• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War details, in-depth RPG systems, No load screens, plus more

BumRush

Yeah that is clearly the opening tutorial. Plus I can tell no one here actually read the article in the OP but Cory said they could have started with one of the epic fights everyone expects but they wanted to show there new direction they are taking with Kratos first and foremost

I read it, Bruce. I read it.

Thing is, i wanna say 90%, but let's just say the vast majority of action games based on melee produced in the west, aren't very interesting or even good, when it comes to combat gameplay.
Not if you use Japanese games are a metric for comparison (anything from Ninja Gaiden, to DMC, to Bayonetta, to even Bloodborne).
God of War was one of the few that was, i'm not even saying nearly as good, but at least trying.

This to me, and i am fully aware we're far too soon to judge, but what it looks like, it looks like a step away from even trying to be that, and more towards the full on "cinematic narrative game" sphere, with a lot of walk&talk and all them shenanigans.
Which i usually find very forgettable and uninteresting.

I was never a big fan of GoW, so i'm not really upset, but i can't really see this change as a really positive one as of now.
I hope they'll prove me wrong though.

My thoughts exactly. Unless they absolutely nail the story like TLoU did, I doubt that this game will be enjoyable for me.

To be fair, I didn't want the same old God of War combat system, I was hoping for something a bit more complex like the games you mentioned. I knew it was unlikely, but damn I would've preferred that same old combat over this Ryse-like nonsense. I'm not really upset either as I wasn't a huge fan of GoW, but I expected a competent character action game filled with spectacle at the very least. Hard to imagine that when you're babysitting the son all game.

Scalebound's poor showing did no favors for my reception of this game either. I was like well at least God of War is something. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but nope. Ugh where is DMC5 Capcom?

We know you can fist melee. You can throw your weapon (axe). Do ground pounds. Kick? Rage mode. Have your kid launch arrows which probably means you'll probably have a bow and arrow too at some point. That's besides the basic attack with the axe, KI Thunder style.
So wait.. it has more depth than previous games? Lol

Loudninja

Go back and look at how GOW opened up with the basic chains. All you can do is one-two-three and one-two-three-pause-four attacks and a roll.

We don't know anything about the new combat engine.
Yeah something we have to wait and see.

But I like what I see already.

While the E3 demo was a quieter, more character-driven look at the game, Barlog assured me that the series isn’t shrugging off its bombastic, cinematic roots. The reason they didn’t focus the E3 demo on a huge, spectacle-filled set piece is that it's a given that the game will have those. Barlog and Sony Santa Monica have mastered those moments, so with this demo, they wanted to surprise fans and non-fans of the series with the unexpected.

So basically what a lot of us expected.

I'm excited!

GnawtyDog

Banned
So wait.. it has more depth than previous games? Lol

The slice that they showed had a lot and I am betting it has a lot more we don't know about.

But yeah so far I think the combat will be more varied for sure. Typical GOW revolved around the many combo's you could do with your various weapons - a skill tree. Melee was relegated to grabs (which we'll probably have here too) + shoulder rush. I see melee here ala Uncharted but with a GOW touch of brutality. We do need clarification as to whether the melee is simply a button press (and everything else automated) or several button presses (2-3 + optional finisher) continuing a combo ala Uncharted/TLOU.

Good stuff for sure.

Really excited for this new God of War, only worrying thing is after playing Uncharted 4 I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy the kid following you around as it's clearly influenced by tlou.

That being said, I'd understand why people wouldn't be happy with this. As someone who's a God of War fan, likes Kratos and weren't bored of a game that only has 3 main instalments, this seems like a completely different game with a completely new character. The slow methodical combat isn't for everyone, some people enjoyed the button mashing combat. And I liked angry Kratos a lot, but I know with his son in the game his anger will be much tamer.

I'm not sure how I feel about my favourite franchises becoming seriously narrative heavy. Hope the game turns out amazing though.

This certainly is something fresh. I actually got Tomb Raider vibes from it, but better! Very excited to play this game with it's new direction.

ryseing

Pretty prominent thing in GOW too. Im thinking it is Kratos, and the kid is another demigod, son of a Goddess maybe. At least Barlog is handling it so its basically his call anyway, lore-wise.

Is there a Norse goddess of the hunt a la Artemis?

The slice that they showed had a lot and I am betting it has a lot more we don't know about.

But yeah so far I think the combat will be more varied for sure. Typical GOW revolved around the many combo's you could do with your various weapons. Melee was relegated to grabs (which we'll probably have here too) + shoulder rush.
Yeah for sure. Im pretty sure they know how important the kombat was to the franchise. Im sure there are tons of crazy weapons, large scale set pieces, big combos ect. They just look like they may have got rid of the flashy trails behind your swings. Im sure there will be weapons with a longer reach as well. I liked GOWs kombat as much as the next guy but in reality it wasnt that deep and took nothing to pull off huge combos. I'll wait till I see a bit more before I start freaking out about the fighting in this game.

BumRush

Is there a Norse goddess of the hunt a la Artemis?

From Wiki:

• Odin, chief god and ruler of Asgard, associated with wisdom, war, battle, and death, and also magic, poetry, prophecy, victory, and the hunt
  • Skaði, a jötunn and goddess associated with bowhunting, skiing, winter, and mountains

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Nothing more hilarious than a bunch of people worrying about SSM ... fucking SSM!!! ... getting the combat in a God of War game wrong :-D :-D :-D

I can't wait for the eventual "fuck shit up trailer". Blood and gore and smooth/easy combos are these guy's bread and butter. Ya'll are on heron if you think it's not gonna be godamned ridiculous.

Only thing i could see someone legit being concerned about is the new camera angle? Maybe? .. I personally love it. Fixed cameras were for when you needed to hide the limits of your engine/game design/hardware. Now is the time for making your OWN fantastic camera angles while you gouge a troll's eye out with your boot heel!!!

Hyped.

edit: Also how are ya'll not expecting the most rage filled psycho insane Kratos we have ever seen after like 4/5ths of the game is over and for a level or two they kidnap the boy or some shit? Dude is gonna go mental.

ryseing

From Wiki:

• Skaði, a jötunn and goddess associated with bowhunting, skiing, winter, and mountains

Huh. I feel like Kratos assuming the kid knew how to hunt because of his mother and "he's raising the kid to be a god" points to the mother's identity being something along these lines. Thanks for the info.

UrbanRats

My thoughts exactly. Unless they absolutely nail the story like TLoU did, I doubt that this game will be enjoyable for me.

To be fair, I didn't want the same old God of War combat system, I was hoping for something a bit more complex like the games you mentioned. I knew it was unlikely, but damn I would've preferred that same old combat over this Ryse-like nonsense. I'm not really upset either as I wasn't a huge fan of GoW, but I expected a competent character action game filled with spectacle at the very least. Hard to imagine that when you're babysitting the son all game.

Scalebound's poor showing did no favors for my reception of this game either. I was like well at least God of War is something. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but nope. Ugh where is DMC5 Capcom?
Honestly Nier automata (even though it's sold as an RPG) is what i'm looking forward to the most, in that sense.
There's not a lot to choose from, if you enjoy those kind of games, nowadays.

uceenk

Developer change the genre all the time (FF Tactics, Monster Hunter X)

so i don't get it when people think it should have new IP

although probably Sony need to put additional title to indicate this is new genre, example

God of War : new chapter
God of War : offspring
God of War : whatever i'm not good with names

Sitting beside chapter 3 of MGSV

Developer change the genre all the time (FF Tactics, Monster Hunter X)

so i don't get it when people think it should have new IP

although probably Sony need to put additional title to indicate this is new genre, example

God of War : new chapter
God of War : offspring
God of War : whatever i'm not good with names

I liked Austin Walker's suggestion of SON OF WAR but that probably would have been a little too on the nose. Maybe for the sequel?

Slightly off topic but I tried replaying god of war 1 on psnow and I'm stuck at the Hydra boss because the circle mashing doesn't seem to work? Anyone know what's up with that? Didn't wanna create a brand new thread.

Wow the skeptic gamers changed their tune because the developer had to tell them that their reenvisioned gameplay of a popular franchise is still going to be rather similar because of a 10 minute world premiere demo.

God of War looks amazing. I immediately thought of the combat when I saw the gameplay. It was kinda a letdown that people really thought the actual GoW devs were gonna make a watered down game on the PS4.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Thought this would be an appropriate thread to show my Kratos tattoo.
b6CFWz3.jpg

The God

Go back and look at how GOW opened up with the basic chains. All you can do is one-two-three and one-two-three-pause-four attacks and a roll.

We don't know anything about the new combat engine.

Then they should've shown an area where the combat has opened up cuz I'm not feeling it combat-wise yet.

Amandeep

Never had a chance to get into this series fully, having only played the psp game, but everything I'm hearing is only making me more excitied. Can't wait for more info :)

Bishop89

What if, the demo is an epilogue, and the actual game takes place several years prior, no kid, no babysitting 😉

KodaRuss

Sounds Amazing. Sign me up. Good to see an evolution of a series. Hopefully they hit the nail on the head with this reboot/reimagine.

Nerokis

Honestly, this was probably the best surprise of the show for me. I just can't believe I'm feeling this hyped about a God of War game again. Like, throughout the trailer, I found Kratos straight up fascinating, and that's not supposed to be a thing that happens. Everything I've seen and read has been great.

Now if only Gears 4 could've took a different fresh turn then the same old same old.

The contrast is incredible. I loved the first couple games of each franchise, didn't have much interaction with them after those, and didn't feel much a pull toward them at all. Now I'm as indifferent toward Gears as I've ever been, and about as excited for God of War as I've ever been.

Top Bottom