• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War new info: Hidden questlines, magic, importance of runes in the game etc.

This is not what a god of war must be...

This is like UnchartedXGod of war , this is so disappointing for me...
Sounds more like Zelda God of War to me, which is the original inspiration for the entire series straight from the creator David Jaffe.

So yeah...I don't see how they are going for more linear play and set pieces like Uncharted at all. What are you talking about?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I downloaded GoW3 remastered the other day and replayed it...I'm glad they are really changing things up because it's p boring at this point.

This game sounds amazing, I keep telling myself to get a ps4 pro. Hopefully someone gifts me one for the holidays. I knew I should of put it on my wedding registry last year.

I never player 1 and 2 and got 3, and really enjoyed the opening. Sadly after 4 hours or so, I just lost interest. But the mythology in this one has me soo intrigued. Learned about Greek mythology in school and watched Kevin Sorbo's Herclues while growing up, but never really saw and got into Norse mythology.

After the announcement of Too Human, my exposure to it grew. I think it's a fascinating mythology and the game using it as it's back drop, pure genius.

I want this game!!!

Shin

Banned
Game is shaping up nicely, one thing I would have liked is if they add a skin selection for Atreus (with/without hair).
Since that's a mixed bag at the moment, could be a free DLC or unlocked after beating the game.

Brix

I downloaded GoW3 remastered the other day and replayed it...I'm glad they are really changing things up because it's p boring at this point.

Agreed, I can't deal with the button mashing QTE's. There was like 10 of them in the first 15 minutes.

The easiest, most boring thing they could have done was to just do another like 1, 2, 3, Ascension, CoO, GoS. What they're doing will keep this series alive and thriving, and something it really needed.

You can name tons of franchises that have done more to evolve and keep their series fresh than God of War have ever done.

Went back to the E3 gameplay video from last year to look for more "secrets" that Cory said in the interview I just listened too and I don't know if this has been posted yet but I notice something about that storm in the end of the trailer. The clouds were moving pretty fast and going in a circle. It doesn't look like a normal storm at all. Almost like it's indicating that Thor is causing that?

The clouds are moving towards the right. You can watch the video in 1080p for seeing it clearer than this gif.
giphy.gif

QL66Xcl.png

giphy.gif

3439022-tumblr_m22tex5gsw1qiiqedo1_500.gif

That's two videos now indicating Thor's presence in the game. He's likely a final boss?
TDG0M2N.png

Boke1879

GOW3 was great. But like someone said. By Ascension you can tell the formula got pretty tired. It probably had something to do with Ascension being a bit of a cash grab.

But this "reboot" of sorts has me excited. It makes GOW feel fresh.

Osukaa

Oh my... This gif! lol the way his son is on the enemy when he hits him up then flips around to be on top and avoiding Kratos attaks then jumps off to fire an arrow while Kratos is still attacking the baddy is Fckn awesome lol

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
We know Thor will be in the game i mean come on but this looks more like a statue than the real one.

Sygma

We know Thor will be in the game i mean come on but this looks more like a statue than the real one.

If anything the only story trope I'm afraid of would be a redo as far as Zeus / Odin are - or would be - concerned. Then again with a story centered around Kratos and his son, they can present something from Odin / Thor pov too

GOW3 played on hard is one of my most replayed and replayable action games. To each his/her own I suppose, but GoW 2 and 3 I can basically mainline them any time/any platform. And this is coming from someone who's played Ninja Gaiden at least 10 times (across OG, Black and Sigma).

Having said that, well overdue for some innovation.

Well of course it's a statue lol. If it is a Thor statue, I find it pretty fitting that Jörmungandr is right under it. Seeing that he wants to team up with Kratos, he probably wants him to kill Thor.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Well of course it's a statue lol. If it is a Thor statue, I find it pretty fitting that Jörmungandr is right under it. Seeing that he wants to team up with Kratos, he probably wants him to kill Thor.

Yeah for once a huge ass monster isn't your enemy, who would have thought this is possible in a GoW game lol

Considering Norse gods can die (and have been been killed in their stories, well at least Baldur) and Thor is destined to kill Jörmungandr during Ragnarok, Jörmungandr wanting a legendary god-killer to help change its fate would make sense in a God of War story

I always thought that Kratos' past as god-killer, and not just that but a one-man pantheon destroyer, would make for interesting narrative material if you placed him in another mythology. How would other pantheons react to such a figure? Would they fear or venerate him? Manipulate him to their own ends, judge him for his past actions, or court him to join their ranks? Leave him alone and hope he doesn't bother them? You know a figure like Loki would love to use Kratos.

Considering Norse gods can die (and have been been killed in their stories, well at least Baldur) and Thor is destined to kill Jörmungandr during Ragnarok, Jörmungandr wanting a legendary god-killer to help change its fate would make sense in a God of War story

I always thought that Kratos' past as god-killer, and not just that but a one-man pantheon destroyer, would make for interesting narrative material if you placed him in another mythology. How would other pantheons react to such a figure? Would they fear or venerate him? Manipulate him to their own ends, judge him for his past actions, or court him to join their ranks? Leave him alone and hope he doesn't bother them? You know a figure like Loki would love to use Kratos.

I have this strange feeling that Loki will try to kill Kratos son. He could very well try to trick Kratos into killing Atreus to make him relive his hunted past.

Bahorel

Well I am sorry but as a long time GoW fan it really doesn't feel much like a GoW game except Kratos....

I mean you can only make (and play) the same game so many times. Or would everything about the new one feel okay if the setting was Greece ?

It was time for it to reinvent itself

Now it kinda make sense why it's just called "God of War". It's meant to be an almost reboot to the franchise while still continuing the plot of the past games.

Calling it GOW4 would be risky, even slapping a subtitle underneath would have caused some confusion.

I still think they should have went with "The God of War".

I am really excited for this fresh take on GOW. The more details and info that comes out, the more excited I get about this new direction!

Nere

I mean you can only make (and play) the same game so many times. Or would everything about the new one feel okay if the setting was Greece ?

It was time for it to reinvent itself

No I absolutely agree that a new setting was needed but I don't think it needed to be such a radical departure on gameplay as well.

Everything about this screams. This should've been a new I.P.

Exactly this, it just feels too far from the original.

theWB27

No I absolutely agree that a new setting was needed but I don't think it needed to be such a radical departure on gameplay as well.

Exactly this, it just feels too far from the original.

You going to give it a chance to win you over?

I mean the fact that you see a lot of people say "I didn't like the originals but I'm excited for this" should probably say something. What about people who DID like the originals? This doesn't look bad but it feels like if Devil May Cry turned into Dark Souls. Good but no what I would call an evolution of the originals strengths.

Also saying "this feels more realistic" does not fill me with confidence. I love crazy over the top action. I like being powerful and tearing enemies to shredds. That was my favorite part in the original games.

theWB27

Of course I will, I said it in an earlier post, I am a huge GoW fan and I am obviously keeping an eye on this. I really hope I turn out to be wrong.

Cool beans. Hope they nail it too. I think scale will be much better represented with this view too.

sense

I mean the fact that you see a lot of people say "I didn't like the originals but I'm excited for this" should probably say something. What about people who DID like the originals? This doesn't look bad but it feels like if Devil May Cry turned into Dark Souls. Good but no what I would call an evolution of the originals strengths.
There are a lot of people that liked the originals including myself and felt the need for a change as well. Going by the reception and the like dislike ratio of the trailers it seems the people that dont like the new direction are very much in the minority.

Also saying "this feels more realistic" does not fill me with confidence. I love crazy over the top action. I like being powerful and tearing enemies to shredds. That was my favorite part in the original games.
This is looking like the best thing that has ever happened to the series, and I'm saying that as someone who holds the games in very high regard. God of War 1 was the first M-rated game I ever played, so it has a special place among video games for me

It's been apparent that series has needed an evolution and reinvention like this since Ascension came out

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

You have no idea how much this scares me. I dont want lose what made GOW great for sake of going realistic. fuck.fuck,fuck,FUCK!!!!

Why all the games need to aim for realism now these days?

HardRojo

All I want is less focus on storytelling and more focus on gameplay
Focusing too much on storytelling hurts gameplay

God of War was more known for its gameplay
Not surprised it is you saying this, but a game like The Last of Us proves you can have great gameplay and a great story. Yep, TLoU has great gameplay, I won't get tired of saying it and I've explained my reasons countless times before.

theWB27

You have no idea how much this scares me. I dont want lose what made GOW great for sake of going realistic. fuck.fuck,fuck,FUCK!!!!

Seems like you're looking for a reason to freak out. Even the trailers show there is nothing realistic about this. He summoned his axe thor style...we've seen a giant sea serpent...we've seen him rip apart minions and crush another enemies head with its own weapon.

Not to mention the guy helming this title knows what makes GOW..GOW. Just really weird reaction just now.

Just try to be open minded and give this a try. Surely combat is not the only thing people like about GoW.

Some people like Kratos, the brutal action, bossbattle setpieces, the sense of adventure, scale and puzzles.

I'm sure some of those will make it through just fine in the new series. Also, this is made by the director of GoW2, which I feel have more great and unique human sized boss battle that's not just setpieces and qte. I think he knows what he's doing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Seems like you're looking for a reason to freak out. Even the trailers show there is nothing realistic about this. He summoned his axe thor style...we've seen a giant sea serpent...we've seen him rip apart minions and crush another enemies head with its own weapon.

Not to mention the guy helming this title knows what makes GOW..GOW. Just really weird reaction just now.

Im talking the combat going for less over top which personally what I like about GOW.
I played and own every GOW, Im very big fan of the series so yes I freak out if my favourite series turn in to some thing else.

Again all I have is these trailers and base on these trailer Im starting to get worried. Maybe later on new gameplay trailer put my worry at ease.

You guys are worried about how a video game MIGHT turn out?

Man...we got some first class citizen problems up in here lol.

All signs point to this being amazing, I don't think Cory has really done anything bad with the franchise so far.

I hope they dont turn GoW into angry daddy issues simulator.
You know the part in the demo where Kratos got angry at the kid and you see the rage meter show up during cutscene and Kratos calm himself down?

That's actually qte minigame. You have to actively press button to try surpress your anger. If you didn't do anything, the cutscene will proceed differently with you beating up your kid for fucking up.

At the end of the game, there will be 2 ending depending on how you treat the kid throughout the game.

I think I'm really turning around on this game. I was one of the people worried about the changes to the combat mostly but from what has been shown so far it really looks excellent in many ways including the combat.

Should have trusted Santa Monica and Barlog from the beginning!

Sygma

I thought someone before told you not to worry :p

I mean its Norsk mythology. 100% viking metal powered, all fantasy, little realism. The only thing you ll be able to relate to will be the relationship between Kratos and his son

GOW3 was great. But like someone said. By Ascension you can tell the formula got pretty tired. It probably had something to do with Ascension being a bit of a cash grab.

But this "reboot" of sorts has me excited. It makes GOW feel fresh.

I don't know about cashgrab. They spent three years on it, and tried to do something different with the addition of multiplayer. And the campaign has it's moments as well.

Top Bottom