• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story swings to the #1 spot on the US eShop

Scrawnton

I keep seeing hype for this game here and I still have absolutely no idea what it is.
It's a golf game where you play through a story and explore golf course levels. Instead of it being a typical golf game, you have to actually explore the courses and solve puzzles to advance the story.

Cerium

I keep seeing hype for this game here and I still have absolutely no idea what it is.

It's an excellent RPG with golf instead of combat, an ambience somewhere between Stardew Valley and Earthbound, and extremely Australian writing.

Opa-Pa

I remember being hyped for this but the secrecy around it came off as a lack of conviction so I was a bit weary to bit and when the OT finally convinced me... Wow, turns out it's every bit as good as I wanted and more!

Couldn't be happier for the devs, they definitely deserve it.

Vitet

what size micro SD are you rocking with?

I'm going with buying physical for large and AAA games, and digital for all the indies. About 10-12 games and some demos and this is my memory usage (32GB card):

qFt4gL9.jpg

TAT2CjW.jpg

Peltz

I'm playing it now. It's actually really good. I'm happy a game like this is getting exposure. It's so passionately made and the soundtrack is fantastic.

Great news for a great game. Seriously, I'm addicted to this game.

Out of curiosity, how does the best seller list on the eshop work? Is it a daily list? Weekly? Monthly?

It is an awesome game made by two people. A surprise that came out of nowhere

Wow I had no idea it was just two guys. That's seriously impressive.

Cerium

Great news for a great game. Seriously, I'm addicted to this game.

Out of curiosity, how does the best seller list on the eshop work? Is it a daily list? Weekly? Monthly?

Biweekly. I'll repost what I wrote in the other thread:

Golf Story is already #1 on the NA eShop, unseating Steamworld Dig 2 after less than two days!

This is crazy and I'll explain why. The eShop charts track the past two weeks, meaning that whatever Steamworld Dig 2 has sold on Switch (quite a lot according to the devs) Golf Story has outsold all of that in less than two days!

Biweekly. I'll repost what I wrote in the other thread:

Wow, that's wild. I personally bought both of them this week so I didn't move the needle haha

This is the dream for any indie developer, to basically come out of nowhere, put out your first game and have it sell incredibly well. The two guys who made this game must be over the moon right now.

I'm only a little jealous

Mr_Moogle

I bought it and I'm certainly not starved for games on the Switch. If anything I have the opposite problem. BOTW dragged me away from Splatoon 2, Sonic Mania distracted me from botw, Mario+Rabbids then took me away from SM, now Golf Story is taking away attention from rabbids.

I still have to get MK8: Deluxe too and we have a new Mario game in October.

It's been one hell of a first year. Anybody who is starved for games on the Switch must have their heads buried in the sand or something.

I bought it and I'm certainly not starved for games on the Switch. If anything I have the opposite problem. BOTW dragged me away from Splatoon 2, Sonic Mania distracted me from botw, Mario+Rabbids then took me away from SM, now Golf Story is taking away attention from rabbids.

I still have to get MK8: Deluxe too and we have a new Mario game in October.

It's been one hell of a first year. Anybody who is starved for games on the Switch must have their heads buried in the sand or something.
Maybe they just don't like good games. Ever since the Wii days we know that Nintendo fans are dirty casuals that only like shovelware minigame compilations. If they buy good games then just for the icons on the homescreen. The inevitable and quick PS4 port will show Golf Story's true sales potential.

Nosgotham

People can say Switch owners are starving, but with this week alone...we eattin' today!

987776895377099842_1612029754

hell yes. these last two weres ive bought ten games...

i didnt pick up Golf Story yet but i got Butcher, Thimbleweed Park and Pankapu yesterday. dont sleep on Pankapu.

ive never had this big of a backlog in the first year of a systems release. its pretty insane

pswii60

People can say Switch owners are starving, but with this week alone...we eattin' today!

It depends what games you're in to. For me, as a home console for AAA type experiences it's lacking - but I have a PS4 for that. However, as a portable for more bite sized experiences it's easily the best first year of any portable the world has ever seen, delivering consistently week after week, and showing no signs of letting up.

I still need to grab Golf Story but I seem to have developed a strange addiction to Picross S.

7threst

I have been eating good these past couple of months on Switch. And there is so much more to come. Nintendo really is on fire this year. Pretty incredible.

This is without many reviews as well. Meaning, without any indicators as to whether the game is good or not, aside from some impressions, people blind bought the game.

I know I did. As soon as I saw the words 'Golf', 'RPG' and saw the GBA-esq visuals, I knew they had my money, regardless of the game's quality. Thankfully, Golf Story is amazing.

If there's one thing people are starving for, it's quality non-traditional RPGs.

You guys need to stop talking about eating on Yom Kippur...

I'm building up quite the backlog too, never had any sort of backlog issue on any console before, let alone in its launch year

Fliesen

Or bug fixes.

true dat.
I had like 4 camera bugs so far (where the camera was stuck off-center, and i needed to enter a building to recenter it), 1 time where - after clicking my bed - my character wouldn't move anymore.

But those are minor bugs and the game's constantly auto saving, so i'm not really mad.

You certainly notice the 'indie jank'...
Like, it's killing me that after a conversation with a character, the "..." speech bubble sticks around just long enough that an impatient person like myself thinks they have something else to say.

Great, fun game nonetheless.

phanphare

Banned
well deserved. really happy for the developers. I was sold when they first showed it and I'm glad others were too. now word of mouth is going to carry it. it's a great game. the writing is hilarious. the elitist disc golf douche-bags have some great dialogue.

Glen Tennis

Neo Member
Great! I'm torn between this and Thimbleweed Park. I love old Lucas Arts but people seem to also dig Golf Story... no reviews of Golf Story yet?

Top Bottom