• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel 2 - answers are coming Oct 4th

I'm sticking with my Pixel XL for as long as I can. It's been a fantastic phone and I've got no complaints with it.

I'm sticking with it until the last security update, which should be around October 2019. If Google doesn't do anything big next year, I might have to abandon ship.

The tear down of the V30 is very impressive. With this new info on the Pixel XL 2 I'm getting the subtle nudge towards the V30 as well especially since it will have a headphone jack, a removable storage card, dual cameras with great options, and great audio through the headphones. The only thing that makes me apprehensive is the loudspeaker. I've had a few phones with terrible load speakers [including the Lumia 950 XL]. A dual speaker option would have made the V30 just about perfect. :/

Fatalah

Here's the Pixel 2 in "Kinda Blue."

nexus2cee_p22-728x437.png

I love that Google brought back the 5X's blue. It's awesome.

I just wish the front panel was blue too, ala the Honor 5X.

kmfdmpig

That looks pretty ugly, IMO. The dual shade look doesn't work well.
The XL with black and white looks weird.
If the specs were great I'd certainly consider it, but no headphone jack and no SD card slot is a bit of a dealbreaker for me.

Draper

Jesus, everything leaked about this is so unimpressive.

Apple is pushing me off the plank, meanwhile Google comfortably nudges me back on the boat

Nightfall

I really love how the phones look, but the pricing... wow... I'd really like an XL 2 but over here it'll probably be over 1000€.

Sky Chief

People said exactly the same things before the Pixel was introduced (too expensive and not enough features) and yet it was by far the best phone

TouchWizz isn't really slow anymore, but it still noticeably has a million things going on.

The biggest downside to TouchWizz is Samsungs borderline psychotic OS update schedule. Because they release 95 versions of the same phone around the world software updates are so slow. Like 6 months+ later than Google at times. You're lucky to get one major Android update per Samsung handset because at the 2 year mark they stop updating too. It's painful.

Android updates have become patches mostly with incremental updates.

The S8 has most of the features that Oreo will have already on 7.x. And you get the monthly security updates. There is almost nothing new in Oreo that you already don't have on the S8 or S7. Actually the S8 on Nougat will probably do pop up windows better than phones on stock Oreo.

But people call those Samsung features bloat.

Yet when Google introduces something that Samsung already had, it's a brand new clean, stock and smooth feature.

gcubed

Sorry, Google, 6P battery fiasco has me burnt on your phones forever.

And no waterproofing and no headphone jack on this thing sealed the deal.

Going to Samsung, which I'm kinda apprehensive about, but whatev.

Why do people keep saying is not waterproof when every leak has said it is IP68 certified

Same. The V30 is looking fantastic except for the battery. 3500 would have been nice.

It's a shame they got rid of the removable battery from the V series. Otherwise it'd be the perfect current generation phone. I'm done with non-removable, I'll ride the V20 out until there's a flagship alternative. Hopefully some manufacturer will pick up the slack of what LG left behind. The mobile space race is over. I don't need a new phone every year or even every two anymore.

gcubed

It's a shame they got rid of the removable battery from the V series. Otherwise it'd be the perfect current generation phone. I'm done with non-removable, I'll ride the V20 out until there's a flagship alternative. Hopefully some manufacturer will pick up the slack of what LG left behind. The mobile space race is over. I don't need a new phone every year or even every two anymore.

Yea, I've bought a new one every year and I'm struggling to justify this one. The OG XL is still working flawlessly for me and at least until their presser I'm not seeing anything to justify a new phone. Performance hasn't been a problem, battery life hasn't been a problem and the camera is still great.

PARANO1A

Yeah, that price at those specs is a bit poor. Only Google phone I've skipped is the Nexus 6 since it was a poor upgrade from the 5 for the price, so I went with a OnePlus one. May need to see what else is out there this year.

Kade

I'm hoping there's some better news about the phone during the official reveal but if not I'll probably go for a LG V30 or find an original Pixel XL. My Nexus 6P had the bootloop issue and was out of warranty so I had to disable one of the cores to get it to function normally and it's only a matter of time before I get hit with the battery issue too. My one concern is that I really dislike other manufacturer's versions of Android and LG seems to have to most garbage in theirs.

People said exactly the same things before the Pixel was introduced (too expensive and not enough features) and yet it was by far the best phone

Yeah. I think the pixel 2 is gonna be awesome. It's seemingly overpriced but it is essentially the pixel 1 with a spec bump and better body, which was my only complaint about last year's model.

People blaming Google for the 6P battery thing as if they were the phone manufacturer.

So Google bears no responsibility for a Google-branded product? They have no ability to ensure quality control on a Google-branded product?

Why do people keep saying is not waterproof when every leak has said it is IP68 certified

Apologies if that did indeed leak and I missed it. But it definitely has not been "every leak" saying that it's waterproof - there have been several that have said it isn't.

linkboy

So Google bears no responsibility for a Google-branded product? They have no ability to ensure quality control on a Google-branded product?

Apologies if that did indeed leak and I missed it.

Google shares some blame, but the majority of it falls onto Huawei, who manufactured the phone and the issues with the phone are hardware defects.

Huawei has done a piss poor job of dealing with customers who's phones have been effected by the 6P's problems.

This is the precedent Apple has set, when it comes to pricing.

The more you spend on a phone the more you feel compelled to use it so you did not waste your money. This also brings hidden anxiety.

I fear we are slowly becoming slaves to our phones.

It's not mentally healthy for the majority of people to aspire to or to even own a phone this expensive.

Google shares some blame, but the majority of it falls onto Huawei, who manufactured the phone and the issues with the phone are hardware defects.

Huawei has done a piss poor job of dealing with customers who's phones have been effected by the 6P's problems.

Honestly, Google made the problem worse by starting to offer Pixel XLs as replacements to 6P users with defective phones - only to abruptly pull it in the middle of last weekend.

If you're going to be soulless corporate assholes, at least be consistent and don't start offering replacements for out-of-warranty phones only to change course just a couple days later. Really pisses off those of us who simply weren't lucky enough to see the news on the replacements in time.

LogicStep

I'd really like the Pixel 2 but it's really damn expensive. I might just go with a one plus. I'm just worried they'll release something shortly after if I do get one now. Sort of like they did with the 3 and 3T.

Honestly, Google made the problem worse by starting to offer Pixel XLs as replacements to 6P users with defective phones - only to abruptly pull it in the middle of last weekend.

If you're going to be soulless corporate assholes, at least be consistent and don't start offering replacements for out-of-warranty phones only to change course just a couple days later. Really pisses off those of us who simply weren't lucky enough to see the news on the replacements in time.

It was pulled because they ran out of them. The exchange was fine to clear out the current pixel line. It doesn't make it easier to deal with, but there lack of stock is why the offer was pulled

It was pulled because they ran out of them. The exchange was fine to clear out the current pixel line. It doesn't make it easier to deal with, but there lack of stock is why the offer was pulled

Seems like a logical explanation.

Would have preferred to hear an honest "Sorry, we were offering Pixel XLs as replacements but have now run out of stock" response from the Google CS reps I spoke with over the weekend, rather than the reps acting like they had never offered it to anyone at all, which was my actual experience.

Audioboxer

Nice bezels Google. When you remove the headphone jack quoting the usual "it gives us more space we desperately need" and then wheel out those bezels... lol. In a product this price when Samsung will offer a better-looking handset, with a headphone jack (at this current moment).

It's so interesting how this thread is mirroring the early leaks/rumors of the original Pixel.

"Overpriced!"
"Ugly!"
"Bezels!"
"No Qi? Dead in the water!"
"Not Waterproof?"
"Why would anybody want this??"

And then Google nailed it out of the park with the best received, highest reviewed, critically praised, just about universally loved Android phone.

Like the original Pixel, I'm waiting for it to come out before making a harsh judgement. Google's batting 1.000 with the Pixel line so far, so giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Nice bezels Google. When you remove the headphone jack quoting the usual "it gives us more space we desperately need" and then wheel out those bezels... lol. In a product this price when Samsung will offer a better-looking handset, with a headphone jack (at this current moment).

Top be fair those are the bezels for the Pixel 2. The Pixel 2 XL is slated to have bezels similar to the other flagship devices like the V30 and Note 8. The lack of additional storage is also a big negative for this device. I would have no issue with going with a 64 GB device if an external storage option was available. Not having that almost forces you to go 128 GB. A reasonable-ish price would be about $800 for 64 GB and $850 at most for 128 GB. I was optimistic about it even being $50 less but I guess that was a pipe dream.

It's so interesting how this thread is mirroring the early leaks/rumors of the original Pixel.

"Overpriced!"
"Ugly!"
"Bezels!"
"Not Waterproof?"

And then Google nailed it out of the park with the best received, highest reviewed, critically praised, just about universally loved Android phone.

Like the original Pixel, I'm waiting for it to come out before making a harsh judgement. Google's batting 1.000 with the Pixel line so far, so giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Google can have the best this and the highest reviewed that, it won't matter if people can't buy the fucking thing. My Nexus 4 died last year and you know what I ended up getting? A used Nexus 5. Google's gone totally insane on pricing since dropping Nexus and doing things like taking out the headphone jack does jack shit to add any value.

"Overpriced!"
"Ugly!"
"Bezels!"
"Not Waterproof?"

All of those things were important to me in a flagship phone, and still are. In particular, the lack of waterproofing stood out. As a 6P owner, I was really looking forward to it and it was so utterly disappointing.

Red

Fuck, I REALLY don't want to leave vanilla Android behind. Samsung... I just can't. But I'm with you on the 6P battery shit, the lack of a headphone jack (they even made a damn point out of having one last year), etc. What do I do.
How you guys didn’t see the headphone port retiring after a year or two of punk rock manufacturers stickin it to the man is beyond me.

"Overpriced!"
"Ugly!"
"Bezels!"
"Not Waterproof?"

Several of this phone's competitors have made huge strides in the past year, Samsung and LG most notably. This phone isn't keeping pace from a hardware perspective while still being set at a premium price point. (Unless Google adjusts the MSRP down by launch, which is still possible.)

That's a pretty big problem.

reKon

Banned

"Overpriced!"
"Ugly!"
"Bezels!"
"Not Waterproof?"

People were not able to buy the phone and no gives it shit about the Pixel and Pixel XL phones except for disgruntled 6P owners who were burned and wanted a free replacement phone.

Also, the One Plus phones give a similar experience and they are hundreds of dollars cheaper. It just has a slightly worse camera.

Ash735

And then Google nailed it out of the park with the best received, highest reviewed, critically praised, just about universally loved Android phone.*

*In America, maybe Canada, everywhere else the Pixel died on it's arse because it was priced MORE expensive than an iPhone and didn't offer any real benefit over it. Considering they also slated Apple for removing the headphone jack, ...then they go and do it with Pixel 2, ...and they keep the same design, meaning there's no real damn benefit to their fucking lies, and then it's going to cost MORE???? It's like yeah, fucking awesome that you've nailed the OS and Hardware working together fluently, but what in the holy fuck are you doing Google? It's like they've learnt NOTHING, ..even worse, they've UNLEARNED what advantage they had, they're going backwards when everyone else is pushing forwards.

killroy87

*In America, maybe Canada, everywhere else the Pixel died on it's arse because it was priced MORE expensive than an iPhone and didn't offer any real benefit over it. Considering they also slated Apple for removing the headphone jack, ...then they go and do it with Pixel 2, ...and they keep the same design, meaning there's no real damn benefit to their fucking lies, and then it's going to cost MORE???? It's like yeah, fucking awesome that you've nailed the OS and Hardware working together fluently, but what in the holy fuck are you doing Google? It's like they've learnt NOTHING, ..even worse, they've UNLEARNED what advantage they had, they're going backwards when everyone else is pushing forwards.

Yeah, dropping the headphone jack, especially int he regular Pixel which remains largely unchanged, is silly. If they say they did it to get stereo speakers in, that just pisses me off. I might be wrong, but I feel like if you took a worldwide poll of consumers on whether they'd prioritize a headphone jack or a second speaker, the jack would win.

Who the fuck even watches content on their phone with the seriousness that requires stereo speakers? If you're watching a movie on your phone, you're probably using headphones, because you're out of your house for whatever reason.

I get you. I quite likely might regret making the switch, but with the Pixel 2 looking like a dud and my 6P going to shit, I basically feel no choice but to skip Google's products for the next couple years.

It's a pretty shitty situation all around for us Nexus loyalists. Those of us with these defective 6Ps really need to replace our phones, and Google's not making it easy for us with this Pixel shit.
Yep
Going the s8+ route.
Fuck Google

Exile20

I get you. I quite likely might regret making the switch, but with the Pixel 2 looking like a dud and my 6P going to shit, I basically feel no choice but to skip Google's products for the next couple years.

It's a pretty shitty situation all around for us Nexus loyalists. Those of us with these defective 6Ps really need to replace our phones, and Google's not making it easy for us with this Pixel shit.

I am done with Google at this point. I called to replace my 6p and they give me the run around for two days then on Sunday they said they are not rma 6p's anymore. I was pissed.

The fact that the pixel 2 is not looking hot and the LG v30 is looking extremely good means I am moving from project fi to tmo with the lg v30. Google can fuck off.

Pixel 2 smaller one size
gsmarena_0003.0.jpg

Damn, those bezels are huge. I mean I am not a bezel elitist but that looks extreme compared to the new flag ship phone. Also what does the pixel 2 have that deems it flagship except for the price?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

They bear some responsibility, and that was shown by them replacing devices for people. As they were not the manufacturer of the phone, I don't think they deserve so much blame as to swear off any nexus / pixel device forever because of a manufacturer issue.

Top Bottom