• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP wants to remove Sexual Assault as part of Title IX Harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Sorry, for FoxNews link... I was trying to read about their Trump perspective on Russia.. but saw this instead.

Republican furor about the Department of Education stems from 2011 when the department began pressing colleges to more aggressively police sexual assaults and threatening to take away Title IX funding from schools that failed to do so. Title IX is a law enacted in 1972 that prohibits any educational program or activity that receives federal financial assistance from denying benefits to or discriminating against someone based on their sex.

“Some of the most egregious examples of executive overreach and intimidation” took place at the department, “and I believe it was this type of overreach that the American people repudiated in this election,” Lankford told the College Fix.

Since the Obama administration’s crackdown on schools, a number of students who have been found guilty by their colleges of sexual assault have filed lawsuits alleging their due process rights were violated during the investigation and ruling of the cases.

“What we represent is not a popular issue, we know that,” Cynthia Garrett, co-president of Families Advocating for Campus Equality, which supports due process rights for accused students, told FoxNews.com back in November. “But there are so many young men whose lives have been destroyed by these allegations.”

Think about the young men whose lives were ruined... but forget about the all the women getting far worse happening to them on campuses all the time?

I do agree that there's been sometimes overstepping of due process, but the end result of including sexual assault as part of Title IX is good.. especially considering the many scandals of late where schools have put sports ahead of doing the right thing.

Full FoxNews story:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...obamas-actions-on-college-sexual-assault.html

Title should say "wants to"

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Is this for fucking real? Can I say I hate the GOP? I don't mean conservatives or rural white America or anything like that but the elected officials and leaders of a party who constantly try to outdo comic book super villains for how evil and callous they can be. Fuck these pieces of shit.

Kthulhu

As usual with right wingers. If it doesn't work like they like it then they will try to throw it all away instead of trying to improve it.

WetWaffle

How could they have so little regard for the women, who would be physically AND emotionally traumatized from the sexual assault? Couple that with the victim-blamers in real life and online, and she can become absolutely miserable, much more than the fucking perpetrator.

Is this for fucking real? Can I say I hate the GOP? I don't mean conservatives or rural white America or anything like that but the elected officials and leaders of a party who constantly try to outdo comic book super villains for how evil and callous they can be. Fuck these pieces of shit.

Nah I'm sure tons of them don't mind this

sphagnum

Banned
How could they have so little regard for the women, who would be physically AND emotionally traumatized from the sexual assault? Couple that with the victim-blamers in real life and online, and she can become absolutely miserable, much more than the fucking perpetrator.

"If they don't want to be assaulted, they shouldn't dress like sluts!"

NervousXtian

How was their due process violated?

Say in the case of the Minnesota Football players who were not criminally charged, but suspended.. and then more that were never even questioned before were suspended.

Though there is a problem with law enforcement taking things seriously with on campus incidents, and campus police being hugely inconsistent across the board... but still this is a bad move by the GOP if they do this.

Fix the standards and make sure people get due process, and punish schools who don't do what's right when things are brought to their attention.

Wolfe

This is such a joke considering half the time I hear about some dude sexually assaulting a girl on campus it's for the fact he's getting a super lenient sentence.*

If the guy's white that is.

jambo

But both sides are the same.

NewFresh

Yeah, but what if she made it all up for the attention! Did you ever think of that?!?!?

kirblar

Title IX is a legitimately awful way to try and address the issues w/ how schools handle sexual assault. However, it was also just about the only way they were able to do it (because of the GOP lockdown on congress.)

The due process concerns are actually legitimate here, the problem is that the GOP (just like with the ACA) has no interest in replacing/correcting the actual underlying issue that led to the externalities.

WetWaffle

"If they don't want to be assaulted, they shouldn't dress like sluts!"

The fact that some men and even some women think that is sickening. Making excuses cause some don't have enough self-control not to touch/grab someone who doesn't wanna be touched.

jfkgoblue

While schools have used this provision to essentially take away the rights of the accused, the GOP would rather blow it up than actually fix the problem.

Elandyll

Banned
He's not even president yet.
Imagine what they can do in -FOUR YEARS-.

We might not even recognize the country at all when they're done, because we'll be back in the 1950's.

Except for the white poor/ lower middle class, which will be much worse off, not better, contrarily to what Trump has been selling.

This is what happens when people have voted for some rich celebrity asshat that doesn't have a clue about running a country.

kirblar

Framing this as a war between victims and alleged perpetrators is not ok.

Fixing things for one side does not mean you need to or should ignore the effect on the other, nor is it a "battle of who is hurt more" where you ignore negative effects on one group.

This is what happens when people have voted for some rich celebrity asshat that doesn't have a clue about running a country.

nah this is just the end result of several decades of work after the civil rights act was passed. Nixon, Reagan, Republicans under Clinton, Bush Jr, the Tea Party...

Burglekutt

Sorry, for FoxNews link... I was trying to read about their Trump perspective on Russia.. but saw this instead.

Think about the young men whose lives were ruined... but forget about the all the women getting far worse happening to them on campuses all the time?

I do agree that there's been sometimes overstepping of due process, but the end result of including sexual assault as part of Title IX is good.. especially considering the many scandals of late where schools have put sports ahead of doing the right thing.

Full FoxNews story:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...obamas-actions-on-college-sexual-assault.html

Title should say "wants to"

I thought the justice system was supposed to be based off the ideal that 10 guilty people go free rather than 1 innocent person be punished

How was their due process violated?

State(government) run universities are determining guilt of(punishing) a student without a proper trial

NervousXtian

Because this is about handling sexual assault through whatever made up process a school comes up with instead of the real court system that has protections for the accused.

There is a wikipedia page just on the due process issues: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campus_assault_due_process

It's something the Department of Ed. has recognized too

Yeah, there's legit problems with the way it's being done.. but instead of fixing the problems they'll just nuke them.

Considering that schools even in very recent years were still trying to hide and cover-up sexual assaults is fucked up.

EVOL 100%

Reads like an Onion article.

Somehow, I get the feeling that I'll be thinking about that for a lot of news stories that come out

kirblar

I mean if the law is unfair to some of the accused, issue guidelines to fix it instead of repeal?
They can't. Title IX was a really, really ugly way of implementing this, where they told them "fix this or we withhold funding", but that "withhold funding" part was literally the only leverage they had. There was no granularity or ability to tell them how to do it.

devilhawk

While schools have used this provision to essentially take away the rights of the accused, the GOP would rather blow it up than actually fix the problem.
Yeah.

Universities purely look at these cases through PR now. Either they hide and cover it up, which only hurts the victims, or they immediately and bluntly punish the accused, which potentially creates new victims. It seems any attempt to be judicious and thorough is met with massive backlash in social media and the press. Universities all too often just chose to make it go away in any way possible.

A lot of it comes down to schools not having the resources or wherewithal to be doing what are essentially criminal investigations.

Gallbaro

Banned
Wouldn't this likely be beneficial to victims? Didn't this have the unintended side effect of removing sexual assault by and to adults into a made up court of the school's invention? This ended up treating sexual assault as if it happened in a day care facility.
Apart from the fact that university has devolved into "College Experience" aka adult day care.

FStubbs

so its ok for the government to fuck with your life without convicting you of anything as long as they dont put you in a cell?

ap97073002839-e1391008722260.jpg

This man saved lots of lives in the Atlanta '96 bombing. Was then accused of actually being the bomber until the day he died, though was never formally charged.

hat.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

This man, one of the foremost biological weapons experts we have, was accused of sending anthrax to people for years, but again, was never formally charged.

Both of these "persons of interest" were innocent.

Burglekutt

ap97073002839-e1391008722260.jpg

This man saved lots of lives in the Atlanta '96 bombing. Was then accused of actually being the bomber until the day he died, though was never formally charged.

hat.jpg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpg

This man, one of the foremost biological weapons experts we have, was accused of sending anthrax to people for years, but again, was never formally charged.

Both of these "persons of interest" were innocent.

whats your point?

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Yeah.

Universities purely look at these cases through PR now. Either they hide and cover it up, which only hurts the victims, or they immediately and bluntly punish the accused, which potentially creates new victims. It seems any attempt to be judicious and thorough is met with massive backlash in social media and the press. Universities all too often just chose to make it go away in any way possible.

A lot of it comes down to schools not having the resources or wherewithal to be doing what are essentially criminal investigations.

Pretty much this.

They can't. Title IX was a really, really ugly way of implementing this, where they told them "fix this or we withhold funding", but that "withhold funding" part was literally the only leverage they had. There was no granularity or ability to tell them how to do it.

Yeah. Doing this through Title IX and leaving the people who think college football players shouldn't be paid in charge of sexual assault was pretty high up there on the "fucking stupid idea" list. (Seriously, the same idiots in charge of the NCAA, aka school administrators, are in charge of protecting women on their campus. This never had a chance in hell of succeeding)

If the GOP weren't just going to nuke it from orbit and fuck women I'd actually be OK with looking at a way of protecting women and due process. But I think we all know that won't happen, so, fuck the GOP.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, under normal circumstances I'd actually be fine with this, because the Title IX provisions for this were pretty bad in implementation. But I'd also be concerned about improving police handling of assault cases so they'd be dealing with the crimes instead of the schools, and coming up with a better mechanic for holding schools accountable without turning them into inquisitorial boards.

Like Obamacare, I think the Republicans are more interested in blowing shit up than actual constructive reform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom