• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2015 |OT| Other M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Why obviously? It's June, aren't most phones coming out in a given year announced by now?

Motorola will be coming with one. Then there is a rumor for two nexus devices from Huwaie and LG. Also One plus one as well.

So is cardboard the most successful VR company unit sales wise?

They said 1 million viewers bought

VR video on youtube is a big deal. BTW youtube alone was valued big

YouTube’s profitability has long been questioned, but whether or not the video site makes money for Google, it is certainly worth a lot of money. According to Bank of America analyst Justin Post, who shared a note reported by Bloomberg and others, YouTube is worth more than $70 billion.

YouTube’s valuation is driven by its increasing revenue. Post and his team said the site’s revenue will grow 34% to $8.2 billion in 2015 and will reach $13 billion by 2017. Should YouTube meet those figures, it will double its revenue between 2014 and 2014.

The $70 billion valuation amounts to close to one-fifth of the $370 billion Google is worth. The search giant paid $1.65 billion to acquire YouTube back in 2006.

As Bloomberg notes, the $70 valuation makes YouTube worth more than all but 66 companies in the S&P 500. Post says YouTube could be worth as much as $90 billion; at $80 billion, it would surpass seven more S&P 500 companies, and at $90 billion, it would surpass another four.

YouTube’s valuation has increased steadily upward during the first decade of its existence. In July 2013, Barclays said YouTube could be worth as much as $21.3 billion. Then, in September 2014, a report from Jeffries Marketing pegged the site’s value at approximately $40 billion.

hohoXD123

Cardboard still requires a 300-400 phone. It's not feasible for a classroom to buy a bunch of these under the premise that "it's cheap", and the tech crowd doesn't give two shits about poor man's VR.

No it doesn't, you can run cardboard apps on phones as cheap as a Nexus 4, probably cheaper. Many kids already have their own phones by the time they're in secondary school anyway, they just need to install the apps, maybe use the teachers' phones/some spares for the kids who don't have one. Don't see it being feasible in poorer countries though. Also, the tech crowd should give a shit about the poor man's VR if it's more likely to get the mainstream market interested in VR to the point whereby more companies are willing to invest in it. You can't just rely on the enthusiast market to get VR anywhere meaningful.

BlazinAm

No it doesn't, you can run cardboard apps on phones as cheap as a Nexus 4, probably cheaper. Many kids already have their own phones by the time they're in secondary school anyway, they just need to install the apps, maybe use the teachers' phones/some spares for the kids who don't have one. Don't see it being feasible in poorer countries though. Also, the tech crowd should give a shit about the poor man's VR if it's more likely to get the mainstream market interested in VR to the point whereby more companies are willing to invest in it. You can't just rely on the enthusiast market to get VR anywhere meaningful.

I was thinking of a condensed version of the Nexus 7.

LordOfChaos

Half expected a Moto 360 second gen around this event...Can't be long now anyways, since it went through the bluetooth board weeks ago, and the last time that happened it was announced shortly after.

Not that I would get a second gen. I'll look for a first gen for ~$100 around then, lol. Still not convinced of the $250+ price tag of smart watches, but 100 bucks, may as well.

Somnid

Even as a developer this year was light. Not a whole lot of new stuff going on, just some small refinements. That's okay, you need that every so often, but it's not exciting.

Excited for

- Google Now having access to more stuff
- Offline maps, points of interest and voice navigation. (especially important to me due to T-Mobile being crap outside urban areas).

LordOfChaos

You know, I'm actually enthused by the dearth of new features. Android M, iOS 9, and OSX 10.11 are all focused on going back to the core of the OS and making everything more stable and performant. I'm cool with that. God knows they all needed to. They all needed a Snow Leopard moment. Sans home folder deletion, I hope.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Half expected a Moto 360 second gen around this event...Can't be long now anyways, since it went through the bluetooth board weeks ago, and the last time that happened it was announced shortly after.

Not that I would get a second gen. I'll look for a first gen for ~$100 around then, lol. Still not convinced of the $250+ price tag of smart watches, but 100 bucks, may as well.

It's 150$ right now and was 100$ on Amazon refurbished.

Rootbeer

Banned
So are we getting a Nexus with a fingerprint sensor this year? I'm glad they are starting to take the feature seriously, but it needs to be in a Nexus device. Same with USB Type C

vwnut13

OK, the face recognition is crazy.

I don't know if it's matching ALL the pictures of that person, but some of the matches I am seeing are hard to believe.

Would a feature such as answering sms texts via the Hangouts app on Desktop / Chrome be something that would have been talked about in the keynote, or could it still show up in one of the coming sessions?

Symphonia

Banned
So are we getting a Nexus with a fingerprint sensor this year? I'm glad they are starting to take the feature seriously, but it needs to be in a Nexus device. Same with USB Type C
I'd be extremely surprised if the new Nexus handset doesn't have these two features. The Nexus is, after all, Google's baby, and the I/O event was their chance to highlight their plans for both fingerprint sensor technology and USB-C. It would make sense to assume their next phone will have both.

alatif113

testing out the search feature on photos and its pretty cool how they integrated image search with your photos. For example with no tags whatsoever, searching "watch" gives me pictures i took of the watch i got for my birthday. "graduation" returns graduation pictures. Its not perfect, and doesnt return all the pictures associated with the keyword, but still cool.

KarmaCow

The new google now stuff looks great. Now is there a way to make it stop asking if I'm interested in cricket because I looked up the scores a few times for a friend months ago?

OK, the face recognition is crazy.

I don't know if it's matching ALL the pictures of that person, but some of the matches I am seeing are hard to believe.

The demo where it auto matched his niece's baby photos seemed like bullshit but rest seemed not outrageous.

GtwoK

Is the photos app buggy as all hell for anyone else? Depending on the view (either compact of comfortable), all the photos are either flickering, or constantly stretching than returning to normal size. It's unusable. I'm sure I'm a rare case, other wise it would have been caught, but damn, this is an app-breaking bug.

Edit: Also, searching isn't finding a damn thing. I tried searching dog, horse, and skyline as I have fairly high quality photos of all 3 in my library. No results for any of them. What the fuck?

Edit again: just noticed it says the face and object identifying isn't available in all countries. So you know, there goes Canada being treated like a undeveloped country again by tech companies.

alatif113

Is the photos app buggy as all hell for anyone else? Depending on the view (either compact of comfortable), all the photos are either flickering, or constantly stretching than returning to normal size. It's unusable. I'm sure I'm a rare case, other wise it would have been caught, but damn, this is an app-breaking bug.

Edit: Also, searching isn't finding a damn thing. I tried searching dog, horse, and skyline as I have fairly high quality photos of all 3 in my library. No results for any of them. What the fuck?

Edit again: just noticed it says the face and object identifying isn't available in all countries. So you know, there goes Canada being treated like a undeveloped country again by tech companies.

Its probably still processing the photos. I had like 20 max so my searches were working after 5 minutes.

Majine

Banned
shruggie.0.gif

lol

GtwoK

Is there a way I can move all my phone photos from dropbox to Google Photos? Everything's been uploading to dropbox since my first android phone in like, 2010. But I just recently got a new phone and there aren't many photos on it atm, and thus not much on Google Photos. Can I transfer everything over?

Kuros

Is there a way I can move all my phone photos from dropbox to Google Photos? Everything's been uploading to dropbox since my first android phone in like, 2010. But I just recently got a new phone and there aren't many photos on it atm, and thus not much on Google Photos. Can I transfer everything over?

Plug into a PC. Put phone in camera ptp mode and copy the photos across. The photos app will pick them up and upload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom