• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
my regular gets 25+ hrs prjected time, I never let it go that far and charge it overnight, but battery is just something I don't have to worry about anymore

The bolded is the most apt description for me. As a moderate to light user, I do still charge it overnight, but I don't have to. It could carry me through two complete days without a problem.

Still no VR headset code here...I noticed that Google's VR app updated so maybe they're rolling them out soon? Anybody who ordered from the Play Store get a code yet?

snacknuts

we all knew her
The Live Case I ordered for my Pixel got delivered yesterday and I love it. I configured the button on the back to turn my flashlight on and off. It's a bit more slippery than I was expecting, but it's perfectly acceptable.

Still no VR headset code here...I noticed that Google's VR app updated so maybe they're rolling them out soon? Anybody who ordered from the Play Store get a code yet?

They're not expected to go out until the return window for your phone is closed.

Any body can give a good estimate how long this takes to filter thru to the phone or does everyone just get the update via a webpage?

Experiences differ depending on your carrier.
What's really surprising is how slow Google rolls OTA updates out to Nexus + Project Fi users. I switched to the Pixel a couple weeks ago, but up until the end of Oct by Nexus 6 still hadn't received Android 7.0 on Project Fi. Friends of mine with tne N6 on T-Mobile got it. Same thing happened with Android 6.1 on N6 and Fi.

Project Fi rollout is pretty damn slow for OTA.

So many anecdotes about crazy XL battery life. I need some for the one-handed size so I know what to choose.

I've still been getting insane battery life. after 17 or 18 hours daily, when I go to plugin at night, I still have 15-20 hours left. I use the phone about the same as my Nexus 6 and previously iPhone 5S, and both of those I'd have to plugin at the end of th e night or charge while driving home.

The bolded is the most apt description for me. As a moderate to light user, I do still charge it overnight, but I don't have to. It could carry me through two complete days without a problem.

Yep, this. I'd imagine if I left it over night the 20hours projected remaining time would be longer as I don't use the phone over night.

Anandtech review

The Anandtech review is out. Can't say it matches my experience, but it might be worth a read. I wouldn't take this review in isolation though.

I feel like the way they test battery recently is very interesting to say the least... that said, I was eagerly anticipating the display analysis. The performance/benchmarks section really didn't come with any surprises imo. As usual, well-written and impeccably researched. They went against the grain with their note 7 review, and that actually was the one that matched my sentiments with the phone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Anandtech review

The Anandtech review is out. Can't say it matches my experience, but it might be worth a read. I wouldn't take this review in isolation though.

Google needs to take the time to fix basic OS performance. The fact that the Pixel is slower in the web benchmarks than last year's iPhone is something Google should have fixed long ago. It's more worrying since Google wants to charge a premium.

thespot84

Left my regular pixel off the charger over night for the first time, I can see where doze set in (graph went flat) and the estimate went from 25 to 35 hrs. Cray cray

Edit: I feel like Anand reviewed a different phone...

Google needs to take the time to fix basic OS performance. The fact that the Pixel is slower in the web benchmarks than last year's iPhone is something Google should have fixed long ago. It's more worrying since Google wants to charge a premium.

Add in the fact that iOS has ad-block support built into Safari and the performance difference is even bigger.

Kaiken

Banned
FedEx was supposed to deliver my phone by end of day today. Thought I can leave work early and beat the delivery. Got a notification that the package was delivered and left on the porch. Immediately called someone to check for me and they were able to grab it in time. I just, two weeks ago had an Amazon package stolen from my front porch. Boggles my mind Google doesn't require a signature for these, fuck.

Anyways! Can't wait to leave work in a few hours to play with my new investment.

Vyer

anand review seems pretty inline with everything else really. camera is great, better performance than a lot of android phones. watching some of those 'speed test' videos demonstrates that the Pixel tends to fall behind when you get to opening and switching between apps, in comparison to other handsets.

battery life anecdotes are going to be all over the map, as with any phone. the benchmarks are just intended to try and find some consistency when comparing.

wouldn't ad block give the iphone an advantage that needs to be taken into account, since you're not loading ads?

ad blockers still need to be installed, i'd imagine anand isn't using them in the benchmarks

thespot84

anand review seems pretty inline with everything else really. camera is great, better performance than a lot of android phones. watching some of those 'speed test' videos demonstrates that the Pixel tends to fall behind when you get to opening and switching between apps, in comparison to other handsets.

