• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel 2 - answers are coming Oct 4th

Jzero

Apparently this may be an image of the bottom of the device:
pixel-2-bottom.png

http://www.androidguys.com/2017/09/20/pixel-2-and-pixel-2-xl-could-see-3-5mm-headphone-jack-removed/
I mean, google hasn't put a headphone jack at the bottom on the last four phones i've bought from them

LogicStep

Yeah, dropping the headphone jack, especially int he regular Pixel which remains largely unchanged, is silly. If they say they did it to get stereo speakers in, that just pisses me off. I might be wrong, but I feel like if you took a worldwide poll of consumers on whether they'd prioritize a headphone jack or a second speaker, the jack would win.

Who the fuck even watches content on their phone with the seriousness that requires stereo speakers? If you're watching a movie on your phone, you're probably using headphones, because you're out of your house for whatever reason.
Nexus 6 has stereo speakers and headphone jack. To answer your question, I use the speakers when I'm at home and I want to watch a YouTube video or whatever while I'm on the dinner table eating or in the kitchen or anywhere that I'm busy doing something. I only use headphones at work or when in public. It has its uses, it's just a dumb reason for removing the jack.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, google hasn't put a headphone jack at the bottom on the last four phones i've bought from them

I did a double take and had to check my 6P to make sure I still have a headphone jack.

Edit: Also with phones costing more and more every year(nearly 1k or more), that Red phone with the super camera is looking pretty tempting, if I'm thinking of buying a phone around that price range.

It's so interesting how this thread is mirroring the early leaks/rumors of the original Pixel.

"Overpriced!"
"Ugly!"
"Bezels!"
"No Qi? Dead in the water!"
"Not Waterproof?"
"Why would anybody want this??"

And then Google nailed it out of the park with the best received, highest reviewed, critically praised, just about universally loved Android phone.

Like the original Pixel, I'm waiting for it to come out before making a harsh judgement. Google's batting 1.000 with the Pixel line so far, so giving them the benefit of the doubt.

pretty sure that
people still called it overpriced
and many reviewers called the back ugly
and they still dissed the bezels and this year it will be worse because of Apple
and this year no Qi will be worse because of Apple
and this year no Waterproofing will be worse because of Apple
and this year it still will struggle to break a million units... because of Google.

and no headphone jack

OG Kush

If they're replacing the headphone jack for stereo speakers... fuck that. And I'm pretty sure Google's Pixel 1's marketing campaign had certain references taking jabs at Apple for taking out the headphone jack?

just one camera at the front, so no smart stay 😿 i hope it's waterproof

Can anyone estimate when Google will open preorder windows for the XL?

Orbis

ArchAngel

This thing has to be good! It's the first time since the iPhone 3GS that I'm planning on getting it from my provider in a 2 year contract. I don't want to pay 1000€+ every year and the Pixel XL is running as smooth as day 1 so I have faith in this!
If the rumors are true about the new search (you can search for everything, even texts and infos inside an app) it's ok to me being right at the bottom.

One thing I discovered recently to my shame is the unlimited original quality photos/videos upload to Google Photos. This thing is pure magic. No more backups from my photos on my PC. I'm looking for a photo from my cat and my red couch? Search for "cat on red couch" and it's there. Totally underestimated the value in this and I hope Pixel 2 will also offer this. PLEASE!

norinrad

I'm a dual SIM guy these days. Work and private all in one phone. Google makes it happen and I'm sold.

Under 499 of course :p.

I want that XL yesterday.

Preferably for half price, though. That's going to hurt real bad.

I'd have grabbed the regular if it had similarly small bezels. Clearly Google trying to force the upsell.

Futureman

so with such large bezels on the 2 and small bezels on XL 2... I guess they will both physically be about the same size?

don't really care about true edge to edge display... the XL 2 looks really nice.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Yuck. Google manages to mess up even the bezel-less look. Glad I'm waiting until 2018/19 to upgrade. OG Pixel is pretty good still.

Yuck. Google manages to mess up even the bezel-less look. Glad I'm waiting until 2018/19 to upgrade. OG Pixel is pretty good still.

It's like all the wrong moves. High price. Delayed launch for the XL2. Uninspired bezels. Potentially only available via one carrier [Verizon].

This just about cements the LG V30 as my next phone.

Man these both look uninspired. Regular size might be one of the ugliest ”standard" design phones this year and XL lacks any originality (no curved edges, no notch, no ”edge to edge" just... chins. V30 has the best blend imo). Also no dual cams...

"No notch" is a complaint now? They should wear that like a badge of honor

I'm starting to think that the "answers are coming" stuff is going to be about Google Assistant. Like, you ask Assistant a question, and an answer will come. Something stupid, like that.

I know this is one of those "my opinion is fact" posts, but screw all this nonsense of the headphone jack being gone. I don't care that there's no headphone jack. Let it go so we can all move on.

Draper

I know this is one of those "my opinion is fact" posts, but screw all this nonsense of the headphone jack being gone. I don't care that there's no headphone jack. Let it go so we can all move on.

That's an opinion, but then there's also Google's opinion from less than a year ago that removing the jack is a stupid fucking idea.

Yet, here we are

That's an opinion, but then there's also Google's opinion from less than a year ago that removing the jack is a stupid fucking idea.

Yet, here we are

It's almost like companies say what's most advantageous to them at the time. Apple's gone back on their word on ton of things too

Top Bottom