn't make a big difference on the normal because you can take a lot of punishment and don't have to play particularly well, but I could see this being an issue on harder difficulties.

The voicework and writing seem on par with the best GOW has offered in the past.

SSReborn

It was pretty much as I expected from watching the video of it. I don't think it really puts its best foot forward as far as combat goes. The chains feel weak and there are a lot of enemies to kill and not a lot of moves to kill them with. I don't share your complaint about the combat feeling loose; I like the speed and animation tweaks. The enemies, though, aren't very interesting. They also don't always have the highly visible glows when they attack, which could make parrying more difficult, especially when the camera's at a distance and things are getting busy on screen.

The cut to pre-rendered cutscene is pretty obvious when the boss is first introduced, but that's not the kind of thing I care much about.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but the camerawork during the boss is... not perfect. Same for when you're in the room while the giant hands are holding it. I couldn't tell what was happening or where I was a lot more often than I'm used to in a GOW game. This doesn't make a big difference on the normal because you can take a lot of punishment and don't have to play particularly well, but I could see this being an issue on harder difficulties.

The voicework and writing seem on par with the best GOW has offered in the past.

You know what I think the original demo was better based upon the fact that you had more tools to work with. Right now when you play it Kratos is so barebones when it comes to moves so it doesn't do a good job of actually showing you the possibilities of the combat the most it highlights is the spectacle that the game will no doubt have.

JB1981

This is one of my main complaints with the combat in the demo. Parrying was next to impossible to me and the screen is just too damn busy. It's hard to pick up on visual cues in the thick of things. The boss battle is irritating for this reason. The difficulty setting in the demo made the sequence pretty forgiving but I imagine on harder difficulties some of these combat scenarios will be rather aggravating. The camera work needs refinement in the boss sequence in my opinion.

jett

D-Member
Parrying isn't unlocked in this demo. You could parry easily in the previous demo and the enemies all flashed before attacking.

I agree with hey_it's_that_dog that the camera is not as good as previous games. They've tried it to make the action look closer and more ground level when you play(similar to a japanese action game) to make it seem more involving I assume but they've taken away the one perfect feature of the series. And with no camera control at all....well...

After MGR, the combat in this game doesn't cut it. It does feel looser, less responsive and just flat out weaker to play with than GOW3. I think the sound effects are partly to blame, instead of a good slash or clunk sound the chains sound like a magic attack or something. I'm not really enjoying the ebb and flow, and my attacks don't feel like they're hitting the enemies. Honestly, with how limited your range of moves are this isn't a good demo as far as I'm concerned. Some flashes of pretty set pieces just aren't good enough.

After this one, they really need to put Kratos out to pasture. This franchise needs major reinvention to go forward.

ced

Besides the visuals, like the previous installments first levels it's pretty underwhelming. I'm not worried about the rest of the game though, all of them have started with amazing looking but somewhat boring first levels. I really liked the demo they showed for E3, nothing to worry about.

JB1981

Parrying isn't unlocked in this demo. You could parry easily in the previous demo and the enemies all flashed before attacking.

I agree with hey_it's_that_dog that the camera is not as good as previous games. They've tried it to make the action look closer and more ground level when you play(similar to a japanese action game) to make it seem more involving I assume but they've taken away the one perfect feature of the series. And with no camera control at all....well...

After MGR, the combat in this game doesn't cut it. It does feel looser, less responsive and just flat out weaker to play with than GOW3. I think the sound effects are partly to blame, instead of a good slash or clunk sound the chains sound like a magic attack or something. I'm not really enjoying the ebb and flow, and my attacks don't feel like they're hitting the enemies. Honestly, with how limited your range of moves are this isn't a good demo as far as I'm concerned. Some flashes of pretty set pieces just aren't good enough.
After this one, they really need to put Kratos out to pasture. This franchise needs major reinvention to go forward.

I agree completely.

Toppot

The E3 demo felt better, even if it wasn't as long or visually impressive. Camera is too far out sometimes and it's hard to see enemies attacking, did feel rather limiting on attacks.

Still, looking forward to the full game and that amazing multiplayer.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I didn't notice an overall problem with the camera, but I'll agree that after several straight hours of being mesmerized by MGR, GOW combat can't compare, and it never has stood up to any of the Japanese heavy hitters.

However, I have a different mindset when I play GOW games, and I try not to let those comparisons damper my appreciation of them as a well-rounded package. Part of what I like about GOW games is that they're like walking through a giant museum exhibit of top notch art and modeling. Rising is not at all like that, but you don't have time to think about it because of how much ass is being kicked. I can appreciate both approaches to action gaming.

The E3 demo felt better, even if it wasn't as long or visually impressive. Camera is too far out sometimes and it's hard to see enemies attacking, did feel rather limiting on attacks.

Still, looking forward to the full game and that amazing multiplayer.

i felt this way too. there were times when I completely lost track of kratos.

I completely agree about the camera and how its affecting the combat. There were definitely times during the demo where I didn't know where I was during a fight. Its probably too late to tweak but it definitely affected some of the group fights.

That said, the demo stage was amazing and pretty slick with regards to the level and the interaction with the boss/stage

JJD

I really liked the combat, but I agree wholeheartedly with the bolded. They need to rethink their focus if they want to keep going with the GOW series.

The "going bigger" methodology isn't going to work next time.

Still, I'm excited about the game.

vdlow

The music is amazing, the graphics are jaw-dropping, I liked the gameplay, and I always love these huge scenarios and enemies that God of War always delivers. The only problem that I found was, as some of you already said, sometimes I didn't know where I was. The camera was too far away or in a bad position. I hope this is only a problem of the beggining of the game.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Playing the demo last night, looks so darn good, next-gen can be kind of a bummer when you see all these great looking titles being shown off and then have to return to current game, but GoW:A looks really fantastic; at one point I was surprised how good Kratos and the world looks.

Do we have a "demo impressions" topic of some kind seeing as it will be available to everyone next week?

i felt this way too. there were times when I completely lost track of kratos.

I had the same problem creep up a few times while playing the demo, Kratos was there one second then a horde of enemies and some zooming out and I would lose him for a couple seconds to find I had been hit and knocked down because I couldn't see I was getting attacked either.

Feindflug

I felt the opposite actually, the controls felt less laggy than 3 even when the game dropped frames..I didn't notice anything wrong about hit detection and overall I really enjoyed the demo.

The only negative thing is the IQ which is big step down from GoW3, the shimmering in some places was really distracting...besides the IQ issues the game looks and runs awesome.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm gonna guess that Thor hammer is not canon material otherwise that answers the question whether other gods/pantheons exist in the God of War universe.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm gonna guess that Thor hammer is not canon material otherwise that answers the question whether other gods/pantheons exist in the God of War universe.

Well it says "inspired by history's Vikings" so it is based on our actual history rather than the GoW universe, and as it is MP only it seems to be more of them just taking a well known God's weapon from mythology for and letting people use it for fun.

pje122

How do the rank rewards work? Are codes emailed out or do we get the rewards automatically when we boot up the game?

Top Bottom