• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Launches Early 2018 (PS4)

Drencrom

I had several talks about the story with my wife, who is Swedish. I always wanted to add things that criss-cross throughout the mythology, so I've been talking to her about whether she thinks what I'm trying to do is trivializing her culture and history. I wanted to make sure I was doing something that was cool versus making it lame and traipsing on something sacred. There's a personal aspect because I'm connected to this a lot more than it being just a story. I was working in Sweden when I met her, and I just hope I'm honoring Sweden.

As a Swede I can assure him that he's not doing the Norse mythology any disservice.

Great interview overall with lots of nice tidbits and insight on what motivated Cory changing up the GoW formula and his views/thoughts on Kratos and fatherhood. It makes me very confident that he and SSM will knock it out of the park with this game.

As a creative person who's dedicating five years to something – I don't want to do just the same thing. You have to give a lot of yourself to this. One of the things I talked to Sony about when I came back was that I don't just want to make another game. It's not about just shipping something. I want to make a game that really means something. I want something with heart. I want something that I can show my kid and really say that I'm proud of what it says. I want to be able to tell him that I loved working on this, but I also feel I gave a piece of myself to it. I think that would be a great lesson for him to take away from this. If you give a piece of yourself, and are really sincere – that's the reward.

Great director, great person, great visions.

MCD250

Those paragraphs where Barlog talks about Kratos as a character and as a person were quite interesting. Great interview.

Those paragraphs where Barlog talks about Kratos as a character and as a person were quite interesting. Great interview.
That he can see such potential out of such a franchise and character is what really makes me so excited for this.

Like even aside the narrative strengths of the first one, who ever thought that God of War - sex minigame, endless yelling, head ripping God of War - could even attempt this kind of shift and narrative ambition

Bitanator

This game is going to be insane, the stuff they were able to pull off on the PS3 were mind blowing, we are in for something else.

Oh shiiiit. That interview just added more fuel to this everlasting hype fire.

"God Of War |OT| Smoke and mirrors" it's a great name. Or "God Of War |OT| You know Shog we really are smoke and mirrors".

Vasili2K38

That he can see such potential out of such a franchise and character is what really makes me so excited for this.

Like even aside the narrative strengths of the first one, who ever thought that God of War - sex minigame, endless yelling, head ripping God of War - could even attempt this kind of shift and narrative ambition

Yep, I have to say that after enjoying a lot the original games (including the PSP ones), I had already wrapped up this saga. Then seeing how we have a new GoW, but with all those changes and tonal shifts, its :O.

velociraptor

Oh wow - so this game is set hundreds of years after GOW3?

I wonder how they're going to bridge the gap as far as story is concerned between the two games.

I'm very intrigued.

Top Bottom