• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP's Mitch McConnel says Mexico isn't paying for Trump's wall after all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Mexico will pay after we invade them. Which is why we are making our army great again. Can't invade with a depleted army.

QMlUgpG.gif
Beuno

Lucreto

The wall is not to keep Mexicans out but keep Americans in.

Once the Military has gotten it's new billions and the weekly we love Trump military parades begin with mandatory attendance America will be great again.

LifEndz

Vincente Fox Quesada, the former President of Mexico, is a great twitter follow on all things wall related. His #FuckingWall hashtag always cracks me up.

"I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great great wall on our southern border and I’ll have Mexico pay for that wall."

Whoops........

LakeEarth

They really are the car-chasing dog that finally catches one aint they?

Yup. They tried to repeal Obamacare dozens of times over the course of more than half a decade, but now that they can do it without obstruction, they stall and fight over what to replace it with (despite claiming to have something to replace it with this entire time).

The fact that GOP voters STILL can't see this boggles my mind.

That's a pretty big campaign promise to break. I don't think many people would have been so keen on it if he said "We're gonna build a wall for 100 billion dollars". Just cut a check to everyone who claims to have lost their jobs to immigrants instead. It's a lot cheaper.

McLovin

"democrats are such big spenders, wasting your tax dollars on health care for black people welfare queens and brown people illegals"

"also we need a giant fucking 25 billion dollar wall that will effectively serve as nothing more than a symbolic 'fuck you' to immigrants"
Yeah seriously that's all it is. Might as well take down the Statue of Liberty while their at it. It's clear they don't want more immigrants coming here.

Usobuko

Banned
Not like majority of his supporters care or hold his accountable.

Liberal tears and obummer are more important to them.

M.Bluth

The most amazing thing is you know neither Trump nor Republicans will get punished for anything they do or don't do.

Curufinwe

Wasn't it always some kind of reimbursement situation with Trump's wall? He'll tax Mexican imports and remittances to Mexico?

American consumers are the people who pay for tariffs on Mexican imports.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timwor...eans-americans-pay-for-the-wall/#590164cc5a08

The one thing which truly worries about the Donald Trump administration is that so many of the people within it seem not to understand how trade works. No, this isn't about marginal decisions, or disagreements upon what is desirable. Nor is this something which is subject to argument--imposing a 20% import tariff upon Mexican goods would mean that it is Americans who would be paying for the wall.

Please do note that this is nothing, here at least, to do with whether a wall is desirable, or not so, nor even whether trade protection is a good idea and all that. This is just a very, very, simple economic point and one that is simply true. The people who pay tariffs are the people who buy the goods which tariffs are imposed upon. Putting a tariff upon goods moving from Mexico to the United States means that it is the people in the U.S., who are paying the tariff.

There is indeed a secondary effect, which is that less will be sold and that this will impact profits and wages in Mexico. Not that I think that's a good idea either of course. But that still leaves it to be true that any money actually raised by a tariff will be paid by Americans, not Mexicans.

Retro

We've known this since it was spewed from Trump's repulsive facehole, but I'm not surprised it took this long for Mortis the Tortoise to figure it out.

But hey, let's strip funding from FEMA (including cancelling all funding for floodplain maps), something we actually do need, to help pay for this fucked up fascist fantasy.

My brother and I tried talking to my dad, who is a smart person, about this the other day.

He kept coming back to "don't you guys think people shouldn't be coming here illegally?". His only way of justifying how we could be against Trump's policies were that if we were pro-illegal immigration.

Also: he wouldn't even say Trump, and when pressed, would say "I didn't vote for Trump".

SaviourMK2

Trying to think of a way I can write my federal taxes as charity since this wall is clearly a social service to people who are mentally ill and suffer from the condition of "Immigrants come an took meh jerb".

JZA

Doesn't Trump usually double-down on his declarations when another GOP member says something like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom