• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorgeous New Viva Pinata Screenshots (56k stay away)

Flambe

irfan said:
Its the "cuteness" factor. I can see many people getting the game for their gfs. :D

Showed mine some screens, she still wants NWN2 more =\

My geekiness influence is taking over :D

Reilly

I don't see the attraction to this game myself. Yeah, it's Rare so there should be some good stuff in there, but after their past couple efforts, they got to show they can rebound here.

This game is aimed at future Gaffers, not the current ones. :D

I'll be buying a copy though. I like cute and I am delighted to watch sheep launch lamb chops at other animals.

Then again, I can make zoo animals out of rubberbands and paperclips - so my opinion is probably not valued due to my mentality anyways.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I loved Animal Crossing. I'm getting this for my girls, but I'll give it the go 'round as well.

jimbo

Banned
I will deffinitely be buying this. My wife loves the look as well. It looks to be very addictive from the videos.

Kevtones

Kleegamefan said:
Where are the Rare haters now????

Raises hand. This game has nice graphics and is unreleased. Considering how much PDZ sucks (don't try to tell me otherwise, it is shite), how derivative Kamoe was, how lame Conker was (seriously lame), how putrid Starfox Adventures was, and how pointless Gbtg was, they've got to prove themselves before I give them any sort of benefit of the doubt.

Note that I own and love Blast Corps, JFG, 007, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie etc

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
It's not my kind of game but the art style is gorgeous. I think the best thing about it is the use of bright, vibrant colours. It's a nice change from all the greys and browns of other next gen games.

Cosmozone said:
This looks about five times better than Gears of War. However, the design is a little scary.

OMH I just spit on myself that was so funny :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol . This isn't 5X better than Tetris

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
I still stand by my intial statement that this game is easily the best looking next gen game. I said it before E3 and i still say it now. Absolutely insane visuals.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Amazing- 5 pages and not a single word about gameplay. What the **** do you do in this game? Look at confetti animals?

Why would we talk about the gameplay? It's a God type Animal Crossing game aimed at kids as a way to push some soon to be show or something. it's not really intended for us, on top of the fact that there's not much detail beyond that.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Count Chocula said:
but dude it has bump mapping. Automatic killer ap.

Chocula, proving yet again that you don't need the ability to read to be a rabid trolling fanboy.

SnakeXs said:
Why would we talk about the gameplay? It's a God type Animal Crossing game aimed at kids as a way to push some soon to be show or something. it's not really intended for us, on top of the fact that there's not much detail beyond that.

Ey, whoa whoa whoa, mate.

We do know quite a bit. Here's the skinflute. You start off with a completely radge patch of land, dried out craggly soil, overcast skies. The works. Some migrant workers drop by with a shovel and some tips on how to cultivate it. So start off light, only having the shovel to work with. (Basically you are this cursor in the middle, looks like your shovel is floating, et al) The first thing you attract is a Pinata Worm, and those workers of your will tip you off on their likes and dislikes. If the worms stick around, they attract birds AND YOU'RE ON YOUR WAY. You work towards attracting every different species of pinata (there are like 60), trying to seprerate the ones that don't naturally get along and deal with sour pinatas, who beat other pinatas up for no reason, regardless of species proclivities. And that goes on for as long as you want it to. You can trade pinatas on live, have your friends visit your garden and help you out. Hire migrant workers to do your chores.

I plan on just leaving it on in the background whilst I work.

Gigglepoo

Also, if anyone is wondering, there is no punishment for taking a few days off. In Animal Crossing, your town would be over-run with weeds if you didn't visit regularly, There is no such penalty for VP.

Oneself

Paradoxal_Utopia said:
Amazing- 5 pages and not a single word about gameplay. What the **** do you do in this game? Look at confetti animals?

Since you've read all five pages, anybody talks about how shitty the framerate gets when there's lots of stuff on screen.. you know, as in less than 5fps? I hope Rare will fix it before release.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
BorkBork said:
This is the best artstyle Rare has ever created. Fact.

This is the only art style Rare has ever created!

But, seriously, holy christ on a martian pogostick, does this look good. Perfect blend of technology and design - the style matches the graphic capability JUST right. And yep, most beautiful game Rare has ever created, hands down.

Duderz

Banned
BorkBork said:
This is the best artstyle Rare has ever created. Fact.

QFT. I'm checking this game out just to support Rare and this kind of risk-taking development.

Absolutely beautiful.

quetz67

Banned
Kleegamefan said:
Where are the Rare haters now????
I never hated Rare, but honestly, shouldnt this game be on Wii? It will generate some sales on 360, but probably mostly because of graphics. It just dont fits the 360 as less as GbtG did and that will show.

Microsoft tried some times to open a younger or platformer market (Blinx, GbtG, Conker), but without much success. This will of course get a huge marketing campaign, but does it really make sense to buy a $350M company then needing huge marketing effort to sel their games?

Aaron

quetz67 said:
Microsoft tried some times to open a younger or platformer market (Blinx, GbtG, Conker), but without much success. This will of course get a huge marketing campaign, but does it really make sense to buy a $350M company then needing huge marketing effort to sel their games?
Blinx was a terrible, terrible game. GbtG was odd and hard for kids to get into. Conker really wasn't for kids at all. This is really their first decent try, and I think appeals mostly to 360 owners who have young kids, which I'm sure is more than a few. I probably won't buy it, but I'm not the target market here.

quetz67 said:
It will generate some sales on 360, but probably mostly because of graphics.
Are you accounting the kids show in your evalutions? If it will be a succesful show, I think the game will have great sales. They're trying to create a pokemon-like franchise.

Prine

Banned
Download the e3 video if you want to learn about the gameplay. Seriously, the game looks beautiful.

Every creature has its own unique animation, (you get even these weired scarecrow guys from moomins walking around looking all cute)

Kameo and PDZ were good games, far better than Rare's Xbox and GC games. THey're getting better and this game looks like it will be a winner

PDZ: Originally Xbox 1 game
Kameo: Originally Xbox 1 game

Neither of these games had enough time to completely rework everything, they did a darn good job getting both games to look great but they weren't ground up on Xbox 360.

Viva Pinata on the other hand should be a first indication of what Rare can do with next gen hardware. If you think they don't have several other games in development you're stupid, but you might have to wait until the end of the year or later to find out about them.

{Mike}

Banned
f_elz said:
341897.gif

w00t.gif
yeah.gif

Wow, Rare delivers again. Best Developer ever in the world.

not until they create KI3

If this is a non-game then Pikmin is a non-game...I'd say this easily has more strategy game elements than even Animal Crossing (which was more quest, fetch this, deliver this, etc)

Gigglepoo

Oneself said:
Since you've read all five pages, anybody talks about how shitty the framerate gets when there's lots of stuff on screen.. you know, as in less than 5fps? I hope Rare will fix it before release.

Huh? The framerate is fine. I saw a half hour demo of the game and didn't see so much as one stutter.

I think we've all accepted that the graphics are amazing on this game (backed up by ALL these screenshots), but there are still questions remaining over the gameplay, and whether it will appeal to anyone over 15.

We just have to put out faith into the fact that Microsoft KNOWS there aren't tens of thousands of preteens who own Xbox 360s, and that if they put out a game aimed at such youngsters, it will bomb. I have faith in this fact, which is why I'm confident the game will prove challenging and entertaining.

chocolatecandy said:
We just have to put out faith into the fact that Microsoft KNOWS there aren't tens of thousands of preteens who own Xbox 360s
The point here is that ms isn't making this game to sell it to current 360 owners.

JRPereira

Did I mention how visually delicious I think the game is yet?

If I was rolling in money, I would buy that and a 360 in a heartbeat.

specules.gif

Specules approves!

The graphics look awesome, but the pinatas look a bit off to me. Almost as if they don't have a soul. They don't look cute but almost manic.

Yeah just laugh at me, but that's the impression I get from the pics.:lol

I thought the trailer on Xbox 360's MarketPlace at E3 showed off some of the gameplay elements. For those curious about the gameplay you might want to check it out. I'm sure it's online at Xbox.com as well. :)

Top Bottom