• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2015 |OT| Other M

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Photos auto-categorize thing is one of those "tech is magic" things, where if you don't know anything about tech, you're just like "huh, that's nice that that works" but if you know how hard it is, it's mind-blowingly impressive. My question is, how do I tag these auto-categories. Like, Photos was really good at taking all the pictures of a friend of mine and putting them in a group. How do I make it so that group is called "Bob" and every picture that's Bob now goes to the "Bob" category rather than the unnamed category?

giga

Photos app works as intended, but I'm still not big on Material. The shadows are way too thick and they stick out like a sore thumb on the floating elements especially. Hamburger menus for the main navigation options are crap too. Would it be so hard to put a tab bar for assistant, photos, and collections? Bleh.

Photos app works as intended, but I'm still not big on Material. The shadows are way too thick and they stick out like a sore thumb on the floating elements especially. Hamburger menus for the main navigation options are crap too. Would it be so hard to put a tab bar for assistant, photos, and collections? Bleh.

To be honest, I don't get why people praise Google's iOS design. Looks like shit to me and they unnecessarily change so many standard UI elements for the worse. Android on the other hand, it looks really nice.

GWX

Turns out you can slide between the three view modes without having to enter the hamburger menu! How do I know that? Not because of Google's UI Design Team -.-

edit: it's not even consistent with other apps, such as Play Music: I just tried there and the slide thing doesn't work -.- Google plz

Goldrush

This is fantastic, but I guess we're not going to get a version for offline photo/picasa successor, eh? Hell, I'll be ecstatic with a program that requires online but don't need the photo to be uploaded.

Dany

Banned
I'm already backing everything up onto flickr :/ I'd much rather use google photos but I don't know how to do that.

giga

Turns out you can slide between the three view modes without having to enter the hamburger menu! How do I know that? Not because of Google's UI Design Team -.-

edit: it's not even consistent with other apps, such as Play Music: I just tried there and the slide thing doesn't work -.- Google plz
Thanks, that helps, but I would still prefer one tap access to a section.

Regarding PC software, if Photo is separate from Drive do I have to install it separately as a new cloud folder? I already have all my SFW pictures in my OneDrive folder and the only benefit I see from moving them is I can easily access all my pictures on my phone (since the OneDrive app is terrible from what I've heard). I already have 200GB for OneDrive and 125GB for Google Drive and it's more than plenty for me.

3phemeral

Regarding PC software, if Photo is separate from Drive do I have to install it separately as a new cloud folder? I already have all my SFW pictures in my OneDrive folder and the only benefit I see from moving them is I can easily access all my pictures on my phone (since the OneDrive app is terrible from what I've heard). I already have 200GB for OneDrive and 125GB for Google Drive and it's more than plenty for me.
I think it all stores to the same location, no? You just have different places you can access it from, like Google+, photos.google.com, Google Drive.

Photos recognition can sometimes be magical. I was wondering why this photo was listed under frog:

XBZP7x

But then I zoomed in.

giga

Does it support the cast button? If not, then what's the freaking point?
Nope, DLNA and Miracast. If you have a DLNA server or like to mirror your display, then it works. But mirroring displays are not nearly as useful to me as sending just the video, rather than my entire screen, like Chromecast and Apple TV can do.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Nope, DLNA and Miracast. If you have a DLNA server or like to mirror your display, then it works. But mirroring displays are not nearly as useful to me as sending just the video, rather than my entire screen, like Chromecast and Apple TV can do.

No it does support Google Cast. Also 5GHz wifi band.

MercuryLS

Banned
I tried the Google Photos iPad app, fuck it's awesome. Google nailed it, it will be my go to service for backing up all of my photos from here on out.

reKon

Banned
Oh shit, I was sleeping on the auto data back up stuff. I didn't even realize what it was, but this is the most important update for me. Since the fucking Kingdom Rush devs won't implement cloud save, this should work. I just hope that the app data doesn't exceed 25 MB. This is HUGE. If we also get multi-window, a more stable OS update, and battery life is more in control, this will be by far my favorite Android update. Too bad none of this will be ready until like October

Ke0

I think it all stores to the same location, no? You just have different places you can access it from, like Google+, photos.google.com, Google Drive.

Photos recognition can sometimes be magical. I was wondering why this photo was listed under frog:

But then I zoomed in.

I don't see the frog. Pls help

I flashed M to my Nexus 9 and I'm really, really hating this vertical scrolling app drawer. It sucks and the paginated version was so much more natural.

But on the plus side, my tablet runs better than it ever has--it just flies through everything.

Edit: It doesn't even fill the screen in landscape mode!

reKon

Banned
I flashed M to my Nexus 9 and I'm really, really hating this vertical scrolling app drawer. It sucks and the paginated version was so much more natural.

