• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla II: King of the Monsters - Official Trailer 2

Typhares

Which of these Titans are here to protect us, and which of these Titans are here to threaten us? See the new trailer for #GodzillaMovie – in cinemas May 30. Following the global success of 2014’s “Godzilla” and 2017’s “Kong: Skull Island,” comes the next chapter in Warner Bros. Pictures’ and Legendary Pictures’ cinematic MonsterVerse: “Godzilla II: King of the Monsters,” an epic action adventure that pits Godzilla against some of the most popular monsters in pop culture history. The new story follows the heroic efforts of the crypto-zoological agency Monarch as its members face off against a battery of god-sized monsters, including the mighty Godzilla, who collides with Mothra, Rodan, and his ultimate nemesis, the three-headed King Ghidorah. When these ancient super-species—thought to be mere myths—rise again, they all vie for supremacy, leaving humanity’s very existence hanging in the balance.

dorkimoe

So fucking good
giphy.gif

Mahadev

The first one was a terrible borefest, the movie immediately kicked the bucket the moment
Bryan Cranston's character died
which happened the first 20 mins. Let's hope this one isn't as terribad.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

We've already seen more of the big guy in these trailers than we have on screen in the last movie, so that's already a good thing if you ask me.

Mahadev

Good lord that looks awful. How is the cgi worse than the movie from 5 years ago?

In Hollywood you fail upwards so it's no wonder the majority of their CGI still looks worse than District 9, a movie made almost 10 years ago with a budget of 30 million.

DiscoJer

Anyone else just see a bunch of blurry black shadows?.....

It reminds me of Pacific Rim

"Hey, let's make a movie about giant robots fighting giant monsters!"

"Cool!"

"And then we'll have all the fighting scenes underwater or raining or at night, so people can't clearly see what's going on!"

"Awesome!"

TacosNSalsa

I can't wait for this ..but I though Kong was supposed to be part of it...isn't he? Or maybe they are waiting for a later/launch trailer to reveal him?

TacosNSalsa

Isn't that supposed to be a whole different movie? Godzilla Vs King Kong?
I'm not sure. If I remember correctly the after credits scene in Kong Island is you see a the cave drawings of the titans leading me to believe that is part of the whole not just vs GZ , all of them so maybe he'll show up and help GZ?
It's the movie after this, as I recall.
Oh okay...so they already have a timeline ..I'm cool with that!

Last edited:

Domisto

Really liked the first one and this looks like potential to kick it up a gear or two. Gimme those tag team matches.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
"Which of these titans is here to protect us?"

This may top "Let them fight!" in terms of stupidity.

Let them fight is better than you may think. I am looking forward to a new meme out of this movie.

I mean, without Godzilla, the whole planet could have went shit side up. Those flying creatures tore shit up on an apocalyptic scale just flying through!

Last edited:

MC Safety

Let them fight is better than you may think. I am looking forward to a new meme out of this movie.

I mean, without Godzilla, the whole planet could have went shit side up. Those flying creatures tore shit up on an apocalyptic scale just flying through!

It was pretty dumb. And by pretty dumb I mean it may be the stupidest thing anyone has ever said in a movie. Scientist guy was watching the monsters destroy San Francisco (I think) when he said it.

Don't want to derail the conversation, but at what point are humans meant to intervene when the giant monsters start tearing up their homes?

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
It was pretty dumb. And by pretty dumb I mean it may be the stupidest thing anyone has ever said in a movie. Scientist guy was watching the monsters destroy San Francisco (I think) when he said it.

Don't want to derail the conversation, but at what point are humans meant to intervene when the giant monsters start tearing up their homes?

I'm going to watch the movie and come back to you with a constructed reply. However, that will have to wait till tomorrow. I'm taking a break grinding atm.

What the hell else are they supposed to do? Tickle Godzilla with missiles?

Saturnman

Banned
That's not the point, and you're getting hung up on the minutiae.

Let them fight means you accept destruction and sit by passively, allowing it to happen. It is dumb by any metric.

Actually, while the military distracted Godzilla for a while, they lost a nuke to the MUTOs, and promptly brought the nuke inside the city.

Their earlier plan was to lure the monsters with the same nuke and detonate it outside the city. Since there was old footage of Godzilla surviving earlier atomic detonations, it is unlikely it would have worked anyway.

A common theme of many Godzilla movies is that he is really unstoppable for humans and when many monsters are around, Godzilla is a "lesser of two evils". So in that universe, letting them fight is probably not a bad idea. It makes for great popcorn flicks in any case.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
^ Saturnman has undoubtedly watered down my reply somewhat, but I'll add in now.

Why he said Let Them Fight DOT GIF. Science was at a wits end and he was at the forefront of understanding the creatures (Ken Watanabe)
Let them fight still stands! It was the best move for humanity. Whether Letthemfight.gif or Fire a nuke and become exctinct.gif These creatures fed off of nuclear energy, Godzilla thrived off of it!

I wanted to post a longer response but, heck, it's not even needed at this point. I forgot the smoking gun was nuclear energy itself. it's why we don't go "letthemfight.gif" IRL when it comes to governments, since we're unable to absorb it.

In any case, I enjoyed the shit out of the movie even more so than the first time. So thanks for the excuse to watch it again.
Last but not least: Are you honestly ready for Let Them Fight HD? Are you?

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I'm more of a Shin Godzilla man now, but will still go see this. The 2014 film was okay and the Kong film had more humor or personality and monsters fighting in actual daylight.

J-Roderton

I'm more of a Shin Godzilla man now, but will still go see this. The 2014 film was okay and the Kong film had more humor or personality and monsters fighting in actual daylight.

Shin Godzilla pretty good? I guess compared to the other one. Thinking about buying a copy this month.

Not sure if this is new or just something that a fan clipped together but I love the first trailer with “somewhere over the rainbow” in the background

This looks fucking good, man

Not sure if this is new or just something that a fan clipped together but I love the first trailer with “somewhere over the rainbow” in the background

This looks fucking good, man

I’m avoiding all trailers after the first one. Dont want anything spoiled but I do hope it’s better than 2014

Top Bottom