• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
flipswitch said:
You are kidding me, right.The shadows are only 'fixed' when playing an online match?!:lol

They dont want to piss people with no internet connection adding features/fixes they can't use. :lol

Fake edit - I wouldn't be surprise this is the reason for real.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
evolution said:
Yeah the mechanical damage is pretty good, especially with a wheel. PD need to improve the AI in GT life before they put it in there. You think there annoying now, I would probably grow to hate the game if mechanical damage was in the single-player as is

Ok, now I am confused.Do you have to play against someone for the shadows to be fixed, or just log in and play by yourself?

And is the self shadows ( not in car) improved as well?

-viper-

Banned
Mush said:
126653625886.gif

dwebo

flipswitch said:
Are the servers down.I'm stuck on the gran turismo 5 screen.
I just patched both firmware and the game and the servers work for me.

Ugh, still have to reassign the controller to 1 on every bootup. It worked if it was controller 2 in Prologue! Also, would it kill them to put out a simple changelog.

Just tried it, damaged the car pretty badly. But once you take a pit stop, all the damage is automatically repaired. I think there should've been an option to let you choose whether you want just tyre and fuel change or also do body repair, which obviously would take longer.

darkwing

Bootaaay said:
Why do PD make such baffling decisions? They could have at least included full damage options for Arcade mode.

hmmm i would think it would hard to patch in the AI which would take into account the damage factor?

In GT Life it would be a total nightmare with the AI the way it is. They bash into you like there's no tomorrow, imagine getting mechanical damage from that?!

expy

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Why do PD make such baffling decisions? They could have at least included full damage options for Arcade mode.
Giving us small improvements as they're made, and possibly fixing bugs at the same time... It's not like this will be the last patch..

TTG

I know we're all talking about the new patch and everything, BUT. If anyone else out there has a Z06, go ahead and get the race conversion. Mine is about a second faster than a ZONDA R around Laguna Seca. Maybe this is because of me getting better at the game or maybe that lap time wasn't set on soft racing tires(although I doubt it). Either way, it's at least just as fast, which is tremendous. There's no tuning involved either. It's as safe as a baby kitten with 848hp(I'm assuming we'll make it to 860is once it's broken in)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
chubigans said:
Just tried it. Seems to be online only but I wasn't really looking too hard...got to head to bed. Still, rammed a wall at about 60mph in my Evo and it rendered the car completely useless- I could barely get it up to third gear after that. (was playing with heavy mechanical damage). But the exterior doesn't seem to be too sensitive still- it took a few more hits to get the bumper to hang off, but I couldn't get the car to go very fast at that point so it's kinda impossible to tell. :p

Man, online just got a whole lot more crazy though. One solid hit and your car is done.

well, people did ask for realistic damage :p

dwebo

expy said:
Giving us small improvements as they're made, and possibly fixing bugs at the same time... It's not like this will be the last patch..
Yeah but pushing out 3 incremental patches in the first two weeks is kinda pushing it, especially when they're not exactly the smallest downloads. Or you know, don't promise mechanical damage for early December if you're not going to do it properly across all modes.

Angst

dwebo said:
Yeah but pushing out 3 incremental patches in the first two weeks is kinda pushing it, especially when they're not exactly the smallest downloads. Or you know, don't promise mechanical damage for early December if you're not going to do it properly across all modes.
Around 100 megs is considered large patches? I guess it depends on you internet speed, but isn't almost everyone on at least 5-9 Mbits these days? In that case we're talking about a couple of minutes.

I'm just happy they're supporting GT5 and once we get these smaller fixes down I'm anticipating bigger updates. First TT then hopefully some new cars and/or tracks.

http://www.speedtest.net/global.php#0

Amon37

That's all there is to A-spec really? Just 45 races wow. I'm totally uninterested in B-spec I want to drive not watch especially with no fast forward. I should have rented this.

nib95

Banned
Amon37 said:
That's all there is to A-spec really? Just 45 races wow. I'm totally uninterested in B-spec I want to drive not watch especially with no fast forward. I should have rented this.

Special events? Licenses?

dwebo

Angst said:
Around 100 megs is considered large patches? I guess it depends on you internet speed, but isn't almost everyone on at least 5-9 Mbits these days? In that case we're talking about a couple of minutes.
Well, yeah. 133, 133, and today's 149 is more than 400mb since launch day. I'm sure some ps3 games have larger patches, but GT5 is up there.

I've got a 6Mbit line, but a couple of minutes is still a couple of minutes, especially considering how many people have the game and how little the patches are adding.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've been reading up on this and I'm starting to feel an odd twangy feeling that means I might actually want to buy a car sim. I've never been remotely interested before, but something about the way this game is described, warts and all, seems so fascinating to me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Amon37 said:

45 basic a-spec events most with more than one race. probably at least 120 races.

60 license tests

7 (?) special events, most with multiple tiers.

b-spec, online, arcade, time trial etc

there is plenty of content. It is a little scattergun, but hopefully they'll support it for a long time.

Amon37

mrklaw said:
45 basic a-spec events most with more than one race. probably at least 120 races.

60 license tests

7 (?) special events, most with multiple tiers.

b-spec, online, arcade, time trial etc

there is plenty of content. It is a little scattergun, but hopefully they'll support it for a long time.

There is content but I don't know, maybe I was expecting more, maybe I get irritated when a Volkswagen bus is a premium car but a Veyron is a standard car.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Amon37 said:
There is content but I don't know, maybe I was expecting more, maybe I get irritated when a Volkswagen bus is a premium car but a Veyron is a standard car.

understandable. But with such a large car collection, you're never going to please everyone. I hope they eventually go through and redo the entire collection as premium - or at least give them a makeover. imagine how bad they'll look on PS4. They can't just drop them, there are too many classics.

dwebo

Amon37 said:
Isn't Bugatti owned by Volkswagen? It is a bit weird that they were able to premium-ify a bunch of niche VWs but not a Veyron, though I guess they could've all come from one collector or a museum.

Jay Sosa

Mush said:
atm, it would seem so. :/

Wow, why in the world would they do that?

I better not tell my GT crazy friend about that (yes I know only one) he already was pissed that the game kept asking him if he wants to play online (just like me he hates playing online) so hearing that the new features (that should've been implemented from the get go) are online only he'll probably will get even more pissed.

What the fuck is wrong with you PD?

Shaneus

Angst said:

I'm just happy they're supporting GT5 and once we get these smaller fixes down I'm anticipating bigger updates. First TT then hopefully some new cars and/or tracks.

http://www.speedtest.net/global.php#0
Not everyone lives in North America. Shit speed is pretty much the norm nationwide in Australia and I'm sure other countries too.

This many fixes this soon after a game has been boxed and released is just woeful. Very frustrating, especially when firing the game up regularly results in having to wait around for at least 10-15 mins before I get to the main menu screen.

Juicy Bob

Jay Sosa said:
Wow, why in the world would they do that?

I better not tell my GT crazy friend about that (yes I know only one) he already was pissed that the game kept asking him if he wants to play online (just like me he hates playing online) so hearing that the new features (that should've been implemented from the get go) are online only he'll probably will get even more pissed.

What the fuck is wrong with you PD?

As Kaz has said he plays this game online more than anything, added to the fact that all of the updates so far have been online-focussed, it could be that the online mode is what lies at the centre of Polyphony's focus onthis game. More so than anything else.

plainr_

TTG said:
I know we're all talking about the new patch and everything, BUT. If anyone else out there has a Z06, go ahead and get the race conversion. Mine is about a second faster than a ZONDA R around Laguna Seca. Maybe this is because of me getting better at the game or maybe that lap time wasn't set on soft racing tires(although I doubt it). Either way, it's at least just as fast, which is tremendous. There's no tuning involved either. It's as safe as a baby kitten with 848hp(I'm assuming we'll make it to 860is once it's broken in)

I'm not a corvette fan but with all this talk about the Z06 with RM here and on GTP, I think I may have to get one. I did get murdered by one on the The Ring the other day. :lol

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why does the fucking menu take so long to load? Its pretty much nothing more than a jpeg that you click on in different places. click on anything and it requires another load.

I wouldn't have such an issue with the godawful UI if it was at least quick to bounce around.

Darkangus

When I start my Ps3 I was have the last patch downloaded and instaled... =)

well that is a Plus thing... :D

Now seriously, I guess that I'm lucky to live in a country that has high internet speeds, mine is 60mb, but I think this patches are not that big and the improvement to the game is well worth...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just realised. GT5 has a JGTC event, but its bloody open to any Japanese car. So I entered and won with the Furai. *every* other car was a JGTC car. Clearly PD wanted it as a JGTC event, so why not restrict entry to those cars, like the German Touring Car championship, or the NASCAR event?

I think this'unrestricted' element of events is my biggest issue with the game. Its *too* open. I want more one-make races, more HP limits to make the racing closer.

that and the fact that the cars aren't just cars, they're all fucking modded. If I want a close race, and its a bunch of hot-hatches, I should just be able to choose a proper hot hatch. Also, I shouldn't have to read the entry list to see what nonsense mods the AI cars have. If the AI is driving a megane or a VW golf, I should just be able to buy a golf and race. But oh no, I have to check the entry list, note BHP/weight of the group, go and buy a car in the right class, then mod it just enough to be competitive but not too much to dominate. Then I *might* have a close race and I *might* feel that a victory is down to the quality of my driving and not because I bought one mod too many for that race.

The open-ness actually detracts from the sense of achievement in some ways, and that's disappointing.

PD better fix the AI and give is the option to turn it off in all modes if they want to add mech damage to everything.
More than once the AI made me almost threw my game out the window.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
gundamkyoukai said:
PD better fix the AI and give is the option to turn it off in all modes if they want to add mech damage to everything.
More than once the AI made me almost threw my game out the window.
Had they applied AI changes in Prologue?

nib95

Banned
jey_16 said:
So I'm on level 13 and I have enough for the 458. Should I buy it? I'm debating between the 458, mp4-12c and the SLS.

The 458 you can use in an Italian Ferrari race later. But you could also buy a Gallardo which you can use in the lambo race plus a Gallardo only one later. But you do win a few Ferarri's later down you can use to do the Ferarri challenge.

X-Frame

Crakatak187 said:
Finally found a Supra RZ 97 :D

Did a complete overhaul on the engine and body.

I'm still waiting for one. What hp does the beast put down with all the upgrades? I hope at least 800+ ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom