• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Sequel and Gran Turismo 7 are Cross Generation Titles

People are way too hyped up on this idea that games are going to somehow dramatically change if they are next-gen only.
But graphically they will. Gameplay wise, technically they can but 99% of the developers and publishers will travel the known road. It’s risky for business to try new things, unfortunately...

MonarchJT

Banned
and obviously whoever buys the PS4 version will pay for the PS5 version....ala spiderman ahahsh

Last edited:

geary

Cory right now....

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

KAL2006

Banned
Many games spread their news bullet strategically to have more news highlights spread across their marketing period. If they announce everything day one people and gaming media wouldn't talk about the game again. On top of that, sometimes people don't announce platforms at the same time they announce the game because they aren't 100%.

In this case, games were announced like a year or a year and half before release. At that point, games still aren't optimized, and being big ass AAA, maybe back then they weren't sure if were going to be able to make these games run properly on base PS4. So maybe now, closer to release they know the game will run properly on base PS4 so announced that version. See Cyberpunk to know why this is better than to announce as crossgen before making sure you can run the game properly there.

Seems like alot of Sony shilling here and Sony defenders and apologists. Check my post history and you would know I'm a PlayStation guy but you cannot deny this is very misleading.

Based on 3 reasons
- Historically Sony has never released cross gen games for their heavy hitters after year 2 of their next gen console release

- The we believe in generations marketing bulkshit and having Cerny doing a hour presentation of the benefits of next gen hardware for game design. Yeah you can say technically they did release some next gen only games but it was B Tier games or just a remake. Not the heavy hitters

- Not stating these heavy hitters are for PS4 from the get go. So many people will know we won't get a true next gen only God of War or Gran Turismo or Horizon until 2026-2029. Games take a long time to make and Sony don't have a infinite amount of studios so to realise that we won't get true next gen game design from a studio from them in a while is disappointing, this has never happened with previous gens.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
But graphically they will. Gameplay wise, technically they can but 99% of the developers and publishers will travel the known road. It’s risky for business to try new things, unfortunately...
That's my point... game design/gameplay is not going to suddenly dramatically shift.

And graphics can be awesome with cross gen.

Weren't we all just amazed at Horizon footage?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

Cross gen games were coming out years into last gen and the gen before.

People on the internet just like to throw shit fits over everything.
Yeah, I guess you can write off any first-world problems and not lose sleep. Still, it doesn't change the fact that it's a very bad look for Sony. I'm not throwing a shit fit but I've lost some respect for the company, that's for sure.

Delaying a game is perfectly okay. But using the game as a trump card during vital next-gen presentations, implying it is coming in 2021 and letting everyone think it was next-gen....it's too much and it doesn't make for a good relationship between customer and supplier.

soulbait

I get such a kick out of watching fanboys lose their shit over this kind of stuff.

Ya'll, calm down. It is going to be okay. The games will still be fun and a good form of escapism. You know, the actual reason why we play games?

MaDBrute

Banned
A lot of open-world games play no different than GTA3, a PS2 game. I don't think game design will be impacted in any meaningful way. This isn't like going from the SNES to the PS1, where we had a shift from 2D to 3D. The SSDs in the PS5 and Series consoles just allow quicker loading. R&C has used that to allow for world-hopping. I don't know if anyone has actually described how the SSDs can help a game like HFW, much less GOW and GT7, outside of loading more data.

GT7, in particular is almost literally on rails. All the SSD could possibly do to help that game is loading more data into memory. There's not much of anything new that's going to be added to the racing genre by an SSD. This is a really weird talking point. This forum is often completely detached from reality. I doubt casuals watched the HFW videos and were concerned about the PS4 holding back its visuals. Obsessing over insignificant shit is kinda what this forum does.
Out of 5 Gbs ram on ps4 2,5Gbs(depends on game) is used for next level/area, when you take an elevator or open a door that takes 5sec new level is loading from ram, that data was loaded into ram from hdd at 42Mbs pr sec. Only 2,5Gbs ram is used for current area, assets, AI, sound. Ps5/SX dosent need to reserve half their Ram for that, they can load the data into ram within seconds. We can now probably use 90% of ram for current area.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
How have you been deceived? Did you sell your PS4? Or buy a PS5 too soon? I am not seeing the bad part here.

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

No where in the above bold text do I see "We believe in ending console lifecycle/video game development once a new platform has be introduced"

This.

People hear what they want to hear.

Roxkis_ii

Wow, you mean to tell me a company is doing what best for its profits?? Get out of here! Who would have thought?

As a poor person still playing on Ps4, I glad I still have stuff to look forward to. To anyone upset about this news...

