• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel 2 - answers are coming Oct 4th

wachie

What the heck kind of argument is this? A lot of what you said could apply to Apple as well.
No, it doesn't. They have the X.

RAM: The iPhone 8 uses 2GB and the 8+ uses 3GB so how can you even suggest 4GB is the norm?
Are you seriously comparing the RAM from iPhone to Android phones? Nuh, uh.

Compare it to other mid-tier Android phones and they're already at 3GB if not at 4GB. This is a flagship phone that is expected to last until 2021.

Camera: Single Lense on the standard iPhone 8.
Yeah and the Plus with the dual lens totally doesnt exist. Again, this comes down to the shallow claim of "we provide the same experience on both phones" when they dont want to include a dual-setup on the XL.

Screen: Define remarkable? The iPhone 8 displays aren't exactly super amazing given the resolutions they are still working with.
TrueTone. Google could have done something subtle but then it'd mean they would have had to add the ambient light sensor, again cut corner or dont extend themselves.

Design: The recycled 4 year design of the iPhone 8 is tiring at this point.
3 years, and Google seems to be fine with sticking to that recycled design for their regular Pixel. Apple should have changed the design for 8, much like Google should have done for Pixel 2.

Headphone Jack: None
What does this even mean?

Other standout hardware features? The speakers, but they are lacking compared to the dual front-facing Pixel 2 speakers and there is wireless charging.
I'm guessing they are just front firing dual speakers that arent anything new which is why Google just glossed over the fact. Even when this was first introduced in the HTC phone, it hardly ever a "standout hardware feature".

Futureman

3 years, and Google seems to be fine with sticking to that recycled design for their regular Pixel. Apple should have changed the design for 8, much like Google should have done for Pixel 2.

6, 6S, 7, 8.

4 phones with basically the same design.

Not that I really care as I do like it. Plus there's the X this year to mix things up.

KmA

Did they lower the price of the original Pixel? I think I might just trade in my shitty Nexus 5x for that tbh.

jwick

Unconfirmed Member
What is the cleaning like for the fabric case? I imagine it will get gross pretty quick unless there is an easy way to clean it. I know i wipe my phone case down at least once a week.

It can be washed apparently.

My point is you give Google shit for doing things that aren't exclusive to them. You rag on them saying 4GB RAM is the norm for RAM which I don't understand because every other flagship barring the OP5 and Note8 use 4GB RAM so why is it such a bad idea. You say a single lens camera is crap, but give Apple a pass for not including the dual-camera system in their $700 phone. You say the screen isn't remarkable, but it is no doubt better than the screens in the iPhone 8 or iPhone 8+ which is weird. The design is "uninspiring" ignoring the fact that Apple is using a 4 year old design. You ignore the stereo speakers when barely any other flagship this year has them and disregard the squeezable frame as a gimmick. Finally, you knock the lack of headphone jack when plenty of other phones don't have one either.

It feels like you just really wanted to hate these phones. You're ignoring the iPhone 8 and saying the Pixel 2 are bad in areas that they are better than the iPhone's in and also ignoring the fact that the iPhone's are more expensive. You say "The design, hardware and everything else is way behind the curve", but don't seem to care that the same can be said about the iPhone in some ways. It's like the Pixel 2 is awful for X reason, but the iPhone is great even though it is also lacking in X reason.

Jeffrey

The fuck? I can't find any 3rd party cases on amazon from reputable companies,just sketchy Chinese stuff. Spigen stuff won't be released until November.

You charge iphone prices, make sure there are plenty of case options. And no I'm not interested in your funky overpriced stuff. Amateur hour.

The fuck? I can't find any 3rd party cases on amazon from reputable companies,just sketchy Chinese stuff. Spigen stuff won't be released until November.

You charge iphone prices, make sure there are plenty of case options. And no I'm not interested in your funky overpriced stuff. Amateur hour.

I'm sure Verizon will have some overpriced cases on launch day. Also usually companies will start running their $1-$4 case promos soon like they always do for new phones. Be on the lookout on Slickdeals.

meow

I think the XL 2 is pretty neat. But I don't know if I can justify an extra $200 for it....I thought I'd hold out another year but very tempted to go for one of the pixels since apparently I can get $115 for my nexus 5x. It only cost me $349 and I financed it (so actually I'm still paying for it, hah). I miss their cheap phones! Would be a no brainer.

S8 vs Pixel 2...

https://twitter.com/vladsavov/status/915752257492258816

f5Xcrgu.jpg

Aeana

I've run into several that just aren't listed on Amazon (yet?), including my favorite case type, the Incipio DualPro

https://www.incipio.com/cases/smart...ases-accessories/google-pixel-2-xl-cases.html

Google listed a bunch of companies they've got accessories coming from during the conference, so I would suggest going to their sites first.

Jeffrey

I've run into several that just aren't listed on Amazon (yet?), including my favorite case type, the Incipio DualPro

https://www.incipio.com/cases/smart...ases-accessories/google-pixel-2-xl-cases.html

Google listed a bunch of companies they've got accessories coming from during the conference, so I would suggest going to their sites first.
Hmmm ngp was my go to case since like iphone 5ish time. Yeah guess I'll look at these stores. I got some time for delivery of cases anyhow.

Edzi

FYI, the S8 is actually cheaper than the original (2016) Pixel XL atm, at $624 unlocked through Amazon. I already ordered the pixel (and google won't let me cancel), but I've decided I'll just send that back in favor of the newer S8 which I can pick up today.

jaydogg691

Does the 2 XL screen support for HDR? Sorry if this has been mentioned already, haven’t seen or read any mention about HDR support other than P-OLED screen.

LogicStep

Does the 2 XL screen support for HDR? Sorry if this has been mentioned already, haven’t seen or read any mention about HDR support other than P-OLED screen.
I'm wondering as well. I'm going to guess yes. I hope the screen is better than my Nexus 6. This has burn in where the nav bar and notification bar are.

And why not compare the Pixel 2 XL with the S8? What a pointless comparison...

Like Samurai G0SU said, s8+ vs the XL 2 ($825 $725 vs $849) would be a better comparison - and not very flattering for the XL 2 either.

s8 and the Pixel 2 are in the same price/size range. ($725 $625 vs $649)

Here's a comparison someone on reddit put together for all of them...

Like Samurai G0SU said, s8+ vs the XL 2 ($825 $725 vs $849) would be a better comparison - and not very flattering for the XL 2 either.

man all these phones look the same outside the regular pixel 2. obviously s8 is "sexiest" but they are all close enough to me

Orion514

So, I wanted White & Black, however, the Google store is sold out of that. Best Buy however still has pre-orders open for that color but it says "(VERIZON)" in the product title - issue being I'm an AT&T customer. Will Best Buy version still be unlocked and just include a SIM card I can just pitch?

I don't want to have to send it back and even possibly be charged a restocking fee (eff you Best Buy).

Blackhead

Redarse

Futureman

You need to provide sources for both those statements.

Yea I would imagine even if just looking at the V30, some models may have screens coming from different manufacturing plants that could cause these issues.

I mentioned before in here that my GF wouldn't want to get anything but an iPhone, but now she's just like "I don't care, just do it and let me know how much."

I may go to Best Buy tonight and I could find out for you Orion514. I would be using mine on T-Mobile and their site says you can buy from a Verizon store and they will work on T-Mobile so I assume you wold be fine w/ AT&T.

wachie

My point is you give Google shit for doing things that aren't exclusive to them.
I rag plenty on Apple too, in other threads. You are welcome to join them.
You rag on them saying 4GB RAM is the norm for RAM which I don't understand because every other flagship barring the OP5 and Note8 use 4GB RAM so why is it such a bad idea.
Every other flagship has been out months, heck the S8 is out now for 7 months. Yes, I'd have wanted some sort of justification for the price either than "Made by Google" tag.
You say a single lens camera is crap, but give Apple a pass for not including the dual-camera system in their $700 phone.
But Apple has the option of dual-setup on their $800+ phone. They're not intentionally gimping their phone hardware wise and relying on software to bridge that gap. I'd be okay if they had a single camera setup on the Pixel and dual on the XL.
You say the screen isn't remarkable, but it is no doubt better than the screens in the iPhone 8 or iPhone 8+ which is weird.
No doubt? Do we have all the display tests done? For all we know, Google's QA is still hit-and-miss. See the image posted above regarding banding. I was hoping Google would have done some sort of take on the display rather than just saying "Here OLED, gimme the monies".
The design is "uninspiring" ignoring the fact that Apple is using a 4 year old design.
Three.

Apple's use of the original 6/6+ design is even more uninspiring. I'm not surprised that the 8/8+ is not moving that much and wont doubt that the Pixel 2 will hardly make the needle sway in any direction, the XL will no doubt be Google's popular Pixel.
You ignore the stereo speakers when barely any other flagship this year has them and disregard the squeezable frame as a gimmick.
I see no real positive buzz about either feature so seems like I'm not the only one dismissing them.
Finally, you knock the lack of headphone jack when plenty of other phones don't have one either.
Apple got quite a bit of flak, so should Google and every other vendor.
It feels like you just really wanted to hate these phones. You're ignoring the iPhone 8 and saying the Pixel 2 are bad in areas that they are better than the iPhone's in and also ignoring the fact that the iPhone's are more expensive. You say "The design, hardware and everything else is way behind the curve", but don't seem to care that the same can be said about the iPhone in some ways. It's like the Pixel 2 is awful for X reason, but the iPhone is great even though it is also lacking in X reason.
Well that's your outlook, you don't want a single criticism about Pixel. The iPhone 8 design is outdated, yes, most definitely. This is not the thread about iPhone 8 though.

Orion514

Yea I would imagine even if just looking at the V30, some models may have screens coming from different manufacturing plants that could cause these issues.

I mentioned before in here that my GF wouldn't want to get anything but an iPhone, but now she's just like "I don't care, just do it and let me know how much."

I may go to Best Buy tonight and I could find out for you Orion514. I would be using mine on T-Mobile and their site says you can buy from a Verizon store and they will work on T-Mobile so I assume you wold be fine w/ AT&T.

So, I both called Best Buy and chatted with Google Support twice. It seems Best Buy does not know what they're talking about, because they basically told me that they would not sell me the phone without going through verizon. Google support said that they will be SIM-unlocked devices, and their support page one agent linked me seems to confirm that:

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7107188?hl=en

Erebus

It's about device size, not screen size.

Well, yeah but the regular sized Pixel 2 obviously doesn't feature a "bezel-less" design so the comparison is moot imo. I mean what did he expect exactly?

Futureman

So, I both called Best Buy and chatted with Google Support twice. It seems Best Buy does not know what they're talking about, because they basically told me that they would not sell me the phone without going through verizon. Google support said that they will be SIM-unlocked devices, and their support page one agent linked me seems to confirm that:

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7107188?hl=en

On Best Buy's website you can select "No Plan, Retail price."

If I do get the phone, I'll do that and the rewards points will be ~$40... perfect for a case.

cube444

Yeah, it's the LG V30 for me.

- headphone jack
- actual effort put into audio quality
- wide angle lens for more dramatic photos and versatility in tight spaces
- better design with slimmer bezels
- will be cheaper than the Pixel 2 XL

I couldn't care less about all the AI/Assistant stuff.

LG is brutal on updates though. Isn't the V20 still on 7.0?

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
This isn't related but that Pixel Book is making me rethink my Surface Book purchase. It looks so damn good.

need to find a clear thin case for the XL. i want to show of the color scheme cause I do like it quite a bit.

https://mnmlcase.com has good Pixel 2 & 2 XL cases currently at a discount too.

the pixel 2xl side bezels are pretty massive

makes the iphonex look tiny by comparison

Nah, iphone x still has larger bezels.

So, I wanted White & Black, however, the Google store is sold out of that. Best Buy however still has pre-orders open for that color but it says "(VERIZON)" in the product title - issue being I'm an AT&T customer. Will Best Buy version still be unlocked and just include a SIM card I can just pitch?

I don't want to have to send it back and even possibly be charged a restocking fee (eff you Best Buy).

Verizon doesn't SIM lock their 4G LTE devices.

Sky Chief

The complaining is hilarious, just like last year when the Pixel was announced. This will obviously be the best phone just like the original Pixel was.

The complaining is hilarious, just like last year when the Pixel was announced. This will obviously be the best phone just like the original Pixel was.
Yes, and no.

I understand the complaints about the headphone jack. Hell, I used the headphone jack on my original Pixel daily. However, truth of the matter is this probably gonna be a industry trend moving forward, especially among flagship phones, so personally, I'm choosing to adjust to the new rather than hold onto to the past.

But bezels? Personally, I don't get it. I don't get it at all.

Top Bottom