• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2015 |OT| Other M

Status
Not open for further replies.

3phemeral

Finally!:
Offline Maps​

Impressed:
Google Photo knowledge graph integration
Better contextually aware Google Now​

About to skip this next Kid-oriented potion. I'm assuming there's nothing mindblowingly interesting here.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
The improvements to Google Now are just... mind boggling. I know I'm supposed to be used to it, because these improvements are delivered incrementally, but it's kind of crazy when you step back and see what's happening. A goddamn computer is getting non-formatted data from any application, pulling context for both the information and you as a person, and delivering relevant information - or even more impressively, taking this information as context for queries.

mattp

ok wow, the automatic categories in google photos is scarily accurate

11193214_10100746238055066_8374672852257809141_n.jpg

JohnsonUT

Some of the search results are great. The more abstract or unique you get, the less likely it is going to understand (it didn't understand "piñata"). But, this is something you can see getting better and better over time.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
ok wow, the automatic categories in google photos is scarily accurate

11193214_10100746238055066_8374672852257809141_n.jpg

It's not really exciting, but the object recognition game has gotten crazy in the last few years - all the major players come together every year and compete, but also share their results, in a contest to see what software is the best at recognizing objects in photos - at this point, the best software is better than a human I think.

It's now moving onto scene/context recognition - where something like "a happy couple having a picnic on a warm summer day" would be understandable, both ways (the computer would understand what that would be a photo of if you searched for it, but also it would see a photo of that and be able to label it as such)

Symphonia

Banned
Any reason why I shouldn't make the move from the Gmail app to Inbox?
I disabled my Gmail app, but Inbox is pretty good. Again, the only flaw is not being able to 'Select All' or 'Empty Spam' - like, seriously, it's not that hard to implement, Google.

andshrew

Anyway to make only actual photos show up in the app? Mine is filled with stuff from hangouts conversations that I don't really care about but there seems to be no way to hide them. This was also an issue with the old photos app.

MercuryLS

Banned
Google Photos is going to be big, I've got a feeling it's going to take off like gmail did all those years ago. Is the Android/iOS app up yet?

Pacbois

Automatic categories are sort of so-so for me. I mostly have concert photos and it did a good job with them, but it also added pictures taken in bars (I guess because of the low lightning) and put some stuff that wasn't food with food. Still pretty impressive.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Just downloaded the app on my iPhone 6. Wow, I like this. Good job Googy.

iCloud Photo Library is now looking redundant.

Any reason why I shouldn't make the move from the Gmail app to Inbox?

One problem I've had is that contact groups don't come up when I type them into the "To:" line as they do for the Gmail app.

Also, I'm seeing reports from some people that Photos is reuploading Google+ backups. Can anyone shine more light as to whether all my photos will be duplicated once I fire up the app? (Rather than automatically importing from G+)

GWX

Just downloaded the app on my iPhone 6. Wow, I like this. Good job Googy.

It seems pretty good on my 5s as well. I'm just scared it has access to the full resolution pics that I have stored on iCloud (I use the "optimize iPhone storage" option) :S

FaintDeftone

New photos app seems to be failing at uploading and saving albums I create. Must be getting hammered at the moment. I'm on a Galaxy S5.

jwk94

Man, the photos app is incredible. It found most of the pictures of my friends. Is there a way to fill in the rest? Like add what it didn't find to the list of "X person" that it generates?

Fatalah

Is there a way I can move all my phone photos from dropbox to Google Photos? Everything's been uploading to dropbox since my first android phone in like, 2010. But I just recently got a new phone and there aren't many photos on it atm, and thus not much on Google Photos. Can I transfer everything over?

From Dropbox to Google Photos? Can't you just drag and drop the folders into Google Drive and then just allow Google Photos to pull from Google Drive?

3phemeral

Man, the photos app is incredible. It found most of the pictures of my friends. Is there a way to fill in the rest? Like add what it didn't find to the list of "X person" that it generates?
Maybe use the Picasa app to tag your friends? There's a section devoted to recognizing faces where you can label them and it'll learn, but the UI is clunky.

GtwoK

The photos app is insane about recognizing some things, now that I've got it working. Really curious about this whole object-recognition concpet / technology now. Here's an accidental photo I took. Successfully and automatically placed it under "Car":

Another. Placed it under "Food"

It's still done some weird stuff though; it placed some books under "Food", and hasn't found any people, even though there should be hundreds.

It didn't auto categorize things before, but the G+ified version of Photos before today did already allow you to search for certain places and things. Ask the new stuff in the new version is amazing though.

hohoXD123

So Photos is both terrible and insanely good at the same time. Doesn't recognise a clear picture of my headphones when I type in "headphones" but typing in "London Eye" takes me to a picture of me standing in front of a half cut off London Eye.

Enco

Other than the categories, why use this over Flickr?

Flickr allows you to store 1 TB at full resolution.

Other than the categories, why use this over Flickr?

Flickr allows you to store 1 TB at full resolution.

The interface is a little simpler but I went back to Flickr. The fact that Google Photos insists on putting every image you've ever sent on Hangouts into your photo library makes it unusable for me.

GtwoK

"Cats"

*snip*

"Dogs"

*snip*

"Cars"

*snip*

I think my Google Photos is drunk.

Heh. I've got some interesting ones too. Here's a few "Dogs" for you.

YHxLisSl.jpg

Side note, does anyone know why some photos appear in the thumbnails for categories, but not in the category themselves? My Dog category's thumbnail changes between a ton of photos I took, all of dogs, but none of which can be found inside the category. Not sure where they've gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom