• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War new info: Hidden questlines, magic, importance of runes in the game etc.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I thought someone before told you not to worry :p

I mean its not Norsk mythology. 100% viking metal powered, all fantasy, little realism

Did he played a demo I don't know about?

The reason why the entire concept of "realism" scares me is that there was this article I saw dont remember where, Sucker Punch talked about their reason why the add less enemy variety in InFAMOUS Second Son and their reason was to make their world more believable cause unlike their last game Second son take place in real world.

Lokimaru

Kratos should be dual wielding axes, seeing him with only one makes him look like a pissed off Lumberjack. I now strangely want a Paul Bunyan game. How come no ones made a games about American folklore heroes like Pecos Bill, Johnny Appleseed and John Henry?

Man can you imagine Kratos being immortal and kicking ass throughout history like Logan at the start of X-men Origins: Wolverine? I mean he still is the God of War and War still happens.

Danjin44

Pretty much. Just like The Lost Legacy recently. And perhaps even U4. But people calling it a bad game are just plain wrong.

To me Ascension's combat was even better than GOW3 but the story was pure garbage. It was very clear the only reason Ascension exists is to bring the MP to GOW series.

Yeah he did play the game for a bit apparently

Holy shit!!! was this close door demo or something?

J-Skee

Lol I don't blame him. Every time I see Barlog's name I see this scene

tumblr_opxtci9mHA1siv1sto7_r1_400.gif

Whoa, what's this?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I understand people might have concerns about the changes but Cory Barlog is directing this, he made the best God of War game so far.

I believe in Cory Barlog.

To me Ascension's combat was even better than GOW3 but the story was pure garbage. It was very clear the only reason Ascension exists is to bring the MP to GOW series.

Pointless? Yes. Garbage? No. You want to talk garbage story? God of War 2, helmed by Corey Barlog. Going back in time to the moment Zeus betrayed Kratos instead of going back in time to save his family? Makes a lot of sense.

Banned
Oh my... This gif! lol the way his son is on the enemy when he hits him up then flips around to be on top and avoiding Kratos attaks then jumps off to fire an arrow while Kratos is still attacking the baddy is Fckn awesome lol

How. The Heck. Did I miss that? I've seen the video and gif so many times, never saw kratos son on the enemy. That is awesome haha

Luigiv

k2y1qna4cwfidagzj2ky.gif

I don't like were they going with the combat at all. Why on earth enemies around him are not attacking here?

And please, please for love of God PLEASE don't turn this game to fucking RPG with side quests. Can we please get good old fashion action game here?
Why the hell is Kratos facing the camera after every swing? That's ridiculous. If the enemies weren't so polite, he get murdered in an instant, leaving himself so open.

Danjin44

Pointless? Yes. Garbage? No. You want to talk garbage story? God of War 2, helmed by Corey Barlog. Going back in time to the moment Zeus betrayed Kratos instead of going back in time to save his family? Makes a lot of sense.

I dont disagree with about GOW 2. It was very clear GOW was never meant to have sequels. What I like about Kratos was as much as he blame the gods for death of his family, at end of the day he was the one willing sell his soul in order save his own life. But later games they try make him a victim and anti hero. To me Kratos was coward, he was afraid of dying in battle even though he was commander of Spartan army and that to me made him more human.

If anything, as a long time fan, everything I've heard makes it sound like a return to form of the first game than any of the other games in the franchise. Especially with the attempt at doing an actually decent narrative rather than just using the story as an excuse for crazier spectacle and insane slaughter

I'd argue that the first God of War felt fresh and different because it took the DNA of the character action hack n slash, cut out the fat to make it simpler yet satisfying, and integrated it into a tragic story with a surprising amount of puzzles and sense of adventure rather than just a series of combat arenas

This God of War sounds like it's doing the same thing that the first did for the genre but for the God of War series itself

This. Everything sounds like they are reinventing the series. Its a step in the right direction. First game was almost genre defining and trend setting, they are looking to do the same with this. It might disappoint some hardcore fans but I am sure the end product will please everyone. So far it looks and sounds really good. Can't wait.

fatherKratos

Neo Member
Getting more hyped with every new information about the game.
Well thats it....media blackout for me. Can someone please message me the release date whenever its revealed..lol.

I mean you can only make (and play) the same game so many times. Or would everything about the new one feel okay if the setting was Greece ?

It was time for it to reinvent itself
Yeah, Halo used to be my favorite franchise, but after 3 I stopped caring about the story, and by Reach I was tired of the same gameplay loop. 4's addition of new enemies didn't do anything for me (they weren't that fun to fight) since there were still plenty of the old enemies to fight, and 5's team stuff and stuff like vaulting and boosting didn't do anything for me either.

I love the GOW games, and I decided to do a replay of the whole series and then conclude with Ascension (which I'd only played 30 minutes or so). I think I made it through 1, 2, and one of the PSP ones before I got tired of them (and the constant STRONG controller rumble in those games were starting to cause me physical pain).

The funny thing is, I jumped to Ascension to give it a shot, but the the changes they made to the combat made me like it less because it was different from what I was used to, haha (similar to how the slight tweak in attack speed and enemy attacks in Arkham Origins made me hate combat that I usually love). It's been years since I've played any GOW games, so I have been wanting to go back and give Ascension at least a few hours to see if it clicks with me.

Regardless, I am happy they're doing such a large departure for this game. GOW 1 is still my favorite in the series because it was such a fresh new game when it released. Can't wait to see if this game manage to capture that again.
I really need to sit down one day & watch those films.
I just watched them (the theatrical versions) with my girlfriend recently (the millionth time for me, but the first time she's seen them) and she loved them. They hold up amazingly well, they really don't make many movies like them anymore.

Then we watched the Hobbit trilogy... They were better than I remembered from seeing them in theater (maybe because we watched the extended editions), but they lack a lot of the craft of the LOTR trilogy and are filled with tons of lifeless, boring, CG fluff.

One of the best video games trailers ever to me now. It's over 5 minutes in length and I still don't have a sense of the narrative or characters and I'm just extremely intrigued and wanting more.

I love that these threads keep popping up with new info on the game but it's honestly just making the wait for it excruciating.

Totally agree. It's a fantastic trailer.

DKHF

Can we get a release date already?
I think we will this month, so, soon. Uncharted 4 got its original March release date announced in early September (and Horizon's date was announced before E3 but that's a new IP). If not this month then I think next month.

I think we will this month, so, soon. Uncharted 4 got its original March release date announced in early September (and Horizon's date was announced before E3 but that's a new IP). If not this month then I think next month.

I am still positive that SSM would make this game happen on March 2018 just as they did with past console releases. Been a diehard fan of the series since 2005!

I think they'll probably announce the inevitable March release date at the VGA's this year.

DKHF

I think they'll probably announce the inevitable March release date at the VGA's this year.
That seems a bit too close to the date to me if it's March like most assume, and they would most likely announce it at PSX a day later rather than the game awards if they're announcing it in December. I think for such a big game they will want to announce it earlier (September or October) like they usually do for bigger games.

Strike

Sounds like they're adding some real depth to the game. After 6 entries (7 if you count the cell phone game) any change is welcome and no one has proven more capable of bring that change more than Cory Barlog.

Top Bottom