• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War is objectively better on Balanced Difficulty

I guess I have understood the arguments of Halo being more of a super soldier simulator on normal.

But Halo is fun with challenge. It was the best part of God of War 2018. What happened?

hemo memo

Every game is objectively better on normal/balanced difficulty. It is the difficulty dev put the most time to balance and the most difficulty the majority will choose and that’s is why it is the default difficulty.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Give Me No Mercy was more than fine for me.
Every game is objectively better on normal/balanced difficulty. It is the difficulty dev put the most time to balance and the most difficulty the majority will choose and that’s is why it is the default difficulty.
I disagree, especially for survival horror games. in those games I need to snuggle and barely surviving each encounter but normal difficulty you just breeze through everything, which in my opinion works against its horror and survival part of the game and just down right boring.

Neff

It's far more common for games to be developed around higher difficulties, with variables adjusted to give players an easier time on lower difficulties. Frame data, physics and level design is tweaked based on rigourously harsh testing. It's not feasible to develop a game around normal difficulty then simply arbitrarily make it more difficult based on guesswork, because you're highly likely to run into broken gameplay conflicts. A game has to work at high difficulties, and that's why games are designed around them. Lower difficulties simply strip out features and adjust variables to be more forgiving.

R6Rider

Gold Member
More games need to have custom difficulty options really. Most games don't even tell what's different.

Then again most "harder" difficulties are simply you doing less damage/more enemy health, and then having enemies do more damage to you.

april6e

I'm beating a dead horse by now, but no, I cannot agree. The 2nd to hardest difficulty was perfect. Your experience sounds like you overestimated your ability and needed to drop down a difficulty level to have a much safer experience where you aren't having your gameplay sessions interrupted by a bunch of deaths. Or the build you were running wasn't outputting enough damage because you didn't keep up with upgrade (aka doing sidequests) or you weren't spamming abilities off cooldown (all 4 of them) to help your damage.

There were sections of the game where I died 3-5 times in a row but it was due to my own mistakes, not because the game was cheap in dealing damage to me.

sendit

I'm beating a dead horse by now, but no, I cannot agree. The 2nd to hardest difficulty was perfect. Your experience sounds like you overestimated your ability and needed to drop down a difficulty level to have a much safer experience where you aren't having your gameplay sessions interrupted by a bunch of deaths. Or the build you were running wasn't outputting enough damage because you didn't keep up with upgrade (aka doing sidequests) or you weren't spamming abilities off cooldown (all 4 of them) to help your damage.

There were sections of the game where I died 3-5 times in a row but it was due to my own mistakes, not because the game was cheap in dealing damage to me.
Disagree. I would rather scrape my balls against 1000 grit sandpaper over even considering dropping the difficulty level down.

Last edited:

damidu

nah its way too easy, you can easily get by with button mashing.
no mercy can be harsh sometimes but forces you to engage with games systems more deeply . whole package feels so much more satisfying as a result.

Certinty

I feel like this is the problem with most games on higher difficulty, enemies just become sponges and a bore to defeat. Exactly the same reason I turned down Gotham Knights to easy difficulty half way through as it just became so tedious.

Saying that, this is one of the reasons Call of Duty games have always been best played on veteran. Provides a great challenge whilst damage done to enemies more or less remains the same.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia

For clarity, my post isn’t related to dying, it has to do with the enemies soaking up way too much damage, and the fights/gameplay becoming a slog because of that. Dreading these encounters because it became the same old thing… spamming dodge, and the less powerful runes/abilities that charge quicker.

Lasha

I beat it give on Give me God of war as a first playthrough. GOW2018's harder difficulties are balanced around new game plus where you already have gear and stuff. The first hour is the absolute worst since you have to brute force your way through drogur with skill alone. It becomes significantly easier once you have more combat options.

Objectively better? I think the game was more boring when I tried balanced for a look.

Justin9mm

What I understood from OP's post... I set the difficulty to 'Give Me No Mercy'. It felt off because you know I'm usually better and this was a chore (too hard). So, I put it down to balanced and man is it so fun now. It's so much better on balanced difficulty. It wasn't me it was the game, there is something wrong with the difficulty because I wasn't enjoying it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Majormaxxx

I never play on easy. Mostly normal. But when I've played a game a lot, I replay on harder levels. For example, I played the uncharted trilogy so much, I think I reached crushing. Same with the 360 COD campaigns - except for 1, which was not fun on hard.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I dont know why some people are so afraid of dying in games, failing/dying is part of playing video game.

Rubicaant

I do like that the harder difficulties in GoWR actually changes the gameplay, makes more creatures harder to stagger and what-not. but the hp sponge nature is getting old. i'm probably a bit over halfway through and It's starting to feel like a slog. i may bump it down to 2nd highest difficulty.

Top Bottom