• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going to Boston and NYC at the end of June.

The whole "fold it in half to eat it" thing.

If a pizza can't hold up under its own weight, it wasn't properly constructed.
And if it can be "folded" just as easily as that, again, it wasn't properly constructed.

There are different styles of pizza. Sounds like you don't like Neapolitan style.

I get why its a joke that Sbarrro's is proper NYC pizza since that place is everywhere in shopping malls etc.

But When ive had it it wasnt half bad. But its when compared to other fast food chains.

Are you in to Ramen? There are a couple great Ramen places out in Somerville.

My 2 favorites are Sapporo Ramen and Yume Wo Katare. Both right off of the T at Porter Square (red line)

paskowitz

What kinda of food do you like (want to try)? There is practically an unlimited number of great restaurants in NYC. If you have some cash, I would get lunch (not dinner because it is even more expensive) at Le Bernardin. Honestly a life changing experience. Bone marrow octopus fusilli at Marea is ace as well. Other than that, best pizza is in Brooklyn. I like Di Fara and Fornino's. Koreatown has great food as well. If you give me something to work with, I can come back with some specific recommendations.

Walking the high line or biking along the water front is also a nice experience.

bigJP

im planning a new york trip. whats the difference between midtown east and west? any preference on which side i stay?

What kinda of food do you like (want to try)? There is practically an unlimited number of great restaurants in NYC. If you have some cash, I would get lunch (not dinner because it is even more expensive) at Le Bernardin. Honestly a life changing experience. Bone marrow octopus fusilli at Marea is ace as well. Other than that, best pizza is in Brooklyn. I like Di Fara and Fornino's. Koreatown has great food as well. If you give me something to work with, I can come back with some specific recommendations.

Walking the high line or biking along the water front is also a nice experience.

Not that into fine dining. I love texmex, pasta, chinese, pizza, burgers, thai and the like. Havent eaten much korean or such.

Wag

Recommend catching a Pawtucket Red Sox game. Much cheaper than a Boston Sox game at Fenway and a lot of fun.

Recommend catching a Pawtucket Red Sox game. Much cheaper than a Boston Sox game at Fenway and a lot of fun.

Already going out to a Red Sox game tomorrow at fenway :) tickets are booked. :D

Also going to a bluefish ballgame in Bridgeport. Those tickets were cheap.

Cyanity

Banned
Welcome to Boston buddy! If you get a chance (maybe the day you explore Harvard), take a bus down to Union square in Somerville, which is only about 5 minutes away, and try some Union Square donuts. Follow it up with a factory tour of the Taza chocolate factory, which is about a 10-15 minute walk from Union Square. (tours are super cheap and you get lots of free chocolate).

Oh, oh, also, if you like ramen at all, stop in at Santouka ramen in Harvard Square while you're there. Other than Yume Wo Katare in Porter square, Santouka might just be the best ramen in Boston.

Welcome to Boston buddy! If you get a chance (maybe the day you explore Harvard), take a bus down to Union square in Somerville, which is only about 5 minutes away, and try some Union Square donuts. Follow it up with a factory tour of the Taza chocolate factory, which is about a 10-15 minute walk from Union Square. (tours are super cheap and you get lots of free chocolate).

Oh, oh, also, if you like ramen at all, stop in at Santouka ramen in Harvard Square while you're there. Other than Yume Wo Katare in Porter square, Santouka might just be the best ramen in Boston.

I am actually planning to see Harvard and the area around it. So cheers!

If you're looking for some stuff to check out this weekend and want to eat...

Tacopocalypse is at the SoWa Open Market in the South End this weekend... Food truck + beer trucks, open air, very cool spot too.

Also in the South End is JerkFest, the annual Jamaican food festival... Rum, beer, and tons of jerk chicken: http://bostonjerkfest.com/

Boston PickelFest, annual event celebrating pickelled foods: https://www.boston.com/culture/food/2017/06/20/this-food-festival-is-entirely-devoted-to-pickles

If you're looking for some stuff to check out this weekend and want to eat...

Tacopocalypse is at the SoWa Open Market in the South End this weekend... Food truck + beer trucks, open air, very cool spot too.

Also in the South End is JerkFest, the annual Jamaican food festival... Rum, beer, and tons of jerk chicken: http://bostonjerkfest.com/

Boston PickelFest, annual event celebrating pickelled foods: https://www.boston.com/culture/food/2017/06/20/this-food-festival-is-entirely-devoted-to-pickles

Dude eating is what i do. Will check out food trucks. One if not the biggest reason i Go on this trip is to eat.

Cyanity

Banned
And if you're looking for cheaper fare, Grendel's pub in Harvard Sq has happy hour running until 7:30pm where the purchase of any alcoholic beverage $6 or over gets you half off on their excellent food. I highly recommend the Peruvian quinoa stew!

Just got myself pregame tour tickets for today too. So gonna do full fenway park experience today, Will be great. Was just exhausted yesterday evening so just got a Five guys bacon cheeseburgare, can do worse tho. Damn those burgers are good.

AXSpTjH.jpg

Game day hype. This will be fun. Go sox!

Wag

As a Boston suburbanite I can tell you I haven't been to a Red Sox game in >20yrs. I can't afford it.

I do go to Pawsox games every so often tho. Get there early enough, parking is free. You haven't lived until you go to a minor league game and watch the mustard chase the ketchup
around the field.😀

As a Boston suburbanite I can tell you I haven't been to a Red Sox game in >20yrs. I can't afford it.

I do go to Pawsox games every so often tho. Get there early enough, parking is free. You haven't lived until you go to a minor league game and watch the mustard chase the ketchup
around the field.😀

Tickets were "only" $81 so it wasnt thaat expensive imo, not NFL game tickets ridicolousness atleast. The bleacher section were like $40 i believe.

If it wasnt a hassle to travel to that arena to catch a pawsox game i mightve done it. But i travel by myself and No car. Uberx is dirt cheap compared to cab rides at home in sweden tho. $12 to get back to the hotel after the game. :)

Sanjuro

Tickets were "only" $81 so it wasnt thaat expensive imo, not NFL game tickets ridicolousness atleast. The bleacher section were like $40 i believe.

If it wasnt a hassle to travel to that arena to catch a pawsox game i mightve done it. But i travel by myself and No car. Uberx is dirt cheap compared to cab rides at home in sweden tho. $12 to get back to the hotel after the game. :)

McCoy Stadium is a dump and the area is a dump. Not worth it. Making the trip up to Portland to see the Sea Dogs would be a better experience IMO. Or just do downtown Providence for some eat and drinks.

Red Sox tickets are manageable. Every venue is a little pricey in these parts. StubHub is your best bet closer to the date for some cheap tickets.

Good choice not going to Pawtucket... Far away from you and Pawtucket the city is a dump (sorry Rhode Islanders). Plus Fenway is one of the most historic ballparks in America, definitely worth going to. You only go to Pawtucket if you live in Massachusetts or RI, get PawSox tickets for free from one of the billion promotions they have a year, and want a cheap trip to a baseball game at a dumpy stadium, or you're going to a baseball game and then going to a RI strip club after.

For other folks in MA (not for visitors), if you're looking for cheap, good baseball, I'd recommend going to a Futures League game. Very kid friendly, a few nice cheap ballparks, and cheap food, and very good Amateur baseball, mostly young stars from college playing during the summer who will end up being scouted for MLB. You regularly see MLB scouts at the games, too.

around the field.

Good thing OP didn't listen to this.

Hope you enjoyed yourself, OP :)

nel e nel

Don't go to Staten Island. If you're gonna go to any island off of NYC, I hear Ellis Island is not bad.

Already been to Ellis Island ^^

Governor's Island > Ellis Island

https://govisland.com

Coney Island is fun for the rides and Nathan's, and the hot dog eating contest is on the 4th of July. I would also suggest Brooklyn Bridge Park and Prospect Park. We also have a bunch of new ferry lines that can take you from Astoria all the way to Rockaway.

https://www.ferry.nyc

Brooklyn Museum is great as well, 2nd largest Egyptian collection in the states, and the Botanic Garden is right next door.

TyrantII

Enjoy your stay in Boston! Looks like you lucked out with some great weather besides a little rain yesterday. Sullivan's / Castle Island / Ft Independence was packed last night once the humidity broke, it was a great night to be out.

If you like five guys, try UBurger in Fenway/Kenmore if you find yourself back around that area. It's local and IMO much better especially their cowboy burger with onions and peppers.

How long before you ship down south? Keep us updated on what you did and your thoughts.

Right? You get a chance to visit a historic ball park, oldest in the nation, you take it. Almost literally around for all of organized baseball.

BostonGAF, what should i hit up first to eat? Should i go to north end and have italian at al dente? My hotel is like said smack down in the middle in financial district.

Just wanna say that I love Al Dente. It doesn't have the prettiest interior or atmosphere, but I love the food. Their gnocchi is awesome.

Right? You get a chance to visit a historic ball park, oldest in the nation, you take it. Almost literally around for all of organized baseball.

To be fair, it's only been around for 2/3 of the time that professional Baseball has been around (148 years), and closer to 3/5 of the time that organized Baseball has been around (172 years).

But, yeah, general point is still there. The idea of someone making an international trip to Boston, and skipping out on Fenway in favor of McCoy is laughable.

Yes it was a great experience even if "we" lost and the concessions were expensive, atleast there were free refills and got a souvenir mug. The refills were needed during last days warm weather! But man the crowd and atmosphere were great at the game. People were cheering on until the very end. Putting their baseball caps inside out, Whats about that?

Singing along to sweet Caroline was cool too.

Whats the deal with dunkin donuts in Boston tho? Its everywhere. Of other parts of the US ive been to theyre not nearly as prevelent.

TyrantII

Just wanna say that I love Al Dente. It doesn't have the prettiest interior or atmosphere, but I love the food. Their gnocchi is awesome.

I don't like lists, buts it's in the top bracket. Their homemade pasta is worth the extra few bucks, and the small dining room and buzzing atmosphere is the Italian-American tradition I grew up in. Great place to take a date.

People were cheering on until the very end. Putting their baseball caps inside out, Whats about that?

Singing along to sweet Caroline was cool too.

Whats the deal with dunkin donuts in Boston tho? Its everywhere. Of other parts of the US ive been to theyre not nearly as prevelent.

Rally Cap! Come from behind and win the game!

First dunks was in Quincy just south of Boston and they saturated New England long before large franchise places exploded in the 80s. Sadly they're owned by a holding company now and while they're locations have expanded to laughable levels only rivaled by Starbucks on the west coast, their food has taken a nose dive. I miss their fresh donuts, it's all froze and prebaked crap now.

Yes it was a great experience even if "we" lost and the concessions were expensive, atleast there were free refills and got a souvenir mug. The refills were needed during last days warm weather! But man the crowd and atmosphere were great at the game. People were cheering on until the very end.

Awesome, really glad that you enjoyed it :)

It's just a thing in New England in general. You can't go more than a few miles (often less) without running into one. They make for good direction points ("Head down the road until you've passed the 3rd Dunkin' Donuts, then take a right, past the 2nd Dunkin' Donuts on that road, and then a left") (I'm only partially kidding)

That's less than I thought.

Aye, Red Sox aren't sellin out these days as you can tell from his pics too

Same section is cheaper for other games apperantly. There are price tiers for games. This was a tier 1 and a prime time tv game so.

Can get same section for like $60 for lesser tier game irrc.

Yeah, prime game, saturday night, perfect weather, and the day after Ortiz got his number retired so I think it's a pretty good price. Used to easily pay $80 or $100 for shittier seats a few years ago when tickets were hot.

If you end up at Manchester today as I think you mentioned in your OP I'm a town away at the beach.
I could be coerced to get a few pint's later today.

If you end up at Manchester today as I think you mentioned in your OP I'm a town away at the beach.
I could be coerced to get a few pint's later today.

Plans are newburyport or Manchester tomorrow over lunch time. Today i am doing sunset grill, then Harvard area and later north end with dinner at al dente. :)

Sanjuro

Plans are newburyport or Manchester tomorrow over lunch time. Today i am doing sunset grill, then Harvard area and later north end with dinner at al dente. :)

Check out the creepy arcade on Salisbury Beach along with some beach pizza. It's adjacent to Newburyport.

Top Bottom