• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Launches Early 2018 (PS4)

Laplasakos

Let's hope not. I want them to fill us in whatever happened in between in this game. I do not want to see another game with Kratos.

I really can't understand people who say that they don't want God of War with Kratos. It's like saying they don't want a Mario game with Mario in it. If they remove Kratos they might as well kill the franchise. You can't really appreciate the God of War games if you don't like Kratos considering that his character not only drives the gameplay but also the story.

velociraptor

I really can't understand people who say that they don't want God of War with Kratos. It's like saying they don't want a Mario game with Mario in it. If they remove Kratos they might as well kill the franchise. You can't really appreciate the God of War games if you don't like Kratos considering that his character not only drives the gameplay but also the story.
I like Kratos, but we've seen far too many games with him as the protagonist.

I'd be fine if the next God of War game is Kratos' son but all grown up.

Question GAF........In the trailer Kratos looks at a vase with an image of old Kratos:

kratos_zpsen2f8gjy.jpg

Then you hear in the trailer someone telling him he is a long way from home.

Is this a full reboot? Or did somehow greek mythology Kratos get sent here?

Mosse

Neo Member
Question GAF........In the trailer Kratos looks at a vase with an image of old Kratos:

Then you hear in the trailer someone telling him he is a long way from home.

Is this a full reboot? Or did somehow greek mythology Kratos get sent here?

It's the same Kratos. The game is set many years after gow3

Mubrik

i dont know if its been discussed to death but there's a helio's style head in the trailer,
hints that a lot of brutality from previous game might still remain

VMtGDIU

link is good but the image isn't showing up for some reason

i dont know if its been discussed to death but there's a helio's style head in the trailer,
hints that a lot of brutality from previous game might still remain

VMtGDIU

link is good but the image isn't showing up for some reason
One would only need to see the video they've released to see that the brutality is very much still there. To me it looks more brutal because of the way the camera is following the action.

Mubrik

They're still rendering some internal organs for beasts you can split open.

06_13_draugrCSkill.png

wooow.
i'm getting hyped again, so good.

if anyone could make a gif of the combo with his son at 2:17.
the camera angle makes the combat looks soooo good and visceral.

i really have no problem with the camera angle some people are having and as someone who has played GOW 1-3 even the psp version except gow ascension i am very excited for the story here.
and again i really think the camera angle gives them flexibility, they could draw it back a bit when fighting against multiple enemies (cant recall i think like 10 to 20 enemies on screen?), and also pull it close when fighting against a single strong enemy.
i mean come on, these are the guys that made GOW 1-3 and you couldn't even move the camera! and yet it was perfectly fine, i think its fair to trust em on this one.

i think the only thing that might suffer might be the speed/pacing (not sure how to word it) there's this speed in GOW games like during traversal and such where you could just get shit done quickly and stuff (might be cause of the one take vision barlog has) but not enough of the game has been shown so i wont judge yet.

so good.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Do you guys think the Axe+shield is the only weapon in the game or will we get more ?

Axe looks cool and all but really slow, I prefer faster weapons with quicker mobility options in action games personally.

fatherKratos

Neo Member

+1, can't imagine God of War without him or would not be much interested in something like GOW: The Lost Legacy(+ I love my avatar :))

borges

Banned
For me, God of war is BY FAAAR the best Playstation exclusive. Nothing comes even close. This games is going to be a masterpiece.

manfestival

here is to hoping that they dont try to make him too likable. I loved the old kratos cause he was a huge douchebag and catering to the whiners aint the way to go

I assume the kid doesn't know that Kratos killed his previous family

I can see that being a big reveal in the story where Loki spouts it out, causing a friction between Kratos and Atreus

Shin-Ra

Facially it actually looks like Nu-Kratos, which is a good start not always taken for granted.

I don't know how well NECA's pre-production samples usually compare to the final product, or even what price range they're in, though.

FelipeMGM

Has this been shared before?

Cory talking how he already has the vision for multiple games in this new GoW saga:

Q - ''The way you talk about Kratos now, it's like the beginning of something. And clearly, the work that's gone into this game, to create such a bold new chapter for the character, presumably this can't be a one-shot deal for you and the game?''

CORY - ''For me, I am just trying to get this game done. But I will say that when I chose this story, I had chosen it because I already outlined and mapped out stories for multiple games. I have an arc in my head that goes well beyond this game and everything that we are doing in God of War, to me, is very much building towards that.

Like, you see the second God of War game and it ends with Kratos going up to Olympus. Everybody said that it was the stupidest decision like why are you doing this, nobody wants a cliffhanger ending. But I was like, whatever, this is awesome. This is telling people more to come, this is great.

And with this game, I think people know that we're going to be here for a while. Me personally, I know I've got a couple more of these in me.''

taken from: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gam...og-Interview-Kratos-Atreus-future-games-Norse

Do you guys think the Axe+shield is the only weapon in the game or will we get more ?

Axe looks cool and all but really slow, I prefer faster weapons with quicker mobility options in action games personally.

I'd guess we'll get some more weapons in the game eventually.

I know this is a big departure from the past games, but they've all had other weapons that you get at certain points of the story.

Doing a quick Google of Norse weapons they don't seem to have a huge amount of variety, but I could see getting to use dual swords (fast weapon), or a mace (slow weapon) at some point.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Man, I really hope he sticks around after this game. Don't want some art director coming in and taking helms for the next game. This should, in every sense of the word, be Cory's franchise now moving forward.

One aspect that I'm excited about this game, that hasn't been talked about that much is the potential for the story

It's being written by Richard Gaubert and Matt Sophos, these guys wrote Lost Planet 3 which had one of the best narratives of last gen, and Gaubert specifically wrote the story Anachronox

I think the story will be amazing

Man, I really hope he sticks around after this game. Don't want some art director coming in and taking helms for the next game. This should, in every sense of the word, be Cory's franchise now moving forward.

Well, thats the thing. It would have been if he hadn't dipped partway into the development of III.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
Has this been shared before?

Cory talking how he already the vision for multiple games in this new GoW saga

I'm good with this, but also hoping that it will not be dragged to the point where Ascension 2 happens.
Regarding the decision of cliffhanger ending for GOW 2, well, we'll never know how many PS3s were sold bcoz of that :)

It needs it's own thread because it's a rather lengthily interview, here's the actual article.
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gam...og-Interview-Kratos-Atreus-future-games-Norse

Someone should make it after reading through everything and fine some good material for the OP.

Thanks for posting this interview.
This part stuck out to me quite a bit:

For me, I think it’s interesting to take this guy who is dark and very much the iconic representation of the anti-hero and then in some ways treat it like okay what would it be like if he wanted to change.

How difficult would it be for him just to have a moment, a single moment in which he went like there I can feel something.

The example I would give is Wilson Fisk, in Daredevil season one. Now, King Pin is not a character you would think, if he had relationship troubles I’d be bummed for him. But honestly, when I watched season one of Daredevil I felt for Fisk. I related to him a little bit. Obviously, they make him really dark in the end and it’s really bad where he goes, but that sort of interpretation, there is some vulnerability there that is just unheard of for the character.

Again, some people will say ‘oh you’ve changed King Pin’ but it’s like no man human beings are complicated, very complicated and nobody is ever just one thing

If Cory can fuse Kratos patented rage with the right amount of willingness to change on Kratos part for his son, we seriously could be getting an awesome narrative out of this.

Also good on Cory watching DD haha

Top Bottom