• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

I like Minimalist for Everything.

Why not just use Stylish? It saves them locally from userscripts. Advantage is you can make customizations.
Wasn't aware there were better alternatives! I'm just getting into the whole userscripts thing so I don't really know much about it. I'm really only interested in one: Apple Trailer Download HD+ (Here's the userstyles page if it ever comes back up: userscripts.org/scripts/show/169119). It looks like it requires two other scripts which it loads remotely and that's the hangup. The point of the script is to be able to download QuickTime movie trailers as I like to throw them in Plex to watch on my Wii U. Apple removed the functionality quite some time ago even with QT Pro (which I bought years ago specifically to download / "full screen" QT), which stinks.

Chris R

Is there an extension like ABP that blocks certain file extensions? I'd love to prevent .gif from loading with E3 around the corner. I tried using whatever greasemonkey clone chrome has but it just "hid" elements instead of blocking them from loading entirely.

Pics_nao

Don't know what the hell happened in the last few hours but now seeing anything on Chrome is incredibly difficult on my Surface Pro. Dunno why and I've zoomed in to 150% and it's still hard to see anything. Anyone knows what's causing it?

Altazor

So I upgraded to version 35.0.1916.114 m and suddenly Chrome uses 20-25% more RAM than with the previous version... and I have LESS tabs open than before.

Anybody else with the same "problem"? Should I just DOWNLOAD MORE RAM from all of the internets?

EDIT: never-fuckin'-mind. I just restarted Chrome (a second time after the usual restarting-after-updating) and now it works fine.

Kabuto

So I upgraded to version 35.0.1916.114 m and suddenly Chrome uses 20-25% more RAM than with the previous version... and I have LESS tabs open than before.

Anybody else with the same "problem"? Should I just DOWNLOAD MORE RAM from all of the internets?

EDIT: never-fuckin'-mind. I just restarted Chrome (a second time after the usual restarting-after-updating) and now it works fine.

welp I was playing Battlefield 4 with a Chrome Window open and it was using 40%(!) of my memory. I'm going back to Cyberfox for now until this is fixed.

OatmealMu

I'm not sure what the latest release did, but it's not getting along with Pinterest. My Pinterest tabs are crashing left and right. And when I refresh the page the scroll bar no longer works properly: I can no longer drag it with my mouse, only the arrow keys do anything.

This is probably a dumb question, but every time I load up Chrome it asks me to sign into my account. I did re-install Chrome some time last week, and I have been trying to figure out how to auto login like it did previously. Anyone have any idea if there is a auto login feature that I'm missing?

DonMigs85

This is probably a dumb question, but every time I load up Chrome it asks me to sign into my account. I did re-install Chrome some time last week, and I have been trying to figure out how to auto login like it did previously. Anyone have any idea if there is a auto login feature that I'm missing?

you sure you don't have another program that auto-deletes browser cookies or something? or maybe Chrome is set to clear everything on exit?

Yeah I checked my anti-virus and firewall settings, and there was nothing that jumped out to me which would block my auto-login, so I have no clue!

I've been having strange Chrome sync issues for months which still aren't resolved. No matter what I do (I've tried seemingly every step on the internet from clearing my sync dashboard, logging out, logging in, reinstalling Chrome on every computer, etc) I can't get my tabs to sync across all my devices. Very frustrating.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I checked my anti-virus and firewall settings, and there was nothing that jumped out to me which would block my auto-login, so I have no clue!

try uninstalling again and delete the chrome directory. on Windows it's in

Code:
%localappdata%\Google\

--

Submarino Conversível;113760691 said:
Chrome will start to block extensions installed outside of the Chrome Store AND to disable the ones you already have installed from other sources.

I tought they already did this?

They were blocking user scripts for a while. I guess it's now everything not on the store.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is there an extension like ABP that blocks certain file extensions? I'd love to prevent .gif from loading with E3 around the corner. I tried using whatever greasemonkey clone chrome has but it just "hid" elements instead of blocking them from loading entirely.

Seconded ;_;

Everytime I reboot my PC (wich isn't often) my Chrome is unable to save my last session. I usually leave lots of tabs open, so this bothers me a lot since I aways forget that this happens and don't save them.

OatmealMu

Submarino Conversível;113988607 said:
Everytime I reboot my PC (wich isn't often) my Chrome is unable to save my last session. I usually leave lots of tabs open, so this bothers me a lot since I aways forget that this happens and don't save them.

I use Session Manager in case something happens with Chromes' built-in manager. And unlike vanilla Chrome, Session Manager can save multiple windows instead of just one. I have sessions dating back two years that I can load up if I want to.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
64-bit Chrome

http://blog.chromium.org/2014/06/try-out-new-64-bit-windows-canary-and.html

Today we’re announcing the addition of 64-bit support to Chrome, with two brand new 64-bit Dev and Canary channels for Windows 7 and 8 users, giving a faster and more secure browsing experience. To try it out, download the 64-bit installer from our Canary or Dev download pages. The new version replaces the existing version while preserving all your settings and bookmarks, so there’s no need to uninstall a current installation of Chrome.

The majority of our users on Windows 7 or higher now have systems capable of running 64-bit applications, and this version of Chrome can take full advantage of these newer capabilities. This includes several improvements that align perfectly with Chrome’s core principles of speed, security and stability:

Speed: 64-bit allows us to take advantage of the latest processor and compiler optimizations, a more modern instruction set, and a calling convention that allows more function parameters to be passed quickly by registers. As a result, speed is improved, especially in graphics and multimedia content, where we see an average 25% improvement in performance.

Security: With Chrome able to take advantage of the latest OS features such as High Entropy ASLR on Windows 8, security is improved on 64-bit platforms as well. Those extra bits also help us better defend against exploitation techniques such as JIT spraying, and improve the effectiveness of our existing security defense features like heap partitioning.

Stability: Finally, we’ve observed a marked increase in stability for 64-bit Chrome over 32-bit Chrome. In particular, crash rates for the the renderer process (i.e. web content process) are almost half that of 32-bit Chrome.​

We encourage all our users, especially developers, to give the new 64-bit Chrome a spin, and we’re looking forward to hearing your feedback so we can make 64-bit Chrome work great and bring its benefits to our Beta and Stable channel users.

Download: Canary / Dev (if you're not sure you probably want Dev)

Anyone else having this issue with Chrome running in Full Screen Mode on Windows 8.1?

JWIqCov.png

If you ever try to do the thing where you snap the app to half the screen, suddenly, the app shrinks into this light blue border and I can't make it full screen again. I've only seen it happen with Chrome before. I can't control the size of the blue box, either, so some part of chrome is always off the screen now. I don't know how to fix it.

Anyone else having this issue with Chrome running in Full Screen Mode on Windows 8.1?

JWIqCov.png

If you ever try to do the thing where you snap the app to half the screen, suddenly, the app shrinks into this light blue border and I can't make it full screen again. I've only seen it happen with Chrome before. I can't control the size of the blue box, either, so some part of chrome is always off the screen now. I don't know how to fix it.

Are you on a High DPI display by chance?

Are you on a High DPI display by chance?

Hmmm. I don't know. I don't think so. I'm just on a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop.

I should mention that Chrome normally doesn't look like that on full screen. It's normally fine, but if you attempt to snap the app to the side, the problem happens. It's frustrating, because that's easy to accidentally do in Windows 8, and the only way to fix it is to end the task and restart Chrome.

Hmmm. I don't know. I don't think so. I'm just on a Dell Inspiron 15R Laptop.

I should mention that Chrome normally doesn't look like that on full screen. It's normally fine, but if you attempt to snap the app to the side, the problem happens. It's frustrating, because that's easy to accidentally do in Windows 8, and the only way to fix it is to end the task and restart Chrome.

Sounds like a pretty annoying bug, can you file something about it at crbug.com?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
So is there a fix yet for that annoying search bar in the New Tab page? I tried using it since it's there, but it switches the text as I'm typing into the Omni bar, which is really jarring. Why have it there if I'm not supposed to use it? If I'm not supposed to use it, why have it crush my thumbnails?

Quick

Banned
So is there a fix yet for that annoying search bar in the New Tab page? I tried using it since it's there, but it switches the text as I'm typing into the Omni bar, which is really jarring. Why have it there if I'm not supposed to use it? If I'm not supposed to use it, why have it crush my thumbnails?

Yeah, I hate this. I'm so used to just going to google.com anyway, so it's not such a big deal.

I have my omni bar set to Feeling Lucky, so I can't do search queries on it.

Like it or not, unfortunately it's there to stay. It's not broken, it's intentionally designed to make you search from the Omnibox.

I'm not saying I like it, I'm just saying this issue has been discussed to the ends of the earth among the developers, and it's been decided that it's working as intended.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Like it or not, unfortunately it's there to stay. It's not broken, it's intentionally designed to make you search from the Omnibox.

I'm not saying I like it, I'm just saying this issue has been discussed to the ends of the earth among the developers, and it's been decided that it's working as intended.
I understand that the jarring jump to the omnibox is the intent, but that makes the search bar a useless, ugly, annoying encumbrance to me, that squashes my thumbnails and moves them out of my direct line of sight when opening a new tab. I know the Google developers aren't getting rid of it, I was wondering if the community has found a way.

Is it redundant to have both Adblock Plus and Ghostery installed?

No. They both do two separate functions. Adblock blocks ads, Ghostery (I personally use Disconnect) blocks tracking cookies. That said, a lot of ads are tracking devices behind the scene. It's okay to have both.

I understand that the jarring jump to the omnibox is the intent, but that makes the search bar a useless, ugly, annoying encumbrance to me, that squashes my thumbnails and moves them out of my direct line of sight when opening a new tab. I know the Google developers aren't getting rid of it, I was wondering if the community has found a way.

There are some NTP replacement extensions, don't have any names handy though.

Quick

Banned
No. They both do two separate functions. Adblock blocks ads, Ghostery (I personally use Disconnect) blocks tracking cookies. That said, a lot of ads are tracking devices behind the scene. It's okay to have both.

Thanks. I did Google, but I really just wanted a straight answer.

Palom

I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out: I'm looking for a way to output two different Chrome tabs through two different audio devices, using Windows 8.1.

Namely, I have a tab open on my TV that is watching a video stream and outputting audio through my stereo. I would like to have a different tab open on my other monitor that outputs audio through my headphones.

Is there any way to accomplish this?

I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out: I'm looking for a way to output two different Chrome tabs through two different audio devices, using Windows 8.1.

Namely, I have a tab open on my TV that is watching a video stream and outputting audio through my stereo. I would like to have a different tab open on my other monitor that outputs audio through my headphones.

Is there any way to accomplish this?

Only way I think is to install Chrome and Chrome Canary side by side, but I'm not even sure if that will work. I think Chrome always uses the default audio device.

Reszo

dude wtf chrome just blocked all my extensions that I installed manually/not from the store and it's not letting my re-enable them -_-

swecide

Banned
Is there a way to force chrome to autoplay a html5 embedded video? I've done a ton of google searching but I can't find a flag for it. I was hoping someone in here might know a way around this, some kind of userscript or something.

I know that autoplay is bad practice but for this particular set up I really need it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm about at the point that I'm going to switch from Chrome because of this. The third party extension lockout had me downloading tampermonkey to try to get some things working again. I tried, nad it froze up halfway through. Ever since then, every single site under google runs like complete dogshit. It's only google sites, and it's only chrome as everything loads just fine under IE. But Youtube videos take like 3 minutes to start up and constantly buffer. Google image searches pretty much don't work because they stop loading.

I reinstalled tampermonkey then uninstalled. Still having issues. Reset browsing data. Still having issues. I've checked my proxy settings, and there's nothing out of the ordinary. Any ideas?

PaulLFC

Sorry for the bump but I didn't want to create a new thread just for this.

Has Chrome stopped showing URLs on hover for anyone else? I don't know if an update broke it or not, but whenever I hover over a link now I don't get the URL displayed at the bottom left of the screen. I've tried stable (v35) and Beta (v36) - might try dev and canary now to see if that fixes the issue but it really shouldn't be something that requires a dev build.

Hopefully it's an easy fix and not another thing Google has forcibly disabled, like custom extensions - because if they have, that's idiotic.

Deques

Sorry for the bump but I didn't want to create a new thread just for this.

Has Chrome stopped showing URLs on hover for anyone else? I don't know if an update broke it or not, but whenever I hover over a link now I don't get the URL displayed at the bottom left of the screen. I've tried stable (v35) and Beta (v36) - might try dev and canary now to see if that fixes the issue but it really shouldn't be something that requires a dev build.

Hopefully it's an easy fix and not another thing Google has forcibly disabled, like custom extensions - because if they have, that's idiotic.

It still shows the url for me.
It would be very risky to not show the urls at all and I think Google would want to put you to such risk.
What I mean is that scammers can put whatever url they want to lure you to think that it's a genuine site, if the url didn't show up

PaulLFC

It still shows the url for me.
It would be very risky to not show the urls at all and I think Google would want to put you to such risk.
What I mean is that scammers can put whatever url they want to lure you to think that it's a genuine site, if the url didn't show up
Yeah, that's why I was surprised, if this was a widespread change the potential for viruses or scams would go up massively.

I tried Chrome Canary and that seems to show the URLs again - don't know why stable and dev aren't, I tried disabling all extensions but that didn't help.

Nymerio

I've had it randomly not show urls for a while now. Sometimes it just doesn't work on a page and when I try it again later it works again. Bugged perhaps?

Top Bottom