• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel 2 - answers are coming Oct 4th

Jeff-DSA

I absolutely love my Pixel XL. It's a fantastic phone. Lack of headphone jack has me skipping the next iteration though. Sucks.

killroy87

I wonder what the split of sales was between the Pixel and Pixel XL, because they're really giving the regular Pixel the shaft here. It's arguably getting worse. There has to be a reason they're focusing all effort on the XL.

snap

Banned
giphy.gif

lol right?

small pixel already has the biggest bezels you can find on the phone, now its even worse?

wtf u doing Google.

I love my small pixel, its the perfect sequel to the Nexus 5, but I am skipping this year's version, from the rumors it sounds terrible.

Save us OnePlus6.

should say, i misread this line from one of the latest leaks:

the bezels are the same size around a smaller screen, not larger bezels around the same size screen. i edited my original post to reflect this.

I wonder what the split of sales was between the Pixel and Pixel XL, because they're really giving the regular Pixel the shaft here. It's arguably getting worse. There has to be a reason they're focusing all effort on the XL.

so last year HTC signed a multiyear contract with google to build the pixel phones, which means google is legally obligated to put out a pixel phone made by htc. however, this is the year everybody is going bezelless... everyone but htc, that is (note how none of the htc phones this year have smaller bezels). so what google did is that they're getting one of the phones made by LG (the XL) so that they have at least one "bezelless" phone, while having the smaller phone made by htc, who for whatever reason are unable to design and build a phone with small bezels.

I have a Nexus 6P right now, the best features are it's camera and OS.

Having said that, I want to upgrade to the latest Pixel 2 XL, the leaks so far to date have been very promising.

linkboy

I'm honestly content with my XL for another year. I got it back in July and it's been rock solid.

I think my next upgrade might actually be the XL 3. With it looking like the XL 2 won't support T-Mobile's Band 71, there's really no incentive for me to upgrade over the XL.

I honestly don't care about the headphone jack, as I use Bluetooth headphones and my car has Bluetooth support.

crazyprac

Excited. Need to get of this 5x even though it's a nice phone, getting the constant bootloop in several devices was no bueno.

killroy87

so last year HTC signed a multiyear contract with google to build the pixel phones, which means google is legally obligated to put out a pixel phone made by htc. however, this is the year everybody is going bezelless... everyone but htc, that is (note how none of the htc phones this year have smaller bezels). so what google did is that they're getting one of the phones made by LG (the XL) so that they have at least one "bezelless" phone, while having the smaller phone made by htc, who for whatever reason are unable to design and build a phone with small bezels.

Hmm, that's interesting. Really sucks for people like me who don't want a large phone, it's a big slap in the face. Gives almost zero reason to upgrade.

I'm disappointed the rumor is that they're raising the price, but I guess that's expected. I just want a reasonably priced, reasonably decent, no frills phone, like the Nexus line. I guess that ship has sailed though.

Nightfall

This is why we'll never stop losing the headphone jack lol. If people actually care that much, they need to speak with their wallet.

The problem is there’s simply no other phone interesting me that still has one.
If I switch from iOS to android I’ll only do it with stock android. And the closest would be a oneplus 5. but since that got so many mixed reviews...
The LG V30 sounds nice but I don’t like their software.

But I totally get what you’re saying.

Google can fuck off if there's no headphone jack. And so can any other manufacturer that presses this hot shite on us. I don't care if you call me old man yelling at cloud but there is absolutely no need to push this inconvenience on us beside some ridiculously contrived reasoning that makes no sense.

The standard pixel looks hideous with that 2016 design and the xl is too big. This phone is going to flop hard, they need to make the xl narrower and smaller matching the s8 dimensions.

Also, if it doesn't have depth cameras like iphonex then gtfo

Long story short: good software on dated hardware is what I'm expecting, the smaller pixel is doa

Kyzer

Banned
Google can fuck off if there's no headphone jack. And so can any other manufacturer that presses this hot shite on us. I don't care if you call me old man yelling at cloud but there is absolutely no need to push this inconvenience on us beside some ridiculously contrived reasoning that makes no sense.

Agreed, its made even more ridiculous when you realize that people use headphones for things other than listening to music on their phones. They are not going to change the entire audio industry with phones.

snap

Banned

the 3.5mm housing is big man. if it was smaller less design teams would drop it

Vuze

I'm excited for this. But just to see how they spin the lack of a headphone jack after last years dig.
But perhaps it's just some weird fake leak by them to make people go crazy when it's still there after all lol

Kyzer

Banned

if they can fit it into the OnePlus 5 and S8 then this theory is essentially debunked, obviously removing things creates more room. the idea that the headphone jack isnt necessary because we can buy an adapter is dumb as hell IMO. its some Apple shit

killroy87

If the S8 can manage a headphone jack, while being debatably the sexiest phone out there from a design perspective, other companies have very little excuses.

Why can't you get supply issues worked out after 8 years when you only sell a million units total between the two sizes? Other companies sell your annual volume in a week.

Ash735

Then how in holy hell do you explain the normal Pixel 2 BEING THE SAME SIZE as the Pixel 1 and yet lacks and headphone jack? In favour of STEREO SPEAKERS?

No dual camera and or double speakers for the XL? Hmmm

The XL 2 is reported to have double speakers as well. I'm not sure why the render omitting the second speaker is still making the rounds. I don't think a dual camera is in though. They are apparently focusing on a better low light camera option with EIS instead OIS. We'll see if they beat out the V30 in the camera department.

I wonder if I'll feel stifled by the no expandable storage option. 128 GB is good but I've used storage cards forever and I'd hate to feel limited.

I'm not excited about the lack of headphone jack but I"ll live.

The speaker audio better be amazing though.

killroy87

Then how in holy hell do you explain the normal Pixel 2 BEING THE SAME SIZE as the Pixel 1 and yet lacks and headphone jack? In favour of STEREO SPEAKERS?

They're literally taking away a more favored way of listening to sound through your phone in favor of bolstering a more obnoxious way. If I'm in a situation where I need to use my phone to watch/listen to media (meaning, usually outside my home or in transit), then I'm probably not in a situation where I want to use the phone's speakers.

snap

Banned
functionality > design when it comes to technology

no headphone jack, no buy.

good for you, that does nothing alleviate the stress engineers have to go through trying to appease everyone while also trying to make the phone as compact and thin as possible

if they can fit it into the OnePlus 5 and S8 then this theory is essentially debunked, obviously removing things creates more room. the idea that the headphone jack isnt necessary because we can buy an adapter is dumb as hell IMO. its some Apple shit

the S8 is taller than other phones in its class and has a small battery for its screen size. the oneplus 5 had to put in its screen upside down to fit in everything properly

you answered yourself, they removed the headphone jack and used that space for another speaker

LogicStep

I was looking on Amazon for Bluetooth headphones and there's cheap alternatives available so I'm not really worried about that aspect. Hate the idea of having to charge headphones but that's about it. They should have just kept it in unless they are adding something amazing that needed the space the jack was taking but I doubt that.

Kthulhu

Hopefully they'll be something that wasn't leaked in the announcement that is cool. A lot of the leaks are kind of a bummer.

I use earbuds on my phone sometimes when at the gym or walking around my house doing chores so I'll just put the adapter at the end of those earbuds

Might get the v30 though.

If the S8 can manage a headphone jack, while being debatably the sexiest phone out there from a design perspective, other companies have very little excuses.

their excuse is they make more money by excluding it,

like that year Samsung used their own SoC in the Note 5 and GS6 because the Snapdragon was trash that year but everyone else used the SD anyway,

JaseMath

DEjnUpXXkAIS-b5.jpg

Here's a size comparison based on leaked specs if anyone is interested. XL2 is a hair bigger than the 2016 Pixel XL.

killroy87

DEjnUpXXkAIS-b5.jpg

Here's a size comparison based on leaked specs if anyone is interested. XL2 is a hair bigger than the 2016 Pixel XL.

Honestly, the Pixel 2 doesn’t look that great to me. The bezels are certainly smaller, but they’re still there. I feel like it’s still got a bit to go to look like a true premium product in 2017.

Kevyt

The XL 2 is reported to have double speakers as well. I'm not sure why the render omitting the second speaker is still making the rounds. I don't think a dual camera is in though. They are apparently focusing on a better low light camera option with EIS instead OIS. We'll see if they beat out the V30 in the camera department.

I wonder if I'll feel stifled by the no expandable storage option. 128 GB is good but I've used storage cards forever and I'd hate to feel limited.

I'm not excited about the lack of headphone jack but I"ll live.

The speaker audio better be amazing though.

EIS instead of OIS? Ugh... I:

Edit: Sorry for double post~

VeeP

Pic of larger phone:

Damn, that looks pretty good.

Normal Pixel 2 reminds me of the Pixel 1, pretty much suffering from the same issue iPhone 8 is, bezels too large, looks almost exactly like older phones/lastgen.

Snakeyes

good for you, that does nothing alleviate the stress engineers have to go through trying to appease everyone while also trying to make the phone as compact and thin as possible
We've reached diminishing returns when it comes to thinness. Anything below 8 mm thick is thin enough and leaves ample space for a headphone jack. There are Chinese phones more than 2 years old that are less than 5 mm thick and still manage to retain a headphone jack.

Top Bottom