• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel 2 - answers are coming Oct 4th

Noobcraft

I'm still rocking a 4.5 year old HTC One M7 lol. I'm looking at getting a pixel 2 (or two of them) to finally replace mine and my wife's. It has gone through almost 1500 charge/discharge cycles so I can't imagine the battery will function much longer.

I'm thinking about getting either a Pixel 2 or iPhone 8. Leaning heavily towards the Pixel 2 for the better camera, Android's flexibility (can you change the default browser on iOS yet?), and improved battery life (if it's anything like the first pixel). I don't really want an iPhone 8 when the X exists too, but the X is way too expensive for me to seriously consider.

Most importantly I want another 4+ year phone.

TheZink

I wish we knew more about the cases. I ordered a fabric one but I might just cancel it and get a Spigen one instead.
I order the fabric also but when the spigen one popped up I ordered that too. Probably gonna cancel the fabric case. It’s too expensive.

I haven't checked the dimensions of the regular Pixel vs the Pixel 2, but would my OtterBox case fit the new phone?

It's the greatest case. Dropped it from a 40 foot lift onto the concrete below and the phone doesn't have a scratch on it.

Kuros

I haven't checked the dimensions of the regular Pixel vs the Pixel 2, but would my OtterBox case fit the new phone?

It's the greatest case. Dropped it from a 40 foot lift onto the concrete below and the phone doesn't have a scratch on it.

They're not identical chassis.

Agent

I wish we knew more about the cases. I ordered a fabric one but I might just cancel it and get a Spigen one instead.

I was thinking about getting the fabric case but after thinking about it bailed. I'm guessing a fabric case is going to not look so great after awhile as it picks up dust/dirt/debris/etc.

I'm just going to pick up a Spigen case for now until RhinoShield comes out with their CrashGuard bumpers. I had a CrashGuard for my Nexus 6p and it was fantastic. It was nice to basically have a naked phone with some good protection on the sides.

Davide

Everything is wrong. The size of the glass, placement of the fingerprint sensor, placement of camera...
I know you shouldn't focus too much on looks, but just moving stuff a few mm would do so much to clean up the design. Especially the sensor so close to the rear glass looks tacked on.

The most stunning thing to me tho is how different the two sizes look. Proportions and placements are all off. It's like they tried to make them identical, but couldn't. Really amateur for a company trying to make premium products.
Yeah it's offensively bad.

How is Project Fi?

My Nexus 6p is crapping out and I was going to get the OnePlus 5, but they are out of stock. I HATE the pricing on the new pixels but it looks like I can pay monthly if I buy it through Project Fi.

I'm currently using Cricket ($45 flat a month for 8gb of data) which is owned and runs on AT&T network (which has been mostly great).

linkboy

How is Project Fi?

My Nexus 6p is crapping out and I was going to get the OnePlus 5, but they are out of stock. I HATE the pricing on the new pixels but it looks like I can pay monthly if I buy it through Project Fi.

I'm currently using Cricket ($45 flat a month for 8gb of data) which is owned and runs on AT&T network (which has been mostly great).

Fi uses Sprint and T-Mobile, so checking their coverage areas in your area would be a good place to start.

How is Project Fi?

I really like Fi, and have had pretty good customer service from them (replaced phones etc). International service without paying extra is super convenient if you travel abroad with any regularity as well.

I always feel like it is one of the (countless) initiatives Google started but doesn't really care about anymore - so take that with a grain of salt.

Fi uses Sprint and T-Mobile, so checking their coverage areas in your area would be a good place to start.

T-Mobile coverage is fantastic in my area (used to have TMobile). Sprint is okay.

I really like Fi, and have had pretty good customer service from them (replaced phones etc). International service without paying extra is super convenient if you travel abroad with any regularity as well.

I always feel like it is one of the (countless) initiatives Google started but doesn't really care about anymore - so take that with a grain of salt.

They've already abandoned it? No new updates going forward?

snacknuts

we all knew her
And to think that it's only in the last year or two that you could laud Google for camera performance in their phones. It used to be a fair assumption that Nexus devices were going to have cameras that were middling at best. And now they are arguably the leader in mobile photo performance. Good stuff.

megalowho

How is Project Fi?

It's been pretty flawless for me in NYC and the pricing really can't be beat. Was originally paying a lot more than $45. Glad I switched over.

Fou-Lu

I know Nexus and Pixel cameras are amazing but these specific shots don't seem like anything special? In fact, it looks like the iPhone beats it.

Just looking at those pictures, the iPhone pictures have less detail, waaaaay too much vibrancy and don't deal with odd lighting conditions as well either.

Futureman

Fi is $20 + $10/GB right? I usually end up around 3.5 GB uses per month though could maybe bring that down to under 3 GB if I was more cautious.

I'm guessing they don't have any kind of deals or early termination fee offers...

JayB1920

I know Nexus and Pixel cameras are amazing but these specific shots don't seem like anything special? In fact, it looks like the iPhone beats it.

Mostly comes down to dynamic range, handling multiple different light sources and preserving details and color in lower light. With the f1.8 aperature, OIS, and larger pixel size than iPhone (1.4μm vs 1.26μm) this phone should be fantastic in low light. I believe the S8 has 1.4μm pixel size as well as a f1.7 and OIS so theroetically it could be better in low light but the HDR+ processing on the Pixels should give it the edge.

In what way?

More accurate and consistent colors, non-blown out highlights, more detail all for the Pixel 2. It's not even close.
Yeah, I can understand why people might prefer the iPhone shots, but if I want to use that image for anything other than Instagram, the Pixel is giving me a much better raw to work with.

ItIsOkBro

google-pixel-2-xl.jpg

This is a stunningly ugly phone
is that a phone inside another phone?

Charcoal

So I know how stupid this question is even before asking it, but based on the previous launch, is there any prediction on when the XL's will be back in stock?

LogicStep

The Moment case with lense is in stock for the 2 XL if anyone is interested. Without lense as well I believe.

Amazon has some stock but not much.

Kade

I'm hoping the Midnight Pixel 2 XL case gets restocked on the Google site. Decided to pre-order the phone a bit late. It's pretty pricy for a phone case but that's one of the downsides of having a preference for official cases. I thought the Nexus 6P case with the soft back was pretty nice and I didn't have the same issues (odor, peeling, etc) that others had.

trixx

They both look too similar for me to care to be honest. Its not like one is substantially better than the other. At least to me.

Either way it's a very high quality camera. The test on page before I think I may have picked mostly pixel then 8 which were both definitely better than galaxy

They both look too similar for me to care to be honest. Its not like one is substantially better than the other. At least to me.
If only the Pixel 2 had smaller bezels, I would have jumped, but as is it's just not enough of an upgrade for me.

I'm sure the camera is bonkers though.

TyrantII

It's weird how the iPhone aggressively warms/saturates everything almost by default, but I guess that's what people want.

It's the fat, salt, sugar version of the camera world. It's more appealing to our lizard brain untill you get more than a glance at what's going on.

Jeffrey

When can we expect reviews?

They shipping next week, so likely this week.not gonna expect many surprises though. Just hope Bluetooth is a bit better than last year and the stereo speakers are amazing.

The pixel XL 2 sacrificed a bunch of bezel space for these speakers so they better be worth it.

When can we expect reviews?
Spoiler:

"It's the best stock Android phone with a smart camera and Assistant holds a lot of promise, but it doesn't look as premium as the top Samsung and Apple offerings. Bezels. Also, there isn't a headphone jack, even though Google said they liked headphone jacks! Also, bezels. Headphone jack. You can squeeze it. 9/10."

Every review will be this.

spuckthew

I really want to know if that search bar can be moved or hidden. It's such a petty thing, but it's honestly making me hesitate on pressing that pre-order button.

jtan

Did anyone try to buy one using google financing and then get a message saying to wait to hear back?

I haven't heard back and not sure if I should contact google, or wait until the end of this week.

Top Bottom