Nanny nanny boo boo.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
They said the transition would be around 2 years, and now they extended it to 3 due to covid. I can see the logic in that. They can not manufacture quickly enough to make it worthwhile to make the transition in the original strategy, it’s called adapting to new circumstances and they do it very good. Sure it’d be nice if the transition would be over after the original planned 2 years but lets be realistic here, the company only exists if it makes money and this is the way to do it.
It's not "adapting to circumstances" when they clearly knew all along that the game was a cross-gen 2022 title. That's the thing.

Interfectum

I get such a kick out of watching fanboys lose their shit over this kind of stuff.

Ya'll, calm down. It is going to be okay. The games will still be fun and a good form of escapism. You know, the actual reason why we play games?
One can use game forums for passionate debate and still have fun and play games.

That's my point... game design/gameplay is not going to suddenly dramatically shift.

And graphics can be awesome with cross gen.

Weren't we all just amazed at Horizon footage?
I think we all can agree Horizon looks amazing and it will use the next gen hardware features from the game pad to 3D audio so there’s actually more to the cross gen here than you would think initially. Before cross gen games were only better graphics, now it’s better everything, except for the gameplay part.

KAL2006

Banned
I don't really understand why anyone would demand or be upset by a lack of platform mention, GT7 looks good though? So that's another thing I don't really get. Resident Evil Village is available on PS4/PS5/XB1/XSS/XSX and it some how manages to look better and load tons quicker on the newer hardware as opposed to the older hardware. But to answer your question, I am not sure as to why they would do that? Probably to build hype around a new platform? My question to you is, did they specifically state elsewhere that God Of War or GT7 would be PS5 exclusives never to come to PS4?

I see a lot of speculation that it would only be on PS5 and nothing else, but I haven't seen one article that stated otherwise, or an official statement from Sony.

If I see a game, like HFW and I think "Wow, that looks really good" that sorta checks all the boxes for me? Why would anyone be bummed about them showing a little love for PS4? 110+ million install base is really hard to walk away from.

Someone on this very thread posted a screenshot of Gran Turismo 7 trailer which states PS5 exclusive. And yes these games look nice but they are based on PS4 hardware. Your imagination cannot tell you how a true PS5 only AAA heavy bitter would look like with game design around CPU and SSD of PS5. Horizon I can already see the leaves looking static, no crazy flying mounts where you can rapidly travel around the map etc. I wanted to see something that cannot be done on PS4 not just a PS4 Pro 2.

McCarth

Oh wow, this has really got out of hand! Some of you love to worry, for whatever reason.

I guess Sony already showing Horizon and causing an outlet like DF to honestly not understand how they could translate what was shown to the PS4 means nothing?

Why not just wait to see how the damn games look?

It's not "adapting to circumstances" when they clearly knew all along that the game was a cross-gen 2022 title. That's the thing.
Or maybe it is, they did not expect covid to happen and they manufacture less ps5’s than expected, they were initially planning to create 11 million of them for November, its half a year later now and 7,8 are manufactured so it makes sense to cross gen some more games than maybe initially planned. They’d expected to sell 15 million ps5’s by March. Of course if you originally expect more than double numbers but you can simply not manufacture enough, you change strategy.

Jennifer Lopez Business GIF by American Idol

Last edited:

soulbait

One can use game forums for passionate debate and still have fun and play games.
I agree about a good debate. No issue there. As long as actual thoughtful insights and facts are used to back up the opinions being shared.

But seeing everyone whine and demand Jim to be fired over this, is just hilarious to me.

Zannrebel

The fact that Sony said we believe in generations and slid in PS4 afterwards is quite deceiving. Horizon everyone assumed it was PS5 only. Then on the PSBlog it stated PS4. God of War and Gran Turismo 7 Sony didn't say anything. If all these games were cross gen why not just reveal platforms from the get go, then atleast some people who are after those games can delay their PS5 purchase when it gets cheaper as they know they got a ton of games coming to PS4 also.
GT7 was advertised and confirmed as a ps5 exclusive. Now its not.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Eh, whatever dude. Just make the games awesome. Looking at Horizon Forbidden West, I'm sure people are not complaining.

Someone on this very thread posted a screenshot of Gran Turismo 7 trailer which states PS5 exclusive. And yes these games look nice but they are based on PS4 hardware. Your imagination cannot tell you how a true PS5 only AAA heavy bitter would look like with game design around CPU and SSD of PS5. Horizon I can already see the leaves looking static, no crazy flying mounts where you can rapidly travel around the map etc. I wanted to see something that cannot be done on PS4 not just a PS4 Pro 2.
You’re a lucky guy, you can already enjoy Demons Souls, Returnal, Miles Morales and more, and soon Ratchet and Clank.

Dane

I want to understand what's with this faux elitism, in crossgen games, the shitty ones are always on the last generation version, not the next gen one.

I understand your concern about there not being a big enough leap, but all of those things are possible, flying mounts, etc. Has it been implemented? I don't know, I am sure we'll find out more, but they seem to of made great improvements over the original in image quality, character animation and gameplay mechanics, we've only seen 14 minutes of a carefully selected playthrough.

Are you talking about the leaves/foliage not reacting when Aloy moves through them? in that case, it seems to be limited to smaller foliage, as the tall grass moves when she moves through it.

As far as GT7:

2ryQcx1.png

That hasn't been updated yet, so the official PlayStation still says PS5, and the video has a PS5 label, more than likely he misspoke during that interview, it happens.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Or maybe it is, they did not expect covid to happen and they manufacture less ps5’s than expected, they were initially planning to create 11 million of them for November, its half a year later now and 7,8 are manufactured so it makes sense to cross gen some more games than maybe initially planned. They’d expected to sell 15 million ps5’s by March. Of course if you originally expect more than double numbers but you can simply not manufacture enough, you change strategy.

Jennifer Lopez Business GIF by American Idol

It doesn't add up. You can see that, right? If they knew it was going to be cross-gen, then they should have made that clear at their PS5 debut conference.
If the game was early enough in development that they could "adapt" and make it cross-gen, than they knew quite well it would not be out in 2021.

If they had lied on one of these fronts, you'd have an easier time writing it off, but this is blatantly ugly from Sony.

Yes, it's business. No one is questioning that. Thing is, there is good business and bad business. This may be good short term, but deceiving customers does have a long term effect.

Last edited:

Zatzuken

Yeah, I guess you can write off any first-world problems and not lose sleep. Still, it doesn't change the fact that it's a very bad look for Sony. I'm not throwing a shit fit but I've lost some respect for the company, that's for sure.

Delaying a game is perfectly okay. But using the game as a trump card during vital next-gen presentations, implying it is coming in 2021 and letting everyone think it was next-gen....it's too much and it doesn't make for a good relationship between customer and supplier.

Delaying a game is fine i agree.

The game was shown at the ps5 presentation and will be coming to the ps5.

Pretty much any game that shows a date on a logo reveal trailer ends up delayed, which as you said is fine.

You lost respect for them compared to who? this is what everyone is doing, the world has gone to shit in the last 18 months and plans for things change. The PS5 will continue to have shortages so if this allows companies to make there money back then thats fine, id rather that then they lose money just for the sake of forum dick waving.

And as for the customer supplier line the whole attempt to take down the ps3 and vita stores was a much bigger problem then this.

elliot5

I understand your concern about there not being a big enough leap, but all of those things are possible, flying mounts, etc. Has it been implemented? I don't know, I am sure we'll find out more, but they seem to of made great improvements over the original in image quality, character animation and gameplay mechanics, we've only seen 14 minutes of a carefully selected playthrough.

Are you talking about the leaves/foliage not reacting when Aloy moves through them? in that case, it seems to be limited to smaller foliage, as the tall grass moves when she moves through it.

As far as GT7:

2ryQcx1.png

That hasn't been updated yet, so the official PlayStation still says PS5, and the video has a PS5 label, more than likely he misspoke during that interview, it happens.
I just checked the announcement trailer and it just says PlayStation Exclusive at the end and not PS5 Exclusive :O

Banjo64

cumsessed
They should have done this with GT6 as well. Came out on PS3 after the PS4 launched, and left the PS4 with no GT game until Oct 2017 (4 years after launch). Can’t even say it was due to architectural differences as lots of PS3 games were ported.

Interfectum

I agree about a good debate. No issue there. As long as actual thoughtful insights and facts are used to back up the opinions being shared.

But seeing everyone whine and demand Jim to be fired over this, is just hilarious to me.
Yeah that shit is stupid. Personally I'm a bit disappointed how blurred this transition has been. Literally the biggest difference between these generations so far has been loading times. And in hindsight, both Sony and MS knew this was coming hence the massive hype for SSDs.

It is what it is. Not going to lose any sleep over it but this has been, by far, the most boring generational shift I've seen.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Delaying a game is fine i agree.

The game was shown at the ps5 presentation and will be coming to the ps5.

Pretty much any game that shows a date on a logo reveal trailer ends up delayed, which as you said is fine.

You lost respect for them compared to who? this is what everyone is doing, the world has gone to shit in the last 18 months and plans for things change. The PS5 will continue to have shortages so if this allows companies to make there money back then thats fine, id rather that then they lose money just for the sake of forum dick waving.

And as for the customer supplier line the whole attempt to take down the ps3 and vita stores was a much bigger problem then this.
Let me clarify - It's fine to delay a game, when you didn't blatantly lie about the initial release date.

That's the difference.
As well as leaving it all too vague as too whether it was cross-gen.

Edit: nvm, they didn't leave it "vague", they lied. I'm seeing the video footage of the game with the "PS5 console exclusive" banner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom