• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorgeous New Viva Pinata Screenshots (56k stay away)

meltpotato said:
spin-offs will never make me happy. ever.
B00009WAUD.01._PE08_.Mario-Kart-Double-Dash._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The style is ok..but technically nothing impressive being done . If lost planet is 60% of the 360 "power" this is 25%. I guess if i was 9 years old I would enjoy this game and the cartoon that comes with it.

fse

Mark Gonzales said:
The style is ok..but technically nothing impressive being done . If lost planet is 60% of the 360 "power" this is 25%. I guess if i was 9 years old I would enjoy this game and the cartoon that comes with it.

what ? :(

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Mark Gonzales said:
You actually think this game is pushing the 360 hardware ? :lol
It certainly makes a better use of the 360 hardware than the majority of the games released so far on the platform. The lighting and shadowing is amazing.

Sean

Banned
I love how colorful this game is. It seems like Rare is the only developer making next-gen games with more then just two shades of brown.

The depth of field looks great as well.

madara

McBacon said:
Hey Rare, stop making new, innovate ideas you PRUNES, make more sequels!
Yes and ones that are barely games or ones you will play for more then 10mins at time. :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
McBacon said:
Hey Rare, stop making new, innovate ideas you PRUNES, make more sequels!
YEAH! We need more crappy franchises like Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Viva Pinata. THEY ARE SO MUCH BETTER AND INNOVATIVE!

Perhaps Rare should stop remaking games and start with some sequels.

Rare's graphics are moving forward while Sega and Nintendo are standing still. It's going to be fun watching the threads in 2007. Super Mario Galaxy will be a fun game, but it's been a long time since we've seen a Mario 64 level platformer.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
jj984jj said:
Perhaps Rare should stop remaking games and start with some sequels.

Again, I'm glad you've played the final version, and I'm glad you understand that this is absolutely targetted towards your demographic.

On the other hand, sequels, especially of games that skipped a generational gap, have so much room to advance and be innovative, not to mention also be great games... Sequels are bad when they stgnate, thx.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
SnakeXs said:
Again, I'm glad you've played the final version, and I'm glad you understand that this is absolutely targetted towards your demographic.

On the other hand, sequels, especially of games that skipped a generational gap, have so much room to advance and be innovative, not to mention also be great games... Sequels are bad when they stgnate, thx.
Any game that plays remotely like AC or HM cannot be better then BK or JFG. Seriously over the past few years Rare has made (on consoles) SFA: Dinosaur Planet, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Conker, Kameo. & Perfect Dark Zero. Out of all these games the best ones were the remake and the prequel. Hopefully after they make this they will see that perhaps they should go back and make some sequels out of all the great franchises they made in the past with Nintendo and even before that.

travisbickle said:
Has anyone seen this in motion, it's not good.
I saw the three video Rare put up, to me it looks like Cubivore (which even worse then AC).

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
game looks aiaight, neve thought id see xfriends get this excited over a non game though.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
not sure if it was mentioned... Gregg Mayles is the one behind the project for Rare.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Yeah, I'd have to agree with Pedigree and JJ, and rather have Banjo Threeie.

CountZeroInt said:
Rare's graphics are moving forward while Sega and Nintendo are standing still. It's going to be fun watching the threads in 2007. Super Mario Galaxy will be a fun game, but it's been a long time since we've seen a Mario 64 level platformer.
So...
great graphics = great platformer
not so great graphics = baaad platformer

:?

briefcasemanx said:
This will be perfect for my girlfriend who spent like 150+ hours playing Animal Crossing. It keeps her occupied while I'm sitting on internet on this blasted forum all night. :)
we have something more in commen then our avatars..... also me buying her jewel quest recently have kept my morning internet sessions nagging/annoying free

Gigglepoo

Pedigree Chum said:
Stop fooling around Rare and give me Banjo-Threeie.

Unfortunately for you, this is made by the Banjo development team. No Banjo for a while I guess.

I don't care. I'd rather have new games than sequels.

Gigglepoo

etiolate said:
Is that a pirate ship?

Pinata duck rocks. Maybe Rare is getting back to what made them popular, copying N games.

If I had to pick one game that vaulted Rare into the public's consciousness (ie, popularity) I would say Goldeneye.

Tellaerin

This looks really sweet. I'm just glad to see a next-gen game that's so bright and cheerful looking - realistic art and subdued pallettes have their place in games, but so do vivid colors and whimsical character designs.

DSN2K said:
I want Banjo 3 damnit not this crap.

Me too, although to be fair, I don't know if it's crap, I'm just not really that interested (and I'm one of the few remaining Rare fans). I just hope that when this ships the team gets cracking immediatlely on a new Banjo so that it ships before the end of Xbox 360.

ibu

etiolate said:
Is that a pirate ship?

Pinata duck rocks. Maybe Rare is getting back to what made them popular, copying N games.
Your right I can't believe RARE copied Mario Kart and made Blast Corps I mean... what are they thinking?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If Rare copied Mario Kart, they outdid them with Diddy Kong Racing.

Oh, and Rare...please give us Banjo :(

etiolate

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
If I had to pick one game that vaulted Rare into the public's consciousness (ie, popularity) I would say Goldeneye.

Goldeneye got them known, but much of their fanbase core is based around the Banjo and Diddy/DK games.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
If Rare copied Mario Kart, they outdid them with Diddy Kong Racing.

Oh, and Rare...please give us Banjo :(

MK64 multiplayer >>> DDKR's.

That's all that matters. :D

etiolate said:
Goldeneye got them known, but much of their fanbase core is based around the Banjo and Diddy/DK games.

DKC actually even sold more than GoldenEye iirc.

Anyway, Rare are great developers, doesn't even matter if they copy, they just make damn good games. I really hope this delivers.

X26

Banned
Characters look really cool, but the rest is pretty medicore

Anyways, the game will probably sell reaosnably well, looking at games sold to console sold ratios suggest 360 owners buy anything and eveyrthing regardless of quality anyways

Y2Kev

hadareud said:
I still don't know where all this Rare hate here comes from, it's ridiculous.

It's a combination of Rare's recent mediocrity and the large number of diehard Nintendo fans on the internet. I really thought it was just Rare sucking, but a particular segment of the gaming community freaked out with sheer joy when Zoonami announced "Game Zero." And that was a joke.

Oh and funkydilla.

meltpotato said:
how is that a spin-off?
Are you really asking this question?

It's a spin-off (actually the Mario Kart series itself is a spin-off) because it uses existing characters and an existing world as the basis to create a new game in a different genre.

Here, try this easy to use chart:

Super Mario Bros. (Platformer) + Kart Racing= Mario Kart (Super Mario Bros. spin-off)
Dead Or Alive (Fighting) + Volleyball= DOAX (Dead or Alive spin-off)
Viva Pinata (god sim/collectathon?) +Platforming= Viva Pinata platformer (Viva Pinata spin-off)

hadareud

The Translator
Y2Kevbug11 said:
It's a combination of Rare's recent mediocrity and the large number of diehard Nintendo fans on the internet. I really thought it was just Rare sucking, but a particular segment of the gaming community freaked out with sheer joy when Zoonami announced "Game Zero." And that was a joke.

Oh and funkydilla.
I don't know, I think all their recent releases were good games actually (I can't comment on PDZ as I haven't played it, the demo sucks though).

GBTG was a good game, not outstanding but fun
Conker was a remake of a great game and probably the best looking xbox game
Kameo was a very good game, highly underrated - and great looking for a launch game

I can't believe nintendo fans would still hold a grudge - it's 4 years ago now.

Y2Kev

hadareud said:
I don't know, I think all their recent releases were good games actually (I can't comment on PDZ as I haven't played it, the demo sucks though).

GBTG was a good game, not outstanding but fun
Conker was a remake of a great game and probably the best looking xbox game
Kameo was a very good game, highly underrated - and great looking for a launch game

I can't believe nintendo fans would still hold a grudge - it's 4 years ago now.

I actually agree. PDZ is a very good game with great multiplayer, but the genre has developed conventions since GE and PD that PDZ just doesn't meet. The level design is so old school. But the multiplayer is ace. Kameo is very good and Conker is great. I haven't played GbtG.

It's not really a grudge, it's just very easy to dismiss them. It's like what Machiavelli said about stealing vs. killing-- Microsoft took Rare (whatever their current state was at the time) away from Nintendo and it is always there to remind people of that transaction. It was a fine move for Nintendo though, but business acumen is not exactly on people's minds.

Mifune

Mehmber
Y2Kevbug11 said:

Oh and funkydilla.

While I agree with you to an extent, there were a lot of Rare haters on this board when they were still in Nintendo's camp. Rare just attracts haters, I guess. Which brings us back to the original question...

Y2Kev

Mifune said:
While I agree with you to an extent, there were a lot of Rare haters on this board when they were still in Nintendo's camp. Rare just attracts haters, I guess. Which brings us back to the original question...

Oh, for sure. Rare has its "style" (or lack of it, depending on your viewpoint) that is certainly off-putting for some. I think that's one reason why they are so hated. They put eyeballs on everything.

Top Bottom