• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel 2 - answers are coming Oct 4th

Hmm trade in kit is already on its way but phone isn't voming till Nov 25th.... Dafuq

Same boat here. Extra annoying because it took me nearly an hour to finally get the purchase to work. If it had worked faster then the timeline would be no issue. No fucking way I'm sending in my phone a month before the phone they could barely sell me even arrives. I don't mind having to wait, but they'd better be willing to do the same for me.

Rainer70

Hmm trade in kit is already on its way but phone isn't voming till Nov 25th.... Dafuq

Right. I hope it's starts the clock from when the phone delivers.

Same boat here. Extra annoying because it took me nearly an hour to finally get the purchase to work. If it had worked faster then the timeline would be no issue. No fucking way I'm sending in my phone a month before the phone they could barely sell me even arrives. I don't mind having to wait, but they'd better be willing to do the same for me.

I could've sworn it said 30 days or whatever from phone ship date

Yup the trade-in instructions email states, "If you pre-ordered a new phone, you can send us your trade-in phone after your new one arrives".

I couldn't resist and pre-ordered as well, I own the OG Pixel and it just makes sense to get the $350 for it and upgrade to the 2XL. You can essentially own every new Google phone for half price every year with Project Fi.

chromhound

Why can't I have the hardware sensibilities of Samsung with the software sensibilities of Google....

That XL is looking mighty tempting though. I'm not a big phone guy but it may convert me. Need to wait for Verizon to get some models in store to play with.

You could get an S8 with the exynos processor and put a Google rom

crazyprac

That's what I thought when reading it before processing the order. But suprise it's being sent out so soon. Hopefully they send our phones earlier too 😏

Well, now i don't know where i am in the delivery queue lol. Pre-ordered on Wednesday and had an order confirmation then i recieved a promo email yesterday with a code for £5 off each month so i ended up on chat this morning and they had to cancel my existing pre-order and put in a new one with the discount code. I still get the same goodies as before but now it's £5 cheaper per-month, fingers crossed for a launch delivery.

Now to look for a case etc.

Got an email about the free Mini today.

Within 4 weeks of your phone shipping, you'll get a promo code via email which you can use to redeem for your Google Home Mini on Google Store (as long as you didn't cancel your order or return your Pixel 2).

Limited-time offer applies to redemption of one Google Home Mini device, with the order of a Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL from Google Store in the U.S. starting October 4, 2017 through October 19, 2017 while supplies last. After a qualifying purchase of a Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL, a promo code will be emailed approximately 4 weeks from the Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL shipment date. Upon receipt of the promotional code, visit store.google.com to redeem the Google Home Mini.

Kthulhu

I wouldn't want to mess around with a fabric case. Having to wash it or whatever, nah I'm good. The artwork ones look nice. The one I want is the moment for the lenses.

That's my main concern. I may end up getting both to see what I think.

Plus it never hurts to have a backup case.

Some reviews said they aren't as nice in person as they look online but I've only seen one or two

The art or the fabric?

LogicStep

Can anyone post some recommendations for a tempted glass screen protector? I don't feel like paying $40 for the one on the Google store although this might be a case of you get what you pay for?

TheZink

Can anyone post some recommendations for a tempted glass screen protector? I don't feel like paying $40 for the one on the Google store although this might be a case of you get what you pay for?
Look on amazon. I ordered this yesterday but it’s already out of stock.

Nevermind. The link is dead.
Supershieldz for Google "Pixel 2" Tempered Glass Screen Protector with Lifetime Replacement Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075HL3YV8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_W4q2zbTYYB16E

Jeffrey

I'd wait. The assorted ones online already are just based off leak specs. Most likely won't fit well, especially because the pixel XL 2 got a sorta curved display.

has anyone done financing through Google? I pre-ordered the phone and got my account but i don;t have the card number (aside from the last 4 digits) so I can't set up my payments on the finance site.

has anyone done financing through Google? I pre-ordered the phone and got my account but i don;t have the card number (aside from the last 4 digits) so I can't set up my payments on the finance site.

I have and I think I wasn't able to set that up until after I got a letter in the mail.

casnix

Some reviews said they aren't as nice in person as they look online but I've only seen one or two
Do you remember the website where you read or watched it? I was thinking about getting a fabric one and I haven't had any luck in finding reviews.

Davide

google-pixel-2-xl.jpg

This is a stunningly ugly phone

Is very easy to get. The phone could either have a bigger screen with the footprint, or a smaller footprint with the same size of the screen it has right now. Both things that could be done by having little to no bezels.
No, that's not what I mean. I understand the mechanical of bezels. What I mean is why I do not understand why bezels of all things have become the "make or break" issue of modern smartphones? To me, I don't care either way. To me, issues that matter... issues that matter a LOT more... are things like speed, performance, camera, features, etc.

Yes. On the original Pixel as of last year of October. Not quite finished with payments (about $200 to go), but so far, no complaints. Pre-ordered the Pixel 2, and will be trading in my original Pixel.

I have a excellent credit score of 720+ FTR in case you were wondering.

Ty4on

google-pixel-2-xl.jpg

This is a stunningly ugly phone
Everything is wrong. The size of the glass, placement of the fingerprint sensor, placement of camera...
I know you shouldn't focus too much on looks, but just moving stuff a few mm would do so much to clean up the design. Especially the sensor so close to the rear glass looks tacked on.

The most stunning thing to me tho is how different the two sizes look. Proportions and placements are all off. It's like they tried to make them identical, but couldn't. Really amateur for a company trying to make premium products.

Hmmm... It makes it less panda and more... Penguin?

Android is Linux based. Hmmm

Damn.....now I can't unsee the Penguin......

Also, this thing is going straight in a case for most people.

Lest they learn the lessons of S7/S8 users and their rounded edge to edge glass.

TyrantII

No, that's not what I mean. I understand the mechanical of bezels. What I mean is why I do not understand why bezels of all things have become the "make or break" issue of modern smartphones? To me, I don't care either way. To me, issues that matter... issues that matter a LOT more... are things like speed, performance, camera, features, etc.

People trying to justify increasing prices and brand competition.

Count me in the utility > astetic group.

bezels is part of it that is more of a trending thing... But you are also getting a larger screen with higher resolution and a better battery life

Anyway, I preordered the 2 XL in black. I regret not getting the white and black one.. It sold out fast on google store.

andthebeatgoeson

Me too. My current pixel is amazing and after the Galaxy 3, i figured i would never go back to touch wiz.

Edit: that image stabilization on the pixel 2. That's real nice. I'm going to love that camera.

Is it's because we pixel will get better support? Cause with the LG V30 the headphone jack, wireless charging and design are more appealing.
I do think all the google lens and software features for pixel are cool though.

LG phones all go to shit in the long run. Go google LG boot loops and thank me later. I'm sure the V30 is a solid device, but the pixel will last you longer, performance is more likely to stay consistent, you'll get the latest and greatest of android right away, you'll get better support from google should something go wrong with the hardware, and so on and so forth.

I can't in good conscience recommend anyone get a non pixel phone for android, except maybe samsung. And even then I wouldn't. I sense regret in your longterm future if you get the V30.

5taquitos

LG phones all go to shit in the long run. Go google LG boot loops and thank me later. I'm sure the V30 is a solid device, but the pixel will last you longer, performance is more likely to stay consistent, you'll get the latest and greatest of android right away, you'll get better support from google should something go wrong with the hardware, and so on and so forth.

I can't in good conscience recommend anyone get a non pixel phone for android, except maybe samsung. And even then I wouldn't. I sense regret in your longterm future if you get the V30.
I will never buy an LG phone again after experiencing the absolutely ridiculous burn-in on my G5's screen.

Type2

Thank you! I’ve been out of the android market for a few years so I wasn’t sure who is quality. I think the last android I had was the HTC one and they seem to have gone down hill.
I do wish the pixel put a little more effort into its front facing design I’m a fan of the back.

Top Bottom