• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

km3k

Neo Member
Here's the picture.

398981_10150601467332657_55892962656_9221844_943971135_n.jpg
Is that the Baldur's Gate icon at the bottom? Why would that be at the top of (what I assume is) the news feed? Could they be getting the Enhanced Edition content?

That's also Machinarium at the top of the picture, above the five games. Looks like it's coming soon if they already have a front page banner ready.

Clearly it's Sega, because I am the Eggman, they are the Eggmen, GOG is the Walrus, goo goo g'joob.

But realistically, it's probably nothing that earth-shattering...

Oh, and wasn't there a first Journeyman game? GOG has the second and the third (as of today), but it's missing that one. I admit I didn't play any of them, I just remember my Dad doing so back when they were recent.

Minsc

Gold Member
Is that the Baldur's Gate icon at the bottom? Why would that be at the top of (what I assume is) the news feed? Could they be getting the Enhanced Edition content?

Edit: Oh, wait. If that's the 'bestsellers' section, that would fit correctly; BG2 is currently top of that list.

The EEs of the Baldur's Gate games are exclusive to Beamdog on the PC, so it's definitely not related.

mclem

Oh, and wasn't there a first Journeyman game? GOG has the second and the third (as of today), but it's missing that one. I admit I didn't play any of them, I just remember my Dad doing so back when they were recent.

Nah, there wasn't. Heckuvah thing, they just thought they'd skip it and jump directly to 2.

(There was. Twice over, actually; the original game was slow so they rereleased an improved version as "The Journeyman Project: Turbo". It was on a different engine to the later games; I wonder if GoG have found it tricky to get running or something?

Fantastic music, though. A bit of an underrated score.)

Nah, there wasn't. Heckuvah thing, they just thought they'd skip it and jump directly to 2.
Ah, I see. It's like Street Fighter, then.

(I suppose so, especially if it was early Windows 95-onward-era - as I recall, CD Projeckt's openly stated they have a helluva time getting those titles working, and generally opt for DOS versions where they just can't get it to pan out.)

gabbo

Pretty much it if you look at the Walrus picture on Facebook.

I meant a drastic layout/design change for the site, not a different background picture for the front page of the shop + Walrus

Shadow Hog, I laughed too much at the Sega comment, well played sir.

Yaska

I meant a drastic layout/design change for the site, not a different background picture for the front page of the shop + Walrus

Shadow Hog, I laughed too much at the Sega comment, well played sir.

It changed quite a lot, the front page. The basic theme is there, but top sellers are in left instead of right, and news are pictures on the right.

wazoo

My latest wishes are for:

Toonstruck (Never played it)

Discworld 1,2 and Noir (My copies are nowhere to be found :'( )

Toonstruck works very well under scummv or dosbox.

Discworld Noir : you can make it run under Seven, but some menu is broken.

Run like a charm on my laptop.

I am happy to get machinarium. I hesitated to buy it recently. on Gog, it is instant buy.

Seda

So I have a 6+ year old laptop that I've been buying some old games from GOG to play during free time at work. This is my first time using the site.

I'm actually glad that Tyrian was free because that would have been my first purchase. :)

But....

Where the heck is Jazz Jackrabbit? :(

Perkel

Banned
So I have a 6+ year old laptop that I've been buying some old games from GOG to play during free time at work. This is my first time using the site.

I'm actually glad that Tyrian was free because that would have been my first purchase. :)

But....

Where the heck is Jazz Jackrabbit? :(

Probably playing horde mode in GeoW3...

cicero

I would definitely buy some of Epic's actually good back catalog (from when they made platformers) if it were available on GOG.

(A legal method to buy Commander Keen 6 wouldn't hurt either.)

I didn't realize that Commander Keen 6 wasn't included in the Steam Commander Keen Complete Pack/id Super Pack. Not sure why id never released Commander Keen 6 on Steam while releasing Spear of Destiny, both were published by Formgen.

Wow, I see that a boxed copy of Commander Keen 6 went for $280 on ebay back in 2009...

I didn't realize that Commander Keen 6 wasn't included in the Steam Commander Keen Complete Pack/id Super Pack. Not sure why id never released Commander Keen 6 on Steam while releasing Spear of Destiny, both were published by Formgen.

IIRC, id actively sought out and received the Spear of Destiny rights while FormGen was still a going concern, in order to repackage and resell the content themselves, whereas Commander Keen 6 was retained by FormGen (and indeed, Aliens Ate My Babysitter was still being sold with altered packaging after FormGen was bought by GT Interactive.)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Didn't expect TAG to show up there, that's pretty damn random, lol.

Wonder how they chose that over the thousands of other indie freebies out there.

But yay anyway, I don't think the game got enough attention upon its release, this will help.

Not even a link to his site though? You can also buy the soundtrack.
You can purchase any individual track for $0.50 or the entire album for a minimum of $6. If you buy the full album it includes 8 bonus tracks (some never heard before), a PDF file containing 99 sketches used in the creation of the game and an interactive map of the entire game.

cicero

Atari Array 50% off weekend promo on 21 different titles up now.

http://www.gog.com/en/news/weekend_promo_atari_array_50_off

I would definitely recommend these especially:
Total Annihilation: Commander Pack - $2.99
Star Control 1+2 - $2.99
Roller Coaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrill Pack - $4.99
Blood (One Unit Whole Blood) - $2.99
Outcast - $2.99
Independence War Deluxe - $2.99
Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos - $2.99
Master of Magic - $2.99
Master of Orion 1+2 - $2.99

Picking up Alone in the Dark 1+2+3 and Darklands myself.

If you are interested in Star Control 1+2 I would also recommend checking out the recent freeware port of the 3DO version of Star Control 2 called The Ur-Quan Masters.
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ur-Quan_Masters#The_Ur-Quan_Masters

Basically the same thing for Chris Sawyer's Locomotion, the spiritual successor to Transport Tycoon Deluxe, but it is surpassed by the new open source simulator of Transport Tycoon Deluxe, OpenTTD.
http://www.openttd.org/en/

Tempted to add Outcast to the backlog. I remember screens of the game in magazines really jumping out to me, but I never bothered to follow up on it (not that I could afford to follow up on many games at that time, but still). But, eh, my backlog of games is already gargantuan, thanks to these sales from both here and Steam, so...

Definitely echoing anyone who recommends Blood, though.

cicero

Tempted to add Outcast to the backlog. I remember screens of the game in magazines really jumping out to me, but I never bothered to follow up on it (not that I could afford to follow up on many games at that time, but still). But, eh, my backlog of games is already gargantuan, thanks to these sales from both here and Steam, so...
Only $3 for all of that sweet sweet voxel goodness. DO IT.

BTW, if you hadn't already seen it, Outcast has a fan made sequel in the works too, OpenOutcast.
http://www.openoutcast.org
http://www.youtube.com/user/openOutcast

Anarkin

Sword-wielding gamers, shirt-ripping retailers, cake-eating customers, and ass-kicking Heads of Marketing--you will find that and much more in this series of short videos we have prepared for you guys to watch over the weekend. You can watch the first one below, but stay tuned because we will upload a new video at 12:00 PM EDT every day until Monday.

What are they for? What are they advertising? We won’t say--you know how we are--but you can look at our “Making of” album for the videos here, if you’d like to speculate wildly ;)

Find out what we’re up to when the “Newer, Fresher, Bigger” GOG.com lands Tuesday at 09:00 AM GMT. Hope you guys enjoy the videos!

http://www.gog.com/en/news/special_feature_gogcom_commercials

New games finally coming?

wazoo

the first videos are quite sel explanatory.

DRM free
Worldwide shop
complementary cake could relate to the bonus they deliver
refined gamer ?? I did not know they were existing ??

cicero

I know something “Newer, Fresher, Bigger”. How about GOG finally adding all of those EA expansions like Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri: Alien Crossfire, or the many Wing Commander expansions. Would rather have that than say, a DRM-less Homefront or Brink. COME ON.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom