• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good Card-Based RPGs?

HotHamBoy

I'm a big fan of card games with single player JRPG-style campaigns where you go around fighting NPCs and collecting cards. It could be a game where the characters are aware of the cards and view the game as a hobby, or it could be a game where cards are a stand-in for the game's combat mechanics.

One rule for this list is that the game must allow you to earn all the cards by playing the campaign. No microtransaction packs.

Here is a list I'm trying to build out, maybe you guys can help me:

JRPG or Adventure Game Style
In these games you control a character directly and move them around
Pokemon Trading Card Game (GBC)
SNK vs Capcom Card Fighters Clash (NGPC) [excluding crappy DS sequel]
Monster Rancher: Battle Card Game (GBC)
Final Fantasy Chocobo Tales (DS/Wii)
Digimon Digital Card Battle (PS1)
Yu-Gi-Oh Series (many platforms)
Baten Kaitos 1 and 2 (GC)
Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2 (GC)
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (GBA)
Kingdom Hearts: Re-Chain of Memories (PS3)
Metal Gear Acid 1 and 2 (PSP)
MegaMan Battle Network series (GBA/DS)
Phantom Dust (XB)
Phantasy Star Online Episode 3: C.A.R.D. Revolution (GC)
Magic the Gathering: Shandalar (PC)
Etherlords 1 and 2 (PC)

Visual Novel/Mission-Based Style
In these games any narrative is conducted like a visual novel and you navigate a map or list of missions
Card City Nights (PC/Mobile)
Monster Monpiece (Vita)
Culdcept Series (PS2/360-only in West. I'm playing the English patch of the DS version right now)
Hand of Fate (PC/PS4/XB1)
Yggdra Union (GBA/PSP)

RPGs with a robust CCG minigame
In these games the card collecting is for a seperate minigame within a larger game and can be ignored completely
Final Fantasy VIII - Triple Triad (PS1)
Final Fantasy IX - Tetra Master (PS1)
The Witcher 3 - Gwent (PC/PS4/XB1)
Xenosaga Episode 1 - Xenocard (PS2)

Card Hunter is a pretty interesting hybrid.

Okay, there has to be more I'm not remembering or don't know about.

gnexus

Phantasy Star Online Episode 3: C.A.R.D. Revolution was pretty awesome. It was a Gamecube exclusive IIRC

butzopower

proud of his butz
Phantasy Star Online Episode 3: C.A.R.D. Revolution was pretty awesome. It was a Gamecube exclusive IIRC

One of my favorite gaming moments. Played the shit out of it while it was active, but it never really took off.

Phantom Dust and Culdcept never took off in the west either, and it's a god damn shame, great concepts and gameplay.

HotHamBoy

One of my favorite gaming moments. Played the shit out of it while it was active, but it never really took off.

Phantom Dust and Culdcept never took off in the west either, and it's a god damn shame, great concepts and gameplay.

Should I put Phantom Dust on the list?

Was that PSO game localized?

Pellaidh

Neo Member
The very first Magic: The Gathering video game (wikipedia link) actually had a pretty cool randomly generated overworld with dungeons, towns with shops and wandering enemies that would reward cards when defeated. As far as I know, it's the only MTG game that ever featured this sort of open world RPG single player campaign. Sadly, it's not really available anywhere legally, but it does at least have a fan made mod that makes it easier run on modern systems.

There's also Etherlords and its sequel, which are more or less a Heroes of Might and Magic/King's Bounty style overworld combined with MTG inspired combat.

Tagyhag

Thanks for this OP, I'm a fan of this type of card games as well, unfortunately a lot of games tend to go single player only or offer an extremely simple single player portion.

The very first Magic: The Gathering video game (wikipedia link) actually had a pretty cool randomly generated overworld with dungeons, towns with shops and wandering enemies that would reward cards when defeated. As far as I know, it's the only MTG game that ever featured this sort of open world RPG single player campaign. Sadly, it's not really available anywhere legally, but it does at least have a fan made mod that makes it easier run on modern systems.

There's also Etherlords and its sequel, which are more or less a Heroes of Might and Magic/King's Bounty style overworld combined with MTG inspired combat.

This was going to be my answer, I LOVE Shandalar. The fact that you start with a pretty weak deck, the fact that you can gain extra health or enemies have varying degrees of health. There's trivia questions with rewards or consequences, there's an actual story to it all, insane replay value etc. etc. It was my first time playing Magic as well.

They just don't make them like that anymore. I'd kill for another one like that.

Fireblend

Banned
Wouldn't Megaman Battle Network kinda count? There isn't any card game but you do use and collect chips to battle with...

v0yce

Was that PSO game localized?

PSO 3 is on Gamecude in the West.

And Phantom Dust checks all the boxes but the different skills and stuff aren't presented as actual cards. But you buy packs essentially and you build a deck and it's shuffled at the beginning of a battle and all that. Plus it's awesome and deserve any kind of recognition it can get. Not sure what you label it though. RPG arena battler?

Mercador

In for Phantom Dust and Culdcept. I remember when I reviewed PD, the readers were surprised at my score. It was totally unknown here.

Dragon_Ball_Z_LSW.jpg

Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors for GBC is a good one. It's a turn based RPG, but you attack using different cards.

It's surprisingly meaty, especially for an RPG on GBC and has a ton of replay value on top of that, since there's extra characters and scenarios that can be unlocked. I definitely recommend it, especially to DBZ fans. The spritework is pretty godlike, too.

Wouldn't Megaman Battle Network kinda count? There isn't any card game but you do use and collect chips to battle with...

They're cards in everything but name only, so I'd say yeah. The Megaman Battle Network series is excellent (with a few exceptions). The Megaman Star Force series uses a similar battle system but I didn't like it as much.

Dragon Ball Z: Harukanaru Densetsu for the Nintendo DS. I'm not sure it's actually a very good game but it's strangely addictive and compelling. I seem to go back and play it through every couple years.

HotHamBoy

<3
This thread combines two of my favorite things.

I would include Card Hunter it's a DnD based game with deck building.

I did put Loot and Legends up there, which seems to be same game as Card Hunters with a different name?

I'm confused about what the other differences are.

They're cards in everything but name only, so I'd say yeah. The Megaman Battle Network series is excellent (with a few exceptions). The Megaman Star Force series uses a similar battle system but I didn't like it as much.

I've never played those games, which is the best?

------

For you Yu-Gi-Oh fans, which is the best SP Yugi game ever made?

All I had back then was the real thing and shitty MTG: Battlegrounds for PS1.

Kent

Absolutely. Phantom Dust is a surprisingly-well-done mix of real time combat and card game mechanics.

On a similar note, Mega Man Battle Network (and its sequel-series, Mega Man Star Force) belong here, as they're among the more popular games of this type (together, they've had nine main-line games, with a few spin-offs, and several anime series).

Both game series use the functional equivalent of cards and user-created decks in them as the primary vessel for combat - just not literally called as such.

arigato

I remember putting a lot of time into the Yugioh GX Tag Team Force games on the PSP back in the day. They were surprisingly very good games.

SkyOdin

I've never played those games, which is the best?
Megaman Battle Network 2 and 3 are really great, 4 is a huge drop in quality, 5 is an improvement over 4, and 6 is a return to 2/3 in quality.

Star Force 1 is a great game, but it is mechanically simpler than most Battle Network games. Star Force 2 has its problems, while Star Force 3 is a huge improvement in gameplay over the first two.

The Battle Network/Star Force series is a must play if you like RPGs with a CCG element. Building a deck of Battle Chips/Cards is a lot of fun.

EDIT: BTW, I'm glad to see Digimon Digital Card Battle get a mention. That game was a blast.

HotHamBoy

Megaman Battle Network 2 and 3 are really great, 4 is a huge drop in quality, 5 is an improvement over 4, and 6 is a return to 2/3 in quality.

Star Force 1 is a great game, but it is mechanically simpler than most Battle Network games. Star Force 2 has its problems, while Star Force 3 is a huge improvement in gameplay over the first two.

The Battle Network/Star Force series is a must play if you like RPGs with a CCG element. Building a deck of Battle Chips/Cards is a lot of fun.

So what single entry should I play for the deepest and most refined gameplay?

SkyOdin

So what single entry should I play for the deepest and most refined gameplay?
Probably Battle Network 3 or 6. 6 is slightly more complicated, and a lot of people swear by it. However, I think 3 is the best overall game, and I personally prefer the Style system over the Cross/Beast Out system.

Datschge

Nintendo also has the Card Hero series, concept by Sakamoto and developed by IntSys, with one game each on GBC and DS. Japan only unfortunately.

SkyOdin

Looking back at the opening post, you need to add Xenosaga Episode 1 to the list of RPGs with fleshed out CCG minigames. Xenocard was one of my favorites, even if it was only playable in a single out of the way spot. Too bad that it didn't get continued in the sequels.

Card Boy

Banned
I approve of this thread.

Runespell: Overture on Steam is a Solitaire RPG hybrid. I can vouch for Card City Nights, best story based card game since Pokemon TCG.

HotHamBoy

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, gang!

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales counts? I thought it was simple but well done.

Protip: The DS version is better than the Wii version

Looking back at the opening post, you need to add Xenosaga Episode 1 to the list of RPGs with fleshed out CCG minigames. Xenocard was one of my favorites, even if it was only playable in a single out of the way spot. Too bad that it didn't get continued in the sequels.

Never played it, cool.

Arcana from the SNES days is a fun game if you can find a copy around.

I watched some gameplay and I couldn't see any card mechanics. The enemies looked like cards, I guess, but it just looked like a DRPG.

rickyson1

here's a somewhat obscure one that hasn't been mentioned yet for the minigame category

Last Scenario

it's a free rpg maker game with a gamelong card minigame roughly based on triple triad

ar4757

I know you mentioned Battle Network but extending from that I though Star Force was pretty solid all things considered

Card Boy

Banned
Uncharted: Fight for Fotune on the VITA and Element Monster Online TCG on PS3 aswell. Elemental Monster is only 99cents and includes a Plat!

HotHamBoy

Uncharted: Fight for Fotune on the VITA and Element Monster Online TCG on PS3 aswell. Elemental Monster is only 99cents and includes a Plat!

Oh man, I totally forgot about Elemental Monster Online and I have that game. It is surprisingly decent for $1.

Bowlie

Banned
Digimon World 3 had a pretty large and complex card minigame.

Beyond battling with your monsters, you could find dozens and dozens of NPCs that would only accept card battling. And after certain points, NPCs that previously would fight against you would then agree to duel with cards.

After each win, you'd get a booster pack related to the NPC you just won against, and you could buy other booster packs or separate cards in card shops around the entire world.

Here's a video showing how it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DKMHWJDf1c

This is a great thread. Some really great suggestions here. One I just thought up is the Warhammer 40k Space Wolf game on Android/iOS. It's a SRPG with cards used for actions/movement.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Hex: Shards of Fate has a decent PVE campaign. It plays like Magic, and centers around building a deck and augmenting cards with equipment/class perks. It's free to play.

HotHamBoy

It's spelt incorrectly in the OP. I made the same mistake.

Lol, thanks guys, my bad

Digimon World 3 had a pretty large and complex card minigame.

Beyond battling with your monsters, you could find dozens and dozens of NPCs that would only accept card battling. And after certain points, NPCs that previously would fight against you would then agree to duel with cards.

After each win, you'd get a booster pack related to the NPC you just won against, and you could buy other booster packs or separate cards in card shops around the entire world.

Here's a video showing how it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DKMHWJDf1c

Hey, that looks pretty sweet!

Seems the game itself reviewed pretty poorly, though.

This is a great thread. Some really great suggestions here. One I just thought up is the Warhammer 40k Space Wolf game on Android/iOS. It's a SRPG with cards used for actions/movement.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Hex: Shards of Fate has a decent PVE campaign. It plays like Magic, and centers around building a deck and augmenting cards with equipment/class perks. It's free to play.

Is that game any good? Do you buy cards with real money? Good balance?

Is that game any good? Do you buy cards with real money? Good balance?
Space Wolf is alright from what I've played. There's a decent amount of cards and perks, but I haven't had much time to play it through. You can buy boosters with premium currency, yes.

Sorry, wish I could say more. Just thought it might be one worth checking out.

Top Bottom