battery life anecdotes are going to be all over the map, as with any phone. the benchmarks are just intended to try and find some consistency when comparing.

ad blockers still need to be installed, i'd imagine anand isn't using them in the benchmarks

So what was Junior Mint talking about?

co1onel

I'd love it if you could post a quick 'yay or nay' with what you expected out of it. Wish there were more color choices, but this seems up my alley since all I really do just need something with a grip on it, and a place to stick my dashboard magnet.
Sorry for the late response, Amazon 2-day shipping failed me.
ba2079898f
I really like the case, however I will say that it's not as grippy as I expected. It's definitely more grip than the phone naked or with most matte cases, but it's got a soft feeling to it that I really like. The lip raises just barely above the screen so you can still set it face down on a flat surface without worrying about scratches. I don't know how big a dashboard magnet is, but I tried putting a credit card under it. While it fit, the bottom of the case was raised up a bit. Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but I quite like it. It doesn't have as much protection as the spigen liquid crystal I was using, but it feels and looks so much better. All I really wanted was something to prevent the back glass from getting scratched without adding too much bulk.

On a side note, I somehow got 9 hours of SoT today. I was using it pretty much constantly though, so there was little off screen battery draining. Just doing normal stuff like browsing web, watching YouTube, etc. I usually average around 7 hours, so I'm wondering if the update I got yesterday had any effect.

I just ordered the Verizon Pixel XL with a December 16th ship date. I don't mind the locked boot loader. I'm trading in a iPhone 6s for value. Eventually when fully paid off I want to jump to project fi. Will I be able to take a Verizon phone to project fi after it's paid off?

Got the November security patch on my Verizon Pixel XL just now. If that keeps up, I'll be thrilled to seeing them sticking to their word.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So uhhh with the Daydream actually out now, should I be worried that I haven't gotten my code for a free one from Google yet?

Sky Chief

Where the fuck is MKBHD's review!? The phone's been out for almost a month now. He can do a review of the Mi Max before it even releases even though it's not even sold in the US but he can't do a Pixel review?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yo normal people are buying the Pixel. Wow. I'm surprised it's actually working. That's great to hear.

Where the fuck is MKBHD's review!? The phone's been out for almost a month now. He can do a review of the Mi Max before it even releases even though it's not even sold in the US but he can't do a Pixel review?
He hasn't done a review of the Mi Max nor of the iPhone 7.

all his reviews are completely predictable. He will say it's missing high end features but he has grown to love it and it's his favourite android phone ever and he loves the camera and there's room for improvement.

~fin

taco543

Don't know if anyone is interested but the phone case company carved is now taking pre orders on Pixel and Pixel XL cases. I have a case from them for my nexus 6p and love the quality and thought Id post it here Referral link/ < the link is a referral link that'll give 10% off if you don't want that link heres the default one: Non Referral Link

here's what they look like:

killroy87

Android noob question. I know the google play store has a setting to only download updates over wifi, but is there one to only download anything on the Play store on wifi? The Apple app store will make it so you can't, so i don't accidentally waste a lot of data (as i just did on my Pixel).

JoseDFrog

Banned
Ended up getting the pixel xl and I'm loving it so far. It's my first non Samsung Android phone in a long time and I really like the Samsung browser. It's a lot like Chrome but with smoother scrolling and adblocking. Is there a similar browser on the play store?

Husker86

Ended up getting the pixel xl and I'm loving it so far. It's my first non Samsung Android phone in a long time and I really like the Samsung browser. It's a lot like Chrome but with smoother scrolling and adblocking. Is there a similar browser on the play store?

RSBrowser.

You might have to manually enable permissions to be able to select your Google account (assuming you want the same Chrome syncing)

SMattera

My man!

I still want my phone to fit in my pocket without being a major pain in the ass.

Don't wear skinny jeans?

Pixel XL fits in the pockets of all my pants just fine. It's never even remotely been an issue.

The bigger problem for me with the larger screen sizes is that, on occasion, it's a pain to use one-handed. Doable, but challenging. Still, I think it's a worthy tradeoff for the extra real estate.

Wark

I'm thinking about picking one of these up in the next couple of days. I had the S6 Edge since around launch and I really hate the curved screen. In the past, on-screen buttons were a huge turn off to me, but it definitely isn't a deal breaker when it comes to this phone.

I'm thinking XL, but I gotta hold it first - plus, a lot of times, I wear skinnies.

Got just under six hours of SOT for the first time yesterday on my XL. Digging it, but not sure why yesterday, compared to all other days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom