• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

L Thammy

How long does it take to "get" Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment? Let's say I want to try them just long enough to understand how they compare to other D&D games.

Minsc, when you collect recommendations, where are they coming from? Are you doing a search to find any mention of the game and sifting through that?

epmode

How long does it take to "get" Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment? Let's say I want to try them just long enough to understand how they compare to other D&D games.

The Infinity Engine games were popular partially because they made the AD&D thing very accessible. Aside from having to have a basic knowledge of AD&D + a few interface annoyances, they're very easy to play.

If you want to know how Torment compares to other AD&D games, only Baldur's Gate 2 gets close. You should really play both of them.

Jag

I loved the Risen games (even 3 was fun in its own way), but I then went back and tried Gothic 2, I couldn't get through the clunky interface. I know people say it grows on you, but I just couldn't get used to it. I may try Gothic 3 to see if its any better.

But off that GoG list, Divinity 2 is well worth it for $5.

Some highlights:

1. Having your own massive Tower staffed with helpers that can run errands. Also has a portal stone that lets you port to it.
2. Crafting a custom golem to fight along side you.
3. Morphing into a flying dragon and laying waste to everything. The dragon is also an RPG minigame that you can level up and gear up.
4. All content including Ego Draconis..

kswiston

I loved the Risen games (even 3 was fun in its own way), but I then went back and tried Gothic 2, I couldn't get through the clunky interface. I know people say it grows on you, but I just couldn't get used to it. I may try Gothic 3 to see if its any better.

How does the weather turn out this summer? :p

tauke

Pickup all three Gabriel Knight. Totally miss this series when I'm only aware of King Quest, Police Quest, Quest for Glory and Leisure Suit Larry from Sierra during the 90s. :x

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
no clue but someone on the gog forums transcribed it using the periodic table and it comes out as "Sudeki"

Another release that would be interesting not because the actual game is any good, but because it's a sign of promising things to come. Getting MS on-board would be huge.

Edit: Wait. It's not being published by MS anymore -- it's some other small company that's already on GOG. So it's not a sign of things to come, it's just... Sudeki... :-/

kswiston

Microsoft is too busy pissing on the corpse of Age of Empires to bother releasing the games on GOG.

Plus, from that Ars Technica article last week, it seems like the HD remake of Age of Kings sold really well on Steam. Not sure they would bother releasing the original for half the price on a much smaller service.

Danny Dudekisser

Microsoft is too busy pissing on the corpse of Age of Empires to bother releasing the games on GOG.

Plus, from that Ars Technica article last week, it seems like the HD remake of Age of Kings sold really well on Steam. Not sure they would bother releasing the original for half the price on a much smaller service.

I'd pay $20 for it. Whatever. If MS wants to be greedy, there's really nothing you can do about that. I'd rather pay a little more for the game than not have it at all.

Then again, GOG's forum just had that hissyfit over people paying like 29 cents more for a game because they live in Estonia, where everything is shitty anyway.

inm8num2

If MS or another big publisher came on board, I think GOG would schedule some kind of conference or otherwise make a bigger announcement.

From the two sales, got Ultima Underworld games and Divinity 2. I'm already playing through the steam version of Gothic 2 with the expansion, but I think I've trapped myself. I started Chapter 3 at around level 10. I can't beat orc's and wargs already, and now there are seekers which take barely any damage. Don't know if I should reload an early save or not; at what level can I start taking these guys on?

Cheddahz

Banned
I'm currently downloading Theme Hospital and Divine Divinity onto my laptop (since I figured I could play them at work...which I'm going to)

Then again, GOG's forum just had that hissyfit over people paying like 29 cents more for a game because they live in Estonia, where everything is shitty anyway.

Pretty certain that's to do with the conversion charge banks perform on these things. I got an extra £0.16 (16 pence) added to each transaction I made this week, which adds when I've bought games on each day of this Battle of the Games.

Kinda bummed because it turns out they're all listed now and all available to buy, winners and losers alike, so I would only have had to have paid the one currency conversion charge, but we're talking peanuts anyway. It's hardly breaking the bank.

Anyway... Gabriel Knight games... never played them. Are they worth it? I've not played many of the Point-and-Click games throughout the years. I think the only one I played was Sam & Max: Hit the Road, which I loved back in the late 90's.

People who don't like Gothic 2, should give it an actual chance. It shows its age nowadays, but it's one of the best RPGs I've played.

It's worth playing through it even if you decide to use the Marvin cheat.

inm8num2

Anyway... Gabriel Knight games... never played them. Are they worth it? I've not played many of the Point-and-Click games throughout the years. I think the only one I played was Sam & Max: Hit the Road, which I loved back in the late 90's.

At 75% off? Absolutely. The storytelling is fantastic, and each game is unique in being a part of a different age of adventures (pixel art, FMV, 3D). GK3 gets way too much flak for the mustache puzzle - the rest of the game is brilliant, and while the 3D won't blow you away the interface and environment exploration (along with the point and click interface) are exceptionally well done.

They're my favorite adventure games of all time, so I may be a little biased in my recommendation. :p

Yes. Gabriel Knight games are rather serious in tone, unlike Sam & Max, although there's some light humor there, and they're absolutely outstanding. I've only played the first game to completion (I've only watched someone else play the third game, and I need to get back to The Beast Within), it's in my top 3 adventure games, and also one of the best games I've ever played. I grabbed all three of them, and also Bioforge from the EA sale, another forgotten masterpiece.

Well, you convinced me, guys. That's all Gabriel Knight games added.

Damn, between Steam and GoG (Mostly the latter), the last few days have seen a good amount of purchases:

Half-Life
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Heroes of Might and Magic: A Strategic Quest
Heroes of Might and Magic II
Heroes of Might and Magic III
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
The Witcher II: The Assassins of Kings: Enhanced Edition
Caesar III
Pharaoh & Cleopatra
Zeus & Poseidon
Empire Earth
Divine Divinity
Divinity II
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father
Gabriel Knight II: The Beast Within
Gabriel Knight II: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned

Real helpful, guys: I ask for an EA-sale recommendation and no response. I got SimCity 2000 to round it out as a result, since I've figured at least one city sim can't hurt. Going to get the first Gabriel Knight since I'm not too keen on FMV (means no Tim Curry!) nor the last installment.

People who don't like Gothic 2, should give it an actual chance. It shows its age nowadays, but it's one of the best RPGs I've played.

It's worth playing through it even if you decide to use the Marvin cheat.

yep. the whole gothic series is absolutely amazing. everyone should play. the true gothic series that is, gothic 1, gothic2 and its expansion and gothic3 (BUT NOT THE EXPANSION!).

Real helpful, guys: I ask for an EA-sale recommendation and no response. I got SimCity 2000 to round it out as a result, since I've figured at least one city sim can't hurt. Going to get the first Gabriel Knight since I'm not too keen on FMV (means no Tim Curry!) nor the last installment.

alpha centauri, ultima underworld, ultima 7, syndicate wars, privateer, bioforge, lands of lore, dungeon keeper 2

magical shit

AndyB1974

Picked up Divine Divinity yesterday but unfortunately I'm getting crashes to black screen when reading certain books from bookshelves at the start of the game. It was a bit of a strange install process as after double clicking the executable, it was about a minute before the GOG install window popped up and started installing the game. Maybe the download was corrupt. Gonna try re-downloading the game and a fresh install, hopefully I can get it to work.

Minsc

Gold Member

OXtvl8P.png

S4xWyBz.png

zTAXhjg.png

qpflogE.png

EczJi9O.png

Five games this week, and this week's theme seems to be games with warnings / reservations for one reason or another.

First is Risen 2, which I think suffered a bit from people having really high hopes based on the prior game. Unfortunately, just too many things were subpar compared to Risen 1, with the combat being even worse as well, which certainly didn't help its case. A patch for better combat did come and did help a bit luckily. Negatives aside, where it can deliver a good experience is if you're looking more towards the exploration aspect (though the multiple Risen 2 islands are a fair bit smaller than the single Risen 1 island), or if you just really are in the mood for a pirate themed RPG game. Enough people had nice things to say that it gets a spot with a warning.

The Journeyman series is next, with all three games coming recommended when they are mentioned in posts, but there just aren't that many recent impressions of them. Certainly a unique FMV adventure series worth looking in to if you're in the mood, and again they do seem to carry good impressions, even if people are opinionated over which in the series they like the most.

Last is BlazBlue Calamity Trigger, was already talked about a little as it is a recent release. Lacking online modes gets it its warning label, definitely a big drawback for a fighter. Its strength really comes from the story / single-player content, which it is pretty much unrivaled among the genre, the story is funny, fully voiced and carries 20-30 hours of content in it, along with many modes to play.

As for the ones that didn't make the cut, all there was is Moebius: Empire Rising, which was too new to carry enough impressions about it (though I saw it got pretty bad reviews). The other releases from Week 16 also need to be researched, but I'm not too optimistic about the rest of them.

inm8num2

Hooray for the Journeyman Project series! Haven't played the first game yet, but I adore the sequels. Arthur has to be one of the best sidekicks ever. I love the gameplay, the puzzles, the historical research. Wonderful games that remind me of the old days in the 90s when family members could crowd around the computer and play a game like that together. :)

Being that I'm fresh off the boat to this wondrous new PC gaming utopia, I'm brand new to GoG and in some ways Steam. But Steam is obviously quite famous that even a seasoned console gamer such as me knows all about it, but what's the story with GoG? Is it relatively new? Is it making strides towards becoming as big as Steam?

epmode

It's a very different beast. The goal isn't to pile on as many new releases as possible, but to get games from all eras released completely free of DRM.

Plus consumer-friendly business practices like a 30 day money-back guarantee and fair pricing for non-American markets.

GOG's forums are great too. Lots of incredibly helpful posters.

Yeah since my foray into PC gaming began like a week ago, I've bought most of my purchases from GoG so far. I really like it. I hope they get a mammoth-library, even greater than the current one, and are a resounding success.

Of course, not at the cost of their current customer friendly policies.

I will buy a lot more on Steam in future. It's just there's no point in buying the graphical heavy hitters until I get my gaming rig in a month or so.

Two of the first games I got on GOG, lol.

lol. better safe than sorry

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but Gabriel Knight 1 is a getting an HD remake pretty soon, so you might want to wait for that.

http://www.gabrielknight20th.com/

not a huge fan of phoenix online. they do really bad stilted and timed animations. although I am coming around to them a bit with moebius. hehe. but this isn't going to be a substitute for the original. there is no way.

Lemstar

For people who own UT99 on GOG, did they add anything to get the game running better on newer operating systems? I own two copies of the game physically, although the last time I tried to install it on Vista, it wasn't being particularly cooperative.

Danny Dudekisser

For people who own UT99 on GOG, did they add anything to get the game running better on newer operating systems? I own two copies of the game physically, although the last time I tried to install it on Vista, it wasn't being particularly cooperative.

Seems to run fine for me. I've only played a few minutes of it, but I didn't have any trouble getting it to run or getting it to look right.

gabbo

May be a Vista thing, my retail copies have never caused issues with Vista or 7, and the dx10 rendering patch works wonders for graphics oomph

Danny Dudekisser

Sometimes you give games a chance.

In Mr. Bree's case, that may have been a bad idea.

The game looked kinda like Super Meat Boy, so I figured "sure, for $4, why not?" Well, while I've only played a few levels, it kinda sucks. The game runs at 30fps, and feels really slow. For a game that's about acrobatic jumps and running through stages quickly, that's a very bad thing. And the levels are so visually cluttered with stuff that you can't even tell where the obstacles are a lot of the time. Dumb.

The level designs aren't too impressive so far, either. The game has small stages, a la Super Meat Boy, but puts a bunch of checkpoints in them so that if you die, you don't have to replay... well, anything. The problem is that as a result, there is absolutely no tension, whatsoever. If you make it through a dicey segment and don't have any incentive to continue your perfect run, where's the stress? In a platformer that doesn't boast any interesting mechanics, and that's solely about jumping and running, that's about as big of a problem as you can possibly have.

In conclusion, Mr. Bree is a worthless game that didn't need to exist, and I feel like I just funded terrorism by buying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom