• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Is there some reason after this new update that Youtube videos refuse to become HD for me? They offer the option but when I click it doesn't change quality.

Lucifon

My chrome keeps hanging on GAF as of today, both at work and at home. I'll click a link and it'll sit there loading forever but still displaying the original page, clicking other links does nothing, refreshing the tab does nothing. Only fix is to close the tab, then reopen and try again. It keeps occurring at random. It's as if the tab becomes unresponsive, but it's only happening on GAF.

Any ideas?

ScOULaris

My chrome keeps hanging on GAF as of today, both at work and at home. I'll click a link and it'll sit there loading forever but still displaying the original page, clicking other links does nothing, refreshing the tab does nothing. Only fix is to close the tab, then reopen and try again. It keeps occurring at random. It's as if the tab becomes unresponsive, but it's only happening on GAF.

Any ideas?

It's GAF, not Chrome. It has been happening for everyone today. Probably server congestion or maintenance.

Croc

Banned
I've asked this here before but never got a response, so I'm trying again.

On my desktop (and only my desktop) whenever I quit out of Chrome and reopen it, it says it can't read my preferences, and then I get logged out and lose all tabs and everything I have open.

It's not a huuuge deal since I can just log back in and open all my tabs from History, but obviously that's still incredibly annoying. I'd just keep Chrome open all of the time but it really likes to hog my memory when left open for awhile and I ain't about that.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Avtomat

^Sounds like one of the settings files is corrupted, maybe a complete reinstall might help

HiRes youtube videos on my PC are now dropping frames all over the place, I am on Chrome Canary but video decode and rendering are accelerated and my laptop seems capable of handling the load so I am wondering if there is some setting in Chrome I am missing. Anyone dealt with a similar issue?

Croc

Banned
^Sounds like one of the settings files is corrupted, maybe a complete reinstall might help

Am I missing something when I'm uninstalling it? Because not only is it still happening, but after redownloading it when I open Chrome my favorites bar is there even though I'm not logged in.

pic

Croc

Banned
When you uninstall, check the box to delete your browsing data

yes! thank you.

I was afraid to check that because I was unsure if it would delete my history. I wanted my history because I had a lot of tabs open for various reasons, so I just ended up saving urls in a word document just in case, but I guess history is tied to account so it was fine anyways.

Here's a screenshot from today's canary. Let's see who is the first person to figure out what's special about this screenshot.

h51KBC9.png

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Still not seeing anything. My current UA on stable is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64)
AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko)
Chrome/32.0.1700.77 Safari/537.36

PaulLFC

WTF? Started Chrome, got a notification that YouTube Center had been disabled because it was "suspicious" and "may have been installed without your knowledge" - except it wasn't. I installed it. I know what it is. So I thought okay, let's re-enable it. Clicked 'Learn more'.

"Extensions that have been disabled are grayed out and you won't be able to re-enable them."

Oh, well, thanks for making that decision for me Google. Why on earth can't I re-enable it if I want to? The idea is right, the execution is terrible.

ScOULaris

WTF? Started Chrome, got a notification that YouTube Center had been disabled because it was "suspicious" and "may have been installed without your knowledge" - except it wasn't. I installed it. I know what it is. So I thought okay, let's re-enable it. Clicked 'Learn more'.

"Extensions that have been disabled are grayed out and you won't be able to re-enable them."

Oh, well, thanks for making that decision for me Google. Why on earth can't I re-enable it if I want to? The idea is right, the execution is terrible.
The new policy simply requires you to reinstall the extension through developer mode. Go to extensions, check the Developer Mode box, then drag the crx file into the window as usual. Extension reinstalled.

Weird.

Had a power outage last night so my computer got turned off. Turned it back on this morning, opened Chrome, and not only was my bookmarks bar gone (disabled, was able to put it back) but EVERY SINGLE extension was gone. And I don't mean gone like they were just disabled, everything was completely gone, deleted.

WTF

Hi gaf, can someone recommend to me a good tab organizing extension?

I really want a tag-stacking extension. I tend to keep like 20 plus tabs open and it gets a little ridiculous seeing all these tiny little tabs open.

Would also like a good youtube extension.

I'm asking because I'm (finally) switching from firefox.

Hi gaf, can someone recommend to me a good tab organizing extension?

I really want a tag-stacking extension. I tend to keep like 20 plus tabs open and it gets a little ridiculous seeing all these tiny little tabs open.

Would also like a good youtube extension.

I'm asking because I'm (finally) switching from firefox.

Chrome's extension model does not allow the same depth of customization as Firefox's. Because of that, you're not going to find any extension that deals with tab management, because extensions don't have any control over the tab strip.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Can I just say how much I despise the new scroll bar? It's fucking awful.

I hate how they removed the arrows. I used to use Chrome at work, where we have a web app that uses small list widgets with scroll bars. Having the arrows was very important for those widgets, and they're incredibly annoying to use without them. I got so fed up with it that I ended up switching to FireFox. I do not understand why Google decided to fix what was not broken.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I hate how they removed the arrows. I used to use Chrome at work, where we have a web app that uses small list widgets with scroll bars. Having the arrows was very important for those widgets, and they're incredibly annoying to use without them. I got so fed up with it that I ended up switching to FireFox. I do not understand why Google decided to fix what was not broken.

The arrows are coming back.

Arrows are coming back to Chrome on Windows (Chrome OS will remain arrow-less.)

scrollbars+%25281%2529.png

Looks even flatter (and fatter) to boot.

Echoplx

Looks like there's no way to use the old new tab page now :/

And when did they add the master password protection to the the password manager?

Looks like there's no way to use the old new tab page now :/

And when did they add the master password protection to the the password manager?

They didn't add master password, instead they force you to authenticate with your Windows user account, which is better than a master password (which, incidentally, is actually a bad thing).

The difference is subtle, yet huge. By using "master password" similar to what firefox uses, your passwords are unencrypted on disk, and if someone were to ever find your hard drive in a junkyard, or steal your computer, your passwords would be visible in plaintext. Chrome has always used the OS Credential Store, which encrypts passwords with your OS User Account credentials, so nobody would ever be able to extract your passwords with an offline attack. What people apparently wanted was a way to prevent these so called "crime of opportunity attacks" (whatever that is) where someone steps away from their computer for 5 minutes, and so rather than making you remember a second password which was, for all intents and purposes, completely useless from an actual security standpoint, they use your OS password.

I still think they should have done nothing. If you want to secure your passwords from these opportunisitic attacks, then you should also be worried about securing all the data on your computer from the same attacks, and you should lock your workstation when you get up to leave. If other people need to use the computer, create a Guest account.

What the hell did they do to Chrome 33? Just got updated and whenever I start Chrome I get notified that adblock and lastpass extensions has both crashed and I get the "aw snap" page for pretty much any site I try to open. Both were installed from the official chrome extensions site.

For now I'm trying out Firefox for the first time in years. So far it's not crashing any extensions

Chrome 32/33 no longer supports the Custom.css file.

I used it to change all instances of Helvetica to Arial because Helvetica looks crap at small sizes when it isn't on a retina screen.

Anyone have another solution or extension that can change fonts globally? I saw things like Stylish and Style Bot but they only work on a page-by-page basis.

Baconbitz

Banned
Why did they do this? I loved having my recently closed tabs come up if I had to close chrome. Now, I can't. There is no work around. They completely removed it. Wtf, google?

ScOULaris

Latest Chrome stable update for Android is really nice. They got rid of that small touchscreen response delay on mobile-optimized sites. Feels noticeably snappier on MobileGAF.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Those worried about sideloaded extensions in Chrome for Windows:

http://blog.chromium.org/2014/02/make-sure-to-get-your-extension-in.html

Some developers have requested more time to complete this transition, so we've decided to extend the window until May 1 before we start enforcing this policy for the Windows Stable channel. As a reminder this policy will only apply to Windows Beta and Stable channel users. You can continue to use off-store extensions on Windows Dev and Canary, as well as on Mac, Linux and Chrome OS. Developer and enterprise policy use cases are similarly unaffected.

https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/developers/extensions-deployment-faq

Unlike modern mobile operating systems, Windows does not sandbox applications. Hence we wouldn’t be able to differentiate between a user opting in to this setting versus a malicious native app overriding the user’s setting.

KuGsj.gif
Nice dig.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Most visited pages behaving weird for anyone else?

The 2 pages that have been my top 2 since ever have been dropping down the list for no reason, behind pages I haven't even visited lately. They've even dropped off completely and I have had to remove the pages that take their place. Kinda annoying actually.

m14

Yesterday Chrome deleted my last 90 days history by itself. Not having any other issue with it but has this history deletion happened to anyone else and is there any viable way of recovering it?

If I search the history I can find entries from 6th of December and before, but nothing since. Bookmarks etc are all intact.

How does google drive work? I'm getting a new laptop soon and was wondering do all my documents need to be in "my drive" or "google drive" or both for me to access them once I get my new laptop?

How does google drive work? I'm getting a new laptop soon and was wondering do all my documents need to be in "my drive" or "google drive" or both for me to access them once I get my new laptop?
You upload your documents to Google Drive and then you can access those files from any computer by just logging onto your Google account.

Deques

Yes...

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/win7-scrollbars/cifcnoebhbpdndjendfkpehpfbglgfkc

If you had told me three years ago that I would need to install an extension to bring back stock shell elements in Chrome I would have punched you in the face.

Chrome's scrollbar is a design flaw... Glad that there is an addon that brings back the old school scrollbar

Old-style scrollbars are back in M34, by the way.

It's coming back? Great!

It's coming back? Great!

Just to be clear, it still uses the ChromeOS look for the scrollbar, but it respects the system's scrollbar width, and puts arrows at the top and bottom. It looks like this on my current browser:

Y0WDELU.png

Should please most people, but naturally there will be some people who still want the original Win7 themed scrollbars.

So, anyone else having trouble with Chrome remember tabs lately? It's been shit for me. When I try to sync tabs from my laptop to mobile or vise verse, it always says "last synced 3 days ago" or something like that and I don't know of any way to manually make it resync. In addition, when Chrome closes or crashes and offers to restore my session, it never brings up my last session's tabs. It always at least a few days old.

Top Bottom