• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG Galaxy now open to everyone

I don't even have a GOG game I desperately want to play at the moment, I'm just impatient to try this out for reasons. Give me a beta, GOG!

I dunno. Stump was working on an emulator achievement API for older titles (read: NES/Genesis/etc.), so it isn't out of the realm of possibility that people could add hooks for achievements in older titles, it's just a lot of work to do it.

Not even that hard, necessarily. IIRC stump whipped up a proof-of-concept for SMB achievements in an afternoon. A lot of specific achievements might be challenging, but anything that you can track by watching a location in memory would be pretty doable.

Whats the point of an optional client to a booming PC insutry other than to cause confusion to incoming PC gamers with another addition of a client to the dozen of already there clients?

I don't really care about the industry on this one, I care about what makes it more convenient to play my own games. Galaxy makes it a hell of a lot easier to manage the stuff I own on GOG than it is right now. Everyone* already has a Steam account anyway, so since it's PC you can just chat on there if you need to -- and GOG is even introducing the ability to buy on GOG but play with Steam owners, so for games that support it you wouldn't even see any playerbase fragmentation.

*Approximately.

Sakwoff

Not even that hard, necessarily. IIRC stump whipped up a proof-of-concept for SMB achievements in an afternoon. A lot of specific achievements might be challenging, but anything that you can track by watching a location in memory would be pretty doable.

See also: http://retroachievements.org/

The whole thing is based around that exact concept. Tried it once out of curiosity and it works.

Dizzy-4U

I know it's a beta but...

YbbFu9d.png

This is worse than resident evil 4 being all lowercase. Also, let me slide the black thingy to see the full name please! (Or an option to remove them completely would be nice too).

Lol so this thing really doesn't like it if you uninstall it and then reinstall to another location. Can't say I've ever seen that bug before. It wouldn't even show up in the task manager processes until I reinstalled it back to the original location.

Not a chance.

No matter how amazing the client is, it's mainly about the games. And Steam has an unparalleled amount. It's some nice competition though.

Yeah, I doubt GOG will ever overtake Steam, but then again, it doesn't really have to if they have carved out a niche for themselves. I honestly think that their biggest seeing point: DRM, is also one of the things preventing GOG from being more popular with the larger publishers. I do think that something like Galaxy will be a good thing for them, as there are a lot of people do like having all their games managed under one client. Convenience is always a plus.

Me personally, I would rather purchase a current game over Steam because it manages everything for me, including patches. I am totally fine with DRM being a tradeoff here. But if GOG brings a few Steam like features to their client, then yeah, I may buy more than retro DOS games from their service.

Bio

I really really like the idea of GOG and Galaxy, my only hesitation is that I'm thinking about, will I still be able to download my game from them in 20 years? Will they even be around? I assume Valve and Steam will still be going strong but GOG doesn't seem like nearly as much of a given.

I really really like the idea of GOG and Galaxy, my only hesitation is that I'm thinking about, will I still be able to download my game from them in 20 years? Will they even be around? I assume Valve and Steam will still be going strong but GOG doesn't seem like nearly as much of a given.

Well, you could always download the installers and keep backups just in case. The great thing about not having DRM.

CTLance

At least with gog you can buy a cheap external HDD and back up all your installers to it, which means you can install and play these games even if gog implodes, heck, even if the internet implodes. That's something steam and all online-locked distributors just cannot offer.

glaurung

Got my invite after signing up yesterday. Or was it the day before that?

Anyway, it is definitely a beta - through and through. Don't expect any miracles. Their UX is mediocre at best.

Curious how they will implement their achievement system though.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I was sent a 2nd code for some reason so if anyone wants it instead of waiting for their e mail PM me for it.

szaromir

Banned
Signed up 2 days ago but no mail yet :(

Check your spam folder, for some reason the invite code landed there even though normally GOG stuff lands in the main mail folder (or purchases/promotions).

The client is rudimentary, but game time tracking is godsend for me - I really care about this stuff for some reason. Also it streamlines game management heavily, which is very nice.

Galaxy is gonna goddamn steamroll Steam.
hell no they aren't.

Just got mine today. I think steam's client has way more interesting things, with big picture mode, the amount of info to be found on a games page and friend's profiles etc, I don't know what i expected really, but to me the galaxy client feels kinda barebones. I remember when it was first announced I was excited foir it just because I wanted something shiny and new to tinker around with and explore, but there's really not much to it . also as somebody else said, it's about the games and steam kicks the shit out of gog

random note- Just noticed I have age of wonders in my recent purchaes (dec 5 2014) and i have no recollection of buying it
edit- and it also doesn't work

Lagamorph

Check your spam folder, for some reason the invite code landed there even though normally GOG stuff lands in the main mail folder (or purchases/promotions).

The client is rudimentary, but game time tracking is godsend for me - I really care about this stuff for some reason. Also it streamlines game management heavily, which is very nice.

It just came through about an hour ago. Just took forever to get sent it seems.

Alric

Just got my code and messing around with it. Not bad, still in beta and i'm sure lots of things will change but I'm having no problem what so ever navigating and finding all the information I want.

Teknoman

I wonder if I should just delete all my other installs, and just reinstall with Galaxy. I've forgotten what I installed with Fallout 1 and 2 to get things working perfect.

Lol so this thing really doesn't like it if you uninstall it and then reinstall to another location. Can't say I've ever seen that bug before. It wouldn't even show up in the task manager processes until I reinstalled it back to the original location.

If you got the "missing essential components...." error, the trick is to

• Uninstall the Galaxy client if you haven't already done so
  • Type "sc delete GalaxyClientService" in to your Windows console / searchbox
  • Then type "sc delete GalaxyCommunication" in the same place
  • Finally, reinstall the Galaxy client in your preferred location.

Because GOG is drm free, I'm assuming I can install the galaxy client on both my laptop and desktop and not get locked out on one system if I'm on the other, correct?

Also, is there any form of cloud save games?

CTLance

Because GOG is drm free, I'm assuming I can install the galaxy client on both my laptop and desktop and not get locked out on one system if I'm on the other, correct?
Yeppers. That's exactly how it should work. Haven't tried the chat functionality though since I have no gog friends.
Also, is there any form of cloud save games?
Sadly, no.
You might have a look at gamesave manager. In conjunction with dropbox (etc) the Sync & Link feature moves those savegames onto a shared folder so you can share it between several machines.

(To be safe: You could create the symbolic links yourself since it's just basic filesystem shenanigans, but the manager provides a simple GUI and also provides other useful functions.).

Yeppers. That's exactly how it should work. Haven't tried the chat functionality though since I have no gog friends.

Sadly, no.
You might have a look at gamesave manager. In conjunction with dropbox (etc) the Sync & Link feature moves those savegames onto a shared folder so you can share it between several machines.

(To be safe: You could create the symbolic links yourself since it's just basic filesystem shenanigans, but the manager provides a simple GUI and also provides other useful functions.).

Good tip, I actually use both game save manager and drop box.

I suppose Galaxy is only going to get better, so maybe cloud saves will come as well.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So the import feature is really annoying. If you have a game already installed and try to add it, Galaxy will scan the files and update them, and there is no option to prevent it from updating like this. Okay, kinda handy if you didn't mod anything at all, but, uhhhh... these are fucking GOG games. I think I have 80% of them modded to make these ancient things run optimally.

hesido

I remember buying a game from GOG years ago, don't remember what it was though :) Need to login again, check what this Galaxy is all about.

Justinh

How do I see play time per game?

I think you can just go to that game's page and it'll be right next to the achievement percentage. I don't know if you can have a sortable list by playtime. I don't think you can do any sorting of any kind, to be honest.

I think you can just go to that game's page and it'll be right next to the achievement percentage. I don't know if you can have a sortable list by playtime. I don't think you can do any sorting of any kind, to be honest.

Mine says 0 minutes, despite playing the game for hours since I got Galaxy. Achievements work though.

glaurung

I reinstalled Windows 10 last night and tried to download TW3 using GOG Galaxy. Did not work, kept throwing server errors right off the bat.

Had to manually download that stuff again.

Top Bottom