• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorgeous New Viva Pinata Screenshots (56k stay away)

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The graphics look great, but this style is shit. Are they suppose to be paper marche?

jj984jj said:
The graphics look great, but this style is shit. Are they suppose to be paper marche?

PhoenixSlamHead.gif

jj984jj

Alright I did not make the connection. It doesn't makes the style any better.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Wow, that's a lot of posts going after one person. :lol

Yeah, paper mache look.

jj984jj said:
Alright I did not make the connection. It doesn't makes the style any better.

What style, exactly, would fit pinatas better?

Amir0x said:
****ing gorgeous... but alas, AC-esque Pinata sim ftl :(

I'm looking forward to it. I would have played AC for longer than a couple of weeks if I didn't have to do shit like water my flowers every day. VP allows you to hire poor migrant workers to do your chores for you.

Y2Kevbug11 said:

Chrome and stainless steel, I guess.

Amir0x

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
I'm looking forward to it. I would have played AC for longer than a couple of weeks if I didn't have to do shit like water my flowers every day. VP allows you to hire poor migrant workers to do your chores for you.

i wouldn't have played AC longer unless Tila Nguyen came out of the game and gave me a blowjob for suffering through it

Shiggy

urk said:
Is this using the engine from Kameo or is this all new?

It uses the CbtG Engine, or at least parts of it. I think the original idea was My Garden and a Xbox Live game. You had to plant seeds in a garden. (rumors say it was Miyamoto who had this idea)
Then they seemed to scrap that idea and developed a new prototype out of it (called Your Garden according to the makers), which is this Viva Pinata.

Piper Az

UltraMagnanimous said:
Leave off.

He may not be (North) American. Pinatas aren't very well know in Europe. Certainly not in the UK anyhoo.

Isn't Rare a UK developer? Maybe MS pitched the "pinata" idea, and Rare ran with it.

jj984jj

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Nothing obviously, that doesn't mean I like it.

And the fact that it plays like AC makes it all the worse. :\

shpankey

not an idiot
UltraMagnanimous said:
Leave off.

He may not be (North) American. Pinatas aren't very well know in Europe. Certainly not in the UK anyhoo.
what the hell does "Leave off." mean? i never heard that expression.

Amir0x

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:
LOL

Hey, to each their own.

indeed!

But yeah, this is just beautiful. Even in motion, it is breathtaking... even if the game is not a direct match for your taste, it cannot be denied. I never liked Kameo - people said it was beautiful, but it just was ugly to me shy a few distinct areas. This is true next-gen to me.

Amir0x said:
This is true next-gen to me.

Yep, one could even mistake it for a PS3 game. ;)

Shiggy said:
It uses the CbtG Engine, or at least parts of it. I think the original idea was My Garden and a Xbox Live game. You had to plant seeds in a garden. (rumors say it was Miyamoto who had this idea)
Then they seemed to scrap that idea and developed a new prototype out of it (called Your Garden according to the makers), which is this Viva Pinata.

origin:

"The original concept was conceived in 2002 as 'Your Garden'," explains Gregg Mayles, lead designer at Rare. "A game that could run on any device that could communicate with another, where the player attracted animals into an environment and then traded them with their friends. The 'animals' became pinatas from a very early stage to give our creatures a distinctive look and a unique world that we could build upon. Work started during the development of Grabbed by the Ghoulies, where we had an isometric 3D garden running on a Pocket PC (pocket is still actually the game's codename). We soon moved the game to an Xbox development kit to allow us the freedom of a fully 3D world and actually had a prototype running within Ghoulies, using the Flying Imps as temporary 'pinatas'. From there we briefly ran the game on a PC, until we realized that to fulfill the concept's potential and implement all the ideas we had created we needed even more power -- so the game was transferred to the Xbox 360. Even now we are pushing the technical capabilities of even the Xbox 360 extremely hard. We're proud of the fact that even after all of the game's traveling, the core concept remains exactly the same, though."

shpankey said:
what the hell does "Leave off." mean? i never heard that expression.
I'm guessing it's the European equivalent of "**** off", or as the Canadians would say, "take off, hoser".

ibu

jj984jj said:

this sir is a piñata

pinata.jpg

You sir are a doofus!!

fingerpoint.jpg

Even I know what a piñata is, wanna know why?

logo-Google.gif

beermonkey@tehbias said:

origin:

"The original concept was conceived in 2002 as 'Your Garden'," explains Gregg Mayles, lead designer at Rare. "A game that could run on any device that could communicate with another, where the player attracted animals into an environment and then traded them with their friends. The 'animals' became pinatas from a very early stage to give our creatures a distinctive look and a unique world that we could build upon. Work started during the development of Grabbed by the Ghoulies, where we had an isometric 3D garden running on a Pocket PC (pocket is still actually the game's codename). We soon moved the game to an Xbox development kit to allow us the freedom of a fully 3D world and actually had a prototype running within Ghoulies, using the Flying Imps as temporary 'pinatas'. From there we briefly ran the game on a PC, until we realized that to fulfill the concept's potential and implement all the ideas we had created we needed even more power -- so the game was transferred to the Xbox 360. Even now we are pushing the technical capabilities of even the Xbox 360 extremely hard. We're proud of the fact that even after all of the game's traveling, the core concept remains exactly the same, though."

Live Anywhere ftw?

quetz67

Banned
Still havent fixed the 'pinata shading' the single pieces of paper should have unique colors, the colors should not go through the pieces

besides that, OMFG especially at the first two shots

Amir0x

Banned
beermonkey@tehbias said:

What the shit, this isn't a PS3 game!?

So yeah, I mean it's pretty good looking for a 360 title... but you can see the issues, like with the rock cliff wall and other such areas. Definitely could use a little extra power. Maybe it would benefit from not being on DVD9!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Looks fantastic. Though, while the "art" is certainly nicer, I don't think this looks a whole lot better than Kameo (which looked amazing - just, no one played it).

Amir0x said:
So yeah, I mean it's pretty good looking for a 360 title... but you can see the issues, like with the rock cliff wall and other such areas. Definitely could use a little extra power. Maybe it would benefit from not being on DVD9!

Tilt controller to rock your baby Piñata to sleep FTW.

Meier said:
This isnt coming out till 2007? :\ Bummer.. hope it's $50 or less.

This fall, and probably $50 if the past indicates the future.

jj984jj

ibu said:
this sir is a piñata

pinata.jpg

You sir are a doofus!!

fingerpoint.jpg

Even I know what a piñata is, wanna know why?

logo-Google.gif
:lol ^5

I am North American since I live in Canada, but I'm not an American of the US where Spanish is a big part of the culture. As UltraMagnanimous said, Pinatas are not a big everywhere so it's not like I did not know what one was, but I did not make the connection between the graphic style and the name.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
quetz67 said:
Still havent fixed the 'pinata shading' the single pieces of paper should have unique colors, the colors should not go through the pieces

besides that, OMFG especially at the first two shots

Joke post maybe? Pinata shading?

Amir0x

Banned
Seriously jj, that is no excuse. no excuse.

Spanish doesn't have to be a big part of your culture to know what one of these things are. These things are known everywhere; used in commercials, books, movies, etc... even in some pop culture references! Canadian or not, you should be ashamed.

Check out this awesome Juicy Fruit commercial. THEN COME BACK TO ME.

Meier

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Tilt controller to rock your baby Piñata to sleep FTW.

Ahh okay the Rare in 2007 bit in the original post threw me off. I'll definitely look into this at $50 -- so here's to hoping MS prices it at that.

Great graphics, but certainly not the best (Gears of War looks a million times better, IMO).
mckmas8808 said:
Joke post maybe? Pinata shading?
No he's right, look at the strands of paper located between two colors, they are colored twice when in fact they should be one color only. A minor problem, but it's true.

mrmyth

While it truly is a beautiful game, I'm going to have nightmares now about little blue pinata bunnies because they are so frickin' freaky.

jj984jj

Amir0x said:
Seriously jj, that is no excuse. no excuse.

Spanish doesn't have to be a big part of your culture to know what one of these things are. These things are known everywhere; used in commercials, books, movies, etc... even in some pop culture references! Canadian or not, you should be ashamed.

Check out this awesome Juicy Fruit commercial. THEN COME BACK TO ME.
:lol

Never seen that before. I did know what a pinata was, I just did not make the connection. It's usually spelt piñata so when I saw the name of this game the first time I was even saying it wrong up until people told me what the name was referring to in this topic. Although I know you're just playing with me now Ami.

Larry Bird said:
I'm guessing it's the European equivalent of "**** off", or as the Canadians would say, "take off, hoser".

:lol No, not quite as rude as that. It just means leave him/it alone. Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude to anyone.

Top Bottom