• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY 2007 Media Roundup

This thread lists the overall GOTY from media outlets that have announced a choice, grouped by title and listed alphabetically. The Orange Box encompasses all included games. If there are any missing entries, I'll be happy to update this post.

The standings...

Bioshock - 22
Super Mario Galaxy - 15
The Orange Box - 11
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 5
Rock Band - 4
Desktop Tower Defense - 2
Halo 3 - 2
Mass Effect - 2

[360][PC] Bioshock
bioshock.jpg

AP/ABC
There's just nothing else like this eerie vision of an undersea social experiment gone horribly wrong.
AP/Fox News
Lou Kesten said:
Ken Levine's undersea epic combines a thought-provoking story, compelling gameplay, dazzling visuals and a lush soundtrack to create one of gaming's true masterpieces.
Boston Herald
Doug Elfman said:
But succeeding at every ambitious turn makes this a masterwork.
Chicago Sun Times
Misha Davenport said:
It single-handedly raised the bar of what I expect in a video game.
Destructoid
Chad Concelmo said:
No doubt you have all heard many of the same things mentioned over and over again about this genuine masterpiece: gorgeous graphics, revolutionary FPS storytelling, breathtaking atmosphere.
Digital Battle
James Hyde said:
BioShock brought something new to the table, something wonderful and entertaining, something that hasn’t been seen in a long time, especially in the FPS genre.
Entertainment Weekly
We loved the game for its immersive sound and graphics, its deep (and philosophically rich) story, and for introducing some truly iconic characters in the form of armored brutes called ''Big Daddies'' and the powerful ''Little Sisters.''
G4 TV

Game Informer
With danger lurking around every corner (usually in the form of hulking Big Daddies), this game mixes the horror, adventure, and first person shooter genres while putting a new spin on twisted storytelling and intense game play.
Gamervision
Sean said:
No detail of this game went overlooked; from the art-deco-inspired environments, to the most beautifully rendered water you’ve ever seen, to a soundtrack that sends chills down your spine.
Games Magazine
Thomas L. McDonald said:
From a pure gameplay perspective, Bioshock can be called a first-person shooter, but that would sell it short.
Journal Star
Aimee Green said:
From the moment I first found myself in the underwater city of Rapture, with the loud, terrifying thuds of a Big Daddy coming toward me, I was hooked.
Los Angeles Times
Pete Metzger said:
What makes it so good is that it's more than just a game; it's a complete experience.
Paste Magazine

Playboy
Years ahead of its time, its winning marriage of philosophy and carnage manages to satisfy both the simian killer and the refined gentleman in us.
Primotech
Reggie Carolipio said:
The deceptively deep FPS surface that the player is drawn under reveals a philosophical story wrapped within the dying face of a lost city crushed by the pressure of its own dreams.
Salt Lake Tribune
Vince Horiuchi and Sam Vicchrilli said:
In what surely will be called one of the greatest years ever for video games, this stylistic, first-person journey through art deco universe gone mad is a high watermark for originality, game play mechanics and brilliantly-displayed art direction.
San Francisco Chronicle
Erick Wong said:
I don't care if it's a city at the bottom of the ocean terrorized by mutants and objectivists. I want to live there.
San Jose Mercury News
Dean Takahashi said:
In the distopian world of video game sequel-mania, this game was original and surprising in every way.
Spike TV

Telegraph
While it's terrifying at times, what makes BioShock arguably the best release of the year is its elegant controls and its utterly compelling story.
UGO
Adam Rosenberg and Russell Frushtick said:
It's a brand new, edgy series that heralds a new age for the gaming industry.

[360][PS3][PC] Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
cod4.jpg

Gamedaily
Chris Buffa said:
We don't have military experience or know what it's like to live a minute in Iraq, but with thousands of bullets zipping by our heads, bombs exploding all around us and fellow comrades dying en masse, we couldn't help but feel respect for every man and woman serving in the armed forces and the horror they experience on a daily basis.
Gamepro
The top slot went to office favorite Call of Duty 4 for its toe-curling action and deep online mode.
Gamespy
Sluggo said:
It was a game that hit every target it aimed for, from its gripping single-player campaign to the ridiculously addictive I've-almost-got-enough-XP-for-that-cool-gun multiplayer.
Maxim
Real war is hell, but video game war has turned out to be a damn good time.
PS3 Fanboy
Andrew Yoon said:
Call of Duty 4 is a game that will have you coming back for more, and more -- and we can't wait for Infinity Ward's next game.

[PC] Desktop Tower Defense
dtd.jpg

MTV Multiplayer
Stephen Totilo said:
No game released in 2007 took a tighter grip of my free time (and my not-so-free time) than this one.
Wedbush Morgan Securities
Michael Pachter said:
I like that it’s accessible and there’s definitely strategy to it, and it’s fun.

[360] Halo 3
halo3-1.jpg

Time
Lev Grossman said:
Like a pebble that has been rounded over the centuries by the gentle splashing of the ocean waves, Halo 3 has become the perfect hardcore first-person combat simulator.
Videogamer

[360] Mass Effect
mass.jpg

New York Times
Seth Schiesel said:
But with its focus on character development, personal growth and moral tension, all fueled by a graphics system created to evoke emotional empathy, Mass Effect points the way forward.
TeamXbox
Will said:
What’s most impressive about the game is the fact that it was able to draw in gamers that don’t consider themselves fans of the RPG genre.

[360][PS3][PC] The Orange Box
orange.jpg

bit-tech
For the first time we don't have one game which tries to be a jack of all trades, cramming in multiplayer modes which are clearly unsuitable or puzzles which don't mesh with the game world at all.
Eurogamer
Matt Martin said:
Pretty much everything about Portal was perfect for me - the fact that it was only 2/3 hours long wasn't even an issue.
Gamasutra
The brain-bending, portal-shooting, first-person puzzle gameplay was a feat in both creative innovation and technical grace, and it would be worth a mention on these merits alone.
Game Spectrum
Packed with five games, The Orange Box completes any videogame enthusiast's collection and is a must-have this year.
Gamebump
Aaron Dunlap said:
At heart it's a simple puzzle game, but through unique means [Portal] is given more character than most full-sized games.
Gamernode
Portal isn't just the best game of the year, it's a landmark title for the industry whose influence will run as deep as our desire for change, and gives the best proof yet that games don't need to be long to be great.
Gamesradar
Portal's concept is simple, unique and brilliant: You have a gun that literally shoots holes, which forces you to think in ways you never have before and feels more fresh and intriguing than any puzzle game we've played since Tetris.
Guardian
Nick Gillett said:
Half-Life 2, its two follow-up episodes, Team Fortress and puzzler Portals - not a lemon among them, just perfectly honed shooting action.
Joy****
Ludwig Kietzmann said:
Gamers and designers alike must play Portal, not only because it's so sublimely designed from start to gripping finish, but because there's so much to learn from it.
Shacknews
Chris Remo said:
Never overstaying its welcome, like so many otherwise great games do, Portal is a tightly-packed experience that may very well be the shining examplar of a new format: the video game short story.
Village Voice
Gary Hodges and Chris Ward said:
Part of the five-game Orange Box collection, [Portal] traps you in a futuristic lab from which you must escape using only a high-tech teleportation device and your comparatively low-tech noggin.

[360][PS3] Rock Band
rockband.jpg

Ask Men
Easily one of the most impressive productions out there, Rock Band is extremely well done and just begs to be played.
Herald Dispatch
Evan Minsker said:
With four playing possibilities (guitar, bass, vocals and drums) and more and more downloadable content being released, this game has opened up a world of happiness to people like me.
Newsday
Monty Phan said:
Within minutes of setting up the microphone, guitars and drum kit, we were rockin' out as if we'd been playing for hours.
Wired
Chris Kohler said:
Adding in drums and vocals to the guitar-based rock gameplay creates a collaborative, immersive and just plain addictive experience far greater than the sum of its parts.

[WII] Super Mario Galaxy
galaxy.jpg

1UP

Amazon
The new standard in platformers, the best game on the Wii hands down, and maybe the best Nintendo game of all time.
Cinemablend
Super Mario Galaxy is a marvel of game design and precision platforming.
Digital Spy
David Gibbon said:
Nintendo went back to the drawing board with this sensational game and came back with an example of true genius.
Edge/next-gen.biz
It’s hard to describe the sheer joy that Super Mario Galaxy elicits.
GAF

Gamereactor
Resultatet blev en spelsupernova full av överraskningar och ofantlig spelglädje.
GameSpot
Nintendo didn't take so much as a single step back with Super Mario Galaxy, and instead reinvented Mario's traditional platformer adventures with beautifully designed levels that make unique use of zero-gravity gameplay and clever, enjoyable puzzles.
Gametrailers

IGN

Kikizo
There's a certain authenticity about the way the game is designed, with pure fun being the crucial element.
Kotaku

PALGN
David Low said:
In an era of detailed plots and complicated controls, Mario presents players with 120 good old fashioned challenges of dexterity with controls so tight it's a joy to play every one of them.
Sky News
While gravity was the game’s main theme, Galaxy offered ideas by the bucketload.
Yahoo Games
Mario Galaxy took us upside-down, turned us into bees, shape-shifted into ghosts, and we loved every minute.

Mar

Thanks for this thread Cheese. It's great to have all these in one place for reference as opposed to finding them throughout GAF.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Am I the only person who finds Super Mario Galaxy to be no different than Super Mario Sunshine in that it is one of the most pure fun games of its time?

I cannot understand why so much condemnation is expressed toward Sunshine. It was an excellent game once you brush aside the non-Mario-ness of the water-backpack concept.

dirtmonkey37 said:
Am I the only person who finds Super Mario Galaxy to be no different than Super Mario Sunshine in that it is one of the most pure fun games of its time?

I cannot understand why so much condemnation is expressed toward Sunshine. It was an excellent game once you brush aside the non-Mario-ness of the water-backpack concept.

I agree, I was going to write about this in detail soon when I finish DKC3, but there is SO much hate for games that are fantastic, but not as good as every other game in it's series, Sunshine was a fantastic game, it just wasn't as likable and amazing as 64 or Galaxy, same with DKC 3, it's not a bad game at all, just some people didn't like it as much as the others. People even complain about that sort of thing to a point with Super Mario Bros. 2 (the USA version), but that wasn't a bad game at all. This sort of thing happens a lot around here it seems.

rakka

Sharp said:
It seems to be a user vote, judging by the link.
true, goty page at 1up.com has category, system, overall, etc. voting (which is still open, too). underneath it says results in feb 2008.

:p

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
dirtmonkey37 said:

Most of it's flaws where due to the convoluted level design. If you can't see the difference there between mario 64/galaxy and sunshine, well then that may not apply to you.

GhaleonEB

C4Lukins said:
I had never been to Videogamer before, but I really enjoyed their top 10 video.

Thanks for all the work Cheese, that must have taken awhile.
That video was exceptionally well done. Not just for the selection of titles, but in how it was edited, the amusing props in the game intros, the discussion of the titles. Good stuff. Worth watching all of the way through.

TomO

GhaleonEB said:
That video was exceptionally well done. Not just for the selection of titles, but in how it was edited, the amusing props in the game intros, the discussion of the titles. Good stuff. Worth watching all of the way through.
Cheers Ghaleon and C4Lukins. We tried to do something a little different from the usual text lists and I think our video guys did a great job editing all our nonsense together :) Sadly it hasn't quite got as much exposure as we'd have liked but I'll pass your comments on to the team. Glad you got the use of the props in the intros. I know they're pretty obvious but you can never be sure how people are going to react when you release a video on the internet.

GhaleonEB

TomO said:
Cheers Ghaleon and C4Lukins. We tried to do something a little different from the usual text lists and I think our video guys did a great job editing all our nonsense together :) Sadly it hasn't quite got as much exposure as we'd have liked but I'll pass your comments on to the team. Glad you got the use of the props in the intros. I know they're pretty obvious but you can never be sure how people are going to react when you release a video on the internet.
The photocopied bottom was oddly apprpriate to Crackdown, a game that embodied naughty fun for me. "I probably shouldn't throw a dumpster at this old lady, but....what the hell."

C4Lukins

TomO said:

It was a really classy production, and the enthusiasm for the games was infectious. I am so used to prewritten commentary over video footage, or just complete goofieness when it comes to these lists, and the video was a nice change of pace. I will continue to check out the site.

TomO

GhaleonEB said:
The photocopied bottom was oddly apprpriate to Crackdown, a game that embodied naughty fun for me. "I probably shouldn't throw a dumpster at this old lady, but....what the hell."
Lol. I'll admit that wasn't the reason for the arse cheeks. It was a much simpler arse 'crack' joke.

Sharp

Wow, I'm surprised that Gamespot gave Galaxy the nod. Before Galaxy was released, I thought it was going to be negative about it, as it has been with a lot of hyped games. I was pleasantly surprised.

KajunW

Even more...

[360] [PC] Bioshock
Boston Herald
Destructoid
Gaygamer [through UGO]
Playboy
Salt Lake Tribune
San Francisco Gate
San Jose Mercurynews
Surfergirl [through UGO]
Telegraph (UK) [K*** and L**** amongst the top, really?]

[360] [PS3] [PC] Call of Duty 4
Gamepolitics [through UGO]
Maxim

[360] Mass Effect
UGO

[360] [PS3] [PC] The Orange Box
Bit-Tech
Guardian (UK)

[WII] Super Mario Galaxy
AMN
PS3 Fanboy (!) [through UGO]

Regarding AMN: the actual award is given in january, but given the fact that SMG has a better record than Bioshock (#1 from 3 editors and #2 from 2 editors versus Bioshock's #1 from 2 editors and #2 from 2 editors), it's highly likely SMG will win there.

The 1Up link in the OP is for the user votes, not sure if it belongs here. Though the definition of 'Media Roundup' is very vague here; I've included some relatively obscure blogs here.

There are still some of the larger media outlets that have yet to publish their awards (IGN, 1Up/EGM, Gametrailers, J***** and Computer & Videogames (UK) -- not sure if that's all of them). But it seems that Bioshock is the winner in terms of most GOTY awards (without any distinction made to gaming journalists, mainstream journalists and internet bloggers).

pulga

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Looks like Bioshock has taken the cake, well deserved.

I'd say until we get 1up and IGN's GOTY, no one has taken the cake. And so far, Galaxy has taken the GOTY from the more reputable outlets.

NeoGAF GOTY > Playboy GOTY

FrankT

pulga said:
I'd say until we get 1up and IGN's GOTY, no one has taken the cake. And so far, Galaxy has taken the GOTY from the more reputable outlets.

We have 1up's and as far as reputable outlets, AP, LA Times, Boston Herald, Salt Lake Tribune, Chicago Times, Game Informer, Spike, G4, haha, uh yea. Clearly Bioshock is the winner in numbers and reputation not much more to say really.

pulga said:

Yeah, Bioshock has more GOTY awards, but Galaxy has them from more respectable sources.

Dr.Hadji

Jtyettis said:
We have 1up's and as far as reputable outlets, AP, LA Times, Boston Herald, Salt Lake Tribune, Chicago Times, Game Informer, Spike, G4, haha, uh yea. Clearly Bioshock is the winner in numbers and reputation not much more to say really.

Yup thats where I go for all of my videogame info and opinions.

Sharp

Jtyettis said:
Bioshock has more but I'd say it, Galaxy, and The Orange Box have a more than respectable number of GoTY awards between them. Coincidentally those are also GAF's top three games ('cause we rock)! But I don't know if Cheesemeister wants to include GAF, although frankly if Pachter and Joystik get a say so should we.

Oh, and in addition to all the new ones you still have to add the two Galaxy GoTYs from last time someone gave you an update dude.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Wow, I can't believe my co-worker and I were, quite literally, the only ones to choose Uncharted and God of War II (tied). Damn.

KajunW

Cheesemeister said:

Like I said, SMG gathered more "points" from the AMN editors, so it was an educated guess. I don't really frequent the UGO gamesblog, but it's been around for a while, and I've never really heard bad things about them, so I decided to added that blog post. It's possible by the way that the PS3Fanboy blogger did choose Galaxy as GOTY. If you look at that link you just gave, it says:

"It's time to find out which PS3 games reigned supreme in the PS3's first full year of games..."

He picks the GOTY there for the PS3. It's possible that in a multiplatform situation he will pick SMG above PS3 games. I can understand your decision to omit these indirect sources though. From now on I won't mention these anymore (and also not make educated guesses anymore).

By the way, if this is an all-console GOTY roundup, does it make much sense to add media geared towards specific consoles, like TeamXbox and PS3fanboy? Also, what is the 1UpUser Voters doing there? They're not media.

Bioshock is a winner in absolute numbers across all media (I will look at the distinction later, though the difference between mainstream/gaming press is sometimes fuzzy. Yahoo videogames, AOL gamedaily, MTV multiplayer are examples). SMG might end up with the readers' vote (so far NeoGAF, 1Up, Kotaku, The News Tribune).

KajunW

Cheesemeister, here is another roundup. It lists several ones we don't have yet.

Looks like I don't have to do any more digging...

Top Bottom