• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good video game artwork worth framing?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Oh hey, nice timing on this thread. I just got me a nice Dead Space 2 poster and I was hoping to possibly frame it. Anyone got any cheap solutions for this? No fancy ass frames and such. I've never bothered framing a poster, but this one is nice as hell.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffpro/5245283157/

that one

1149412-zelda_poster_big_1_super.jpg

I have this framed and two Mass Effect 2 lithographs. The lithographs are so classy looking that most people don't ever think they're based on a video game.

ReaperXL7

Some very nice pieces in this thread.

Question, does anyone know a good reliable place to actually purchase quality video game art, I would really love to pick up some stuff from stuff like Castlevania, Shadow of the colossus, Metal Gear, Chrono Trigger, and God of War, etc.

Found a few nice pieces on amazon and such but the selections are always fairly limited and and the quality is not always there, and advice or guidance in the right direction is much appreciated.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here's some Guild Wars 2 concept art. I tried to stick with more subdued pieces as I feel they make the best paintings.

attachment57cr.jpg

attachmentv7n1.jpg

attachmentd7r8.jpg

attachment07dg.jpg

attachment17li.jpg

attachment27jb.jpg

attachment17ni.jpg

attachment17db.jpg

attachment9779.jpg

attachmentc7ci.jpg

attachment7794.jpg

attachmentb7e3.jpg

attachment67yc.jpg

attachmentv7kp.jpg

attachmentw7if.jpg

attachmentd7vk.jpg

attachmentf77f.jpg

Zertez

balddemon said:
ooXGr.jpg

if i had the time and/or inclination to frame this one, i probably would. although i dont know about the whole "inject me" and the druggie vibe the picture gives off, i think its a great work of art.

edit: this one is my current desktop background, btw.
I like the artwork, but that one maybe tough to hang up in the living room with the inject me and remove me top.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Nirolak said:
Here's some Guild Wars 2 concept art. I tried to stick with more subdued pieces as I feel they make the best paintings.

Damn. Those are just amazing.

By the way, if there's anyone out there looking for more huge, frame-able artwork, the Wallpapers, Fan Art and Hi-Res Artwork thread is well worth a look. Just thought there would be some people out there who haven't seen it yet.

It's pretty huge but you will be handsomely rewarded for the time spent looking through it.

reminder

Replicant said:
Where did you get that image and what frame did you use?

It's from one of the Hi-res Artwork Threads here on GAF. I can upload the image again when i'm home from work.

The frame is a simple plastic frame in matt black.

KevinCow

Banned
Why would you do that? said:
The other day, I ordered Zelda posters from Club Nintendo, because my mother really liked the Twilight Princess one and she said she would frame it:

i3gGu.jpg

Edit: A bigger version, from Google Search:
http://wall.alphacoders.com/images/Video Game/Video-Game-Zelda-21458.jpg

It actually has a lot of detail.

Yes. I got this from Club Nintendo, and I fully intend to frame it.

I'm just not really sure how to best go about framing it. Plus I don't currently have anywhere to put it.

Ratrat

Guild Wars II has such amazing concept art. I've had used so many as wallpapers and have never even played the game.

jergrah

reminder said:
Is this an official artwork or Fanart? Damn, i need a hi-res version of it! Tineye doesn't help.

Edit: Found a much bigger version :)

Link please? Was going to ask the same question.

KevinCow

Banned
I ran out and got a frame for my Twilight Princess poster. It looks pretty good.

Unfortunately:

- The frame is black, not gold. I mean come on, it's Zelda. It needs a gold frame. I'll have to rectify that with the power of paint.
- The big T FOR TEEN in the bottom corner seriously hurts it.
- I still don't have anywhere to hang it.

Also, from Red Steel 2:

Click for high-res.

Anyone here actually frame screenshots? Concept art obviously works but I'm curious which games would be photogenic enough to be hung on a wall..

Acrylic7

Its very fun to do your own artwork

Its cool because nobody else has it. Been thinking about making a Ico poster myself.

Or a ff3-nes posters. The art for that game is amazing. Also Dragon Quarter BOF

KevinCow

Banned
Gully State said:
Anyone here actually frame screenshots? Concept art obviously works but I'm curious which games would be photogenic enough to be hung on a wall..

From DKCR, rendered in HD with Dolphin, HUD removed:

tD9Im.jpg

DXlCl.jpg

I have these as desktop wallpapers. I wouldn't mind hanging either of them up.

gunbo13

Nirolak said:
Godly GW2 artwork.
ANET is unmatched with their art for the main reason that their game actually lives up to the concepts.

Nirolak, do you have labels that tell you if any of the shots you have are new concepts for past areas? I'd like to see the updated versions for Lion's Arch and company. You can respond in the GW2 thread as to not derail on my account. Thx.

EDIT:
CT was also mentioned so I have to post the only really good piece IMO.
gang.jpg

http://www.1up.com/news/tgs-08-chrono-trigger-art

cluto

Acrylic7 said:
Its very fun to do your own artwork

Its cool because nobody else has it. Been thinking about making a Ico poster myself.
I want to do this because I have no money and good, high resolution game art is hard to come by, but I can't help but feel a little pretentious framing my own shit and hanging it on my wall.

Also, most people in this thread seem to not grasp the concept of "print quality", so most of the images in this thread or useless.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Azar said:
Here you go. It's a photoshop retouch of an artbook scan, so it's slightly changed from the original. I have it printed 12x16 I think.

Excellent. Thank you so much. Now to just find good place for printing. Anyone have an even higher-res version of the ico art in the first reply?

drkOne

HiddenSentry said:
I got the same thing on my wall. Looks fantastic.

Source I Used.
Can you upload it to something other than imgur, please?
They add some serious compression to images.
Use abload.de or zip it and use some other uploading service.
Thanks in advance.

Im redecorating my bed room soon and looking for great art from games to hang.

Currently i know im going to purchase prints of all the l4d 1 and 2 posters im looking for more, can anyone elaborate on a good printing method for some of these posted images?

StalkerUKCG said:
Currently i know im going to purchase prints of all the l4d 1 and 2 posters im looking for more, can anyone elaborate on a good printing method for some of these posted images?
I've never done this myself, but I would assume it's much like getting anything else printed.

If you have the software, convert the files from 72dpi to 300dpi, and change the color mode from RGB to CMYK. CMYK is print based, and RGB is light based, so colors will look really different when it comes from the printer since ink only has a fraction of the possible colors light does, if you don't change it.

Check google or the phonebook to see if you have any professional printers in the area, and bring them the file. If you don't have the software to make the changes, I'm sure they could work with you to get it set up really quick. Just be aware that there may be noticeable quality changes going from a web formatted sized (72) to a print formatted size (300). Also, make very certain what the actual dimensions are of the image, afterwards. You'll want to make sure it fits within a certain size you're after. If it's smaller/bigger than the paper format you're aiming for in any way, you can just fool around with cropping the image to get it correct.

If all else fails, I'm sure you could take it to kinkos and get a smaller version printed up for pretty cheap. Their larger prints start getting really expensive, so be sure to call around to local print shops before going there. Local printers will generally have the better prices, and, from my experience, much more helpful and willing to work with you.

If possible, try and give them an extra .25 inches on each side for them to crop on the paper. It'll give you a much more finished edge. If you don't want the actual image cropped, just expand the canvas size by .25 on each side, copy the edge of the image on that side, paste it, mirror it to the edge, and make sure it's aligned. It's a little cheap, but it shouldn't be noticeable at all after cropping it.
If you know how to set up crop marks or have the means to in your software, definitely do that for your printer. They'll love you for it.

dustin

Neo Member
If someone has a super awesome high res version of this, i will blow you.
2u5vvwp.jpg

As it is, the quality and size is more suited for a smaller print, but i want this to be the focal point of my new place. Halp <3

Rengoku

dustin said:
If someone has a super awesome high res version of this, i will blow you.
As it is, the quality and size is more suited for a smaller print, but i want this to be the focal point of my new place. Halp <3

That shouldn't be too hard to vector trace. I'll give it a shot when I get home. No blow necessary ;)

KevinCow said:
That T FOR TEEN still looks terrible, though.
You might consider buying some matte board, and just matting it, rather than framing it. That way you could crop off the "T - For Teen."

Give yourself a wide enough matte and you can cover it up, give it a nice border, and not have to fold/cut/anything to the actual poster.

Top Bottom