• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
There's an old bug related to hardware acceleration that caused issues like this. It used to happen to me a few months ago on stable.

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers?

You could also try disabling hardware acceleration and see if that fixes it.

uncheck "use hardware acceleration" here -> chrome://settings/search#hardware%20acceleration

it might be something else though. idk.

PaulLFC

There's an old bug related to hardware acceleration that caused issues like this. It used to happen to me a few months ago on stable.

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers?

You could also try disabling hardware acceleration and see if that fixes it.

uncheck "use hardware acceleration" here -> chrome://settings/search#hardware%20acceleration

it might be something else though. idk.
I tried disabling hardware acceleration but it didn't fix the issue unfortunately. Strangely it will sometimes display a link if the page has just been loaded, but then stop displaying any links. That was what made me think it was an extension, but disabling all of them didn't help.

Strangely it works fine on my work PC, so I'll try updating graphics drivers tonight (I think they're up to date but I'll check) and see if that helps.

OatmealMu

Getting really tempted to switch back to Chrome. I've been using Firefox for a few weeks now. Versus Chrome it definitely lacks polish which I can handle. What isn't cool, however, is the comparatively poor stability of Firefox. It crashes more and, unlike Chrome, a crash takes the entire thing down. And then there's the random glitches that require a restart. I just wish Chrome fared better on Pinterest and had a robust tab handling extension.

Sanjuro

Chrome on OSX has been broken for me for a while now.

Not sure if anyone else has run into this, but after a short duration the right click and copy/paste commands no longer work. There might be other issues, those are what I've discovered. It's affected versions 36-38.

Not sure if anyone else has run into this, but after a short duration the right click and copy/paste commands no longer work. There might be other issues, those are what I've discovered. It's affected versions 36-38.

This sounds suspiciously like an extension bug. Run with an empty profile and/or all extensions disabled.

Ayumi

Are these problems still there if you use Incognito mode? (If not, it could be related to your extensions or Google profile.) Does the keyboard shortcuts for copy/paste still work?

Sanjuro

I'll try both of those things and get back to you. I don't use a ton of extensions, but none I couldn't live without.

I always like to think Chrome OSX is kind of a second class citizen. Windows version has always felt smooth as butter, as many things do.

Ayumi

I'll try both of those things and get back to you. I don't use a ton of extensions, but none I couldn't live without.

I always like to think Chrome OSX is kind of a second class citizen. Windows version has always felt smooth as butter, as many things do.

Although I really like Chrome, I agree with you. Have to use Safari for certain things that require Java, and the browser isn't as smooth as on Windows.

No dice. Deleted user, removed all extensions. Same issue occurs.

Does it affect everywhere in chrome? For example, does it happen in the Omnibox, and in text entry fields on the settings page, as well as in websites like writing a message? Or only some of those?

Megasoum

Banned
Anybody knows a good Twitter chrome extension?

I used Silverbird for the longuest time. It's been mostly fine but starting today, I have no idea why, but since I restarted Chrome (I almost never close it normally) the silverbird window now automatically resize everytime I open it. So I click on the bird and the feed pop-up at a good size and then slowly get smaller and smaller....

I noticed that somebody made a "Silverbird Plus" extension so I installed it. Looks all right too but it won't remember the window's size and the editbox size so everytime I click on the icon I get a super small feed window and no matter how many times I resize it it never save the new size.... Fucking annoying...

So yeah, any suggestion?

I use Tweetdeck at home and love it but it's blocked at work.

Anybody knows a good Twitter chrome extension?

I used Silverbird for the longuest time. It's been mostly fine but starting today, I have no idea why, but since I restarted Chrome (I almost never close it normally) the silverbird window now automatically resize everytime I open it. So I click on the bird and the feed pop-up at a good size and then slowly get smaller and smaller....

I noticed that somebody made a "Silverbird Plus" extension so I installed it. Looks all right too but it won't remember the window's size and the editbox size so everytime I click on the icon I get a super small feed window and no matter how many times I resize it it never save the new size.... Fucking annoying...

So yeah, any suggestion?

I use Tweetdeck at home and love it but it's blocked at work.

Some friends use Notifier for Chrome and like it well enough. Might be worth a try.

Groof

So I can't install 64-bit chrome on windows 8.1. It installs but it is unusable. The icon blinks and disappears immediately, nothing happens. I've tried uninstalling and deleting everything related to chrome I could find, but it hasn't helped. I've even tried running as administrator. Installing 32-bit works with no issue though.

Anyone got any ideas?

DonMigs85

So I can't install 64-bit chrome on windows 8.1. It installs but it is unusable. The icon blinks and disappears immediately, nothing happens. I've tried uninstalling and deleting everything related to chrome I could find, but it hasn't helped. I've even tried running as administrator. Installing 32-bit works with no issue though.

Anyone got any ideas?

Strange, 64-bit works just fine on my Lenovo Thinkpad Edge running 8.1 Single Language.
Maybe try a full uninstall then reinstall the beta?

Also one thing I noticed with the recent version 38 beta update is that all my computers get lower Sunspider 1.0.2 scores...

Groof

Strange, 64-bit works just fine on my Lenovo Thinkpad Edge running 8.1 Single Language.
Maybe try a full uninstall then reinstall the beta?

Also one thing I noticed with the recent version 38 beta update is that all my computers get lower Sunspider 1.0.2 scores...
I solved the issue, forgot to update my post. Seemed to have been some malware that had gotten in the way and prevented it from launching. First time I've had proper malware in years :S

Articalys

Apologies if this has been asked before, but is there any decent cookie manager extension for Chrome? The default one is terrible.

Divius

Did chrome just change their standard font and/or font rendering? Everything looks different from before, it's weird X_X

raven777

Is anyone else's chrome (desktop version) really slow recently?

Mine got really slow since today morning. Just opening of the browser,minimizing and maximizing, switching tabs, and everything seems to react slower than it used to. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it but it has same problem. I don't know if it's problem with the latest update or my PC.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
My new tab page isn't showing my most visited thumbnails any more, has this happened to anyone else? It's annoying if Google got rid of them, they're part of the reason I switched to Chrome in the first place.

I'm digging the looks of the update on Chrome for Android, but uh... where the fuck is my refresh button? Do I really have to go into the menu whenever I want to refresh a page?

My new tab page isn't showing my most visited thumbnails any more, has this happened to anyone else? It's annoying if Google got rid of them, they're part of the reason I switched to Chrome in the first place.

It is still showing up for me on both android and windows.

DTKT

Is anyone else's chrome (desktop version) really slow recently?

Mine got really slow since today morning. Just opening of the browser,minimizing and maximizing, switching tabs, and everything seems to react slower than it used to. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it but it has same problem. I don't know if it's problem with the latest update or my PC.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Same issue here. Opening and closing of tabs takes a few seconds. It seems they broke quite a lot of things with the new update.

Ugh

:edit: Yeah, it's definitely a bookmarks issue. I must have 1k+ bookmarks and when I remove everything, it goes back to being quite snappy.
:edit2: I fixed by updating to the latest beta version : https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/beta.html?platform=win

Bgamer90

Banned
I like some of the changes but now everything on this site is in bold font for me.

Edit: Alright, never mind. Just figured out how to fix it.

Spinluck

For the past month or so my browser has been hijacked by this shitty crap on startup and it no longer leaves off where I closed it. Instead I get a bunch of search engines that I do not use "trovi" and "snapdo", and none of my anti malware/virus/spyware protection software seems to be able to remove it.

Anyone know a solution?

DeSo

Banned
Is there a way to get Firefox's live bookmarks on Chrome? Some similar alternative option? Haven't found anything.

SimleuqiR

http://9to5google.com/2014/10/09/google-announces-new-hangouts-app-for-windows-and-chrome-os-users/

1280-2014-9-7-at-16-21-43.png

Zeppu

What a bunch of wankers. I've been waiting for them to enable the window alpha permission for months so I could implement an app version of my extension which would essentially provide a very similar design to that one.

After I saw about this hangouts release I assumed that the permission had gone out from experimental onto the stable channel. Turns out it still hasn't. They're using a ton of non publicly available APIs and then using a key to somehow bypass them on Chrome. If I copy the key to the manifest of my app all permissions are granted, no question asked.

Damn you googy.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Part of the reason that I switched to Chrome was that it was pretty simple and intuitive, besides having features that I liked. Really, the thing that I like the most was the New Tab page. When they added the search bar to the New Tab page it really irritated me, and I asked here if anyone knew of a workaround. The only option it seemed was to download a plugin, and I didn't really want to bog down my browser with extra software.

But as the months have gone on, I've realized that Google is never going to get rid of that horrid search bar on the new tab page, so I downloaded New Tab Reloaded (Extended). Immediately I liked the lack of a big ugly search bar, but it was replaced with a some kind of bar at the bottom. A big, ugly gray thing with three links I'm never going to use. It also has a section taking up the entire right portion of the screen which takes me to a page called Apps which I'm never going to use.

So does anyone know of an extension for the New Tab page that's just my eight Most Viewed thumbnails? I don't want anything extra on it, I don't use any of that stuff and don't really want to see it. If it was set up so that I could pin those thumbnails that would be a plus. I just want it to be as simple as it can be.

rossonero

I suddenly got something weird next to my minimize-icon. It says "first user" and you can press on it and have a profile photo, switch users and go incognito. Why the hell is it there?

The Chrome version is 39.0.2171.65 dev-m

oneils

Anyone here know of a decent dark theme for chrome. Something similar to what neogaf has? All of the ones I have tried use pitch black instead different shades of grey.

I suddenly got something weird next to my minimize-icon. It says "first user" and you can press on it and have a profile photo, switch users and go incognito. Why the hell is it there?

The Chrome version is 39.0.2171.65 dev-m

It's the new user switcher. It used to be that you could create multiple chrome "users", and each one would have a different profile, cache, saved passwords, etc. Great feature for households with multiple people that shared a single computer. But most people didn't know about it and it was under utilized.

Previously, if you had multiple users, you would see a little avatar icon to the left of your leftmost tab, and clicking that would drop down a little bubble that would you let you change the active user on the fly. That has been moved to the place you see now, and I believe it now shows even if you are the only user, due to the addition of allowing you to go incognito. This is another useful feature that most people didn't know about or didn't understand, so they are trying to increase its visibility to make more people aware of it.

nataku

So I've got this weird clicking noise playing randomly when Chrome is open, and I have no idea what it could possibly be.

There's no pattern to it and it doesn't play on specific websites or when viewing specific types of content, like flash. There has been several times where I'm away from my computer making food or something and I'll hear it go off. Or Chrome will be open in the background while I'm playing a game and it'll play the sound.

I've tried using something like process monitor to see if it's a .wav file playing, but I haven't been able to see anything even sound related during the time it plays.

It's not a system sound, either. It's very loud, even when I have system sounds almost muted. I went through every system sound file and listened to them all, and none sound like it.

I have a recording of it I made. I uploaded to to google drive, but I've never shared a file via that so I don't know if you'll be able to listen to it properly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By0GmFMYJCYJNC1RakNpQjRiQkk/view?usp=sharing

Top Bottom