But on the plus side, my tablet runs better than it ever has--it just flies through everything.

Probably why the Android L 5.1 update took so long. Google was like: "pls, you won't care about this shit in a few weeks"

Probably why the Android L 5.1 update took so long. Google was like: "pls, you won't care about this shit in a few weeks"

Seriously. It definitely feels like M should've been what it launched with--there's no lag, double tap to wake works pretty much every time now, Ok Google everywhere works like it's supposed to, even the speakers are putting out louder and better quality sound than before.

jwk94

This works so much better in Aviate.

This works so much better in Aviate.
Isn't Aviate showing you apps contextually though? The M app drawer is only putting the four most recently used apps at the top, and the rest in alphabetical order, from my understanding.

Edit: For anyone using the new Photos app, you can also zoom in and out with one finger like in Google Maps, Chrome and some other Google apps by double tapping and dragging in white/empty space.

Kintaco

I'm liking the Photos app, not too thrilled about the compression. But in case of a catastrophe it will be nice to have something rather than a total loss.

Does anyone know if Flickr compresses photos as well?

So I've been manually backing up my iPhone photos on my harddrive and I'm trying to store them onto Google Photos...does it not see the metadata for when the photos were taken if I uploaded them through the web?

Qassim

But Gmail was never so popular. About 8% marketshare at the moment.

The stat you're looking at is 'email client' marketshare, rather than email service. Even so, that 8% gets it the 2nd most popular email client in the world. But 'email client' isn't necessarily relevant here (because gmail didn't become popular because it is a client, it became popular because it is a service (which also includes a client)).

As far as email services go, it has 500m+ users and is the largest of these email services (having even overtaken hotmail). It's hard to say gmail was 'never so popular', it's the MOST popular email service.

NotBacon

So what's this new Photos thing?

I've been backing up my photos with the Google Photos app for months now. Is there a new app somewhere? Is the app being updated? What's the low down? I'm confused.

jwk94

So what's this new Photos thing?

I've been backing up my photos with the Google Photos app for months now. Is there a new app somewhere? Is the app being updated? What's the low down? I'm confused.
It's heaven. Download the app and experience unlimited space, awesome sorting and editing.

NotBacon

It's heaven. Download the app and experience unlimited space, awesome sorting and editing.

That doesn't really help me.
Unlimited space is nice. Sorting is already chronological, what's better than that? Editing features already existed, but cool if they added more.

What's the app called? If it's Google Photos, I already have that and I don't see an update :(

Edit: Had to manually check for some reason. Cool update. I like the image recognition search.

reKon

Banned
Unlimited space is nice. Sorting is already chronological, what's better than that? Editing features already existed, but cool if they added more.

What's the app called? If it's Google Photos, I already have that and I don't see an update :(

You might have to download a separate app called photos and it deletes the old photos app. Just look on Android Police for a direct link

Same name and replaces the old app. Google the apk. It wasn't in the playstore for me yet either.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, missed everything, watching the keynote now :D Guess there wasn't any sign of a new phone, was there?

I checked out the Photos desktop and the image recognition is bonkers. I did a search on "dog" and it turned up photos of my dog, plus any photos of my kids where they're holding a stuffed dog toy, and a couple of photos at a park where there is a dog in the background, plus one picture taken in a store where there is a picture of a dog on one of the boxes in the background. The facial recognition is amazing too, it properly sorted all the pictures of my kid for the past 5 years, including shots where she is wearing a wig, has face paint on, and where half her face is covered with a costume or a piece of pizza or whatever.

It's not perfect, it picked up a photo of a small rug as a dog, and similar out of place pictures here there. But overall it's pretty incredible!

Cipherr

I checked out the Photos desktop and the image recognition is bonkers. I did a search on "dog" and it turned up photos of my dog, plus any photos of my kids where they're holding a stuffed dog toy, and a couple of photos at a park where there is a dog in the background, plus one picture taken in a store where there is a picture of a dog on one of the boxes in the background. The facial recognition is amazing too, it properly sorted all the pictures of my kid for the past 5 years, including shots where she is wearing a wig, has face paint on, and where half her face is covered with a costume or a piece of pizza or whatever.

It's not perfect, it picked up a photo of a small rug as a dog, and similar out of place pictures here there. But overall it's pretty incredible!

Man this sounds awesome. Im doing my mass upload now.

Sean

Banned
Sorta curious as to whether Google Photos categorizes/recognizes dick pics and whatnot. Any results when you search for keywords like penis, breasts, naked, nudes, etc? I'm sure lots of gaffers can test this :p

Guessing no, even tho Google has been pro at recognizing genitalia for like 15 years now (SafeSearch filters etc).

thuway

I don't understand why they can't get offline Maps on an app level. The battery features sound cool and are essentially acknowledging Greenify :).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom