• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel 2 - answers are coming Oct 4th

Kevyt

I'm honestly not worried about the headphone jack if they do something fancy with the "extra" space saved.

I prefer wireless headphones since I'm always on the move and it's better for working out as well. At least that's my preference.

Futureman

Anyone use the Google Now feed (or whatever it is called now?)

I thought it was funny, today in there I saw...

-iPhone X and 8 garner mixed reviews
-Why Google's upcoming phone is more exciting than the iPhone X
-iPhone X's unsightly notch

gcubed

Curious to see what the XL will look like. Between the XL, X and Note8, the 2017 phone lineups have been pretty damn nice on the high end.

Only issue being the XL being a LG phone which has me concerned for bootloops.

You should want to get it! If past performance is anything to go by when it starts failing in 2 years you will get the 2018 XL in return!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
this is my last hope at a new phone this year. the S8 + iPhone 8/X don't interest me.

i would love a Pixel. pls don't goof it up google. at this point i'll happily deal with a higher price and lack of headphone jack. i just want a new phone. no stupid hardware (s8/iphone 8 + x) or ridiculous software (s8).

NCSOFT

I think it's going to be between the Pixel XL 2 and V30 for me, looks like both will be LG made. Excited to see what Pixel XL 2 beings to the table.

Ash735

I'm honestly not worried about the headphone jack if they do something fancy with the "extra" space saved.
How do you like the sound of an extra fancy speaker? Now your phone will have TWO speakers on it, for those times you want to listen to music from your phone directly! Screw headphones! Now you can be annoying like kids used to be on the back of the bus in the mid-2000's blaring music from their phone speakers!

I think it's going to be between the Pixel XL 2 and V30 for me, looks like both will be LG made. Excited to see what Pixel XL 2 beings to the table.

The V30 looks like a nice phone especially if you're big on camera options. If the note 8 was a little cheaper and had dual speakers I would probably go with that but the location of the finger print scanner is a little annoying on the note 8 however.

Alienfan

I hope they drop the headphone jack and replace it with something that isn't trash. I've had nothing but problems with headphone jacks, they seem to be the only port that breaks or fails in some way on almost every device I've owned for longer than 1 year.

I still find it disappointing that Google has moved away from cheaper phones. Pixel does nothing to me since it's soooooo out of my budget range.

OnePlus is probably the company that fills that niche now with flagship phones hitting the $1000 range.

The cheapest model of the One Plus 5 has all the things you'd expect from a flagship except:

6 inch screen
Edge to edge display
Quad HD

For lacking those three things, you save almost $500 on a phone.

I was considering a Pixel 2 or XL 2 or but meh... I ended up buying a Moto G5 Plus which is good enough though not long after that I found out about the "S" versions were coming already. On the other hand, not crazy about the slowness of OS updates, they only just a couple weeks ago released the March security patch for it and it's still on 7.0. >_>

If the S8 can manage a headphone jack, while being debatably the sexiest phone out there from a design perspective, other companies have very little excuses.

Can't stress this enough, be it fucking Apple, Google or Essential, if the Sexiest phone in the market with the best display and minimalist bezel can get it done, so can any other premium phone manufacturer.

AndersK

OnePlus is probably the company that fills that niche now with flagship phones hitting the $1000 range.

The cheapest model of the One Plus 5 has all the things you'd expect from a flagship except:

6 inch screen
Edge to edge display
Quad HD

For lacking those three things, you save almost $500 on a phone.

Yeah, I can second this. Performance is among the best too.
It's not quite the deal the 3T was, but in light of increased prices on flagships it quite great really.

Compared to the 6P, it really wasn't worth the premium. It's the first time I dropped Google's "official device" since the G1. I even bought the Galaxy Nexus.

Good call. You'll get the DAC and it makes everything sound amazing. The one in my V20 is night and day difference.
Having no headphone jack is preposterous, I thank LG for being on the right side of history and pushing for high end DACs on high end phones.

Melchior

I've been on and off the fence about swapping out of iphones since I'm on 6s but I'm just gonna swap off to One Plus 5 around the holidays this year. I love IOS but the no headphone jack is absolute killer so I'm not going to upgrade iphones. Pretty excited to get the android experience.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
While we are asking questions, will this phone also be sold only in like 10 countries?

This is what I want to know. The Pixel was never officially sold here in Sweden, even though the Nexuses before it were. Maybe because of production issues? I don't know, but they need to sort that shit out if they're gonna pretend to be a legitimate competitor to Apple and Samsung.

No headphone jack and it's still super pricey for me. The no jack thing particularly doesn't work for me as my car is old but happens to have a radio with an AUX jack so I can still listen to my Google Play Music through the cable.

that just means you keep the headphone adapter in the car plugged into the Aux cable..

Mmm if it's going for more than last year's models this year then it'll be more expensive than the iPhone 8/8+... doesn't seem smart

VoxPop

You should want to get it! If past performance is anything to go by when it starts failing in 2 years you will get the 2018 XL in return!

Hearing about all these people getting a free Pixel XL for that 6P debacle makes me wish I invested in one back then :p

Rktk

Hearing about all these people getting a free Pixel XL for that 6P debacle makes me wish I invested in one back then :p

While unfortunately they have just replaced mine with another 6P (UK) it is reassuring to have such a great warranty, I wouldn't consider buying a Pixel from anyone other than Google directly.

I am one of those people, but to be fair, the 6P's problem is really bad. Like, at any given time, I have no idea how much battery I have left on mine, which makes it almost unusable when not plugged in or at least nearby a power source.

cube444

Exact same situation as mine. This started after an update I did almost a year ago but has gotten to a worse state like yours.

Have they ever explained why this happened?

As far as we can tell in the Nexus 6P thread, Huawei cut corners on the battery, which is why lots of us are getting premature shutdowns (mine shuts down at around 50% now). Google is aware of the problem but has no fix, except to replace the devices.

Jzero

As far as we can tell in the Nexus 6P thread, Huawei cut corners on the battery, which is why lots of us are getting premature shutdowns (mine shuts down at around 50% now). Google is aware of the problem but has no fix, except to replace the devices.
How did they cut corners exactly? I honestly would still be using my 6P to this moment if it didn't have those terrible shutdowns.

lord pie

I'm a bit torn on this.

On the one hand I really like the Fi service (especially their international calling and roaming), but I completely despise the phone lock in.

Also in typical Google arseholery, one of the most important features for me (night mode) got removed in the 7.0->7.1 update on the 5x and became pixel exclusive. :mad:
So I'm kinda bitter about that. Doesn't help the 5X has terrible auto brightness either (and awful speakers too..)

So I would like a better phone, I'm not an apple fan, don't like Google as a company either but do like their Fi service... Hmph :/

I miss windows phone :(

Ballistik

So here I am thinking that $1000 for the iPhone X is crazy and I see this from Google. The back of the white and black one looks really bad. Are they removing the bezels, introducing some new gimmick? what is in this that would justify a price increase? These "answers" they are talking about better be good, because this does not look like my next phone after the 6P. Sigh.

Sorry, Google, 6P battery fiasco has me burnt on your phones forever.

And no waterproofing and no headphone jack on this thing sealed the deal.

Going to Samsung, which I'm kinda apprehensive about, but whatev.

Audioboxer

Shit is so laughable, and it's ugly as sin to boot!

It's not offensively bad looking, but the two tone back piece is a bit dumb. Material wise that is.

The price jump for the Pixel was already tough to stomach as the Nexus line was always priced well and decent enough on the specs. Then OnePlus obviously came in as a cheap competitor. The Pixel went to Samsung like prices and while you can't beat AOSP, Samsung hardware design is better than Google. More premium.

Now the Pixel is further going up in price and Google really have zero reason to remove the headphone jack. Competitors like Samsung better not be in the pockets of Beats headphones and instead stick it to Google with advertising a jack. I've not got any time for carrying around adapters and I'm not going wireless.

If they're really trying to replicate the 6P look, they've missed the mark completely.

6P (whose design I still love despite being pissed about the shit battery) had the cool visor. This just looks like the entire top was dipped in tar.

Top Bottom