• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2015 |OT| Other M

Status
Not open for further replies.
SmjABLCl.jpg

Not bad Google Photos, not bad.

rizzo0

I'm confused with uploading photos to this service. If all I have are old iPhone photos....Shouldn't I just pick original because all of the photos are well below 16 megapixels? Yet when I do this, I'm still getting hit against my storage.

I love all of the organization and search features but for full res backups, I'm still feeling like onedrive is still the one to beat unless I'm doing it all wrong?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Unlimited free storage of photos up to 16 MP with unnoticeable quality loss is probably the best single thing to come out of this (previously you only had unlimted storage for photos up to 2048x2048). No reason to upload in original quality now, at least not from a phone.

Now, is there any way to find the photos I've already uploaded in original quality, download them, delete them, and upload them again so that I can get that storage back (not that it's very much, would just be nice)?

I'm confused with uploading photos to this service. If all I have are old iPhone photos....Shouldn't I just pick original because all of the photos are well below 16 megapixels? Yet when I do this, I'm still getting hit against my storage.

I love all of the organization and search features but for full res backups, I'm still feeling like onedrive is still the one to beat unless I'm doing it all wrong?

No. If you choose original all uploads will count against your storage, no matter how large the photos are. Neither their size nor quality is touched with this setting. If you choose high quality they'll be slightly compressed (but it seems unnoticeable to me), and any photos larger than 16 MP will be downsized, but you have unlimited storage.

Kuros

The unlimited option compresses the photos even under 16MP. The difference is minimal but it's still there.

The only way to get fully uncompressed (even with under 16MP) is to use the original option but that will count against you.

Personally i have about 40gig free google drive due to promo's and filling in questionnaires so i'm going to stick with it original.

operon

Unlimited free storage of photos up to 16 MP with unnoticeable quality loss is probably the best single thing to come out of this (previously you only had unlimted storage for photos up to 2048x2048). No reason to upload in original quality now, at least not from a phone.

Now, is there any way to find the photos I've already uploaded in original quality, download them, delete them, and upload them again so that I can get that storage back (not that it's very much, woud just be nice)?

No. If you choose original all uploads will count against your storage, no matter how large the photos are. Neither their size nor quality is touched with this setting. If you choose high quality they'll be slightly compressed (but it seems unnoticeable to me), and any photos larger than 16 MP will be downsized, but you have unlimited storage.
This is what I want to know as well. My google+ has nearly used up all my 15gig storage but can't see where these are as all my photos say they aren't counting towards the quota

Enco

i can't get anything to back up to photos on iOS at all — just constant "preparing backup" for nine hours or so. any ideas?
Restart your phone?

It definitely compresses pictures. I compared my iPhone original pictures to the uploads and there's a slight difference.

edit: on further testing it was just me downloading the picture incorrectly. I should have used the download button. I can't tell the difference any more. I'm impressed.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Hmm, my Photos barely recognizes and categorizes anything. Only a few things, like skyscrapers from New York. Most things aren't recognized at all. No people, no cats, etc.

Enco

Hmm, my Photos barely recognizes and categorizes anything. Only a few things, like skyscrapers from New York. Most things aren't recognized at all. No people, no cats, etc.
Have you tried searching?

People aren't recognised for me but if I search for something it usually comes up.

I'll stick with Flickr for my proper photos and use this for my phone camera.

rizzo0

So i'm feeling a little conflicted after doing some testing. I just uploaded some photos using the standard high quality setting and there's definitely some compression going on. It's kind of annoying because I was hoping if the photos were 16MP or less then there would be no need to further compress the photo.

For example I uploaded a photo that was 8MP 2.42mb and it was compressed to 1.19mb. I also uploaded another photo that was 8MP 2.28mb and it was compressed to 1.19mb. Now the funny thing is that I HONESTLY can't tell a difference between the original and the high quality version. I mean I was zooming in/out all over these photos and googles compression algorithm is like some kind of magic unless I'm really blind.

So end of the day my gut tells me to be pissed that its not retaining the full resolution file but I don't know whether to really care anymore? lol

And yes I know if I'm super nuts about full res photo backup, I can just upload my photos using Googles original setting or use the free 1TB from flickr, Onedrive or whatever else is out there.

Finally figured out you have to search to get the new photo app to try to try to find objects.

Worked in swedish right off the bat! Searched for dog and got loads of cat pictures I had taken off my mothers cats. Searched for cat and only got one picture back. They have shamed the cat race no doubt ;)

Enco

Do all uploads auto download to all devices?

Also, where do the uploads from the desktop go? They're not with the rest of my photos.

edit: they go under their dates. Folders not creating albums seems really dumb. Plus the reliance on an internet connection to do the searches also sucks

edit 2: looks like face recognition is US only. I'm guessing it's related to laws

Silentium

Sure I'm not the only one; I would love if I was able to force these photo cloud storage services to distinguish between photos taken on the phone, and images saved on the phone (probably more of an iPhone problem because everything gets stored in the same place). I hate seeing random screenshots and wallpapers etc in with my actual photos :/

Pachimari

Reading the OP and having not seen the event, they didn't announce a new Chromecast device right?

And is there even any chance we'll get Android M for LG G3, when we haven't even gotten Android 5.1?

3phemeral

It's like there's something wrong with my Photos app. I saved this picture and typed in "frog" but it didn't come up. Are there regional differences?

Edit: So it seems that photo wasn't backed up, wonder why.

Yeah, not sure how it works. If it's regional, I'm in the U.S. if that gives any idea.

Most all of my photos were already backed up, so I'm thinking maybe there was some image-recognition processing already going on behind the scenes and it only needed to be activated? Then again, people are taking new photos and they're instantly categorized correctly.

I'm just amazed that it was able to find a frog in that photo, a blurry frog at that.

Next up: I'd be super impressed if they found a way to fix out-of-focus photos.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Anyone know if there's a way to hide images

By default all of your pics are private. You have to actively attempt to share them. But, all of your photos are auto-saved, so if simply browsing your photos, you will see everything. If you don't want that, you probably should save the photo to a hard drive or some other online service and delete it from Google.

The assumption from Google is that you are the only one looking at your view of the full gallery and what everyone else sees is only what you have shared. So you shouldn't have to hide anything, just don't share it.

Knight77

I installed the new Photo App then I thought it was the right time to reorganize some pics. I did it G+ on the web with the PC: moved some pics, deleted others, created new albums. Point is that if I check the Photos in G+ on the web everything is fine, on the phone I see all the albums but some are empty others are missing some pics.

WHY ? ! How to solve this ?

Edit: looks like the album created in Photo are not synced with G+ Photo Album. But....both are under G+ on the web !

Wubby

Any way to use the pictures on google photos to post to forums? I was looking at it and even the share button won't give me a link that ends in .jpg so the [ img] tag doesn't work.

riotous

Banned
That's disgusting..

If you really need to trick a system into thinking a URL is a photo, add a ? to the end plus something like f=pic.jpg.

For instance pasting the URL of an image from google photos into google itself doesn't even pic up that it's an image.

But if you add ?file=pic.jpg to the end of a URL, google throws the "search as image" link up.

this:

https://www.google.com/#q=https://l...FvGPm4lfnwteQf8YJ7FeMiDYGak7r2w=w1006-h566-no

vs:

https://www.google.com/#q=https://l...f8YJ7FeMiDYGak7r2w=w1006-h566-no?file=pic.jpg

Note the "search by image" link that pops up for the second link; same image URL otherwise.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Finally figured out you have to search to get the new photo app to try to try to find objects.

Worked in swedish right off the bat! Searched for dog and got loads of cat pictures I had taken off my mothers cats. Searched for cat and only got one picture back. They have shamed the cat race no doubt ;)

Huh. I have a bunch of photos of my cats, but searching for "katt" returns no results at all. So I tried "hund", and lo and behold, there are my cats (not all of them though)! Needs some polishing.

Wubby

That's disgusting..

If you really need to trick a system into thinking a URL is a photo, add a ? to the end plus something like f=pic.jpg.

For instance pasting the URL of an image from google photos into google itself doesn't even pic up that it's an image.

But if you add ?file=pic.jpg to the end of a URL, google throws the "search as image" link up.

this:

https://www.google.com/#q=https://l...FvGPm4lfnwteQf8YJ7FeMiDYGak7r2w=w1006-h566-no

vs:

https://www.google.com/#q=https://l...f8YJ7FeMiDYGak7r2w=w1006-h566-no?file=pic.jpg

Note the "search by image" link that pops up for the second link; same image URL otherwise.

Thanks! That works it looks like

SwMB7q8IHECn2iJBLqPGf8Cfc6NQm_1OaW_ta25Ku38=w700-h525-no

Wubby

Again, you don't even have to do that. Just the file location is sufficient (on GAF at least).

You're right! Weird... I tried it earlier but it didn't work then for me. Maybe I did something else wrong.

Thanks!

Really liking this new google photos app. As a habit I tend to take multiple pictures of the same subject in case one of them didn't focus right. Photos is stitching them together as animations which gives them a weird pseudo 3D look.

Chris R

That's the only thing I'm not enjoying so far, it's pretty bad. Apparently worse on a tablet as it wastes space, it's not full screen.

On Arstechnica they have screenshots side by side. New layout wastes space on every device. Who knows, maybe you can get rid of the alphabet on the side and allow your "A" apps to live in harmony with the "B" apps. Then the only change would be vertical scrolling with pinned apps on top instead of horizontal pages.

Setsuna

By default all of your pics are private. You have to actively attempt to share them. But, all of your photos are auto-saved, so if simply browsing your photos, you will see everything. If you don't want that, you probably should save the photo to a hard drive or some other online service and delete it from Google.

The assumption from Google is that you are the only one looking at your view of the full gallery and what everyone else sees is only what you have shared. So you shouldn't have to hide anything, just don't share it.

All im saying is there are pictures on my phone that id rather keep on the phone but not look at every time i'm looking at images

riotous

Banned
You're right! Weird... I tried it earlier but it didn't work then for me. Maybe I did something else wrong.

Yeah I wasn't implying that it's required here; although I've seen forum software act up with img tags with URL's that don't end in a file type format. That usually only happens when the forum has a plugin that does some sort of image processing; I believe all neogaf does is throw some markup on img tags that does the "click to show full image" logic, not actual image parsing.

I wish google would include the picture format in the URL either way; I don't really understand why they don't.

Husker86

All im saying is there are pictures on my phone that id rather keep on the phone but not look at every time i'm looking at images
Use a file Explorer app and create a .nomedia file in the directory with the images you don't want to show in your gallery.

3phemeral

Quickpic has an option to select a folder and mark it as either "hidden" or "excluded". The former still accessible if you choose to unhide them temporarily and the latter making them completely invisible to other apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom