• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf Story swings to the #1 spot on the US eShop

Teletraan1

Banned
Bought it on a whim because of feedback here and the price point. It really is a charming game and I am totally sucked in. Like others have said it has a few bugs but luckily I haven't been hit with anything too major. The fact that it was made by 2 people over a year is astonishing. A real nice contrast to we need to put loot boxes in everything to turn more profit.

Spman2099

I hadn't played my Switch in a while (no doom or gloom here, I am happy enough with it, but it is still very much a launch year), but Golf Story has me using it regularly. This is the perfect time for this game to release and I am happy that it is receiving the attention it deserves. Super cool.

I am so happy about this. Really well deserved. This and Cuphead have been rare cases where even though I've been excited since their announcements, they both lived up to everything I could hope.

Damn well deserved. I just got past the first area and am in love!

My Switch hadn't been used too much in the list couple of months but Steamworld dig 2 and Golf Story had reinvigorated my Switch playing and it'll only get better from here once Odyssey hits.

fortunato

Banned
I think this game is also selling well because it is the right game at the right time. That is, there really don't exist arcade golf games x RPG with such graphics---but it's something gamers would like to play!

lunchtoast

There is a lot going on in that trailer, looks fun. Also makes me look forward to the final season of Red Oaks for some reason.

This game is going to be a banger for sales I would imagine, it was actually a topic of conversation in line for the SNES Classic. Not at all par for the course to hear golf games discussed with reverence in public. I haven't gotten it just yet because my backlog is building, but it is certainly my next purchase after chipping away at some other titles I have recently acquired. Sounds like a hole-in-one.

Kebiinu

Banned
Very pleased with the eShop rankings overall. A lot of diverse games, excellent titles too. Not a bad way to blind purchase.

Opa-Pa

Nintendo should have these guys making Mario sports RPGs again since Camelot isn't capable of doing it.

I'm pretty sure it's Nintendo not wanting to give them the budget for RPG modes anymore rather than Camelot somehow losing their touch out of nowhere.

Judging from how this is doing I dunno why they would want Nintnedo taking all their profits lol

I probably should say it could be something in their future because I was thinking Camelot can't seem to do it, but if it's a money issue with Nintendo and Camelot then there's no point.

Jawmuncher

I don't disagree with the whole "starving" comment. It just depends on your taste's and how big you are on Nintendo/Switch. I have a lot of other platforms for my gaming time, so lately there hasn't been anything really appealing to me on switch. Golf Story actually was the first thing since Splatoon 2 that had me interested in turning my switch back on since that sort of game being portable is a treat.

Doesn't really matter though. Starting with October with just Mario and Fire Emblem Warrirors. Switch Owners looking for bigger titles are gonna be getting just that throughout the holiday.

Ottaro

Switch fans were starving and these developers feed them properly.

txn0e52.gif

brinstar

I don't disagree with the whole "starving" comment. It just depends on your taste's and how big you are on Nintendo/Switch. I have a lot of other platforms for my gaming time, so lately there hasn't been anything really appealing to me on switch. Golf Story actually was the first thing since Splatoon 2 that had me interested in turning my switch back on since that sort of game being portable is a treat.

Doesn't really matter though. Starting with October with just Mario and Fire Emblem Warrirors. Switch Owners looking for bigger titles are gonna be getting just that throughout the holiday.

Well yeah but in that case you're not "starving", you just don't want what's in the fridge. I haven't bought a new PS4 game since Persona 5 but I wouldn't say I'm "starved" for new PS games lol

heringer

It's also the first game where I liked what I considered worthless until now, the HD rumble.

Still not perfect, mind you. It's way too strong and repetitive, but they put it to good use in a lot of ways.

I'm fascinated by this game's success and word of mouth. It seemed to come out of nowhere, with very little detail, but it was being talked up a lot. How'd it catch on?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I really don't even see why this take is controversial. Personally I bought a Switch at launch and totally regret buying it and should have waited. There have been games for it, just nothing thats really interested me.

Started playing Mario + Rabbids this week and it's been the 1st game I've bought that makes me feel justified in my Switch purchase. At the end of the day its not really a big deal because other platforms have made me feel that 2017 is the best year in the history of gaming.

Picked up Golf Story because it looks interesting and neat, would have bought it regardless of what platform it was on.

I'm fascinated by this game's success and word of mouth. It seemed to come out of nowhere, with very little detail, but it was being talked up a lot. How'd it catch on?
There’s a very vocal group that loves sports RPG hybrids and Nintendo doesn’t care to make them anymore so seeing this game was probably like Christmas to some.

Jawmuncher

Well yeah but in that case you're not "starving", you just don't want what's in the fridge. I haven't bought a new PS4 game since Persona 5 but I wouldn't say I'm "starved" for new PS games lol

That’s a good point

I really don't even see why this take is controversial. Personally I bought a Switch at launch and totally regret buying it and should have waited. There have been games for it, just nothing thats really interested me.

Started playing Mario + Rabbids this week and it's been the 1st game I've bought that makes me feel justified in my Switch purchase. At the end of the day its not really a big deal because other platforms have made me feel that 2017 is the best year in the history of gaming.

Picked up Golf Story because it looks interesting and neat, would have bought it regardless of what platform it was on.

Yep

Oregano

I'm pretty sure it's Nintendo not wanting to give them the budget for RPG modes anymore rather than Camelot somehow losing their touch out of nowhere.

If that's true Nintendo is being cheap. Let's not even talk about Mario Ultra for Wii U.

I'm not sure if it's Nintendo being cheap. Camelot is tiny and as their games scale up they are stretched further. I'm not sure whether it's a case of them not wanting to expand or not being given the funds for it though.

brinstar

But you just answered your own question in your opening statement. There are games releasing on Switch, they just don't happen to interest you.

The way the "starving" comments are phrased make it seem like Switch owners are writhing on the ground in hunger waiting for something, anything to throw their money at.

I 100% agree that smaller titles are much more visible on Switch due to the dearth of AAA games releasing on the system, but I think people ultimately purchase games because they actually want to play them, not because they feel a need to get something out of their Switch every week.

Otherwise the folks who bang their drums loudest about only having played Zelda on it would have the most games purchased out of all of us.

thefro

It was mentioned in the Indie Showcase and then in the Nintendo Direct very briefly.

Other than that it's just a perfect fit for the user-base who've played Mario Golf, Animal Crossing, and Earthbound and got positive word of mouth/media attention.

Something's wrong here. Why is Picross S not at the top of the best sellers list?

Golf Story looks really cool, though. Will definitely check it out eventually. Glad they've found success.

Top Bottom