• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG Galaxy now open to everyone

Sky Chief

I signed up right when it was announced. I just received an e-mail, saying it was now available. When I click the link in the e-mail it doesn't even lead me to a webpage or anything. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I think this email is unrelated to you signing up earlier and simply promotional because you have used GOG before. I got something similar.

Tainted

They do state "Your GOG Galaxy beta invitation will be sent very soon to the email address provided.", but I guess "very soon" can mean few days.

..and they also state 'Within a few days'.

ZehrOlS.png

Dont worry, I am in the same boat as you. I was just curious to when you signed up so I know how long I'll also have to wait

ghibli99

Sweet. Looking forward to getting in... the lack of a Steam-like app is the #1 reason why I rarely ever play the games I own on GOG.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
We don't need more competition in content delivery platform...we don't need any more segmentation! YARG! this is beyond annoying...

Mifec

We don't need more competition in content delivery platform...we don't need any more segmentation! YARG! this is beyond annoying...

can play with people who own steam versions

is drm free and you actually own your game unlike steam

pretty sure we needed this.

tmespe

As long as they provide something different it's a good thing. Steam is too dominant in this space, and it gives them too much power. The goals and the vision of gog galaxy seem very promising, and I hope they're successful.

Nordicus

The prices are already within my budget, but do they do the crazy steam style sales? I can see my backlog exploding.
GOG has sales frequently but the caveat is that usually it's in a bundle and to get the full 75% off, you have to buy the full bundle. They do sell the titles piece meal but obviously the discount is less.
And yet on the other hand, GOG lets you buy only the missing games in your bundle and get the full discount.

With Steam it's "Buy everything again or shove off"

This is good news. I've been waiting for this. I love Steam, but they need some competition to push out better sales options & various features. GOG's extremely consumer friendly approach is what this industry needs more of.

Now that I give it a little thought, the Witcher 3 / nVidia GPU promo is actually a really smart Trojan-horse to try to get more people to try out something other than Steam. That mental block of "if its not on Steam no thanks" is extremely common these days. EA has largely failed so far with Origin because people see them as anti-consumer. But I think its possible GOG has a chance to see Galaxy steadily grow into a Steam alternative. As silly as it may sound, the inclusion of achievements & chat is huge. And being a nexus for multi-player on a variety of games old & new is potentially huge as well. I have a small but growing collection on GOG & cant wait to see it provide some competition.

Yaska

IS there a way to manually add older downloads to the client? All I'm seeing is a folder scan which only picks up the ones from the newer installer.

Go to your Library, then double click the game you want to install. It takes you to a detailed view. Click the More button and select manage and select Import Folder. It will then start a (very slow) crc check on the files, and download updated files when necessary. If you have unlimited bandwidth and rather fast internet, it might be a better idea to just redownload the games instead. Took me 25 minutes on fairly good HDD to import Witcher 2.

Link1110

As a non regular user of steam who has to be annoyed by updates every time I start the client i approve of this client being optional. I won't be using it but it's a good option for people who want a steam like experience.

Red Hood

Banned
I literally found out a few hours ago that CD Project RED founded/owns GOG. It all makes sense now why they get so much respect here on GAF. I knew it wasn't about their games, I always thought their games were... okay, I guess, but nothing extraordinarily great. A noble endeavor, the DRM-free platform.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Really hope that they ditch the DRM free stuff only one day and offer games with DRM as well so we can have all the games on this platform.

Love CDP for treating the old classics with such respect and making them work on the most modern systems, so I'd much rather give them the money than Valve - even for the newer games.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
can play with people who own steam versions

is drm free and you actually own your game unlike steam

pretty sure we needed this.

im for DRM as long as it isnt archaic steam does DRM right, and you own your steam games, steam cant take your games away once you buy them.

As far as i can tell Steam is not DRM, but lets publishers enact its DRM in its platform allowing a larger library of games in its platform. ;) GoG will therefore never get these games unless it allows that. People are annoid that the steam client must be running in offline mode to play offline? Thats a small price to pay, segmentation is never a good thing in a userbase, thats why consoles are a superior "place to play with friends" its either Xbox and there live or ps4 and their PSN. NOT ps4 and PSN, steam, origin, uplay, galaxy, battleNET, and xbox and live, steam, origin, uplay, galaxy, battleNET.

CTLance

Any more of this "GOG should enable DRM" talk and I'm gonna go into Hulk mode. GOG is awesome because they have no DRM anywhere in their service. Take that away and you just have a repackaged Steam (or Origin). Fuck that noise.

orava

This is great and all but gog will never be nothing but a niche if the big publishers refuse to support it fully.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
we are not getting a new one, GOG has been there for years and the client is OPTIONAL.

in the words of the user brazil..."until it isnt" Whats the point of an optional client to a booming PC insutry other than to cause confusion to incoming PC gamers with another addition of a client to the dozen of already there clients? Centralization of 1 major clients where the entire PC community can game, chat, cross talk like LIVE, or PSN is what is needed not a dozen different clients.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing how DRM free and you play the way you want are some of their core value I wouldn't count on it ever being mandatory.

I refer you to post 167 about steams DRM...and it not actually even being DRM then refer you to post 174 of what is needed

Tenebrous

I refer you to post 167 about steams DRM...and it not actually even being DRM

Steamworks is DRM, and Valve have no issues with games having DRM on their store.

Not a single game sold on GOG has DRM of any sort, and I can't see them deviating from this. In the unlikely event they do start selling non-DRM free games, an alternative will pop up.

Jolkien

I refer you to post 167 about steams DRM...and it not actually even being DRM

As far as I know you cannot start a steam game without steam running. How is that not DRM ? (Granted there's the offline mode but it still launch Steam before launching the game).

orava

As far as I know you cannot start a steam game without steam running. How is that not DRM ? (Granted there's the offline mode but it still launch Steam before launching the game).

This is game specific iirc. Games are not required to use steamworks features or any other drm.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member

How is that a problem? DRM done right yes? And is game specific, like i said steam does not require you to use DRM, it is up to publisher

Steamworks is DRM, and Valve have no issues with games having DRM on their store.

Not a single game sold on GOG has DRM of any sort, and I can't see them deviating from this. In the unlikely event they do start selling non-DRM free games, an alternative will pop up.

i refer you to post 179 and then my comment above this.

Jolkien

How is that a problem? DRM done right yes? ANd is game specific, liek i said steam does not require you to use DRM, is it up to publisher

Not when offline mode failed. It didn't work for me way back when. I haven't had an internet outage in years so I never tried offline mode recently.

Forcing your customer to use a software is DRM done wrong IMO. I use GOG whenever I can since steam as such a terrible user experience (but I still have like 70 games on it :p) but that's for another topic.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
Not when offline mode failed. It didn't work for me way back when. I haven't had an internet outage in years so I never tried offline mode recently.

So your saying you havnt tried it recently, using words way back when. and havnt had internet outage in years? You made your retort completely useless and irrelevant just then, unless bugs arent allowed to be fixed and things can never change.

Jolkien

So your saying you havnt tried it recently, using words way back when. havnt and havnt had internet outage in year? You made your retort completely useless and irrelevant just then, unless bugs arent allowed to be fixed and things can never change.

I shouldn't have to have any other program running to monitor what game I'm playing that I paid for is what I'm saying. It doesn't prevent piracy it just annoy your customers.

Bradd12

I signed up right when it was announced. I just received an e-mail, saying it was now available. When I click the link in the e-mail it doesn't even lead me to a webpage or anything. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Sure am :(

Does anybody have a mirror link?

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
I shouldn't have to have any other program running to monitor what game I'm playing that I paid for is what I'm saying. It doesn't prevent piracy it just annoy your customers.

Ive never had any problems with it and havnt heard of anyone havnt problems with it, and those who have had problems with it, and its also game specific. Games that do not REQUIRE DRM do not need steamworks, its DEV opt in.

You want to blame someone you blame the DEVs who opt in, DEVs merely provides people the option for a NON archaic and reasonable DRM which ius perfectly acceptable. i have 143 games in steam i can launch right now without launching steam that i can launch from my Games folder on my desktop.

And monitor? achievements, micro transactions, trading cards, community, anti cheat, bug feedback? i call that features and community...not DRM..if thats DRM give me all the DRM in the world i liek having community features i dont want to be a lonely gamer with a world full of cheaters and bugs. Do you even know what steamworks is or provides as a non archaic DRM? Im off to bed you silly sausage while you do some research and refer you back to post 174, thats whats needed.

Skelter

Banned
You understand there are laws that protect against that right...tin foil hat much? Not only that it would be shooting themselves in the foot business wise.

I was banned, and reinstated, from. my account. I couldn't play any of my steams games while banned. All the games I have bought and not one would play.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
I was banned, and reinstated, from. my account. I couldn't play any of my steams games while banned. All the games I have bought and not one would play.

Beign banned is different than getting games taken away, should not have done what you did to get banned its in the EULA no excuses. Follow rules. Does there customer support suck yes, but doesnt not change the fact we need less segmentation and a place where all PC gamers can come together. im Off to bed you filthy rule breaker you we all know only iysaur can play the violin, hax ;). (BTW i know you can play offline as a banned person my little stupid nephew is banned for cheating is CS:GO i also think you can play on none VAC servers depending if it was a vac ban...unless you tried fraud or account theft...in which case i feel no remorse for you)

derExperte

Valve changed that years ago, your account gets resitricted instead of locked so you can't buy new stuff but still play everything.

Offline mode works fine these days.

Saintruski

Unconfirmed Member
Valve changed that years ago, your account gets resitricted instead of locked so you can't buy new stuff but still play everything.

Offline mode works fine these days.

Depends on the ban...if banned for fraud or trying to steal account, VAC ban, etc...Their Ban punishments are stern but fair.

lefantome

in the words of the user brazil..."until it isnt" Whats the point of an optional client to a booming PC insutry other than to cause confusion to incoming PC gamers with another addition of a client to the dozen of already there clients? Centralization of 1 major clients where the entire PC community can game, chat, cross talk like LIVE, or PSN is what is needed not a dozen different clients.

It IS and it will be, DRM free is the selling point of the entire platform.

There is no centralized service, even in the console world: you have 3 main competitors and other small services nobody care about.

You want to use only one client? Keep using steam. I want choice and competition.

Yaska

Beta client is now up for Alpha testers. Either through auto-update or through new installer on the page.

mugwhump

I'm quite happy for steam to have more competition
from people that aren't EA

Kinda regret buying W3 on steam instead of GOG, I actually don't have any gog games yet despite having had an account for like a year.

Tenebrous

I'm quite happy for steam to have more competition
from people that aren't EA

Kinda regret buying W3 on steam instead of GOG, I actually don't have any gog games yet despite having had an account for like a year.

I don't. It was £29.99 the day it went up for preorder on Steam, and £42 (plus a small refund) on GOG... I WAS going to get the GOG version, but there's no reason at all for that price difference on your own service with your own game, haha.

Top Bottom