• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | News and Updates 2017 - Back to the basics

Looks like EGA 320x200 to me, albeit probably with aspect ratio correction at a resolution where that wouldn't result in clean integer scaling.

ShadowOwl

Still loving GOG but the support situation for some games is pissing me off.

It's been almost 3 months since the latest patch (1.03) for good old Nexus - The Jupiter Incident has been released on Steam, which fixes annoying crash issues and adds GUI scaling. Here's a list documenting similar cases: https://www.gog.com/mix/games_that_treat_gog_customers_as_second_class_citizens

I hate it that many developers, especially some indies, treat GOG users as second class customers. I know that it can be costly to support DRM free releases but if you are unable to do so you shouldn't offer your games on that platform in the first place. Gah...

Coreda

I hate it that many developers, especially some indies, treat GOG users as second class customers.

Especially when they're often paying more for the games than on other services. I've read explanations that it takes a bit more to package patches for GOG but like you said there are some devs that simply don't seem to bother for months on end.

Also is Minsc MIA? PM'd about a title change but no luck. I believe others have, too.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Especially when they're often paying more for the games than on other services. I've read explanations that it takes a bit more to package patches for GOG but like you said there are some devs that simply don't seem to bother for months on end.

Also is Minsc MIA? PM'd about a title change but no luck. I believe others have, too.

It's still 2015, baybeee

Minsc

Gold Member
I guess I wasn't updating the title in hopes of either someone starting a new thread or myself getting to it eventually. Doesn't really seem like GOG has the activity it used to here, but I just can't remove or update the year in good faith (all the other platforms would just want mega threads again too).

I guess I wasn't updating the title in hopes of either someone starting a new thread or myself getting to it eventually. Doesn't really seem like GOG has the activity it used to here, but I just can't remove or update the year in good faith (all the other platforms would just want mega threads again too).

I just noticed that lol. It sort of picked up traffic recently, It would be nice if more were here since gog is pretty awesome.

gabbo

Maybe a title change would drive traffic? Stop people from thinking we're continually necrobumping the post

Coreda

but I just can't remove or update the year in good faith (all the other platforms would just want mega threads again too).

I mean, when there's so little posting to not reach even 25 pages in almost two years I don't think anyone is going to mind :) The SteamGAF discussion thread on the other hand reaches the max quota every month, sometimes earlier. Compare this to the Steam News thread which was started in 2014 and ran for two years without any date in the title as it was intended as a purely informative service news and updates (similar to this thread). To me it seems reasonable to leave out the date entirely in such cases. Or at least something so it doesn't seem quite as outdated, such as an updated year title (I've seen updated years in titles on other threads IIRC), or a new thread as you mentioned.

I'd imagine if this topic was more discussion oriented it would probably gain more replies, if that's a goal. As the impression is of a news only thread (it's in the title after all) so even for games I've bought on GOG I tend to just post in SteamGAF as it seems open to casual game/PC discussion. My two cents anyway. Would be interested in how others view this thread.

Maybe a title change would drive traffic? Stop people from thinking we're continually necrobumping the post

I mean, when there's so little posting to not reach even 25 pages in almost two years I don't think anyone is going to mind :) The SteamGAF discussion thread on the other hand reaches the max quota every month, sometimes earlier. Compare this to the Steam News thread which was started in 2014 and ran for two years without any date in the title as it was intended as a purely informative service news and updates (similar to this thread). To me it seems reasonable to leave out the date entirely in such cases. Or at least something so it doesn't seem quite as outdated, such as an updated year title (I've seen updated years in titles on other threads IIRC), or a new thread as you mentioned.

I'd imagine if this topic was more discussion oriented it would probably gain more replies, if that's a goal. As the impression is of a news only thread (it's in the title after all) so even for games I've bought on GOG I tend to just post in SteamGAF as it seems open to casual game/PC discussion. My two cents anyway. Would be interested in how others view this thread.

Good points. A title change might solve this problem. Just talking about the games can lead to discussion and more activity and when galaxy gets more mature I can see that generating more traffic as well.

Coreda

Yet again GOG rejects a really cool looking game
mJCZBXN.gif
This time a point-and-click based on Renaissance paintings animated marionette-style ala Terry Gilliam.

Four Last Things | Trailer | RPS piece.

When asked about a GOG release the dev tweeted:

Joe Richardson said:
I actually submitted to gog but got (very politely) rejected :(

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone here knowledgeable about gog wallet refunds? Customer support seemingly can't help me and I wondering about the consequences about forcing a refund over paypal.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Now is the time to get classic LucasArts adventure games. Lowest prices I've seen.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
What did support tell you?

They said that they can't refund. I'm basically only asking if anyone knows what would happen if I tried to force the refund through paypal dispute. I wouldn't mind losing my gog account if that's the only thing. Also I'm EU.

mclem

For some reason three lines from this have stuck in my mind ever since I played this:

"WILLY BEAMISH! What did I just say?" (I think this might be the first line said in gameplay?)
"The Beamish's front stoop is littered with skidmarks from Willy's skateboard"
"Kibbles an' bits, kibbles an' bits, I'm gonna get me some kibbles an' bits"

It's a fun adventure, if from a slightly odd period in Sierra's life.

KainXVIII

For some reason three lines from this have stuck in my mind ever since I played this:

"WILLY BEAMISH! What did I just say?" (I think this might be the first line said in gameplay?)
"The Beamish's front stoop is littered with skidmarks from Willy's skateboard"
"Kibbles an' bits, kibbles an' bits, I'm gonna get me some kibbles an' bits"

It's a fun adventure, if from a slightly odd period in Sierra's life.
Also nurse 😍
https://youtu.be/7waf5tGInCo?t=325

Danny Dudekisser

Kinda wish we'd get something more interesting as the retro release than another P&C. What I wouldn't do for a GOG release of Lode Runner: The Legend Returns that works on modern systems.

JakeD

This is freaky. I was thinking about this game for the first time in years last night.

Same here. It popped up in my twitter feed a few weeks ago and brought back waves of nostalgia. I hadn't even thought of it once since the 90s. Ended up youtubing it. All I really remembered was the opening scene and an insanely convoluted puzzle where you have to drop a frog into a pot or something. Made me want to throw my computer out as an 8 year old.

Buying immediately

Sakwoff

Kinda wish we'd get something more interesting as the retro release than another P&C. What I wouldn't do for a GOG release of Lode Runner: The Legend Returns that works on modern systems.

My old copy of The Legend Returns comes with versions for Win95, Win 3.1 and DOS. The latter two run great in DOSBox, and as far as I know are not in any way gimped compared to Win95.

But yeah, a GOG release would be neat. IMHO the best "newer" version of Lode Runner. Didn't really like the newer Tozai games. The rights situation for TLR might be a little weird though? It probably belongs to Activision, while the rights to Lode Runner as a brand are somewhere else. Would probably require some work to sort that out.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ok, fine... 2017, here we are! :) Let's see if this picks up at all and perhaps if anyone even wants to launch a new thread at some point.

Coreda

Picked up A Boy and His Blob and started Hotline Miami. When the end of mission score rolled the parallax effect and enormous glowing text made me queasy. Playing it on a 27" desktop display mightn't be the best idea. Might try it in a smaller window.

Danny Dudekisser

Riddick has been delisted from GOG. So that game basically doesn't exist anymore on PC. GOG version was the way to go, though, since even the Steam release still had TAGES in it.

Considering it's been delisted for years on Steam now, and how much of a licensing hell that whole thing must be in, I wouldn't expect to see it return.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I got Riddick a while back. Looks like now is the time to play it and feel like I'm in the exclusive cool kids club?

Riddick has been delisted from GOG. So that game basically doesn't exist anymore on PC. GOG version was the way to go, though, since even the Steam release still had TAGES in it.

Considering it's been delisted for years on Steam now, and how much of a licensing hell that whole thing must be in, I wouldn't expect to see it return.

I thought it was deactivated and just had some files remaining that did nothing?

gabbo

What's the licensing issue involved?

Top Bottom