• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2015 |OT| Other M

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollipen

Sorry if this has already been answered (I couldn't find it if it was), but a standard human who is not a photography expert, how do I know what 16mp means in terms of my photos? Is there like a hard resolution that equates to? Resolution + dpi? I want to take example photos into Photoshop and check to see how they relate to 16mp, which is a totally meaningless designation to me.

SliChillax

Sorry if this has already been answered (I couldn't find it if it was), but a standard human who is not a photography expert, how do I know what 16mp means in terms of my photos? Is there like a hard resolution that equates to? Resolution + dpi? I want to take example photos into Photoshop and check to see how they relate to 16mp, which is a totally meaningless designation to me.

MP is just the size of the picture, it has nothing to do with how the lighting, colors, dynamic range work. See for example the HTC One M9 has a 20mp camera which is incredibly worse than the 16mp cameras on the Galaxy S6 and LG G4. Image processing is important, sensor, aperture etc. I'm not a camera expert myself, these are the basic stuff you need to know in order to look for a good camera. Never think that the highest megapixel is the best.

Edit: Also for photoshop editing, it is important to take pictures in raw format so you can easily edit them without artifacts and such.

Does anyone know if there's a way to train or correct the Photos app when it's trying to find people or things? I see so many mistakes and it's kinda irritating that I can't find a way to fix or remove them.

16 MP is 5312x2988

MP is just the size of the picture, it has nothing to do with how the lighting, colors, dynamic range work. See for example the HTC One M9 has a 20mp camera which is incredibly worse than the 16mp cameras on the Galaxy S6 and LG G4. Image processing is important, sensor, aperture etc. I'm not a camera expert myself, these are the basic stuff you need to know in order to look for a good camera. Never think that the highest megapixel is the best.

Edit: Also for photoshop editing, it is important to take pictures in raw format so you can easily edit them without artifacts and such.

Not what he was asking at all.

GatorBait

In the new Photos app, do uploaded photos get automatically auto-awesomed like before? To clarify, I mean just the normal image enhancement. I can't really tell because I don't see that icon that let's you compare the auto-awesomed picture against the original.

3phemeral

In the new Photos app, do uploaded photos get automatically auto-awesomed like before? To clarify, I mean just the normal image enhancement. I can't really tell because I don't see that icon that let's you compare the auto-awesomed picture against the original.
In Photos, there's a section called "Assistant" that displays cards like Google Now which will showcase recently made AutoAwesome pictures. As far as I can tell, they only AutoAwesome pictures that would normally be selected as part of your Highlights, ie, algorithmically selected as being a "good picture."

For standard enhancement, I think it depends on your Google Plus settings. Since Google+ now takes you to Photos.Google.com, I would imagine so.

Hibbrearg

Neo Member
Does anyone know if there's a way to train or correct the Photos app when it's trying to find people or things? I see so many mistakes and it's kinda irritating that I can't find a way to fix or remove them.

When you open one of the folders, click on the overflow button in the top right corner. Then click on "Remove results", select the pictures that don't fit the category and click on "Remove" on the top right corner again.

Does it support hotlinked images or direct URLs to your images? I use Dropbox to store my GIFs because it's one of the few cloud services I can hotlink from.

3phemeral

When you open one of the folders, click on the overflow button in the top right corner. Then click on "Remove results", select the pictures that don't fit the category and click on "Remove" on the top right corner again.
Sweet! Have to satisfy my neurotic need for everything to be properly categorized!

Does it support hotlinked images or direct URLs to your images? I use Dropbox to store my GIFs because it's one of the few cloud services I can hotlink from.
You can't within the new photos app. I used to be able to:

View Album > Image/Gif > Drag Image/Gif to new window > Copy URL​

And then you could take the URL from there. But now when you do that, it only allows you to see the thumbnail version, which isn't a direct link and thus, will eventually be purged. That means your link will eventually be broken.

One way around this is to post the images in Google+ so only you can see them, then follow the above directions and embed the URL in IMG tags.

-----

Demo of M's split keyboard and multi-window support.

hohoXD123

Anyone else excited about Google ATAP's Project Soli?
I think it will be buying it when the devkit releases.
It could be what finally elevates smartwatches from being a pointless smartphone accessory in many people's minds. Combining it with their internet of things system should be very interesting.

GatorBait

In Photos, there's a section called "Assistant" that displays cards like Google Now which will showcase recently made AutoAwesome pictures. As far as I can tell, they only AutoAwesome pictures that would normally be selected as part of your Highlights, ie, algorithmically selected as being a "good picture."

For standard enhancement, I think it depends on your Google Plus settings. Since Google+ now takes you to Photos.Google.com, I would imagine so.

That would be my assumption, too. My guess is that it is a feature that is still under the hood, but the user-facing portions of it haven't made their way to the new Photos site/app yet. Maybe I'll mess around with it a little bit today and see if I can figure out a definitive answer.

xJavonta

Banned
Not getting the faces option. I'm in the U.S. too. Does it have to do with none of my friends or family having Google+ accounts?

bob page

I'm having trouble getting my photos showing up when copied in manually. When I first enabled it a while back it created a Drive folder called Google Photos in the root directory. All my phone photos have been auto backing up in there fine, but I also just manually created folders in there for past years and pasted in my collection from my DSLR. Aren't these supposed to show up in the app? At first I thought it might take a bit to sync the several thousand new photos but after several days nothing appears.

Or do I have to reupload everything using the desktop uploader instead of just copying it through Drive?

Polari

New Photos app offers me places and things, but not people (even though I have tons of pictures of the same people). Any ideas?

New Photos app offers me places and things, but not people (even though I have tons of pictures of the same people). Any ideas?
I think the people categorization takes a while. Took a day after mass uploading for that to show up for me. More stuff shows up after time.

I'm currently uploading everything to Google Photos from iPhoto on my Mac. Once that's done and I enable backup and sync on my iPhone, how is it going to deal with the fact that I have all of the same photos in iCloud? Will it realise they're duplicates and don't need to be uploaded or is it going to shit the bed and upload everything again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom