• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP's Mitch McConnel says Mexico isn't paying for Trump's wall after all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Act surprised: Senate Majority Leader and Mutant Ninja Turtle reject admitted he didnt think Mexico was paying for Trump's border wall.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Thursday that he didn't think Mexico would pay for the wall the Trump administration wants to build along the southern border of the US.

When asked during an interview with Politico whether he thought Mexico would pay, as President Donald Trump has promised, he replied, "Uh, no."

McConnell also declined to say whether he thought the wall would be built this year.
Shocked?
http://www.businessinsider.com/mitch-mcconnell-mexico-pay-for-border-wall-2017-3
Another source: http://time.com/4696656/mitch-mcconnell-president-trump-mexico-wall/

Ambient80

"Trump just meant it as a metaphorical wall by tightening border security, not an actual physical wall."

Is there an O/U on how many days into a true congressional debate about funding this wall it would take for that argument to come up?

Saya

Wasn't it always some kind of reimbursement situation with Trump's wall? He'll tax Mexican imports and remittances to Mexico?

MrNelson

Banned
latest

Wasn't it always some kind of reimbursement situation with Trump's wall? He'll tax Mexican imports and remittances to Mexico?
No, that was the plan after he tried to tell them they were going to pay for it and Mexico said "No".

Slayven

Nah, trump only said that after Mexico said fuck you. In the beginning he said Mexico would pay directly for it

"Trump just meant it as a metaphorical wall by tightening border security, not an actual physical wall."

Is there an O/U on how many days into a true congressional debate about funding this wall it would take for that argument to come up?

That's it, the wall just got ten feet metaphorically higher.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
No. >>> I <<< am paying for it.

YOU are paying for it.

This is where our taxes will go.

Reality: The GoP wants to pay for the wall by eliminating welfare, eliminating Social Security, eliminating the ACA, and dismantling the DoE, the HUD, and the EPA.

That's how they plan on paying for the wall.

Turning all those federal and social services into steel posts, concrete and barbed wire.

I for one am shocked. Trump told us that they will pay for it! How else is this going to get done? He'd never have US tax payers pay for this, right?

Oh I can't wait for taxes to go up.

The delicious irony.

In the cases that taxes do go up(probably) I wonder if there's ever a point that the Trump base will ever turn on him since he was so adamant during the campaign that Mexico would be paying for it

But then again, if they're still supporting him even to this day despite all the shit in the last ~2 months, then they probably be supporting him to the end.

Blader

Trump certainly said that, but that's not really how tariffs work.

And that wasn't "always" the case. Trump spent two years saying Mexico would pay for it upfront, then switched gears this year to say they'll pay for it after the fact via import taxes, I guess not realizing that when you raise taxes on Mexican imports, the exporters aren't just going to eat those costs and will instead pass along the tax hike to the American consumer.

Syncytia

Trump certainly said that, but that's not really how tariffs work.

Or how trade deficits work. He used to (probably still does) say we have a huge deficit with Mexico! Mexico will pay for the wall!

Which sounds like Mexico is paying for it if you don't think about it, but it was pretty obvious from the beginning he was portraying the trade balance as a way to make Mexico "pay" for the wall. And then it turned into wanting an import tax.

I remember seeing people compare the wall to the wall of Ba Sing Se and how the city was able to defend itself for so long because of it. Seems people really missed the point about Ba Sing Se or refused to acknowledge the issues within that a walled society would have.

Also, there's no earthbenders to build the fucking thing.

And then others would talk about the Great Wall of China or the various other countries that have walls while ignoring how they got the labor to build them. If we wanna be humane about it, it ain't gonna be cheap. They might as well just use post-13th amendment slavery to build it to keep in line with that status quo.

Dai101

Banned
In the cases that taxes do go up(probably) I wonder if there's ever a point that the Trump base will ever turn on him since he was so adamant during the campaign that Mexico would be paying for it

But then again, if they're still supporting him even to this day despite all the shit in the last ~2 months, then they probably be supporting him to the end.

Nah. They'll be glad all them inmigrants are keep out by it (not really) while bitch and curse everyone but them for their tax increases.

They're that dumb. And racist.

Hale-XF11

Mexico was just a metaphor for dismantling all of the government agencies that keep our country running smoothly.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They never were. They will just raise everyone's taxes in order to fund it. Waste of money if you ask me.

Actually I'm going to go ahead and assume the wealthy won't need to pay for it because they're busy creating all those jobs so they're doing their part.

Mexico was never going to pay for the #FuckingWall

The questions remains whether or not we bungle up import/export taxes as a misguided [sic] fundraising measure.
Any attempt to build a wall will inevitably cost Americans.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit

No - it wasn't.

And guess what? Americans will still be paying for the wall through the taxed Mexican goods.

SMH - the number of people that don't get how taxes actually work is shocking.

*joe redneck's brain in the middle of arkansas is almost able to gather enough neurons to understand how he was swindled by voting for trump but is distracted by a fox news segment on muslims and the thought is lost to the sands of time racism*

McLovin

Nah, trump only said that after Mexico said fuck you. In the beginning he said Mexico would pay directly for it

And Trump also didn't understand that taxing Mexican imports means taxing the US not Mexico. We're paying for the imports and paying those extra taxes. It would make sense if he meant taxing our exports to Mexico, but that would also be increadibly stupid because Mexico an import the same stuff from other countries (in South America). So literally there's no scenario in which Trump makes any kind of sense.

Sianos

"democrats are such big spenders, wasting your tax dollars on health care for black people welfare queens and brown people illegals"

"also we need a giant fucking 25 billion dollar wall that will effectively serve as nothing more than a symbolic 'fuck you' to immigrants"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom