• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War new info: Hidden questlines, magic, importance of runes in the game etc.

vivekTO

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK!!! This is depressing.

God of war had its issue but the combat was not one of them.

later in that gif , three of them start charging towards him, so maybe they are just mesmerized by the Dad-son combo at that time, with there bro jugling in front of them :p

Hoo-doo

Banned
Fucking amazing that they are overhauling this franchise to be fresh.

If this were to be just another third person hack and slash similar to the last three, I wouldn't have been interested. Get creative, folks.

Loudninja

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUK!!! This is depressing.

God of war had its issue but the combat was not one of them.
Don’t worry about the sedate, weighty pace of the slaying seen in the E3 2016 demo. This is not Dark Souls: Odin Edition. Kratos can still slice, dice, hack and wreck with the best of them. His personal reach might no longer match that of his old Blades of Chaos days (though there’s good reason for his switch to an axe), but in the demo I saw today he was clearly as fast, ferocious, fearsome and flowing as he was back in Greece. His attacks have more direct, heavy impact nowadays, but his crowd-control efficiency remains supreme. Fear not. When you want to spill blood, it will be spilled. And when you need to deal with threats from further afield, hey, you’ve got a son with a bow.
http://www.gamesradar.com/7-things-...-original-trilogy-links-and-the-zelda-factor/

I don't like were they going with the combat at all. Why on earth enemies around him are not attacking here?

Kratos is too scary.

It's hard to judge something like that only looking at those brief clips but I hope the game doesn't follow that route where it's only one or two enemies attacking you at the same time. That would be garbage.

Hopefully we will have some lenghty gameplay demos on PGW/PSX so we can learn more stuff about that.

k2y1qna4cwfidagzj2ky.gif

I don't like were they going with the combat at all. Why on earth enemies around him are not attacking here?

And please, please for love of God PLEASE don't turn this game to fucking RPG with side quests. Can we please get good old fashion action game here?

I mean, we don't know. Could be for trailer purposes, a tutorial or it's those enemies behaviour.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If anything, as a long time fan, everything I've heard makes it sounds like a return to form of the first game than any of the other games in the franchise. Especially with the attempt at doing an actually decent narrative rather than just using the story as an excuse for crazier spectacle and insane slaughter

I'd argue that the first God of War felt fresh and different because it took the DNA of the character action hack n slash, cut out the fat to make it simpler yet satisfying, and integrated it into a tragic story with a surprising amount of puzzles and sense of adventure rather than just a series of combat arenas

This God of War sounds like it's doing the same but for the God of War series itself
No, no. What I like about God of War is how bunch of enemies both big and small attacking me at same time. In harder difficulty you need to choose which enemies u need take out first. The combat might not have been as deep as DMC or Bayonetta but it was intense. This other hand looks similar to Hellbalde combat and that not what I want out God of War game.

The animations and footage we've seen, the combat looks like it has more weight and brutality behind it than any of the past games.

No, no. What I like about God of War is how bunch of enemies both big and small attacking me at same time. In harder difficulty you need to choose which enemies u need take out first. The combat might not have been as deep as DMC or Bayonetta but it was intense. This other hand looks similar to Hellbalde combat and that not what I want out God of War game.
We've already seen Kratos fighting groups with big and small mixed in trailers, with crowd control attacks and whatnot

I'm glad they are changing things up. I loved the original GoW series but by Ascension, the loop had worn thin. Glad they are being proactive rather than continuing to drag the series into the ground.

k2y1qna4cwfidagzj2ky.gif

And please, please for love of God PLEASE don't turn this game to fucking RPG with side quests. Can we please get good old fashion action game here?

This combat looks better than anything in the past games tbh.

Fighting groups, crowd control, other enemies moving into attack while you're fighting.

BEcKMZG.gif

nrHB6iy.gif

Magic and ranged attacks to juggle enemies, stun them, and freeze them

MaN3Hur.gif

Danjin44

I'm hoping I'm wrong because the art direction in this looking fucking fantastic. But I want aggressive enemies out of my hack and slash games. Again my worry is the camera being that close to Kratos we migh not get crowd of giant enemies and small enemies attacking you.

I'm hoping I'm wrong because the art direction in this looking fucking fantastic. But I want aggressive enemies out of my hack and slash games. Again my worry is the camera being that close to Kratos we migh not get crowd of giant enemies and small one attacking you.
I believe the camera dynamically zooms in or out depending on how many enemies you're fighting. It's never just locked in close behind Kratos, you can see the different camera zooms in gifs and footage

De_Legend

Banned
I'm glad they are changing things up. I loved the original GoW series but by Ascension, the loop had worn thin. Glad they are being proactive rather than continuing to drag the series into the ground.

Yup, people would shit on it even more if it was an ascension 2.0 or whatever. The old style became stale, time to shake things up and it looks like it's exactly what they did.

Alo0oy

Banned
They meant filler in as much as the combat was mechanically simple and was used with less invention than puzzles and environmental stuff. No one is saying they should go the other way, but considering how rudimentary the combat remained there's no harm in Barlog and Co aiming to improve all aspects of the series rather than sit on the laurels of one.

GoW combat was only simple when compared to games like DMC and Bayonetta, it was far more complex and technical than any other game you can think of, and it's not even close.

They just need to confirm that the new GoW still has combos, juggling enemies...etc.

I'm hoping I'm wrong because the art direction in this looking fucking fantastic. But I want aggressive enemies out of my hack and slash games. Again my worry is the camera being that close to Kratos we migh not get crowd of giant enemies and small enemies attacking you.

The camera is close to you in Soulsborne as well and combat in that is way more intense than any GoW.

The camera is close to you in Soulsborne and combat in that is way more intense in that than any GoW.
Completely different kinds of combat and intensity though, not really comparable IMO

GoW combat was only simple when compared to games like DMC and Bayonetta, it was far more complex and technical than any other game you can think of, and it's not even close.

They just need to confirm that the new GoW still has combos, juggling enemies...etc.
We've seen combos and juggles in the trailers

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
How many times do i have to tell you guys to trust in Cory Barlog? he made the best God of War game yet (GoW2) and this new God of War will even surpass that.

Have faith in this man.

cory-barlog.jpg

Danjin44

The camera is close to you in Soulsborne and combat in that is way more intense in that than any GoW.
I know but also Dark Souls is not hack & slash game and I don't want GOW plays like Souls games.

I'm hoping to see long demo of this game so I can see how the combat really plays out.

Completely different kinds of combat and intensity though, not really comparable

Yeah, but I was replying to an opinion about the camera. A camera closer to the main character doesn't automatically imply less intense combat. If anything, attacks look to have more weight behind them.

I'm sure more stuff will be shown later this year.

I get that people really loved the combat system of the old games but I don't have a problem that the team switched things up.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I want to see more than one second of juggling, something along the lines of the Nemesis Whip.

I for one like that they want to change things up and not make another hack & slash game where you can stay in the air for minutes and do all kind of crazy, unrealistic shit.

I really like the new combat system that adds more weight to the character and makes it more believable.

I for one like that they want to change things up and not make another hack & slash game where you can stay in the air for minutes and do all kind of crazy, unrealistic shit.

I really like the new combat system that adds more weight to the character and makes it more believable.

Yeah, the Blades of Chaos lacked weight. If felt like you were slashing paper.

theWB27

Not to mention it felt like Kratos was stronger than anyone you'd face. It'd be nice to see Kratos struggle or look like he's actually putting strength behind the attacks. When's the last time Kratos actually had an uphill battle?

You have nothing to worry about.

reKon

Banned
The killing of grunt type enemies in GoW reminded me of mowing down infantry in CoD games. Nothing too exciting there.

Drencrom

This. Having Kratos being more weighty and intimate combat-wise will be a nice change of pace after 6 games.

It's all sounding great so far. I love the Norse mythology setting and the changes they've made to make it fresh / different to the old games. Sounds like they are putting a lot of effort into building this new world and lore, which all sounds amazing. It's gonna be really epic and the graphics are just insane.

I loved the old games but after 6 games, it's good to see them going another direction and taking risks, not making just another "same old" sequel.

Nere

If anything, as a long time fan, everything I've heard makes it sound like a return to form of the first game than any of the other games in the franchise. Especially with the attempt at doing an actually decent narrative rather than just using the story as an excuse for crazier spectacle and insane slaughter

I'd argue that the first God of War felt fresh and different because it took the DNA of the character action hack n slash, cut out the fat to make it simpler yet satisfying, and integrated it into a tragic story with a surprising amount of puzzles and sense of adventure rather than just a series of combat arenas

This God of War sounds like it's doing the same thing that the first did for the genre but for the God of War series itself

Hope you are right but so far I am not feeling it from what I have seen, I will still give it a chance, I hope it is as good as the original.

If anything, as a long time fan, everything I've heard makes it sound like a return to form of the first game than any of the other games in the franchise. Especially with the attempt at doing an actually decent narrative rather than just using the story as an excuse for crazier spectacle and insane slaughter

This God of War sounds like it's doing the same thing that the first did for the genre but for the God of War series itself

Agree. The first gow it's still my favourite in the series exactly because of the sense of adventure.

I feel I'm on my own island where I really enjoyed the original GOW combat and think this looks fun as well. The only thing I want is more combat video so I can get a better idea of it.

You have nothing to worry about.

When were you able to play it? No need to give details about the gameplay itself if you're unable, but I haven't found many hands-on impressions yet. =\

How many times do i have to tell you guys to trust in Cory Barlog? he made the best God of War game yet (GoW2) and this new God of War will even surpass that.

Have faith in this man.

cory-barlog.jpg

GoW 2 was still entirely based on Jaffe's design of the first game though, and Jaffe was even involved in Gow 2. This is Barlog's first shot at doing something basically from the ground up where he's calling most of the shots. I have the utmost faith in him and SSM though. Making this game has aged him a good deal, he looks tired as fuck these days haha.

Top Bottom